The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday April 20th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from a cloudy with a few sun breaks and windy central Texas.  It is currently 72 F and will reach about 79F this afternoon.  The forecast now says our rain will start about 2 pm.

Chinese language day won't be celebrated here since we do not know any Chinese words.  I don't think I have a look alike, but volunteers deserve recognition every day.  

The Emily Dickinson quote is interesting and requires more thought.

The meal looks good, but we'll pass. Tonight we're having stuffed peppers with our wine.  We'll pass on the drink (peanut butter) and the wine.

Sadly, we have not been to Fjordland National Park or Milford Sound.

@grapau27  Graham, I hope the exercises will help with your hips.  Have they suggested steroid shots for the hips?

@marshhawk  Annie, I'm glad the nurse can get you free samples of the needed drug.  I hope your DH gets a good report from the doctor.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the surgery can be done soon so you will be fully recovered for your cruise this summer.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, great news that the last of the work on the house is finished today.  🥂 🍾

@superoma  Eva, thank you for stepping in and taking over the lists while Vanessa @JazzyV is enjoying a much deserved cruise and trip to Germany.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope the doctor has a simple plan to fix your DH's problem.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, is tomorrow a travel day?  If so, safe travels.

Lenda

I asked about Steroid injections.

They said if it had been tendons, bursitis etc they would work but with severe arthritis the replacement or exercises is recommended.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Just a bit of trivia from my list monitoring over the last ten days

we are at least 67 strong. 
countries represented are USA, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, italy

provinces in Canada represented Ontario, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan,, Alberta, British Columbia 

us states represented in no particular order FL, CA, SC, WA, PA, MA, KS, MN, MI, CO, IL, VA, OR, UT, NY, WI, NJ, GA, MD, TX, AZ, SD, and 4 undefined

i found this interesting.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

45 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I asked about Steroid injections.

They said if it had been tendons, bursitis etc they would work but with severe arthritis the replacement or exercises is recommended.

Graham, your answer explains some things.  DH had bursitis and the shots worked for that.  When they tried the injections in the hip joint, they didn't work.

34 minutes ago, superoma said:

provinces in Canada represented Ontario, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan,, Alberta, British Columbia 

us states represented in no particular order FL, CA, SC, WA, PA, MA, KS, MN, MI, CO, IL, VA, OR, UT, NY, WI, NJ, GA, MD, TX, AZ, SD, and 4 undefined

Eva, thanks for the interesting bit of trivia about our Daily family.  With your having found all this information proves our lists will be in good hands.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from sunny, but still pretty cool, Colorado. High will be low 50's although I would not be surprised if it got a bit warmer. It still dips below freezing at night. But the flowers are pushing up and the lawn service plans to turn on the sprinkler system in another week.

@kazuI know the problem of considering doggie adoptions. I swore I was going to stick with one dog and then I felt sooooo sorry for the little Chihuahua. So now I am facing the prospect of boarding 2 if i want to travel. Oh well, they are worth it.... and I just factor that into my budget and planning. Ivan looks very sweet but also very big. And on the topic of dogs .... I have my last BOD meeting for Humane Society on next Wednesday.... then the annual meeting on May 6 and then I am off the Board. Our new executive director seems very good but it will be interesting to see who steps up to do the work I have been doing. I will be glad not to have to drive out to the shelter several times a week and look forward to speeding up the house downsizing and clearance. 

I looked with real interest at the proposed pole to pole cruise for 2025. If I were a several years younger I would really love to do it.... but it just seems too long. Think I will stick will the Grand Australia which looks like an easier cruise for me. Oh decisions, decisions and no crystal ball to help me make them.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 24

I went to college with many Chinese majors. It was a specialty of the school. I also had two look-alikes in college, another student and an assistant professor. The volunteer recognitions that I have received were all lame, but that's not an argument against them.

Tortellini with asparagus and lemon would be OK with me, so please let me know when I can pick them up. I'm slightly ashamed to say that I would probably like the drink, although I might not be brave enough ever to order it. I would probably like the wine and it seems to be available in New York. I haven't been to New Zealand.

Today I need to buy groceries, possibly at both Aldi and Wegmans, and do some outdoor work.

