The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday November 4th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Jacquie... I am glad Ivan knows "home". When Bandit pulled that stunt a few weeks ago I nearly had a heart attack and he found his own way home while I was out searching.

Susan

thanks Susan.  i remember your incident with Bandit 😱.  Not Ivan’s fault, the guys didn’t shut the gate properly.  I have always taught my dogs “HOME” figuring if they ever went missing they would respond to that faster than anything as it is so ingrained on the walk and returns from anywhere.  

Ivan caught on really fast.  I literally let him off leash when we get to the bottom of the driveway and tell him HOME and he tears up to the entrance waiting for me.  he’s treated of course 😉 

it’s the first time I even actually had to use the command and I’m now glad I always did it.  it worked.  I was in no shape to go hunting in my housecoat for him in the darkness. 😂  I’m just glad it worked.

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Horta once in 2002 on the Noordam III.  I don't think too many ships had called there before. 

We were there in 2000 on NCL.  I think NCL used it for their transatlantics but there aren’t that many TA’s in a year for port stops.

• Like 21

We just attended The Signature Galley Buffet. Good grief what a spread. Lobster, snow crab, suckling pig and on and on. We just swayed back to room and soon will be nap time. 

Here’s some pics albeit not very good but holding a plate, dealing with a moving ship and taking pics are not my forte.

image.thumb.jpeg.007c576dae11885b563726f83cbfd9d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f6db80f83e2793237b2006037df02f9b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c48da676542e6b069447c09861a00587.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.11f393b144f203a22561fa52366258f3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.327b9daa6466aae629cff3ee83f01224.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8787fd4879dbad54222ab053cbb9e3a6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0f37e963564a38cd1c7458123e79ebcd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2670d123bc0fa6220cab0c53e67b2597.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d330333056e93378a5422950d66771cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1b93d85248952590857c93127f149cc7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aa00e33389909fbc55e4190f2c2b9883.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.19ad869a77b33a033f9062a016186c4a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7ed25fc80ace7f883c18461d81e3152d.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. Another wonderful dinner in the Grill last night. The following Detroit Sounds show by the ship’s cast last night was perfectly executed and choreographed. Many of the guest who attended Broadway shows on our overnight in. New York commented they are just as good or better than the performers on Broadway. Unfortunately that was their last show as a group as their contract ends in Miami.

This sea day is jammed packed with activities such as trivia, lectures. We need to use up some OBC so may book a spa visit.

Time for some coffee. @JazzyVDo pray you get some pain relief. Rich thanks for your loyal and timely start to the Daily.

Feeling a little ship movement this morning.

Have a great Saturday everyone. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.f8f9644184f71df616b77b9ecad77c34.jpegimage.jpeg.4483d1e6c69d0ff55d848a45dfdad332.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cc11523f2f72b5bdc24245af2b031d9b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.27b70bf49909f970c163c4ff030e58ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a002ac85fd64c69ad1debc4913519a89.jpeg

Thanks goodness Jed Clampett was not talking about this daily thread! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

30 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We just attended The Signature Galley Buffet. Good grief what a spread. Lobster, snow crab, suckling pig and on and on. We just swayed back to room and soon will be nap time. 

Here’s some pics albeit not very good but holding a plate, dealing with a moving ship and taking pics are not my forte.

image.thumb.jpeg.007c576dae11885b563726f83cbfd9d6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f6db80f83e2793237b2006037df02f9b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c48da676542e6b069447c09861a00587.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.11f393b144f203a22561fa52366258f3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.327b9daa6466aae629cff3ee83f01224.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8787fd4879dbad54222ab053cbb9e3a6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0f37e963564a38cd1c7458123e79ebcd.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2670d123bc0fa6220cab0c53e67b2597.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d330333056e93378a5422950d66771cc.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1b93d85248952590857c93127f149cc7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aa00e33389909fbc55e4190f2c2b9883.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.19ad869a77b33a033f9062a016186c4a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7ed25fc80ace7f883c18461d81e3152d.jpeg

Wow!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

It is disappointing to miss Cadiz (excursion to Sevilla where there is a place run by my friend Lillas Pastia), Lisbon, and Funchal. I have looked before at itineraries including the Canary Islands but didn’t really want to visit them this year.

