The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday May 18th, 2023

richwmn

Good morning, everyone!

It got quite cold last night and may have hit the freezing mark in the wee hours of the morning.  It is now up to 41F, but it was 33F when I first got up.  I'm glad we brought all the flowers in last night.  We are going back to Dow Gardens today to check out the changes since last week.  Our resident lumberjack/naturalist across the street says we need to go once a week.  I'm referring to him as a lumberjack because he had a couple of trees partially taken down and has spend numerous late afternoons/early evenings out in the  yard cutting up what came down. He will finish taking the trees down later.  A lady up the street came for her second load of wood.  She is seasoning it for her fireplace.  

Previous owner stopped by yesterday.  She had forgotten three things in the yard and wanted them.  One was a turtle stone by the deck we just finished.  We let  her take it.  The other things were two concrete art tiles made by her step children.  The next door neighbor had taken those to give to the first wife, the mother of the kids.  I just said that those had gone out a long time ago.  Ooops!

Today's drink sounds like something I would like and I'd love to try it sometime.  I am thrilled that our dirty dishes get hidden and washed by our dishwasher.  I never had one before and I am loving this one. 

Today's meal would be a treat for me.  Once you have the flatbread, the toppings are yours to choose.  I look at these recipes as suggestions for toppings and would add what I like or take out what I don't.  This first one gives us a good flatbread recipe:  https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/homemade-flatbread-pizza-recipe/

flatbreadpizza1.thumb.jpg.38fe3422d4afe39953292408e0fc5323.jpg

You can get your flatbread ready made at the grocery store to make even quicker and easier.   But, here is another recipe if you like to make from scratch. https://www.inspiredtaste.net/46230/flatbread-pizza/

flatbreadpizza2.thumb.jpg.02e91de094b9d97d6e8d2798908882c8.jpg

Here's another take on things.  https://www.theseasonedmom.com/flatbread-pizza/

flatbreadpizza3.thumb.jpg.aa830b57094183a08837eb12d84a4d8d.jpg

This recipe has a lot of ideas for your flatbread pizza.  Want Hawaiian pizza?  Barbecue Chicken pizza?   Read on!  https://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/flatbread-pizza-recipe/

flatbreadpizza4.thumb.jpg.fb76d1d76ffbd2aac246be7d0db87ab1.jpg

Here's hoping you have a wonderful day!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s another nice day here although rather chilly, the downstairs heat kicked in, on the plus side it looks like the frost missed us.  @dfish thanks for pictures and recipes, they look tempting.  This morning I paid the bills that will be coming due during our trip. 

Yesterday the pet sitter and ride service both confirmed.  Now to add an umbrella and light coat to my suitcase.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.png.aac7e6e8d94c2c9404202499672524f3.png

• Like 24
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, ocean sounds said:

Good morning, and thank you for the Daily and Fleet report. 

@puppycanducruise, stay warm, that is a cold morning! 

@summer slope, hoping for a good checkup for your Bailey!  And thank you so much for your wonderful drink recipes.

@portofrome, we (DD, DGS and I) will be sailing from there (Port of Rome!) exactly 3 weeks from today on Symphony of the Seas.  So looking forward to our pre-cruise visit to Italy, and our 7-day cruise!

@Mr. Boston, I have an Expedition cruise in September that ends in Boston!  Halifax, NS to Boston, History, Seafood and Nature Reserves. Just 7 days, but I think it will be fun to try an Expedition ship, with emphasis on science, biology and Nature - and the Seafood, Yum!

@grapau27, thank you for explaining the significance of the days, and your cheerful encouragement to all.  

@Denise T, you must be so excited counting down the days!

prayers to all in need, and cheers to those with good news.  Have a wonderful day!

P.S.  Very thankful that my post was not cloned today!!

Thank you.

We have had a nice picnic at the beach.

