Sunday December 3rd, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

27 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Are you sure this is New England and not England! 😀

Hi Bob.

We are much further North than New England in County Durham England.

I hope you have an amazing cruise.

Screenshot_20231203_124555.jpg

Screenshot_20231203_125814.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 5

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Sunday Daily, Rich

& thanks Debbie, Dixie, Ann & Vanessa.

Good collection of days - especially the day of persons with disabilities.  That should be celebrated every day.  I’ll honour hug day by hugging Ivan 😉. LOL on the Connolly quote.  I work in reverse.  When it first came out I couldn’t understand why the Lone Ranger was using William Telll’s music.  I knew the music before I met the Lone Ranger.

IMG_1273.jpeg.3574d18b5da2261efa42180420ab14f3.jpeg

Puerto Limon is often featured on the Panama Canal cruises.  Costa Rica is stunning and it is well worth it to get a good guide and see some of it.  Dr. Barnard certainly changed medicine when he performed the first successful heart transplant.  

More rain today - as long as it doesn’t freeze, it’s ok with me since the alternative is that 4 letter word that begins with an S - it’s coming though. Sounds like we are getting dumped on the first of the week.  Good test for my new snow removal people 🤞 

IMG_1697.jpeg.111146ab89475a1c1a73e6a19cfe61de.jpeg

Nice time at my neighbour’s get together yesterday and my charcuterie board turned out very well 👍  Long list of things to do today - including a bit of clean up outside for some branches and Ivan & re-arranging compost & garbage in prep for the snow that is coming whether it’s raining or not.  I’m sure Ivan will be a big help.  😂 

IMG_1259.thumb.jpeg.02f283d2e946a2ccd8d6611065616a53.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, health problems, pain, worries and those that need them. 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  🥂 

IMG_1272.jpeg.01c09733841737d3f89c19b3bd885334.jpeg

Have a good Sunday everyone.

As a disabled person myself I would happily hug you and all of the special people on the daily.

• Like 20

44 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Stars and Stripes Bloody Mary cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Hornitos® Anejo Tequila
1/2 part Agave Nectar
1 part Lime Juice
6-8 Blueberries
2 parts Hornitos® Reposado Tequila
1 1/2 parts Bloody Mary Mix
Cayenne Pepper
Salt
Pepper, Black

Instructions
Muddle blueberries and 1/2 part lime juice in a glass. Add Hornitos® Anejo tequila and agave nectar. Add ice and shake vigorously. Strain into shot glass. Separately, add Hornitos® Reposado, Bloody Mary mix and 1/2 part lime juice to a shaker. Shake and serve in a second shot glass half rimmed with a salt, pepper and cayenne mixture.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 7.21.18 AM.png

Holy moly Dixie! That is some cocktail!!

• Like 11
  • Haha 10

Happy Sunday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Soggy day today. My plan is to rearrange the home office so that I can use it for podcast and video production. Planning my marketing for 2024. 

Chase's ear infection is being treated. He seems a little less miserable today. 

The tree is up and will be decorated today. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.2bc9754813f9dee26ccfd360949db2e5.png

• Like 32

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  People with disabilities should be recognized every day - we never know when we will become one of them.  I can honestly say I've never eaten a green bean casserole; looking at the recipe, they're incredibly easy to make, so I might just put one together soon.  Sending hugs to all my Daily family today; DH will get his when he wakes up later.

My plans for the other day of making toppers for kitchen towels went awry when I realized I didn't have any fusible interfacing, so yesterday while DH and I were out, we stopped by a fabric store where I picked up some for the project.  Today I hope to get to the sewing stage, although that will likely be interrupted by a visit to the hospital this afternoon.  We went to see our friend Wayne yesterday and although he's looking good, his legs and feet are still terribly swollen.  He said the swelling had gone down considerably, but we were surprised to see they still looked like tree trunks - this on a normally slender man.  Last night we heard from him that his heart is still racing, so today they will do a cardioversion where they shock the heart (like using an AED) to get it back into a normal rhythm.  Hopefully that takes care of the problem.  Thank you all for your prayers on his behalf.

@RedneckBob Bon Voyage!

@Seasick Sailorjust wondering if you and @Himself ever did connect?

@rafinmdit sounds like you're feeling a little better if you're on your way out to get groceries.

@aliaschief 5" of rain?  Are you planning on taking a boat to church?

@grapau27have you had your water issue repaired?