Last night had a gala dinner menu but it didn’t feel exceptional to me, and the service was exceptional but not in a good way - that is, exceptionally mixed up. One person at our table waited so long for a New York strip steak that I thought they were sending to New York for it. I had lunch today in the PG and it was as good as dinner on embarkation night.

IMG_0037.thumb.jpeg.df1de8f28a1e6c65130a2925ac9c5c5b.jpeg

Are you looking at me!

Maybe instead of a meat house they went to a strip club in NYC to find the steak!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nickelpenny said:

Happy Saturday to All and thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Great collection of days BUT I don't really eat a lot of candy so I must maybe not celebrate it as much as the other 2 days.  I have a hard time doing the quote but I try.  Not a fan of pot pies or messing around with Mojitos, wine might be good and never been to the Azores.  Wow, 3 interesting days in history!!

image.thumb.png.0debfc9095f6a539a63dde1acad50085.png

Living in AZ for probably 3/4 of my life, I have a hard time with "Spring forward, Fall back" stuff!  When I live in South Dakota, I was early for work once because I just couldn't get the stupid thing.  Now I just have to remember when I drive over to Cali that they are an hour behind us.  SMH!

Busy day today after an "exciting" day yesterday.  Going to a travel show so I hope to win something!!  (I never do).

Off to the gym.  Thoughts to the world and all on the care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

There is a cure. Just read RNB posts and if not cured you will realize that only RNB has no common sense, only cents!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'd celebrate candy day with chocolate. Community service is important. We should all use common sense daily, but many don't. I like the quote. I like a good chicken pot pie, but have never made one. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Horta. 3 good days in history.

It's partly sunny and going into the low 60's today. I took a muscle relaxant before going to bed. I had thought I slept better. Although I awakened multiple times due to pain, I didn't think I was awake as long. But my watch shows about 4 hours of sleep total; better than 2.5, but not great. And I had strange dreams, that I can't remember now. I'm back to a lot of pain and tingling when I stand. I'm trying to parcel and vacuum seal some meats I bought, and I have to sit down every 5 minutes or so.

@smitty34877 Thinking of you and the family as you remember and celebrate your dear Lou.

@seagarsmoker Enjoy St. Kitts. Sorry to hear of a passenger drowning in St. Lucia.

@StLouisCruisers Good luck to Ren today. Thanks for the Horta photos.

@kazu Oh no on Ivan getting out. I'm glad he knows where "home" is!

@aliaschief A spa visit sounds nice; although I don't like when they try to sell you all kinds of products. Thanks for the info on the motion sickness device. I don't usually have that issue. Wow on that Galley buffet!

@kochleffel Sorry about the itinerary changes, and the lackluster gala dinner. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser Nice photos. Good job on getting those heavy batteries in place. 

@dfish I'm sure River felt very special. Thanks for the recipes.

@Nickelpenny Love the meme. 

@travelnap Oh the picture that paints in my head! 😁

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to all those Celebrating.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

We are back from shopping in St Kitts. It is a very nice modern port and shopping center.  Only issue we encountered was non stop peeps wanting us to take a tour. Very nice breeze and mostly sunny all morning. 

I forgot to mention we went to the magician show last night.  Worst entertainment I have seen on a Holland ship. We left within ten minutes....

Updates - a couple of days ago I mentioned the ship stopped for about an hour. We found out that a passenger received a call that a family member had passed,  so they took them back to port so they could fly home.  

Yesterday, a passenger drowned in St Lucia.  

This has been the nicest port we have stopped at as of now. I will check in later. 

I saw the obit for the passenger.  He was a 73 year old man. My deepest condolences to his wife. 🫂 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

Good afternoon,

More happy news. Murphy got to have clothes on today. They are working on weaning her last bit of sedation so she can have a line pulled leaving just the PIC for her little bit of TPN. DB continuing to improve so things looked brighter for that family. 

I met for breakfast with some of my old work mates. It was nice to see them. One just called me and told me it was nice to see me smile. I was in a very different place a year ago. 

@JazzyVdarn on that pain. 

