The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday March 1st, 2023

@aliaschiefHappy birthday!   🎂🍾

Thanks for the Daily and Cares reports each day.   Thanks for all the information on the beverages and the great recipes. Today's cocktail sure contains some strange liquor, the things they are coming up with.  Today's wine we have had a Syrah, not the exact vineyard but from Bocksberg winery on the Volendam as a substitute as a cellar selection that they were out of. It was okay.   

We are now cruising the Amazon.  We had to stop for paperwork and to pick up our Amazon pilot.  March 1, our cruise is beginning to wind down.   Since this is a sea day I will do more with photos and start organizing stuff that I want to bring home.  Of course the gym too 

Prayers for all on our Care list, the three police officers in KC and the people of Ukraine.   Have a great day!  Nancy 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Daily-ites.

Can't sleep. I've been up since 2 and its now 2:45. We are on our way to Fanning Island (hoping) as Sandi posted in our Fleet Report.

Lifting.prayers and thoughts going out to all in despair. So many suffering in our world.

Going to try a nap.

Rabbit, white rabbit!!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Sandi, thank you for starting the day, you have done Rich proud. All his efforts have paid off.  And Vanessa, you have done Roy proud, by so meticulously keeping our lists. Even organizing them a bit more. 

It is another lovely, dry morning here. As much as I love this weather, I know we need the rain. Bindi seems to have finally overcome her stress. Of course seeing her favorite mail carrier yesterday surely helped. Final rug cleaning, Bindi walks and my afternoon HIIT class round out the day. 

1E19C347-D38A-446C-A6B0-E7B1867E6AF4.jpeg.91cdfcacd70a557445c7e649ba5fba27.jpeg

ED56486F-C9D2-4B0D-9038-4CAA400721A2.jpeg.d3d4eaaabcf85df3b941ecb63401b2e7.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating- Happy Birthday Bruce! @aliaschief

Get well & stay well everyone!

Backsberg Pumphouse Shiraz 2020, Paarl, South Africa

Another somewhat elusive wine, but can a wine whose grapes were grown in “chocolate cake soils” be bad?  I need a taste first, but the price is certainly right. Just not available in my neighborhood. I found one online distributor offering it for $11.67 + shipping.

Winemaker notes 

VINTAGE 2020 W.O. COASTAL REGION
The Family Tree honours the rich tapestry of people and places that were integral in the Backsberg legacy. The Pumphouse was a humble concrete structure, traditionally located high up on the slopes of the mountain. A vital life-source for happy healthy vines, this structure epitomises Backsberg’s approach to winemaking, being unassuming but extraordinary.
VITICULTURE Grown in weathered granite and Chocolate Cake soils on high elevation mountain slopes with cooling breezes from the Atlantic. This ensures optimal berry ripening. Open-armed 22 year-old lyre trellised vines provide maximum sun exposure with carefully considered drip irrigation encouraging ideal flavour development. 8 tons/Ha delivers concentrated, high-quality fruit.
VINIFICATION Soft-skinned Shiraz was fermented warm for 10 days. It was then pressed to finish fermentation in barrel. Aging occurs for 14 months in small French and American oak barriques.
TASTING NOTE On the nose expect old spice, cedar and vanilla. Exhibiting a wonderful velvety depth, this is a powerhouse of a wine with flavours of ripe plum, black cherry, mulberry, liquorice and spiced fruit cake. A generous wine that just keeps giving.
Pair with hearty stews and rich roasts
AWARDS Decanter Silver (‘22) | IWSC Bronze (‘22)

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone. Lack of sleep, a very annoying UTI and a sciatic attack have kept me busy and away from the group . Nothing is resolved yet so just waiting for a urine culture to come back and the sciatica pain to lessen. I did have a cortisone shot last week for that.

Weve been lucky so far and no snow this winter although my daughter had a tornado a mile away from her house in central NJ.