An additional covid booster, already available in Canada and the UK, has been approved for people over 65 or immunocompromised. I will wait to get one, since I've had covid too recently to need or want one now, and probably get it about a month before Rosh Hashanah so that it will be effective during our fall holidays and the November cruise.

doubleagent.jpg.d7da70cb25ad3244751b47e45e4e31bc.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Sharon in AZ I would strongly urge you to move around the ship to many viewpoints.  I have a couple of favorite views.  One is from the lowest deck inside where you get a very closeup view of the lock walls and gates and gradually emerge into daylight but I think that is exclusively cabins on the Volendam,  The other is the passage between the Miguel and Miraflores Locks where you can look up at ships headed to/from the new locks.

Thank you Roy. Unfortunately I have an inside cabin so won’t have a view from there. I plan on roving around. This is my second PC transit so I don’t have to see everything. I plan on watching some from Deck 3. A lot has changed since my first transit in 2000, mostly the addition of the first two bridges. 

The speaker onboard is fantastic. His name is Glenn-Michael. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Chinese is a hard language for non-Chinese to learn. Sometimes at work people confused me with someone who didn't look anything like me! I'll salute volunteers, who do so much. I've volunteered at the food bank and a women's shelter. I like the quote. Pass on the meal, the drink and wine.

I've been to NZ, and in fjords, so maybe I was in the National Park. 

Another sunny day here, going up to 85. I need to get the lawn mowed before it gets too hot. Busy, busy doing last minute stuff! I'll be getting up at o'dark thirty tomorrow, with a 6:15 AM pickup to the airport. I'll actually miss doing the Lists, but will keep up with you all as the internet onboard allows. Thanks for the well wishes!

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for our start today. Great photos.

@grapau27 Sorry you need hip replacement, and I understand wanting to wait. Same for me with the knees. I hope the physio can help.

@richwmn Thanks for today in history.

@kazu Sorry to hear about the wasted trip to the car dealership, and the time wasted as well. Good luck with your decision about Ivan. And I hope once the pins come out you'll feel better.

@marshhawk I'm glad the doctor's office will help you out with samples. Enjoy Bela Fleck tonight!

@smitty34877 Good luck to DH at his appointment. And it's good to hear that the aide for Tana seems to be working out.

@Cruzin Terri Woohoo on the work being completed in the house! 

@aliaschief I'm glad you're feeling better, and thanks for the port photos and memes.

@superoma You'll do great! Here's the info: Denise T (Nieuw Amsterdam 5/28 to 6/4)

@dobiemom Prayers for a good report at your post-op check.

@kochleffel I tried to get the booster on Tuesday as I'm over 65 and immunocompromised, but CVS said they were waiting on FDA approval as well as CVS approval, so I couldn't get it.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Reposted from March 2022

Heading to Milford Sound on the Statendam

1360710185_456-HeadingtoMilfordSound.thumb.JPG.e3ab5d3eafc04b93127e2a6528c7f270.JPG

462.thumb.JPG.3bcee60d6380569643c312cb4b008e61.JPG

Milford Sound Elephant Mountain

1878348120_465-MilfordSoundElephantMountain.thumb.JPG.05078eeb6a0fd5d51bcf4d203cee4215.JPG

Seals

468b.thumb.JPG.cd238e6f637bb2a4bc2710d9a15c5a61.JPG

Stirling Falls

1445565964_474-StirlingFalls.thumb.JPG.a77c8c098719222088cf554d25f583e8.JPG

479.thumb.JPG.264754fb19e7bd2fc34c0f4bceb897b2.JPG

Passengers who did a land trip returning to the ship

1118022707_498-Shipbringingpassengerswhodidalandstop.thumb.JPG.95cae5b0f981801edab61d39a5c7b475.JPG

Crouching Lion Mountain (right), Milford Sound

656964880_501-CrouchingLionMountain(r)MilfordSound.thumb.JPG.db8db46f902d681f072e73a64c35fce8.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, superoma said:

That is an amazing collection of facts!  No wonder the Daily is the best place to meet friends. 

• Like 21

Good morning all!

The balsamic/strawberry/basil salmon last night was a BIG hit!  We'll be having that again and again, definitely.  Easy to do too!

Neither of us knows any Chinese, I think I've only been told once that I looked exactly like someone the person knew, and I salute all volunteers.  Will pass on the drink, the wine sounds great, and like Debbie @dfish, my blood sugar does not like pasta so I have to limit that.  That said, the first recipe looks the best to me, but again, between the pasta (blood sugar) and feta (kidney disease) I shouldn't have it. Tonight we'll be having salmon cakes to use up the rest of the salmon.  It was previously frozen so I don't want to freeze it again.