@smitty34877I hope you have a beautiful day with your family. It will open some feelings of loss again but also helps you move forward. 
@kazuI am glad you taught him a safe word. I always taught my dogs “where are you” and treated them well and they would come running from anywhere to great me. 

Sounds like DGD is up. Have a great rest of your day. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Good day and thanks all!  I don’t like changing times.  Would prefer to stay on standard. 
@ger_77 are you on permanent standard?  We were given the option to stay on permanent day lite time, but not to stay on permanent standard.  

@StLouisCruisers I loved your dinner story!   I’m sure it was a great experience.  We have had the pleasure of dining with the staff captain.  

@kazu never a dull moment, how fortuitous you taught Ivan home!

@aliaschiefthanks for the info on the seasick remedy.  Great to have options if I venture farther. 

@smitty34877thinking of you today as you say goodbye! 
@cruising sister what great news about little Murphy!

@Cruising-along hope your DGS recovers quickly!  

DSC_1745.jpeg

IMG_3316.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

I told you you would enjoy the Galley lunch!  It's fabulous with everything you could possibly want to eat.  We say it's the best cruise "lunch" we ever ate!

2 hours ago, cruising sister said:

Good afternoon,

More happy news. Murphy got to have clothes on today. They are working on weaning her last bit of sedation so she can have a line pulled leaving just the PIC for her little bit of TPN. DB continuing to improve so things looked brighter for that family. 

I met for breakfast with some of my old work mates. It was nice to see them. One just called me and told me it was nice to see me smile. I was in a very different place a year ago. 

@JazzyVdarn on that pain. 

@smitty34877I hope you have a beautiful day with your family. It will open some feelings of loss again but also helps you move forward. 
@kazuI am glad you taught him a safe word. I always taught my dogs “where are you” and treated them well and they would come running from anywhere to great me. 

Sounds like DGD is up. Have a great rest of your day. 

More great news for Baby Murphy!  Wonderful!  Also very nice to hear DB is doing well, too.

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good day and thanks all!  I don’t like changing times.  Would prefer to stay on standard. 
@ger_77 are you on permanent standard?  We were given the option to stay on permanent day lite time, but not to stay on permanent standard.  

@StLouisCruisers I loved your dinner story!   I’m sure it was a great experience.  We have had the pleasure of dining with the staff captain.  

@kazu never a dull moment, how fortuitous you taught Ivan home!

@aliaschiefthanks for the info on the seasick remedy.  Great to have options if I venture farther. 

@smitty34877thinking of you today as you say goodbye! 
@cruising sister what great news about little Murphy!

@Cruising-along hope your DGS recovers quickly!  

DSC_1745.jpeg

IMG_3316.jpeg

Brenda, as always fantastic photos.  That is a fierce looking bison!

I didn't post it earlier but do have a photo we took at our dinner on Prinsendam with Capt. D. D.  That was a jolly good time.  Here you go.

Here's a photo of us at dinner in Canaletto the following night.  The Executive Chef of the fleet was on board and brought us out a huge fish he had prepared for our dinner.  I only had a few bites of it since I'm not a huge fish lover.  But it was good and I enjoyed my separate entree.  George brought a special bottle of wine he had purchased on our cruise in Civitavecchia and the Captain was very surprised and honored that he had done that.  He said usually I provide all the wine, but he enjoyed it very much and asked where the shop was in Civitavecchia that George had bought it.  We were there for hours enjoying the conversation and food, and finally Captain said I have to go back to work now.  We bid him good night, then all four of us sat and chatted a while about it having been one of the best dinners we had ever experienced on a cruise.  The company was outstanding!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHtRTdJ2k-W5gkdLqTNhUd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526159922

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Lorraine @cruising sister What wonderful news!! 

Brenda @bennybeargreat bison photo (we really need a “love” button. It resembles my screen saver. 

Apparently our younger DGS wanted a sympathy splint so DSIL made him one too. (We’ll see how long his stays on). 😉

IMG_0522.thumb.jpeg.99fa589c4bab13167cfbe5191e8bbc6d.jpeg

That is such a sweet thing for younger brother to do!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.I love PA Dutch chicken pot pie, I remember my grandma making her own dough. The fire companies in Lancaster county often have dinners for it.