IMG_20230518_135111.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We've visited many museums over the years but one that truly stands out in my mind is the Museum of Antiquities in Cairo, Egypt.  There we were able to see the actual mask of King Tut - something I'll never forget.   Neither DH nor I like to see dirty dishes in the sink.  Although we have a dishwasher, I have never minded doing dishes - I'd rather clean everything up and put them away than having a mess in the sink.  While we won't visit relatives today, we plan on taking a couple of days this summer to head to the south part of the province to do just that.   I don't have a problem with today's quote.   LOL

Well the cold front that brought us the smoke also brought cold - this morning we're sitting at a chilly +4 (39F).  I kept checking the weather app last night to see if we had to run out and cover the plants, but finally trusted it after a few hours when it said we would only see a low of +3.  There's a stiff breeze which will either blow the smoke away or bring us more, I'm not sure which.  All I know is it's cold out and we'll definitely need jackets if we're going anywhere.  

A little concerned about our family currently in Japan - they're due to fly home on WestJet on Saturday, but beginning tomorrow, the pilots may either be on rotating walkouts or will be locked out.  So far our DS hasn't had an email from the airline indicating their flights are unavailable, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that they'll be able to get home as scheduled.

It's too cold and windy to even think about doing yard work today, so will likely just stay indoors doing laundry and never ending vacuuming and dusting.  When I read today's drink of the day suggestion, I thought it might make a great dessert drink - yum!  We'll be having pizza tomorrow, but the idea of making our own flatbread is a good one; our recently widowed friend started making his flatbread during the lockdown and has become quite good at it.  Because it's chilly out, I think I'll warm us up a bit by tossing a frozen rotisserie chicken carcass in a pot and will make a pot of chicken soup; that'll also help use up some of the frozen vegetables that are taking up way too much space in the freezer.  I'll likely make a batch of 2 hour buns as well, so we'll be enjoying chicken soup and fresh buns at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially for our Daily furry friends who are having issues and vet visits.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31

Good morning!  Very early post from me, as I got up at 5am.  So far, have taken out the trash for collection today, run the dishwasher (in time for today's honor), caught up on Red Cross emails, and updated several things on various devices.

Recovery from first plastic surgery is going and going!  I really can't go out too much without a bandage on my "forehead flap" and a big floppy hat.  This is not an attractive look, and I don't want to inadvertently scare some younger child!  Can't wait till June 8 and 2nd surgery!  Life without glasses is quite challenging.  I would be doing lots of reading, but that is not possible.  Readers perched on my chin are quite the look!

It looks like a beautiful day although last night's TV weather indicated that we might be in for some rain over the next few days.  Rivers, creeks and streams are very high all over Western Colorado.  Just hope this water can help refill Lakes Powell and Mead.

I love NYC as a cruise port.  Just spent two days there on Rotterdam on 150th TA cruise.  Have also sailed in and out on Zuiderdam, and a River cruise.  My photos are much the same as those already posted.  At least this last time I finally made it to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - two bucket list items.

Think I will head back to bed and see if I can get another couple hours of sleep.  Have a great day everyone.  Thanks to all who make this "The Place to Visit."

Mary Kay

• Like 27

Good morning from central Texas.  It is 71F with a predicted high of 84F.  We have sun with a very few scattered clouds and so far no wind.  This morning, I getting an haircut, and on the way I'll stop at the store and the bank.  

We have seen some interesting museums in our travels, and some not so interesting.  Three that stand out are the one in Cairo that Gerry @ger_77 mentioned and the Hermitage in St. Petersburg.  The third is the national museum in Tirana, Albania.  It was interesting, but the guide insisted on stopping at every display case and telling us about every item.   All our dirty dishes are hiding in the dishwasher waiting for a full load.  The ones that need hand washing are done right after dinner and put away before we go to bed after air drying.  Most of our relatives that we've visited over the years have all died.  We see the DDs when their schedules and ours (the easy one) work out.

I found today's quote amusing, and probably partially true.

The flatbread pizza looks interesting.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.