Happy Birthday, Bruce.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning! Thanks for the birthday wishes. I made it to 77!👏🏻👏🏻 🙏 Another day in the seventies and probably another record temp. Have my annual eye exam this morning and nothing else on the agenda. Well I’m looking forward to the cold water lobsters we ordered. Hope they arrive.

We have been to today’s port of call several times and always enjoy their wonderful welcome. Time to think about another Fall repositioning cruise and more lobster and fresh fat belly clams!

So back to finishing my coffee, morning devotional and prayers. Feeling very Blessed to have had so many wonderful years on this planet called earth!

@RedneckBobThis is the second time you have caused a jump start to your birthday celebration. Just give us a day and we will add it to our calendars.🤔

image.thumb.jpeg.86aa9a2b36211b73a2fd41625b156d04.jpegimage.jpeg.44bcb0751330d300f1e7659a7d7368a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6049d218268643b4d8678beb1b51640e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36316432fed41f9fa96e04834af76a6f.jpegimage.jpeg.33097dadd28a1e6872acb40de71dff94.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 19

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

Good morning, everyone!  

It will be a bit warmer here in mid-Michigan today, but nothing to get too excited about.  I will change the red heart on the front door for the green shamrock.  I'm going to exercise class this morning after I shovel out the barricade at the end of the driveway left by the city plows.  

@aliaschief

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.7e56d9a909d89ecc5ef903adcf65402d.jpg

I hope your day is terrific!

Our first recipe today looks easy and delicious!   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/glazed-honey-balsamic-pork-chops/

honeybalsamicporkchops1.thumb.jpg.38b76509ce0f669e516c3a8682715873.jpg

The next recipe looks just as good and has a different seasoning in the glaze.  I like the idea of the green onions.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-chops-with-honey-balsamic-glaze/

honeybalsamicporkchops2.thumb.jpg.fe30ed681ee6072d7e0fefe1166f5d4e.jpg

In this recipe a little Dijon mustard is used.  I would think it would be good to help balance the sweetness of the honey and balsamic.  https://whatsinthepan.com/honey-balsamic-pork-chops/

honeybalsamicporkchops3.thumb.jpg.c30c81a1df79bc720ae87e26b095c932.jpg

Time to get to work on the end of the driveway.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

Good morning, everyone!  

It will be a bit warmer here in mid-Michigan today, but nothing to get too excited about.  I will change the red heart on the front door for the green shamrock.  I'm going to exercise class this morning after I shovel out the barricade at the end of the driveway left by the city plows.  

@aliaschief

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.7e56d9a909d89ecc5ef903adcf65402d.jpg

I hope your day is terrific!

Our first recipe today looks easy and delicious!   https://www.aheadofthyme.com/glazed-honey-balsamic-pork-chops/

honeybalsamicporkchops1.thumb.jpg.38b76509ce0f669e516c3a8682715873.jpg

The next recipe looks just as good and has a different seasoning in the glaze.  I like the idea of the green onions.  https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-chops-with-honey-balsamic-glaze/

honeybalsamicporkchops2.thumb.jpg.fe30ed681ee6072d7e0fefe1166f5d4e.jpg

In this recipe a little Dijon mustard is used.  I would think it would be good to help balance the sweetness of the honey and balsamic.  https://whatsinthepan.com/honey-balsamic-pork-chops/

honeybalsamicporkchops3.thumb.jpg.c30c81a1df79bc720ae87e26b095c932.jpg

Time to get to work on the end of the driveway.   Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Those are some yummy looking chops. Thanks.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Peanut butter is not a food I eat because it is not freely available where I live.

@grapau27 That's surprising info. Peanut butter is a pantry staple in most American homes and I hadn't known it isn't freely available in Great Britain. Thanks for helping me 'learn something new each day'.

-Melisa

• Like 22

Rabbit, rabbit, white rabbit.  Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I'm grateful to the pigs who contribute to our daily meals, I admire those in the Peace Corps, and love peanut butter as long as it isn't in cookies.  I particularly like peanut butter spread on a banana or an apple for breakfast.

