The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 23rd, 2023

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  DH's late uncle was a cowboy through and through; he broke his last horse at age 76, then decided it was time to give that chore to someone younger.  I love vanilla ice cream, as it leads to so many other things like nuts, cherries, sprinkles, etc.  My parents made sure we took swimming lessons, as neither of them could swim.  Exactly 3 years ago today while we were with our DS and his family at a lake south of Calgary, our DS saved a young boy from drowning.  Later that year he received a medal of commendation from the Royal Canadian Lifesaving Society of Canada for his efforts.

A beautiful day out there this morning, a hint of a breeze, I can see the squirrels running through the trees, and the sky, although hazy, is mostly blue.  It's going to be warm (30), or 90, so that means the windows will be closed in an hour or so and the A/C will be getting a workout today.  

Not a lot happening here except getting things together so we can head out to our friend's lake tomorrow morning.  I've been given strict orders not to bring food (how can I not?  It's in my genes!!!), but they didn't say anything about liquids, so we'll be bringing juice, pop, beer, and of course, wine.  We have to locate our fishing gear - it only gets used once a year when we visit them - and will have to pick up some minnows as bait, as I hate to use up their supply.  

@summer slope wishing you a very Happy Birthday, and hope the health issue is remedied for you soon.

Sending prayers for baby Murphy, that she is resting comfortably and that her little body has what it takes to fight off that darn staph infection.

I'd like to try a sip of the drink of the day, but think it might just be a bit too sweet.  I'm sure I'd like the wine, and might splurge on it for a special occasion.  The menu suggestion sounds good, although I've never had tempeh; I don't think I've even seen it in a grocery store around here, but will take a closer look next time we're shopping.  Because I don't want food left in the fridge for the next 3 days, we'll just be grazing tonight to eat up the leftovers for dinner tonight.  It'll be too hot to dine on the deck, so it'll be a grazing party for the 2 of us in the pergola tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 29

23 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser 

Lenda I loved the bombshell, tornado and earthquake picture! When I was in grade school (living in a small Illinois town) we would have drills. We did have tornadoes but didn't really understand the bombshell or earthquake drill..

Joy, we did "duck and cover" drills in elementary school in case of an atomic bomb being dropped near by.  Dyess Air Force Base was in our town, and was the home of B-52s at the time.  I guess it made feel good to have practice drills even if they were impractical.  Now days, I don't think I can duck and cover quickly, not to mention getting out from under one of the desks.  🤣

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Haha 8

27 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser 

Lenda I loved the bombshell, tornado and earthquake picture! When I was in grade school (living in a small Illinois town) we would have drills. We did have tornadoes but didn't really understand the bombshell or earthquake drill..

We also had these drills in my medium sized city in NY. It was a Catholic school with a large class and most of us enjoyed being able to talk to each other beneath the desks without “Sister” seeing us. I remember asking my oldest brother what the desk was supposed to do….he eventually told the truth.

• Like 21

16 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

We also had these drills in my medium sized city in NY. It was a Catholic school with a large class and most of us enjoyed being able to talk to each other beneath the desks without “Sister” seeing us. I remember asking my oldest brother what the desk was supposed to do….he eventually told the truth.

My brother was concerned enough about the drills, he wanted to teach mom and dad under our dining table. My brother (RIP) was very sensitive and caring.

• Like 23

19 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Joy, we did "duck and cover" drills in elementary school in case of an atomic bomb being dropped near by.  Dyess Air Force Base was in our town, and was the home of B-52s at the time.  I guess it made feel good to have practice drills even if they were impractical.  Now days, I don't think I can duck and cover quickly, not to mention getting out from under one of the desks.  🤣

Lenda

I was stationed at Dyess for a couple years in seventies. Was quite involved with local Jaycees and used to volunteer at the West Texas Rehab Telethon which had many celebrities. For great steaks we used to drive to Lowake Steak House.

• Like 22

9 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

For great steaks we used to drive to Lowake Steak House.

And we used to fly our planes from Dallas to the great Lowake Steak House back when it had it's own airstrip.  Their steaks were the BEST!  

