The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 28th, 2023

richwmn

World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party

Today is Statue of Liberty Dedication Day, Plush Animal Lover's Day, and National Chocolate Day

Life itself still remains a very effective therapist. - Karen Horney

Meal Suggestion for today - Ground Turkey Pasta Bake
Drink of the Day - The Samuels
Wine of the Day - Natale Verga Chianti
Destination of the Day - Long Beach, CA US

Today in History:
1904 St Louis police try a new investigation method - fingerprints
1919 Volstead Act passed by US Congress, establishing prohibition, despite President Woodrow Wilson's veto

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 0700-1500

Koningsdam

San Diego, California30 Oct 11:00 - 18:00 17:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Florida 0700-1700

Nieuw Statendam

Salerno, Italy Overnight

Noordam

Rarotonga, Cook Islands 0800-1700

Oosterdam

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 0800-2200

Rotterdam

Cartagena, Colombia 0700-1400

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Isla Robinson Crusoe, Chile eta 10-29

Zuiderdam

Limassol, Cyprus 0700-1700

Eastern Hemisphere

Volendam

At Sea Destination Nukualofa, Tonga eta 10-30

Westerdam

Kobe/Osaka, Japan 1600[+1]1700

1028World.thumb.png.1dddc63ba187cba71a620a4832ed3c92.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 17

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator, CPAP trials

Cruising sister’s DB needing toe amputation

RMLincoln’s cousin passing

Smitty34877’s Tana with pneumonia

Mass shooting victims in Lewiston, ME

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Acapulco deaths and destruction due to Hurricane Otis

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s DH having issues

HAL Sailer’s DH recovering after hospitalization

StLouisCruiser’s DB with pulmonary fibrosis

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

BON VOYAGE Seagarsmoker!

Welcome home Live4cruises!

Welcome home Horizon Chaser 1957!

Welcome home Lady Hudson!

Welcome home Smmesineo!

Lazey1 feeling better

Mamaofami’s DH Sam discharged to home

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott moved to rehab

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL discharged to rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam Oct 29 to Nov 9, Adriatic Dream, celebrating 33rd anniversary onboard)

4 days for Kochlöffel (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell

4 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell with a few days in Barcelona before

7 days for LAFFNVEGAS (Koningsdam Nov 4 to Nov 11, Classic CA Coastal)

Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau), Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami), Seagarsmoker (Eurodam to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 16

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Happy Saturday.  Good news from Maine, let the healing begin.  Prayers for the victims and families.

It's starting to get colder here, and very windy too.  Bertie and I will head out for a walk when the sun comes up, but that doesn't happen until almost 8am. 

World's Largest Cocktail Party?   Gator or Bulldog? 

I think everyday is chocolate day.

Thought provoking quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  I hope the drink and wine are good too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a good day.  Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 10°C and partly sunny here after overnight rain.

I love chocolate and been fortunate to sell several different brands over 35years.

We have a number of plush Monkeys and teddy bears in our house.

The statue of Liberty like the Eiffel tower in Paris are superb landmarks.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 28

Going to be at a Harvest Festival all day today.  Happily my space is in the shade as it's going to be in the high 80's today.  Hugs and prayers to all our dailyites.

The Samuels cocktail:

Aptly named after the family who created Maker’s Mark®, this bourbon and amaretto drink has big shoes to fill - and it doesn't disappoint. Smooth bourbon combines with the nutty taste of Amaretto, plus fruity cranberry juice, fresh lemon and orange zest for a magnificent blend of tastes that you're sure to savor.

Ingredients
2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 part DeKuyper® Amaretto Liqueur
1/2 part Cranberry Juice
Fresh Lemon Juice
Garnish Orange Zest, Flamed Oils

Instructions
Add all ingredients to a shaker, including the lemon wedge that had been squeezed for juice. Add ice. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with orange zest.

Screenshot 2023-10-28 at 6.51.38 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 13

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Debbe, and Dixie.  I'll celebrate the Statue of Liberty and love chocolate but will pass on the plush animals. 