When DH was stationed at Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, NJ, we would drive into NYC on Sunday morning every few weeks, and I spent a week between semesters my freshman year on a trip led by one of the Journalism professors.  We have sailed into and out of NYC several times, and in 2011, it was a stop on a TA on Prinsendam.

By the time I saw Grauman's Chinese Treater, it was Mann's Chinese Theater.  That day, since it was a turnaround day, we were pressed for time and did not try to go inside.  

@puppycanducruise  Melanie, I hope the frost did not harm the apple trees.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm glad the covid test was negative, but sorry about the colds.  Always enjoy seeing pictures of New York.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, if you would like, I can post the links to the day's ports and your pictures while you are visiting relatives and attending the graduation.  Thanks for the pictures of NYC.

@summer slope  Dixie, I hope Bailey gets a good report from the vet today.

@Nickelpenny  The party yesterday and the custom song to celebrate your retirement sound nice.

@smitty34877  Terry, I also like the Washington Square area.  The first night on the college NYC trip, the group of students headed to an Italian restaurant in the area.  One of the girls was from Brooklyn and knew the restaurant.  An to think, my father probably thought his professor friend would be chaperoning us all the time.  I think my father also forgot the drinking age at that time was 18. 🤣

We stayed in a relatively inexpensive hotel near Times Square, the Taft.  We learned that was where the working ladies took their John's.  On DH and my first foray into the the city, I showed DH Washington Square, and the Taft.  As we were walking by the hotel, arm in arm, one of the ladies tried to take him away from me.  😁

@cruzn single  Mary Kay, I hope the healing will begin to go more quickly.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope your family can get home on time.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm sorry about the dryer being damaged.  I hope the store can get an undamaged replacement quickly.  This must now be beyond frustrating.

343334059_1269305407005875_8283662274088774047_n.thumb.jpg.ed0404df6c4afc77aa4f6fd62cbe81d7.jpg

343431764_623817972926043_7092444647149297399_n.thumb.jpg.4da9df1b45c3861da32156d269775086.jpg

343446829_1249199772652858_5275028945298956332_n.thumb.jpg.0f9e6309526b9c63fd66080e4911dcfd.jpg

343611480_1664765817306492_1296909987669541010_n.thumb.jpg.24831858f34ebf95983f430766652d3a.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 20
  • Haha 15

This is what I posted the other two times NYC has been the port of the day.

We have been to NYC many times beginning in 1966 when a college journalism professor took a group of students to NYC to visit various media outlets and related businesses.  Four of us even got to sit in the studio during a broadcast of the Huntley, Brinkley Report, which was done without an audience.  While we were waiting to go into the studio, we were standing near the dressing rooms for the Tonight show.  We did not see Johnny Carson or Ed McMahon, but the actor Stephen Boyd stopped to talk to me.  He wanted to know if I was a model.  

Starting three years later, DH and I made many day trips to the city while he was stationed at Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, NJ.  On Sunday mornings, we were 45 minutes from Times Square by car, but we'd park on Governors Island as it was still an active military facility.  NYC was the only place I could show DH around.  

We've sailed out of NYC three times, once on the Rotterdam, once on the old Regal Princess and once on Tahitian Princess.  The first two were also roundtrips, so we've sailed into NYC twice.   In 2011, It was a port on our Prinsendam TA.  I'll check my pictures to see what I have that is different.

These are some pictures of Manhattan taken from the various ships as we sailed in or out of the harbor.

In 2003, the Rotterdam sailed from NYC the day after the blackout that covered a lot of the northeast.  Because of delays and cancellations of flights, the ship did not sail until early the next morning.  These pictures were taken while the ship was docked, one before sunset and one at night of the same scene.

IMG_1606.thumb.JPG.572e4c99524628cc6695f7728c30ce34.JPG

IMG_1613.thumb.JPG.ffdaab8fdf0b14e010e7683e43d5730e.JPG

These were taken on the very early morning return to NYC on the Rotterdam.