I was on the crew of an airshow B-17 so we were at Dyess for the arrival of the first B1 bomber.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 23

1 minute ago, AV8rix said:

And we used to fly our planes from Dallas to the great Lowake Steak House back when it had it's own airstrip out in back.  Their steaks were the BEST!  

Starting too drool just thinking about those steaks.😁

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

Well, I realize that I haven’t posted yet on today’s Daily, but what an adventure we have had!

After getting our room at approximately 12:30 pm I decided I needed to rest.  Okay.  Then I decided to get the things I needed out of my luggage, specifically my carry on bags.

Then reality set in.  One of my carry-ons was missing. It was not in my room.  

When we got to the hotel the bellman took our luggage and put it in storage until our room was ready.  I was okay with that.  

Well, when I went back downstairs my bag was nowhere to be found.  They swore that the bag was not in the hotel.  I panicked because my meds were in it as well as the passports.  They searched the storage room and it was not there.

At this point i am in tears. Not only the passports, but meds i cannot skip.

They called the port, they could not find it, but would continue to look for it.  They assured us that it would not have gone back on the ship.

After the search in the hotel found nothing, Jim and I took a taxi to the port.  We met the most incredibly kind people who did everything in their power to help us.  They brought us into the room where the security cameras were and we were able to see that both carry-ons were loaded onto the taxi.  So back to the hotel.

The concierge now started to trace the bag from the storage room to its journey to another room.  He called the room and the people insisted they had no extra bags.  They were sleeping and did not want to be disturbed.  The concierge was persistent and asked to go to their room and Voila! There was my bag—untouched.  The people had no idea it was there.

Meanwhile I was a basket case.

St. Anthony really worked overtime today.

However, I met the kindest people that went out of their way to help us.

We have our passports and I have my meds.

I will read the posts later, but had to share our adventure.

Terri

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning all!

It will be another sunny day here, high 70's.  Tomorrow shows a chance of rain, we really need it (yes, it can get very dry here in the middle of summer) 😉 😄  When people from other parts of the country ask when is the best time to come, I always tell them July or August (especially if they don't like rain).

Interesting collection of days.  Living in Montana we saw a lot of cowboys, I like vanilla ice cream but only with a slice of cake or pie or in a sundae -- never just a scoop by itself.  Sadly a school friend drowned in a local park when we were in high school 😞  I remember getting lessons at the Y when I was small, then in high school in CA swimming was required in PE.  We had a pool then, so I got a lot of practice.  

I'll pass on the meal (spice), drink (coconut) and red wine.  Interesting that it's a blend with Viognier, one of my favorite white wines.  Have never been to Japan.  Thanks for all the photos!

Yesterday it took awhile, but my Grand Australia spreadsheet is now up to date with all our itinerary changes.  Thankfully so far all the private tour operators have agreed to the date changes.  Waiting for refunds on those that had to be canceled.  It will be interesting to research our 3 new ports, but so far they appear to be very small and most likely beach days.

@summer slope Dixie Happy Birthday!!  I hope your day is splendid.

@Denise T Fancy is adorable.  Are the 3 cats welcoming or shunning him?  Since things are going well I'm guessing they're ok with the new fur baby. 🙂  

• Like 26

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  I got up, watched the F1 pre-race, the race, and now the post race talk is on, I feel that I can get out of the sofa and just listen. No real plans for today, I guess watch the final episode of Doctor Blake, and see if any other race may be on today.

My parents made sure we could swim, and we did belong to a swim club (lets be honest, it was a pond) and while my mom would take us when we were little in the morning for swim lessons, she was not a water or sun fan, and would take us home for lunch, then when Dad got home, he would take us back and we would play in the water from 6:30 to 7:30.  I used to be a strong swimmer, and I loved diving, but my parents decided to save some bucks, when I went away to summer school and  Mom cancelled the membership.  I miss washing away the dust of the day.

I think we have had cowboy day before, I think I told you, that one of my grandfather's many jobs was as a cowboy, his camp mate was a young James Cagney.  

@cruising sisterNo news is no news, but if you hear anything about Baby Murphy, let us know.  Prayers are with her and your whole family.