I have sailed from San Pedro several times but only once from Long Beach, but have stayed a few times on the original Queen Mary.    I like the Horney quote.  An interesting combination of days today from justice, one a great success and the other a dismal failure.

Nice to see 2 BHB in Everglades, the season is really starting.

I can't remember ever having Ground Turkey Pasta Bake but it sounds nice.  In fact it beats my alternative, a bag of potato chips (left over from the tour) and ice cream from the lido late night snack in Shanghai after a very long tour on October 28, 2017 with MS Amsterdam.

Roy

• Like 32

Good morning friends!  Depending on whose thermometer you trust it is either 52 or 53F here in my neck of the woods.  High today will be 79 and sunny.   It's a great day for the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail party when the Georgia Bulldogs take on the Florida Gators in Jacksonville.  Go Dawgs!  🏈 Thank you Rich  for the Daily and Fleet Report for Saturday, Oct. 28.

We have some very nice days to celebrate.  The dedication of the Statue of Liberty, plush animals and chocolate!  I am a big chocolate lover so that is number 1 for me.  I also think the Statue of Liberty deserves plenty of accolades.  The plush animals are okay but for some they are pretty important. 🧸 For instance, Ivan who has his plush toys to play fetch with Mom Jacqui.  Better do a little more fetching than usual today Jacqui @kazu!  The quote today is interesting.  I'll be glad to see today's recipes and photos of ground turkey pasta bake.  No thanks on the cocktail and chianti.  I never knew about the fingerprint usage starting in St. Louis.  1904 is the same year St. Louis hosted the World's Fair.  And a dark day in history in 1919 when Prohibition started!🍷  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers for all on our care list, DB, Scott, Mark, the people of Maine grieving their loved ones, those in war torn places and the hostages, and anyone in need that we are unaware of.  Thankful the shooter in Maine is no longer a threat.  🙏  A toast to those celebrating something and to those cruising!  Bon Voyage @seagarsmoker and Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando who are on turnaround day in Rome.  They begin their transatlantic to head home now.  I pray they are both healthy enough to enjoy their ports of call. 🚢 Welcome home to those disembarking!  I hope another cruise is in your future!🥂

The port of the day is Long Beach, California.  This is a first timer.  No links to post and I really never took any photos in Long Beach as far as I know.  We have never been there on a ship, but probably drove there while hanging out in L.A. with family members who live out in the Southern California area. I know I saw the Queen Mary once from afar.  At one point we lived in Northern California and used to drive down to see aunts, uncle, cousins, etc.  Thanks to anyone who has photos to share of Long Beach.

Hoping we all have a safe, healthy, enjoyable Saturday!

• Like 28

Good morning. Another sea day as we sail to Halifax. Last night at 6:00 PM the ship had a Block Party. We all stepped out into the hallway and got to meet our neighbors. Waiters were handing out Kir Royal cocktails and assortment of canapés and caviar. The Captain, HD, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer and CD made rounds and toasted everyone. Fun time. 
We ate in the MDR last night and I enjoyed a great New York Strip that was the best steak I have ever had in a MDR. Upon return to cabin we had different flavored chocolates. So that’s  three different types so far.
We enjoyed a guest male vocalist last night who was very good and tonight we have a female vocalist.

For a small ship she rode last night’s six to eight foot waves very well.

Time for coffee. Thanks for the reports and postings and now it’s back to being spoiled. Have a great day. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports.

It is 10°C and partly sunny here after overnight rain.

I love chocolate and been fortunate to sell several different brands over 35years.

We have a number of plush Monkeys and teddy bears in our house.

The statue of Liberty like the Eiffel tower in Paris are superb landmarks.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20210508_133758.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A cooler start to the day - a lovely 64. Very clear skies and last night’s moon was spectacular.  I have friends coming over this evening for cocktails and dinner, and we will be outside on the deck, so we will be part of the biggest outdoor cocktail party. 😎

Vanessa praying that you get some permanent relief for your pain. Thank you for keeping up with us. 