IMG_2430.thumb.JPG.6f6a66dd7ba34a1fbc5b695e6cd62ca9.JPG

The sunrise behind lower Manhattan

IMG_2435.thumb.JPG.9c42ca7594af611b20a6b01d00456a75.JPG

Ellis Island and the sun just beginning to brighten the New Jersey side of the river

IMG_2439.thumb.JPG.51497c6b6b4b62884479103fed164bc9.JPG

IMG_2441.thumb.JPG.2caaa80b25641adf01f9b817630c0bed.JPG

In 2004, we sailed on time and these are from that sail away. The first is the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum.  In the foreground of the second are the ventilation towers for the Lincoln Tunnel.

IMG_3686.thumb.JPG.17332fabe86aeedc0f8a16db6dba1312.JPG

IMG_3692.thumb.JPG.5dff35101c27c8f13dcdbe17cdc30679.JPG

Sailing from Brooklyn around lower Manhattan with Battery Park in the foreground.

IMG_6011.thumb.JPG.b8bc8cd87c0cfe7ce29035792a04db4c.JPG

The Staten Island Ferry

IMG_6026.thumb.JPG.3f1966c507d1ad8ebcbfaeda58b66184.JPG

The next pictures are from our port day in 2011 on the Prinsendam.  We spent most of our time in lower Manhattan to see ground zero and the new construction.

A Subway station

P1010822.thumb.JPG.673946ddd3f8cf2d91b02df79f42c0b1.JPG

A fountain in lower Manhattan

P1010823.thumb.JPG.8189ddc92e5831627c02db56eef9d6ed.JPG

St. Paul's Chapel

P1010828.thumb.JPG.be525b469613ab82c5796303e83a77cc.JPG

P1010832.thumb.JPG.fa7726c28d1c891a1ade7c39ab52b948.JPG

P1010833.thumb.JPG.3d34ab5c18b8471c64fddfd710f39f1a.JPG

The new construction from an observation room which accounts for the distortion

P1010839.thumb.JPG.32dc164ac7c91365279d128f10b3b4e0.JPG

Times Square on a cool, rainy day.

P1010840.thumb.JPG.227fd40ad48ad4178428919732a8db60.JPG

Tad's where we often ate when DH was in the Army.  It was cheap.

P1010844.thumb.JPG.1f8e6cfbaf0a10f9fb7549076119f762.JPG

A street on the way back to the Prinsendam

P1010845.thumb.JPG.dd68df1d72df15f250c75343416c7c8f.JPG

Sailing under the Verrazano Bridge 

P1010877.thumb.JPG.40f30dde4b8ba7be4a36436c69243adf.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Thursday  May 18 care and celebration list

Crabby Patti caring for DF  who is no longer ambulatory

Jazzyv with knee and back pain but doing things

Cunnorl recovering from surgery 

Cruznterri’s dh taking it easy after mohs surgery

1angelcat with a very sick kitty

Heartgrove concerned for Sam

NextOne with new afib concerns

Wildfire and tornado victims

Smoke from the wildfires moving east

Too many shooting victims every day

Citizens of Ukraine and the Sudan 

From the rotation:

Summer Slope’s friend with a brain injury

Scrapnana getting chemotherapy

NextOne needing valve surgery 

Former president jimmy Carter in Home hospice care

Celebrations

Tana responding to medication and walking with walker

Surgery date for smitty34877 DH

Father David on a pilgrimage for 3 weeks (May 21)

Bennybear feeling better

Mamaofami’s dh pneumonia free

Mamaofami with good oncology report

Rafinmd fleshing out September and November cruises

RMLincoln good eye report,  surgery date for other eye august 1

Vict0rians dh home after surgery

Welcome back

Many Dailyites cruising or with upcoming cruises

3 days for Crazy For Cats(Zaandam 5/20 to 5/27)

Cruising 

Marshhawk (Nieuw Amsterdam to 5/21)