Happy Birthday @aliaschief, wishing you many healthy returns of the day!

@superomaHappy 53rd anniversary to you and your DH; let the love and laughter continue!

@cl8ssy ch8ssiswelcome to the Daily!

@lazey1I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell; hopefully you'll be on the road to good health soon.

@smitty34877sending good vibes for your DH's medical issues.

Well yesterday DH went to the denturist, dropped off his partial plate and we spent the morning sleuthing around for more afghans for me to dismantle.  The best buy of the day was a pink/grey/white/black afghan that looks like it was made for a queen size bed and it cost me $2.49 CAD ($1.83 USD).  I'm sure I'll be able to make at least 5 or 6 little blankets out of it for the kiddles going into foster care.  Early in the afternoon he returned to find both front teeth firmly affixed to the plate and there was no charge.  The fellow said I did a pretty good job of gluing the other tooth on, as he had a heck of a time removing it.  LOL  Let's see how long they last this time!  Today DH has coffee with the guys in his band, and I'm going to make an appointment for a gel nail fill - yesterday I snapped one off when trying to open a large Rubbermaid container out on the deck. 

I'd like to try the drink of the day; it sounds like it would be a good dessert drink on a BHB.  Since we had pork twice this week already, I'll be tucking the recipes away, and  DH has requested that we have something we haven't had in ages, so we'll be having  salmon sandwiches with tomato soup at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for all who are in need, particularly those dealing with disasters, man made and natural.  Hearty cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

@lazey1, I was so sorry to read about your medical issues.I hope things can be improved upon.It is tiring just going for various tests.

@NextOne, I hope the cardiologist  is able to help tomorrow. I will be thinking of you.

@Cruising Terri ,I am sorry that the house situation  continues to be very problematic. It is so difficult to be shouldering everything in light of DH's situation. Sending prayers and hugs to you both.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Thanks for the birthday wishes. I made it to 77!👏🏻👏🏻 🙏 Another day in the seventies and probably another record temp. Have my annual eye exam this morning and nothing else on the agenda. Well I’m looking forward to the cold water lobsters we ordered. Hope they arrive.

We have been to today’s port of call several times and always enjoy their wonderful welcome. Time to think about another Fall repositioning cruise and more lobster and fresh fat belly clams!

So back to finishing my coffee, morning devotional and prayers. Feeling very Blessed to have had so many wonderful years on this planet called earth!

@RedneckBobThis is the second time you have caused a jump start to your birthday celebration. Just give us a day and we will add it to our calendars.🤔

image.thumb.jpeg.86aa9a2b36211b73a2fd41625b156d04.jpegimage.jpeg.44bcb0751330d300f1e7659a7d7368a0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6049d218268643b4d8678beb1b51640e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.36316432fed41f9fa96e04834af76a6f.jpegimage.jpeg.33097dadd28a1e6872acb40de71dff94.jpeg

Happy Birthday AliasChief and what a memory. I can’t get nothing by you when it comes to my birthday. I guess three strikes and I am off this thread. How ‘bout I give you a two minute warning. 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. Yesterday's  snow melt refroze on the steps ,sidewalks and cars since it is only 30 degrees so far.I took the dogs out one at a time  and was a little nervous doing it.They are really good on the leash but both love to bounce around in the snow.I was afraid they would take me with them.

We have not been to the port and like the idea of the meal.I am odd in that I heartily dislike peanut butter.I think I had too much of it growing up.

I salute the Peace Core and Pig  Day.

DH has to have further tests to explore the issues found on the scan done on Monday.Today we have an early appointment  with another MD .Busy week!

DD is moving to our side of the house for the morning  so that we can leave and Tana has help.I hope all goes well.She works from home and is always on a call or a zoom thing.

@aliaschief, Bruce, a very Happy Birthday to you!