I like the quote, and confess I'm among the Lone Ranger group.  I'm going to give a pass on the drink of the day and others can enjoy the white wine.  The soup sounds like it might be good, but I probably wouldn't make it.  I've got a couple of chicken breasts thawing that will be pounded, breaded with panko crumbs and cooked in the air fryer alongside some asparagus and served with a side of buttered rice at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those involved in needless wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  People with disabilities should be recognized every day - we never know when we will become one of them.  I can honestly say I've never eaten a green bean casserole; looking at the recipe, they're incredibly easy to make, so I might just put one together soon.  Sending hugs to all my Daily family today; DH will get his when he wakes up later.

My plans for the other day of making toppers for kitchen towels went awry when I realized I didn't have any fusible interfacing, so yesterday while DH and I were out, we stopped by a fabric store where I picked up some for the project.  Today I hope to get to the sewing stage, although that will likely be interrupted by a visit to the hospital this afternoon.  We went to see our friend Wayne yesterday and although he's looking good, his legs and feet are still terribly swollen.  He said the swelling had gone down considerably, but we were surprised to see they still looked like tree trunks - this on a normally slender man.  Last night we heard from him that his heart is still racing, so today they will do a cardioversion where they shock the heart (like using an AED) to get it back into a normal rhythm.  Hopefully that takes care of the problem.  Thank you all for your prayers on his behalf.

@RedneckBob Bon Voyage!

@Seasick Sailorjust wondering if you and @Himself ever did connect?

@rafinmdit sounds like you're feeling a little better if you're on your way out to get groceries.

@aliaschief 5" of rain?  Are you planning on taking a boat to church?

@grapau27have you had your water issue repaired?

I like the quote, and confess I'm among the Lone Ranger group.  I'm going to give a pass on the drink of the day and others can enjoy the white wine.  The soup sounds like it might be good, but I probably wouldn't make it.  I've got a couple of chicken breasts thawing that will be pounded, breaded with panko crumbs and cooked in the air fryer alongside some asparagus and served with a side of buttered rice at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, especially those involved in needless wars.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Thank you Gerry.

Our cold water was back on about 6 hours after we discovered the leak.

The path in our close (cul de sac) is closed and there is still a 5 feet x 5 feet x4 feet deep hole where the leaking pipe was.

There is over 2 inches of snow on the ground so not sure when the hole and path will be repaired and our driveway and path will be power hosed.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

An early good morning from Quartzsite where it was 39F when I got up.  Our high is predicted to be 67F.  Even though we are past the full moon, it is putting out enough light to make the desert look beautiful with the noon shadows.  Once the sun is up and not straight in my eyes, I'll be heading to Algodones, Mexico, and Yuma.  DH is still trying to decide if he will go with me or stay home.  

Persons with Disabilities is a good day to remember not everyone is as capable of doing things as others, and we really should keep it in mind everyday.  Green bean casserole will be making an appearance during the holidays.  I read recently that Dorcas Reilly who developed the green bean casserole for Campbell's Soup never made it at home.  I'll definitely hug DH today.

A very interesting and amusing quote.  I think many of us Baby Boomers first heard the William Tell Overture as the theme song for the Lone Ranger.  It was my music teacher in fourth or fifth grade that introduced us to that particular piece of music as the WTO.

Today, we'll pass on the meal, wine, and the unusual drink.  Someone must have a lot of time on their hands to think up some of these drinks.

While we have been to beautiful Costa Rica many times, we have not been to Puerto Limon.

I remember seeing the news of the first heart transplant by Dr. Christiaan Barnard.  It really did revolutionize medicine.  In 2009, when we were in Cape Town, our tour guide pointed out the hospital where the transplant took place.  I couldn't get a picture from the bus.

Welcome home @Norseh2o, @Himself and @Niagarawine.  I hope your cruises were all you hoped they would be.  Safe travels today.

@rafinmd  Roy, I'm glad you made it home safely.

@Denise T  Denise, I'm glad Chase's ear infection is being treated, and he seems to be improving.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope the procedure today gets Wayne's heart back in normal rhythm, and that the swelling in his legs continues to go down.

405404933_971840777634732_2464782127795236418_n.thumb.jpg.4847c3f58bfe958631e6478a840788a2.jpg

406412934_902421321241495_8498522733339602913_n.jpg.7beeb5f5951653ca27ffcb83af6c9178.jpg

366082814_681629587343739_1599428398452079559_n.jpg.c3c8b1efaac988f878243339693afb28.jpg

377551994_701850411988323_5680664847254178458_n.jpg.e9bece75c191a78a760587316abd2519.jpg

378195086_685411963452589_4355268633288796680_n.jpg.1b98681170130ff8cedd3e974d2547f9.jpg

Lenda

406463403_122143233080017714_107966505042746129_n.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 18

Good morning, everyone!