Jazzyv cruise, Germany vacation to 5/28

Cruising sister (Nieuw Statendam to 5/28)

SusieKIslandGirl (Nieuw Statendam to5/28)

@superoma, thank you for keeping our lists.  Could you add the communities and victims of the Bologna-Ravenna area flooding ?  I just saw it on TV, and here is an article:

https://maritime-executive.com/article/guardia-costiera-rescues-multiple-survivors-from-flooding-in-ravenna

prayers to all impacted 🙏🏻

Edited by ocean sounds
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 3

I think I've been reading the Daily too long.  With one of our Senators about to retire, a local Congressman is running.  He is founder of Total Wine and lists among his accomplishments being a leader in "Ban the Box".  I kept thinking "what's so great about banning Cardbordeau.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Haha 27

Good morning, Dailyites, today we go to the community nurses' office for Pat to have a "bag-change" and hopefully learn better how to do it himself.  He also needs an appointment to take out stitches.  But I think he can now come off the Celebrations list, as we are pretty much back to normal.   We will be having relatives visit us on the weekend - DD and her BF are arriving from Gander and will be around until sometime in June.   Today the sky is a light grey-blue, a little bit better than yesterday, so hopefully the smoky smell will be gone.

It will be a holiday weekend here, so things will be very busy, I have an appointment for a haircut tomorrow, but then I hope we will stay in and have a quiet few days.   Airport Saturday morning to pick up DD.  Pat is driving again, but not allowed to lift for a while.  

Best wishes for all the Dailyites, and their cats and dogs!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

May 18 is also the anniversary of the day I met DH (1968) and the first eruption of Mt. St. Helens in 1980.  We lived in Portland, OR then and had 2 small children.  That time the sound wave went over us and we didn't know about the eruption until my sister called me that morning to see if we were ok.  We didn't even get ash that time, but later eruptions we got a lot.  I still have a bag of ash I've kept all these years.

Like Gerry @ger_77, one of my top favorite museums would be the Museum of Antiquities in Cairo.  My second favorite would be the Louvre, and third the Hermitage as Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserposted.

Right now there are no dirty dishes in the sink thanks to the dishwasher.  We'll be seeing relatives this weekend at the DGSs birthday party.  The drink sounds very good, will pass on the wine and the meal sounds good.  We've sailed in and out of NYC once, photos below.

This morning I'll see the Nephrologist for the 2nd time.  It had to be postponed when I got Covid last month, and then I was traveling.  So my lab results that we'll be discussing are a little dated now, I'm sure she'll send me for more.  But those results were much better than previously, and I'm hoping she'll say good work!

Vanessa @JazzyVI'm glad the Covid tests are negative, but hope your head colds pass quickly.

Dixie @summer slopeI hope Bailey has a good check up.

Debbie @dfish Funny that the previous owner would think anything would still be there after all this time.  

We've been to NYC a few times and once on a cruise.  We and Rich @richwmntook the hop on hop off that day and had what we all agreed was excellent pizza near the 9-11 memorial.  

695044600_StatueofLiberty2017.jpg.9b71669cd79dd2d2d2a2695f03a2b560.jpg

NYC.jpg.6d3784201644e4f1376f9fce986875d0.jpg

995203777_HardRock.jpg.3f0ea0a7a6bcef25a7554135e9ba0dd4.jpg

One World Trade Center

781881757_OneWorldTradeCenter2017.thumb.jpg.701cf3ca7b0c1f93dc9f74975c767df3.jpg

Spot where John Lennon was killed at the Dakota Building

83105424_whereJohnLennonwaskilledatDakotaBuilding.jpg.0b093487501964580a3ef9622c9d9321.jpg

Times Square

1894101265_TimesSquare.thumb.jpg.1d63965f9de107f9ff951acbcbfbde1b.jpg

Metal cross at the 9-11 Memorial

2048921495_Metalcross9-11Memorial.thumb.jpg.b20f25a520ed0e7139fe6c0ded97f786.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, all! After 220 days at sea and a post cruise stay in Florida, we are HOME!
The yard missed me, and has a long to do list ready. Today’s chore is tackling the tent caterpillar nests, which are just starting to hatch.