Lots of prep for this evening. This week’s winds have brought quite a bit of dust & pollen onto the outside furniture, so that will be my top priority today. Then Bindi walks, chores, meal prep and then cocktails & dinner with friends. Trying Argentinian red shrimp for the first time. Supposedly a bit sweeter than other shrimp. Another Aldi bargain. 🤞🏻

IMG_1907.jpeg.bde7f489236263767985d2d2e312cb1e.jpeg

IMG_4105.jpeg.d22dabe64972cb7ac6759ee7c29f3be5.jpeg

IMG_1905.jpeg.acf1a860d7430656eeb4653e1a90ad51.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, praying for you, Tana, your families & your support teams. Breathe. 

@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying for you & your DH. Don’t forget you. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Natale Verga Chianti

This Tuscan table wine sounds like a perfect wine for a weekday meal. Widely available and priced to try - it can always be used for cooking. Online prices start at $7.99.

Or you might opt for its “Riserva” cousin, awarded 90 points by James Suckling, though it will cost you at least twice as much. Still fairly reasonable. 

Winemaker notes

"A heady nose of wild berry and fresh cut violets lead to the well balanced and abundant flavors of cherry, blackberries and a hint of cedar. Soft and elegant yet has enough substance and staying power to stand up to meats, pasta dishes in red sauces and ripe cheeses." 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Another sea day as we sail to Halifax. Last night at 6:00 PM the ship had a Block Party. We all stepped out into the hallway and got to meet our neighbors. Waiters were handing out Kir Royal cocktails and assortment of canapés and caviar. The Captain, HD, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer and CD made rounds and toasted everyone. Fun time. 
We ate in the MDR last night and I enjoyed a great New York Strip that was the best steak I have ever had in a MDR. Upon return to cabin we had different flavored chocolates. So that’s  three different types so far.
We enjoyed a guest male vocalist last night who was very good and tonight we have a female vocalist.

For a small ship she rode last night’s six to eight foot waves very well.

Time for coffee. Thanks for the reports and postings and now it’s back to being spoiled. Have a great day. Bruce

I was wondering if you had a Block Party yet.  Lots of fun!  I'm happy to hear the steak was great as is the entertainment.  Watch out for a Galley Market Lunch on a sea day.  I hope they are having that this cruise.  Quite an experience going into the Galley to choose your lunch.  It was one of the best lunches we ever had!

Thanks for your reports from the Quest.  Keep 'em coming!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 25

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Yesterday got to 83F and today will be close to that, tomorrow fall makes it’s comeback.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds very good and I look forward to seeing what @dfish will share.  I’m marinating a beef roast so that’s today’s dinner.  While the weather is nice I’ll run some errands today.  Tomorrow another room will get torn apart and cleaned.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.caf580e92816d99f6211d93b3c982807.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 12

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

and thanks to Ann, Vanessa, Debbie & Dixie.

Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party? It’s way too cold to do that here.  So I guess I will celebrate plush animals (or should I say that Ivan will 😂 and he celebrates them a plenty) and chocolate day.  I brought back lots of yummy chocolate for family and friends.  Not much left.  I must save myself some - perhaps the broken bar the shop gifted me 😉 

Today’s quote is interesting.  I think it’s true at times but not all the time.

IMG_0930.jpeg.38bfa25ac294ed8c7dca8d52e5f9ebb5.jpeg

I am still in catch up mode here.  With luck the suitcase goes downstairs and ‘sigh’ the winter boots come up.  Winter coats not needed need to be packed up to be donated.  DD DH especially had a lot of nice ones. 

IMG_1120.thumb.jpeg.bca171374e26d7c4485502e9153c5aa5.jpeg

@aliaschief thanks so much for your report.  I’m enjoying learning about Seabourn.  Block parties are a hoot.  We had one on the Prinsendam (1st time on HAL) and really enjoyed it. 

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, pain, health issues, worries and those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1193.thumb.jpeg.3ecb8ff8f761856be6e67e0aaf6edcd4.jpeg

Have a great Saturday, everyone.