I am having turkey for dinner tonight. One of the country churches annual fundraisers. It is always delicious.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, I might like the pot pie, but the only ones I remember had peas in them!  I don't like mushy peas!  I spent the afternoon finishing up some sewing projects, our group is making "door hangers" to decorate the resident doors of a local Nursing Home.  Also worked on some bibs for our church group.  

@smitty34877thinking about you today as you  remembered and celebrated your DH's life.  

@kazuglad to hear that Ivan is doing well and knows "home!"  

@Cruising-alongsorry to hear about your DGS, prayers it heals easily and quickly. 

@cruising sisterit's great to hear more good news about Baby Murphy and your brother! 

Thanks to all for sharing today...the food and travel photos are great!  I'm seeing the world through all of you.  

Have a great evening, Karen

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Having mixed weather here in the Pacific NW.  Rained cats and dogs with thunder this morning.  Now we have blue skies and sunshine in the afternoon.

I have a question:  I have often noticed on this forum that people say they cannot mention a HAL Captain's name, or give only two initials of a HAL Captain's name.  What is the story behind that?

Ray

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Having mixed weather here in the Pacific NW.  Rained cats and dogs with thunder this morning.  Now we have blue skies and sunshine in the afternoon.

I have a question:  I have often noticed on this forum that people say they cannot mention a HAL Captain's name, or give only two initials of a HAL Captain's name.  What is the story behind that?

Ray

I have had that Captain's name cause my posts to be hidden and have to wait for the mods to release them because of his name being used.  They have explained that apparently someone in the past had abused guidelines concerning certain terms and it is not my fault.  So we get around it by referring to him by his initials or the Captain whose name shall not be mentioned.  Very sad they have to watch for nasty comments like that.  It's the software that catches it and makes us wait for the posting to print.

Hope this prints!  lol

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I have had that Captain's name cause my posts to be hidden and have to wait for the mods to release them because of his name being used.  They have explained that apparently someone in the past had abused guidelines concerning certain terms and it is not my fault.  So we get around it by referring to him by his initials or the Captain whose name shall not be mentioned.  Very sad they have to watch for nasty comments like that.  It's the software that catches it and makes us wait for the posting to print.

Hope this prints!  lol

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes you wonder why they don't just fix their software after all this time as the Captain is obviously a well respected person by those who have sailed with him.

Ray

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes you wonder why they don't just fix their software after all this time as the Captain is obviously a well respected person by those who have sailed with him.

Ray

I agree Ray!  We all have nice stories to share about him with others but must be so careful.  It's not fair.

Edited to add that I forgot to report in on soccer.  The Dallas team won 5 - 0 and Ren played the first half.  I wish the team website was working so we could look up scores, standings, time and dates of games, but they must have some IT people similar to HAL's working for them.  It's been down for several months.

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 13

44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I told you you would enjoy the Galley lunch!  It's fabulous with everything you could possibly want to eat.  We say it's the best cruise "lunch" we ever ate!

More great news for Baby Murphy!  Wonderful!  Also very nice to hear DB is doing well, too.

Brenda, as always fantastic photos.  That is a fierce looking bison!

I didn't post it earlier but do have a photo we took at our dinner on Prinsendam with Capt. D. D.  That was a jolly good time.  Here you go.

Here's a photo of us at dinner in Canaletto the following night.  The Executive Chef of the fleet was on board and brought us out a huge fish he had prepared for our dinner.  I only had a few bites of it since I'm not a huge fish lover.  But it was good and I enjoyed my separate entree.  George brought a special bottle of wine he had purchased on our cruise in Civitavecchia and the Captain was very surprised and honored that he had done that.  He said usually I provide all the wine, but he enjoyed it very much and asked where the shop was in Civitavecchia that George had bought it.  We were there for hours enjoying the conversation and food, and finally Captain said I have to go back to work now.  We bid him good night, then all four of us sat and chatted a while about it having been one of the best dinners we had ever experienced on a cruise.  The company was outstanding!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHtRTdJ2k-W5gkdLqTNhUd?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526159922

That is such a sweet thing for younger brother to do!

Nice photo Sandi.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1