We will be in Milford Sound in March, but not the national park.

Yesterday I was able to get the lawn mowed, it actually turned into a beautiful afternoon and the grass miraculously was dry even with all the rain we've had.  Now I really need to get my hair cut, it's overdue because of being quarantined for a couple weeks.  That may not happen until tomorrow though.

Sharon @Sharon in AZ Thanks for the tip about open dining.  We usually have that because that's what we prefer.  But a few months ago when I learned about my kidney disease and need to limit sodium, we requested to be put into set dining.  The best they could do was put us on the wait list.  So that's where we are now.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Thanks for the heads up about the 2025 world cruises. 

Vanessa @JazzyV Safe travels and Bon Voyage!  

• Like 24

9 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sharon @Sharon in AZ Thanks for the tip about open dining.  We usually have that because that's what we prefer.  But a few months ago when I learned about my kidney disease and need to limit sodium, we requested to be put into set dining.  The best they could do was put us on the wait list.  So that's where we are now.  

I hope you get a set dining time. But of course things might change between now and then. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Chinese is a hard language for non-Chinese to learn. Sometimes at work people confused me with someone who didn't look anything like me! I'll salute volunteers, who do so much. I've volunteered at the food bank and a women's shelter. I like the quote. Pass on the meal, the drink and wine.

Another sunny day here, going up to 85. I need to get the lawn mowed before it gets too hot. Busy, busy doing last minute stuff! I'll be getting up at o'dark thirty tomorrow, with a 6:15 AM pickup to the airport. I'll actually miss doing the Lists, but will keep up with you all as the internet onboard allows. Thanks for the well wishes!

Vanessa, safe travels! Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 14

45 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

The speaker onboard is fantastic. His name is Glenn-Michael. 

We had Glenn-Michael on my Greenland/Iceland cruise in 2019.  I agree he was very good.  We never missed a presentation!

• Like 15

38 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for our start today. Great photos.

@grapau27 Sorry you need hip replacement, and I understand wanting to wait. Same for me with the knees. I hope the physio can help.

@richwmn Thanks for today in history.

@kazu Sorry to hear about the wasted trip to the car dealership, and the time wasted as well. Good luck with your decision about Ivan. And I hope once the pins come out you'll feel better.

@marshhawk I'm glad the doctor's office will help you out with samples. Enjoy Bela Fleck tonight!

@smitty34877 Good luck to DH at his appointment. And it's good to hear that the aide for Tana seems to be working out.

@Cruzin Terri Woohoo on the work being completed in the house! 

@aliaschief I'm glad you're feeling better, and thanks for the port photos and memes.

@superoma You'll do great! Here's the info: Denise T (Nieuw Amsterdam 5/28 to 6/4)

@dobiemom Prayers for a good report at your post-op check.

@kochleffel I tried to get the booster on Tuesday as I'm over 65 and immunocompromised, but CVS said they were waiting on FDA approval as well as CVS approval, so I couldn't get it.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Be well everyone.

Reposted from March 2022

Heading to Milford Sound on the Statendam

1360710185_456-HeadingtoMilfordSound.thumb.JPG.e3ab5d3eafc04b93127e2a6528c7f270.JPG

462.thumb.JPG.3bcee60d6380569643c312cb4b008e61.JPG

Milford Sound Elephant Mountain

1878348120_465-MilfordSoundElephantMountain.thumb.JPG.05078eeb6a0fd5d51bcf4d203cee4215.JPG

Seals

468b.thumb.JPG.cd238e6f637bb2a4bc2710d9a15c5a61.JPG

Stirling Falls

1445565964_474-StirlingFalls.thumb.JPG.a77c8c098719222088cf554d25f583e8.JPG

479.thumb.JPG.264754fb19e7bd2fc34c0f4bceb897b2.JPG

Passengers who did a land trip returning to the ship

1118022707_498-Shipbringingpassengerswhodidalandstop.thumb.JPG.95cae5b0f981801edab61d39a5c7b475.JPG

Crouching Lion Mountain (right), Milford Sound

656964880_501-CrouchingLionMountain(r)MilfordSound.thumb.JPG.db8db46f902d681f072e73a64c35fce8.JPG

Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV

Nice photos.

Graham.

• Like 9

Hello everyone!

I hope everyone is having a good day. We are having weather that is just unacceptable! Summer, then Spring and then Winter all in one week...yuk! It is depressing because our Winter has been so long; snowing here tomorrow.