Sending my prayers 🙏 and good wishes Terry for your husband's new tests and hopefully there is nothing to worry about his scan on Monday.

Best wishes for Tana too.

Graham.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit! Wishing all the Dailyites a lucky and happy March!

I love peanut butter and always think of Jimmy Carter's mother (Miss Lillian) when I hear about the Peace Corps - she joined when she was 65! I wouldn't mind some pork BBQ for dinner tonight, but the church is serving soup before the midweek service.

Happy Birthday Bruce! And congrats to RNB for getting an early start on his!

Have a good day, all!

Thanks. And speaking of an early start, way back in March 2003 when we went on our Australia/New Zealand cruise, we flew from LAX to Sydney on March 6 and arrived on March 8, skipping my birthday. 😩. I notified Social Security Admin. that I had still aged the missed day! 😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

29 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Happy Birthday AliasChief and what a memory. I can’t get nothing by you when it comes to my birthday. I guess three strikes and I am off this thread. How ‘bout I give you a two minute warning. 😀

I see you. Got a recon team assigned to your movements! Did you notice those guys next to you last night at Sonny’s BBQ? 😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

13 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I see you. Got a recon team assigned to your movements! Did you notice those guys next to you last night at Sonny’s BBQ? 😎

You mean those three men dressed in black!  Please don’t confuse me with some alien but the Misses says I am out of this world.  😎

ECB78E25-DF3A-40A5-98AD-0DF0F9E98888.thumb.png.94456b993821a74518038ad8f1126bc6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 14

7 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

You mean those three men dressed in black!  Please don’t confuse me with some alien but the Misses says I am out of this world.  😎

ECB78E25-DF3A-40A5-98AD-0DF0F9E98888.thumb.png.94456b993821a74518038ad8f1126bc6.png

You make me laugh. Thanks.😃

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 11

RABBIT!  🐰  RABBIT!  🐰  WHITE RABBIT!  🐇

Good morning from a very overcast and grey central Texas where it is currently 69F.  So far, the weather forecast for rain overnight and into the early morning was typical, since there was no rain.  It  is now predicted for the time we're heading to the doctor for DH's four month post op check up.

So far, after spraying the heavy duty weed killer last Saturday, there is no sign of the weeds dying.  I read on line that it could take three applications done two weeks apart.  It seems the native invasive grasses and weeds may be immune to weed killers and may even actually thrive with them.  I know I call the weed and feed granules we put on the yard "feed the weeds".  🤣

Pigs are an important part of the food chain, but they are not my favorite farm animals.  I will definitely celebrate Peace Corps Day, and remember when President Kennedy established the Peace Corps.  DH and the rest of the family can celebrate peanut butter lovers' day.

I'm not sure I totally agree with today's quote.  I think you can also enjoy life in your comfort zone.

We'll pass on the meal, although DH can grill a very good pork chop.  Tonight, we'll be having Korean beef short ribs cooked in the slow cooker.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

We have been to Saguenay once when we rented a car and drove there in 2013 when Veendam was in Quebec for three days.  DH and I remember taking pictures of the area, but neither of us can find the pictures.  We think they were part of the ones that were apparently deleted when an update for my iPad removed all my pictures during the update.  We remember Saguenay as a nice, friendly town where not many people spoke English.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad the Benadryl helped you get a good nights sleep.

@smitty34877  Terry, you are not alone.  I also do not like peanut butter with one exception.  I like the peanut butter and cheese crackers you can buy as snacks.  I hope today's appointment gives you some idea about what is happening, and that the further tests help the doctors plan a treatment.  I'm glad you DD is able to work and help Tana as needed while you are at the doctors.

@NextOne  I remember Miss Lillian joining the Peace Corps.  She was quite a character, and I think that is where Jimmy Carter learned to do all the good works in his post Presidency years.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad your sleep is improving, and the swelling in your foot improves too.