• Like 29
  • Haha 7

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

A trip to visit Urgent Care is in my plans for this morning. It seems when I was washing Sue's car on Thursday I was bitten by a wasp without realizing it. I had felt a "pinch" by my waist but didn't think anything of it. Yesterday the area was pink with a head and today it is swollen so it seems like a severe reaction. About six years ago I had disturbed a wasp nest under a tarp outside. They chased me into the house! For that I received twelve bites on my neck and face. I guess that I am more susceptible to their venom now.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

• Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Long Beach has been an easy port for us. We had a memorable anniversary dinner in Long Beach on the Queen Mary once!  We were going to stay on her but opted for better rooms.

I used to pass the Statue of Liberty twice a day on the ferry on my way to college in Manhattan. I never got tired of seeing it. Sometimes the fog or snow was so thick you couldn’t see it! That was scary. Most of my ancestors came through NY and were welcomed by her though they had tough times making a living here with a lot of resentment against newcomers. 

Celebrating!  Yesterday afternoon while I was at my last session with my Spiritual Companioning group DH received a letter from our new home-to-be staff which approves us and satisfies the contract’s requirements for authorization for a distribution as our trust stipulates when the first of us dies.  It’s all gonna happen quickly now!  Should be moving into the NJ community before Thanksgiving. And I think we’ll be able to get to a Remembrance Day with my Hudson Valley cousins.

Our realtor’s photographer came here yesterday while the sun was out!  The pictures of our views should be very pretty.  I’m sure someone will love it here. Clearing out the rooms she wanted photos of was more effort than it sounded but I’m glad we’re not trying to clear the whole place before the move. 

Im cleaning out the freezer and pantry. Tonight my friend will come for supper and hopefully take some treasures home. I’m offering her a beautiful green with white flowers tablecloth I got in Papeete. I have 2 others, they are all beautiful prints. Love that store near the market!  I’ll make a pork loin with potatoes and broccoli. The pork will be split and filled with rosemary, garlic, fig jam and feta. Dessert will be chocolates and biscotti. And wine!  Movers won’t take wine!  Good excuse to drink it up!  
image.thumb.jpg.6baa7fcaad955e2d734aa44fc2a7ffa6.jpg

The green I’ll offer her (green’s her favorite color) and the pink now on the table is one I’ll keep. I have tablecloths from Brazil, Peru, Tahiti and Tuscany!  Plus our heritage ones from our mothers. Love them all but too much stuff!  

I’m sad to leave my special groups here. They helped me heal after the very emotionally difficult move from New Mexico to here. Now here only 2 1/2 years, I’ve become very content but that teaches me that I can be confident I’ll be content in the next chapter!  Thank you all for your support. 

And thank you Vanessa for keeping my DH on the Care Rotation list. His eye pressure has been bouncing up some even on his max meds and he’s been very itchy from the meds even on more Benadryl. He’s thinking stress adds to it. I think stress adds to all our health issues.  

@rafinmd Roy that is so sad to hear of the tragic losses in your congregation. I’ve attended too many Fire Service funerals. And for the judge to be murdered for what was apparently a wise decision is just so sad on so many levels. We need high quality public servants and line of duty deaths doesn’t foster that. 

@Cruzin Terri Terri, thanks for the heads-up about the insurance terms. It’s a gotcha that’s easy to encounter. It’s so hard to utilize benefits and think of all the repercussions. Hoping Jim is healing well and you can have a calm day.   

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. Those suffering war and senseless violence, too many. 
Happy celebrations for all the milestones! 🎉

And smooth travels to all away, especially our cruisers!  After our move next month and granddaughter’s wedding trip in December I hope we get to look for a little cruise for us. 

I missed adding yesterday that one of the stepsons I raised served 28 years in the Navy, retired a Commander. His 6- and 8-month deployments were tough… when one serves, the whole family serves. His brother served a shorter time with the Army. Proud of them!  Thank you to all in our military.  🫡

Maureen 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

A trip to visit Urgent Care is in my plans for this morning. It seems when I was washing Sue's car on Thursday I was bitten by a wasp without realizing it. I had felt a "pinch" by my waist but didn't think anything of it. Yesterday the area was pink with a head and today it is swollen so it seems like a severe reaction. About six years ago I had disturbed a wasp nest under a tarp outside. They chased me into the house! For that I received twelve bites on my neck and face. I guess that I am more susceptible to their venom now.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

Putting vinegar (acidic) onto a wasp sting (Alkali) often works Jack.