I had a donut for breakfast-it's called a sunflower, it's huge, a cinnamon, sugar and dough that is created in the shape of a sunflower. I pull the petals off, and dunk them in my coffee.  Thing is, they are way too bid, so I ate the top petals, and DH ate the rest, along with his own.

@StLouisCruisersSandi, before I forget, DH said that it took him almost two hours going through TSA to get to Arkansas, just giving a warning!

@Cruzin TerriYou're health is sounding just like mine when I got off the ship, you might want to do a covid test. I hope you feel better soon!

Have a wonderful day everyone, I'm in search of what I can create for lunch. 

ff2b01ca20e68ce32699f406ce9b16f4--sunday-morning-coffee-on-sunday.jpg

il_794xN.1490284353_f9df.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Well, I realize that I haven’t posted yet on today’s Daily, but what an adventure we have had!

After getting our room at approximately 12:30 pm I decided I needed to rest.  Okay.  Then I decided to get the things I needed out of my luggage, specifically my carry on bags.

When we got to the hotel the bellman took our luggage and put it in storage until our room was ready.  I was okay with that.  

Well, when I went back downstairs my bag was nowhere to be found.  They swore that the bag was not in the hotel.  I panicked because my meds were in it as well as the passports.  They searched the storage room and it was not there.

They called the port, they could not find it, but would continue to look for it.  They assured us that it would not have gone back on the ship.

After the search in the hotel found nothing, Jim and I took a taxi to the port.  We met the most incredibly kind people who did everything in their power to help us.  They brought us into the room where the security cameras were and we were able to see that both carry-ons were loaded onto the taxi.  So back to the hotel.

The concierge now started to trace the bag from the storage room to its journey to another room.  He called the room and the people insisted they had no extra bags.  They were sleeping and did not want to be disturbed.  The concierge was persistent and asked to go to their room and Voila! There was my bag—untouched.  The people had no idea it was there.

Terri

Terri, I'm glad to say we purchased air tags and will have them in our luggage just in case something goes missing.  Even carry on pieces that stay with you can go missing such as in your case.  Thank goodness that concierge was persistent with those people who insisted they didn't have your carry on.  Did they really have no idea your bag was in their room?  I wonder...

8 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  I got up, watched the F1 pre-race, the race, and now the post race talk is on, I feel that I can get out of the sofa and just listen. No real plans for today, I guess watch the final episode of Doctor Blake, and see if any other race may be on today.

My parents made sure we could swim, and we did belong to a swim club (lets be honest, it was a pond) and while my mom would take us when we were little in the morning for swim lessons, she was not a water or sun fan, and would take us home for lunch, then when Dad got home, he would take us back and we would play in the water from 6:30 to 7:30.  I used to be a strong swimmer, and I loved diving, but my parents decided to save some bucks, when I went away to summer school and  Mom cancelled the membership.  I miss washing away the dust of the day.

I think we have had cowboy day before, I think I told you, that one of my grandfather's many jobs was as a cowboy, his camp mate was a young James Cagney.  

@cruising sisterNo news is no news, but if you hear anything about Baby Murphy, let us know.  Prayers are with her and your whole family.

I had a donut for breakfast-it's called a sunflower, it's huge, a cinnamon, sugar and dough that is created in the shape of a sunflower. I pull the petals off, and dunk them in my coffee.  Thing is, they are way too bid, so I ate the top petals, and DH ate the rest, along with his own.

@StLouisCruisersSandi, b efore I forget, DH said that it took him almost two hours going through TSA to get to Arkansas, just giving a warning!

Have a wonderful day everyone, I'm in search of what I can create for lunch. 

ff2b01ca20e68ce32699f406ce9b16f4--sunday-morning-coffee-on-sunday.jpg

il_794xN.1490284353_f9df.jpg

Thank you for Chuck's warning about TSA.  Does he have TSA pre-check?  We do and that may help us but I am concerned about long lines at ATL Friday morning.  Before I saw this I had just written an email to our driver (lives in neighborhood), and had told him to come an extra 15 minutes early but even now am debating how much time we need.  I don't want to miss that flight!  Has anyone used curbside check in for checking your bags, especially at Atlanta's airport?  I wonder if that would save us time versus inside the terminal.  It's usually a zoo in that area!  If it were up to me I'd go 4 hours ahead of flight time but DH says I'm obsessing.