@ottahand7  Nancy, enjoy your time cruising the Amazon.  It is amazing how wide it gets during the rainy season.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope you were able to get back to sleep.  I also hope you can tender at Fanning Island.  We haven't been there, but have been to Christmas Island several times.

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm happy that Bindi has settled back down and got to see her favorite mail carrier.

@mamaofami  Carol, I'm sorry you are having trouble sleeping, had a sciatica attack, and are battling at UTI.  I hope everything improves soon.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope this time the partial is fixed for good.  The afghan sounds like a great buy.

@aliaschief  Bruce

🎈 🎂  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRUCE!  🥂 🍾 

It's time to go put the short ribs in the slow cooker.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

Good morning to all of you.

Happy Wednesday.  

Interesting collection of days.

Not sure what to think about National Pig Day.  We do like Pork Chops so maybe I’ll follow RNB’s lead and go to Sonny’s BBQ for dinner.  Hat’s off to the Peace Corps and the wonderful work they do around the world.  And last but not least, who doesn’t like Peanut Butter.

I have not been to the port.  Maybe someday.  We were supposed to go on a Canada/New England cruise this coming Sept. but have changed our plans somewhat and are going to Italy instead.  It may be our only opportunity to do so.  Not sure we will ever be able to do it again. 

The wine seems nice but seems hard to get.  We will pass on the drink.

Not sure about the quote.

Still no word on the bathroom. Not even hearing from the Contractor.

The only phone call I got today was from the Mayo Clinic regarding my appointment on March 6.  They moved it again to March 22 (For my convenience).  So I was going to see my cousin that night, but she won’t be around because she is going on a trip to Europe. 

That’s about all I have for today.  Prayers for everyone.

We are holding our own and doing the best we can under the circumstances.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good morning. Rabbit, Rabbit, White Rabbit!

I'll salute pigs since I like bacon and pork roast. The Peace Corps is a great organization. I love peanut butter, only crunchy, and have some every day usually just on a spoon for a snack. Interesting quote. I like the meal (and it's appropriate for pig day!). I'll pass on the drink and yes to the wine.

I haven't been to Saguenay.

It's going to be a nice day here. It's already 44F and sunny, going up to 67F. It's injection day for me, so I've already premedicated myself. Late morning I'm going over to BFF's and we'll work in his DD DF's house doing more sorting and organizing; he's already donated loads of clothes.

@StLouisCruisers Thanks for our start today. I'm glad you got a better night's sleep. I'll be trying to stay awake after my Benadryl I just took this morning. 

@smitty34877 Prayers for DH and you as he undergoes his evaluations. 

@rafinmd Good news on your sleeping better last night.

@ottahand7 I always thought cruising the Amazon would be incredible. Enjoy!

@Seasick Sailor I hope you get some rest today.

@cat shepard Good to hear that Bindi is more her old self now.

@mamaofami Sorry to hear of the medical issues; feel better soon. I'm glad DD wasn't affected by the tornado! 

@aliaschief HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy that lobster dinner later.

@dfish Thanks for the recipes. And your dining room looks very inviting for family meals.

@ger_77 That is so clever to find old afghans to turn into smaller blankets. Nice of the denturist to not charge DH.

@grapau27 Nice lunch.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Best to DH on his checkup. 

@cl8ssy ch8ssis Welcome to the Daily!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks. And speaking of an early start, way back in March 2003 when we went on our Australia/New Zealand cruise, we flew from LAX to Sydney on March 6 and arrived on March 8, skipping my birthday. 😩. I notified Social Security Admin. that I had still aged the missed day! 😀

RedneckBob, you know some of us are not that sharp, so we will never be able to figure out when your birthday is.  You would put most of us in 7th heaven if you could give us slow pokes a clue. 

The Peace Corps do some wonderful work.  I also am going to celebrate pig day, as they have made great sacrifices for all of us.  I am thinking ham, bacon, pork chops, pulled pork, and of course a nice slow cooked pork loin.  Happy Birthday to AliasChief.

• Like 20
  • Haha 2