Continued appreciation for all of the people who are daily contributors with great knowledge and things to enjoy. It is a gift, IMHO.

@JazzyV thanks so much for the great job on the Care and Celebrations lists etc. You are a well organized person! Bon Voyage to you and have a great time on your vacation. 😊

@superoma thanks for volunteering to pick up the postings of the Care and Celebreations lists etc.! Love the trivia you posted, you will do great. 

@aliaschief just have to say...roasted grasshoppers...oh my no. Bleah!! We loved Hualtulco too.

Prayers for all of us in this challenging world we now live in.

Hope all on cruises now are having a great time even if just because you are on a cruise. 😎

Take good care all!

Caron

• Like 20

55 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I tried to get the booster on Tuesday as I'm over 65 and immunocompromised, but CVS said they were waiting on FDA approval as well as CVS approval, so I couldn't get it.

It wasn't formally approved until Wednesday.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

I’m back from my post-op appt. Everything looks great, no weeping, oozing. I was surprised that my eye was still dilated. My vision is a bit “fragmented” (my best description) and I think I can see the gas bubble. My next appt is May 1st. 

Yup. Ended up (kinda) sleeping in the chair. I tried taking a nap in bed yesterday but there was too much pressure on my cheeks.  I thought it was my big/heavy head. Tried again at bedtime after making some adjustments but I think the bed unit doesn’t work well since we have a waterbed. Only lasted 2.5 hours. Sleeping in the chair has its drawbacks also. My butt is too heavy. 😁 I’ll make more adjustments to both and see what happens. 

My GF and I had made 2 reservations for Vegas so even though the May trip is cancelled, we are still going in July. Elevation restriction should be over by then. 

Thank you again for your prayers and well wishes. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, dobiemom said:

I’m back from my post-op appt. Everything looks great, no weeping, oozing. I was surprised that my eye was still dilated. My vision is a bit “fragmented” (my best description) and I think I can see the gas bubble. My next appt is May 1st. 

Yup. Ended up (kinda) sleeping in the chair. I tried taking a nap in bed yesterday but there was too much pressure on my cheeks.  I thought it was my big/heavy head. Tried again at bedtime after making some adjustments but I think the bed unit doesn’t work well since we have a waterbed. Only lasted 2.5 hours. Sleeping in the chair has its drawbacks also. My butt is too heavy. 😁 I’ll make more adjustments to both and see what happens. 

My GF and I had made 2 reservations for Vegas so even though the May trip is cancelled, we are still going in July. Elevation restriction should be over by then. 

Thank you again for your prayers and well wishes. 

I'm delighted for you that everything looks great.

Graham.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Interesting news from the Inside Cabin WC thread.  Two world cruises in 2025.  Volendam doing Pole to Pole from FLL 133 days and Zuiderdam doing a traditional WC from FLL 124 days.  Should be popular.

Quoting myself to note a clarificiation from Pete on his WC thread.  The Pole to Pole on Volendam is not considered a world cruise, rather it is a very long Grand Voyage.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Quoting myself to note a clarificiation from Pete on his WC thread.  The Pole to Pole on Volendam is not considered a world cruise, rather it is a very long Grand Voyage.  

I noticed that!  Funny because the Pole to Pole Grand Voyage is actually longer than the World Cruise. 😄

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, superoma said:

Denise, if you are comfortable sharing which cruise you are on in 38 days I will add you to our list. I apologize if you told us but I missed it. And if you don’t want to share, that is ok, too. Have a great day.

I am going to Alaska May 28, 2023, to June 4th, 2023, on the Niew Amsterdam Whittier to Vancouver. Hoping to see whales!

• Like 16

@Cruising-along Contact Ship Services before you board & fill out a Special Needs form for your dining issues.  Then, when on board, all the dining venues have 'special menus' for the next night's dinner....you pick out what you want, give it to your server or the maitre'd --- somebody checks with the chef in that venue to approve your choices for the next night or let you know that what you picked won't work & offer alternatives.  We ate in the MDR, CO, Tamarind & Pinnacle & all followed my restrictions.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And both itineraries look VERY nice. As an added note, those currently on the World Cruise have until the 3rd to reserve a spot on either. Those who have already reserved a spot have until the 12th(?) to decide which one or they default to the World Cruise. General availability is May 24th(?). I hope those two dates are correct or at least close.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 10