I have no idea what time zone I’m in, or why the land keeps moving underfoot, but it was sure nice to sleep in my own bed last night!

Happy Thursday, everyone! (At least, my iPad claims it's Thursday!)

• Like 30

4 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! After 220 days at sea and a post cruise stay in Florida, we are HOME!
The yard missed me, and has a long to do list ready. Today’s chore is tackling the tent caterpillar nests, which are just starting to hatch.

I have no idea what time zone I’m in, or why the land keeps moving underfoot, but it was sure nice to sleep in my own bed last night!

Welcome home.

Roy

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!

One of our favorite museums is the Alaska State Museum in Juneau. Have visited both the old and the new one a few times. Also love the Royal BC Museum in Victoria. Dirty dishes are in the dishwasher but it takes a while to get the dishwasher filled with only me at home. Will visit DH today for several hours as I have paperwork to sign. 

DH's wheelchair has been located and will be delivered to us tomorrow. In all the kerfuffle on Monday with two transport companies arriving to pick him up, the first company being told no-way and then second one the one to transfer him, and the first company removing him from his chair and putting him in theirs, his got left at the facility. Tomorrow the daughter of the Director of Nursing is coming up to Bellingham so she'll bring it to us either at the current facility or I'll be nice and meet them at a Starbucks right off the freeway to save them a bit of time. 

DH is adapting well and I'm so glad we got him moved. The last two days I've arrived right about 11:00 AM to find him up, dressed, in the chair, and at PT. He's working on standing each day (only a short amount of time but it's standing) and he's been doing the bike attached to his chair. He's staying up a good portion of the afternoon and I'm leaving about 4:30 to head home. That's a lot more time up and engaging with others and more being done for PT and OT. 

We're supposed to be in the mid-70s for the next few days. Have a lovely day! 

Karen

• Like 30

28 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Welcome home, Laura! Hope you share some of your highlights with us!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ocean sounds said:

@superoma, thank you for keeping our lists.  Could you add the communities and victims of the Bologna-Ravenna area flooding ?  I just saw it on TV, and here is an article:

https://maritime-executive.com/article/guardia-costiera-rescues-multiple-survivors-from-flooding-in-ravenna

prayers to all impacted 🙏🏻

Done

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, today we go to the community nurses' office for Pat to have a "bag-change" and hopefully learn better how to do it himself.  He also needs an appointment to take out stitches.  But I think he can now come off the Celebrations list, as we are pretty much back to normal.   We will be having relatives visit us on the weekend - DD and her BF are arriving from Gander and will be around until sometime in June.   Today the sky is a light grey-blue, a little bit better than yesterday, so hopefully the smoky smell will be gone.

It will be a holiday weekend here, so things will be very busy, I have an appointment for a haircut tomorrow, but then I hope we will stay in and have a quiet few days.   Airport Saturday morning to pick up DD.  Pat is driving again, but not allowed to lift for a while.  

Best wishes for all the Dailyites, and their cats and dogs!

Will do! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The Museum of Glass near here has an international following. I always have dirty dishes. I don't have many relatives, not even many relatives whom I don't want to visit.

Flatbread pizza would be OK if I weren't avoiding so many of its ingredients right now (not permanently). Yet another pseudotini! I might like the wine. I've had New York as a destination for embarkation and disembarkation many times, but never as a port of call. It is a port of call for some cruises that neither begin nor end there, but there aren't a huge number of them. I was looking for a pre-dawn photo of the Verrazzano Narrows Bridge taken from the Norwegian Breakaway, but I couldn't find it.

hamster.thumb.jpg.ed32225fb5f6bdf5f1c2381f813ac72e.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 10