• Like 20

44 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It will be another sunny day here, high 70's.  Tomorrow shows a chance of rain, we really need it (yes, it can get very dry here in the middle of summer) 😉 😄  When people from other parts of the country ask when is the best time to come, I always tell them July or August (especially if they don't like rain).

Interesting collection of days.  Living in Montana we saw a lot of cowboys, I like vanilla ice cream but only with a slice of cake or pie or in a sundae -- never just a scoop by itself.  Sadly a school friend drowned in a local park when we were in high school 😞  I remember getting lessons at the Y when I was small, then in high school in CA swimming was required in PE.  We had a pool then, so I got a lot of practice.  

I'll pass on the meal (spice), drink (coconut) and red wine.  Interesting that it's a blend with Viognier, one of my favorite white wines.  Have never been to Japan.  Thanks for all the photos!

Yesterday it took awhile, but my Grand Australia spreadsheet is now up to date with all our itinerary changes.  Thankfully so far all the private tour operators have agreed to the date changes.  Waiting for refunds on those that had to be canceled.  It will be interesting to research our 3 new ports, but so far they appear to be very small and most likely beach days.

@Denise T Fancy is adorable.  Are the 3 cats welcoming or shunning him?  Since things are going well I'm guessing they're ok with the new fur baby. 🙂  

The cats, especially my Chase who thinks he is a dog anyway, walk up to her and are okay with her. I think it has to do with her size. She is much smaller than my previous dog, Abby, and my cats, well let's just say they are a little larger than average. 

• Like 20
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

I'm sorry to hear about your frantic day Terri but pleased to hear you finally got your bag with your medication and passports in.

This reminded me of something less frantic but still panicking for us.

Our ship cabin had been upgraded at check in.

About 6pm our bags hadn't turned up and the ship was about to sail.

As a last resort we went with our cabin steward to our original cabin.

When we got there the occupants were sitting having a drink and our 2 cases were on their bed.

I hope you have a nice time now in wonderful wonderful Copenhagen.

Graham 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 21

55 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

I was stationed at Dyess for a couple years in seventies. Was quite involved with local Jaycees and used to volunteer at the West Texas Rehab Telethon which had many celebrities. For great steaks we used to drive to Lowake Steak House.

Your post brought back a lot of good memories of growing up in Abilene.  Dyess was a big boost for the economy and helped Abilene grow from a small city of 50,000 to a town of 125,000+ today.  While Dyess opened in 1956, it began in 1942 as Abilene Army Air Base (AKA Tye Field), but was deactivated after the war.  After the Korean War broke out, the city lobbied the Pentagon and LBJ to have the base reactivated, and impressed the Pentagon by raising $1million to purchase and extra 3,500 acres.  Dyess was officially opened on April 15, 1956.  I remember being able to tour the base when it opened.

Thank you, Bruce, for helping with the Rehab Telethon while you were at Dyess.  The Rehab Center was a special place to my family.  It was begun when physical therapist Shelly Smith had a vision of a place for children to received therapy at no cost to the parents.  With the help of the Junior League which my mother was a member of, in 1953 the center started in an spare classroom at an elementary school.  It has grown a lot since then, with facilities in San Angelo and Ozona.  My father was on the BOD until his health prevented him from serving in the late 1980s.  BTW, the telethon along with an auction is still being held.  They are planning a new, bigger facility in Abilene.  

47 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

And we used to fly our planes from Dallas to the great Lowake Steak House back when it had it's own airstrip.  Their steaks were the BEST!  

I was on the crew of an airshow B-17 so we were at Dyess for the arrival of the first B1 bomber.

Bruce and Susan, I looked online today, and Lowake in Rowena is still in business.  Did you ever go to Zentners Steakhouse or Zentner's Daughters Steakhouse in San Angelo?  They were also popular with people from Abilene.  Sadly, both have now closed.  Most people in Abilene now go to Perini Ranch Steakhouse in Buffalo Gap, which I mentioned in my earlier post.

Lenda

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

Terri, that must have been a very scary discovery.  I'm glad the concierge was so persistent, and that all the people at the pier were kind and helpful.  I hope your cold is better and that you and Jim can enjoy Copenhagen.