I hope you are okay.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It has become more humid and will go up to 80 later. The masons are outside my window starting work on covering the hole and repaving. The dogs are side by side watching at the window.

The two dogs here have a large collection of plush toys. Fred practices dismemberment of extremities and has to be carefully watched. Tana’s Zooey just likes to play fetch, like Ivan.

I have not been to the port and like the quote. The recipe sounds interesting. My DB informed me that years ago some of our relatives were involved in bootlegging. Why was I not surprised!

Tana seems a little better today but the rising humidity and general muggy weather is hard to tolerate.

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, I think of your brother often and I was sorry to hear the medication has produced GI issues. It is a tough road to travel with this disease.

Bon Voyage to @seagarsmoker!

I hope Chuck and Annie are enjoying themselves.

It is great to see so many busy cruisers!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It has become more humid and will go up to 80 later. The masons are outside my window starting work on covering the hole and repaving. The dogs are side by side watching at the window.

The two dogs here have a large collection of plush toys. Fred practices dismemberment of extremities and has to be carefully watched. Tana’s Zooey just likes to play fetch, like Ivan.

I have not been to the port and like the quote. The recipe sounds interesting. My DB informed me that years ago some of our relatives were involved in bootlegging. Why was I not surprised!

Tana seems a little better today but the rising humidity and general muggy weather is hard to tolerate.

Sandi, @StLouisCruisers, I think of your brother often and I was sorry to hear the medication has produced GI issues. It is a tough road to travel with this disease.

Bon Voyage to @seagarsmoker!

I hope Chuck and Annie are enjoying themselves.

It is great to see so many busy cruisers!

Thank you so much Terry for your thoughts of my DB and his condition.  I imagine he is pretty miserable suffering from those GI issues every day.  Living with a pulmonary fibrosis patient in your household you are going through a tremendous amount of stress.  I hope Tana's pneumonia has resolved with the new antibiotics.  She is a trooper!  Prayers for her every day as well as your family.🙏

Jack @Heartgrove I hope you will be okay!  A Benadryl or two might help with allergic reaction to the sting.  Take care and let us know what urgent care says.🐝

Maureen @RMLincoln hoping for a smooth move and sale of your condo.  It's a lot but I have confidence in you with that positive attitude of yours.👍

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

It is quite a bit colder here this morning in mid-Michigan than it has been this past week.  We do have some blue sky and sunshine and that helps make up for it.  Chocolate day sounds really good to me.  I'll celebrate chocolate every day.  I'm thankful the shooter in Maine has been found and is no longer a threat to anyone.  I'm glad to read that Tana is breathing easier.  That is such a nasty disease.  

We have Farkle tonight since DB Bill worked last night.  It is his turn to bring dinner so that means either bad pizza or KFC.  It's one meal.  

Speaking of meals, today's meal sounds like a great comfort food.  You could use ground turkey, shredded turkey, ground chicken, shredded rotisserie chicken, or whatever you desire in this dish.  I'll give you a couple of variations and I'm sure you'll be able to come up with some of your own. https://www.aheadofthyme.com/ground-turkey-pasta-bake/

groundturkeypastabake1.thumb.jpg.2ec46d65920de792e8e7531cca7642c6.jpg

This one is kind of a take on lasagna.  Worth a try.  https://thisdelicioushouse.com/baked-spaghetti-with-ground-turkey/

groundturkeypastabake3.thumb.jpeg.1499d00d103588102a21b6c91f6a09c0.jpeg

This last one has no tomatoes, just cheesy goodness.  https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cheesy-ground-turkey-pasta/

groundturkeypastabake4.thumb.jpg.14adfc56548a9277a6fed68cb7b044af.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 11