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

As a freshman at The University of Texas, I had to pass a swimming test or take a semester of swimming lessons.  I was a fair enough swimmer so I passed the test.

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm sorry to hear about your frantic day Terri but pleased to hear you finally got your bag with your medication and passports in.

This reminded me of something less frantic but still panicking for us.

Our ship cabin had been upgraded at check in.

About 6pm our bags hadn't turned up and the ship was about to sail.

As a last resort we went with our cabin steward to our original cabin.

When we got there the occupants were sitting having a drink and our 2 cases were on their bed.

I hope you have a nice time now in wonderland wonderful Copenhagen.

Graham 

Graham, we had a similar experience on Princess in 2001.  So many people canceled after 9/11, we were upgraded from a balcony to an mini-suite.  When our luggage had not arrived in a timely manner, I went to our "old" cabin, and there were our suitcases.  I started to take them to the cabin, but the cabin steward insisted on having them delivered.

348856598_718422453632720_8341496297510588050_n.thumb.jpg.ee4a5ead94039d90445826991c603c12.jpg

Lenda

• Like 18
  • Haha 6

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @richwmn.

I'll salute cowboys, and like good vanilla ice cream. Drowning prevention is very important; every year we hear of drownings, especially children falling into pools. My DM couldn't swim, so she made sure I had swimming lessons at the YMCA from a young age. Later at Y camp, I became a jr lifeguard. True quote. I'll pass on the tempeh wings, and the drink. Yes to the wine, although a little pricey for me. I'll take Roy's meal instead. Canada eventual unification was significant. I haven't been to Naha.

It's sunny and up to the mid-80's today. I plan to be inside and not do much. Yesterday after doing lots of bending to pick up post-storm debris in the yard, then mowing, I was in a lot of pain. Mainly my back, but also the left knee. I took some Ibuprofen when I got to BFF's house. We went out for dinner to a Mexican restaurant (it was that or Chinese), and I had a good Carne Asada (with leftovers brought home) and a strawberry margarita. We hadn't seen each other in a while (although we text daily), so it was nice. A Bermuda high is supposed to bring 90+ temps this week.

@summer slope Happy Birthday! 🎂 And thank you for all your contributions daily.

@StLouisCruisers Thank you for the Okinawa photos.

@mamaofami Happy Birthday to your son and daughter.

@cruising sister Continued prayers for Baby Murphy.

@Denise T It sounds like Fancy is settling in nicely; she's lucky you picked her!

@sailingdutchy Great photos Tony. 

@Seasick Sailor I'm glad Oliver is getting into his routine. Cute picture!

@Nickelpenny I'm the same with AC. I mainly use ceiling fans, but when the AC comes on, I get cold! 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lovely photos.

@ger_77 Wonderful about your DS saving that young boy from drowning. Safe travels tomorrow and enjoy your time with your friends at the lake.

@Cruzin Terri Oh my, you've had quite a time of it. Yikes on the misdelivered bag, especially with all that important stuff in it. I'm so glad you got it back! I hope you feel better today. And that the thermostat issue is easily fixable; maybe your wifi was down and the thermostat lost the connection?

@Cruising-along What a pain to have to make all those changes with tours, due to the itinerary changes.

@Crazy For Cats Nice. Next year I'll get to Portland. Great photo with the lighthouse!

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

Be well everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Thank you all for the kind words.

@marshhawk i have taken a Covid test and it was negative.  Thanks for your concern.  

@grapau27 Thanks for your kind words.  We are happy to have our meds and passports and money back in our possession,

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, we have AirTags for all the checked luggage but not for the carry-ons.  Even before you mentioned it here, I told Jim that we needed to get them for the hand held luggage.  That would have saved us a trip to the port today.

I still have my cold.  I am tired from sleeping poorly last night and from today’s excitement.

Tomorrow promises more rain.  

We will see what happens.

Prayers for all—especially Baby Murphy.

Good night.  I am beyond tired.

Terri

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Has anyone used curbside check in for checking your bags, especially at Atlanta's airport?  I wonder if that would save us time versus inside the terminal.

I have always used Delta's curbside check in and it has always been smooth. TSA in Atlanta can be hit or miss, but last time I noticed (I think I remember correctly) a sign showing the TSA times at the various entry points. Check for the line that is shortest, they all go to the same terminals.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Greetings from Portland, Maine!

I wanted to share some food porn, but my photos aren't syncing right now.  Grrr!

We've had a lazy day.  We started with our Virgin Marys for breakfast in the MDR.  Then we walked the deck for a mile before setting out to shop Portland and eat lobster and mussels.  
We went to our favorite spot, Gilberts Chowder House.   Great service, good food, and decent prices.  

@summer slope101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.1bcff14794a116bbb704caf8e1baf23d.jpg

@Cruzin Terri Oh, my on your luggage woes.  Sure glad it was all straightened out.  I hope a good night's sleep helps you enjoy your last few days more.

@cruising sister I'm sorry to hear of the setback for baby Murphy.  I hope she is resting peacefully and gaining strength.

• Like 25

12 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I have always used Delta's curbside check in and it has always been smooth. TSA in Atlanta can be hit or miss, but last time I noticed (I think I remember correctly) a sign showing the TSA times at the various entry points. Check for the line that is shortest, they all go to the same terminals.

Rich, I really appreciate your input on the curbside check in.  Our driver says that is on the lower level, and once the bags are checked we just go straight thru a tunnel and up to security.  DH said maybe it is on the lower level because then it's a straight shot out to the baggage sorting area.  Who knows?

Every time we check bags upstairs at the check-in desks, it's a madhouse of people at the kiosks and long lines waiting for the agents to take the bags.  What a waste of time!  And we will definitely try to find the shortest TSA pre-check entry point.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Terri, I'm glad to say we purchased air tags and will have them in our luggage just in case something goes missing.  Even carry on pieces that stay with you can go missing such as in your case.  Thank goodness that concierge was persistent with those people who insisted they didn't have your carry on.  Did they really have no idea your bag was in their room?  I wonder...

Thank you for Chuck's warning about TSA.  Does he have TSA pre-check?  We do and that may help us but I am concerned about long lines at ATL Friday morning.  Before I saw this I had just written an email to our driver (lives in neighborhood), and had told him to come an extra 15 minutes early but even now am debating how much time we need.  I don't want to miss that flight!  Has anyone used curbside check in for checking your bags, especially at Atlanta's airport?  I wonder if that would save us time versus inside the terminal.  It's usually a zoo in that area!  If it were up to me I'd go 4 hours ahead of flight time but DH says I'm obsessing.

I have done that. Took a good book and got a lot of reading done, but had peace of mind.

Susan

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Your post brought back a lot of good memories of growing up in Abilene.  Dyess was a big boost for the economy and helped Abilene grow from a small city of 50,000 to a town of 125,000+ today.  While Dyess opened in 1956, it began in 1942 as Abilene Army Air Base (AKA Tye Field), but was deactivated after the war.  After the Korean War broke out, the city lobbied the Pentagon and LBJ to have the base reactivated, and impressed the Pentagon by raising $1million to purchase and extra 3,500 acres.  Dyess was officially opened on April 15, 1956.  I remember being able to tour the base when it opened.

Thank you, Bruce, for helping with the Rehab Telethon while you were at Dyess.  The Rehab Center was a special place to my family.  It was begun when physical therapist Shelly Smith had a vision of a place for children to received therapy at no cost to the parents.  With the help of the Junior League which my mother was a member of, in 1953 the center started in an spare classroom at an elementary school.  It has grown a lot since then, with facilities in San Angelo and Ozona.  My father was on the BOD until his health prevented him from serving in the late 1980s.  BTW, the telethon along with an auction is still being held.  They are planning a new, bigger facility in Abilene.  

Bruce and Susan, I looked online today, and Lowake in Rowena is still in business.  Did you ever go to Zentners Steakhouse or Zentner's Daughters Steakhouse in San Angelo?  They were also popular with people from Abilene.  Sadly, both have now closed.  Most people in Abilene now go to Perini Ranch Steakhouse in Buffalo Gap, which I mentioned in my earlier post.

Lenda

Wasn’t there good steak in town at a motel which I think was called Royal Inn? 

• Like 11