I'm in the Lone Ranger group as well.  We used to recreate the overture when we played wagon train as kids.  Sue always played the part of the horse or the eagle.  

Today is a cold messy day here in mid-Michigan.  We plan to grab some groceries, make popcorn, and watch Netflix.  Bon Voyage to @RedneckBob Bob.  Have a great cruise.  

Today's meal is a repeat from last February.  It is a good repeat since today is really a good soup day. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AmDJpy4nnAgTnReh95PGNRjt1_2wRnYEyixHRnKj-k4/edit

mushroombarleysoup1.thumb.jpg.d0786388cd40fe8797158b8aadabbe66.jpg 

This one has a Mediterranean twist to it.  https://www.themediterraneandish.com/simple-mushroom-barley-soup/

mushroombarleysoup2.thumb.jpg.ffc395df4a5f89a7ea869830b2433846.jpg

Using several varieties of mushrooms gives the soup a more complex flavor.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/mushroom_barley_soup/

mushroombarleysoup3.thumb.jpg.b85752aa22e5e9b7ecc47e78a30984ba.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 23
  • Thanks 15

Good morning,

DGS is still sleeping and I am enjoying some quiet time. DS is coming over later this morning and getting the big screen TV from the downstairs family room. It was bought just before DH died and is never used. I have a new one on the main floor and hate to see it get old downstairs with no one watching. By the time the DGK’s want to be downstairs I will worry about a new one. 

DB is healing up well. He is released to walk on it. He is like a bull in a china closet so I hope he takes it easy. My hand is coming along nicely. I am surprised how the tendon is stiff and I need to keep exercising it. I am glad I got the earlier date. 

This week I hope to finish final packing on the LF bags. It is getting real now. 

I am glad Roy got home and is feeling better. Graham I hope the snow doesn’t last long and they can get back to work. 

Prayers for those in need and Bon Voyage RNB. Have a great day. 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning everyone!  A late start again for me as I was up until midnight watching the two big football games.   So happy Michigan won!   Sad Alabama won, still suffering from them winning everything for so many years.   

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.   People with Disabilities should be celebrated every day and everything done to make their lives easier.   The last of the green bean casserole was gone the day after Thanksgiving and I gave the big bag of crunchy onions to my older sister with all of our leftovers so no more for 2023.   Let's Hug is always a good day!   Great quote by Billy Connolly.  No matter what when I hear the WTO I think of the Lone Ranger so I can not be considered sophisticated. A great day in history when the first heart transplant was attempted.   It opened the door to perfecting the procedure.   We were in Puerto Limon this year and will share photos later.  Pass on the soup, the truly weird cocktail and the vino.  Thanks for finding these for us each day, @cat shepard, @summer slope and @dfish

@JazzyV I hope you had a better night and getting some relief of your constant leg pain.   Prayers for @superoma friend Dena.   So happy to read that you are home again Roy!   I hope you had a wonderful time on your cruise.   

@ger_77 prayers for your friend Wayne.   Continuing prayers for Baby Murphy.    Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, Israel, the innocents in Gaza and the hostages.  

I have to head out to a nearby town to pick up the arrangement my friend scored for me at the end of the greens sale when they were marked down.  Another day of football here, perfect because it is gloomy and light rain but gratefully above freezing.   I will try to wrap up my Christmas cards and send the comments about the greens sale while they are fresh in my mind.   Have a lovely Sunday!  Nancy 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. We have a rainy and mild day here as it will reach the mid fifties later. My DDIL made a very good green bean casserole last week and I don’t usually like that. I will celebrate disabilities day but we must acknowledge how much further we need to go for accessibility. I live in an older city and see obstacles everywhere.We are a family that hugs, thank goodness. I did not grow up that way and it was a learned response!

I took accordion lessons as a small child and learned the WTO for a recital. Of course, it was easier  to sight read the music since I knew the tune!

I would love the soup but probably not convince the group to eat it. Today we are getting take out and I am looking forward to the free time.

@RedneckBob, Bon Voyage to you and the Mrs RNB. I am glad you have returned to cruising and will look forward to hearing about your trip.

@rafinmd, Roy, I am so glad  that you made it safely home and hope you continue to improve.

@cat shepard, Ann, Thank you. Just last week a relative said to me that I should move to New Hampshire right away! Yikes. I had not given moving at all a thought and certainly did not ask for their perspective. I had all I could do to remain polite.

Enjoy the day!

• Like 32

Prayers for all in need and Happy Sunday.  Starting to prepare for my walk to church on this rainy first Sunday of Advent.

So glad to see Roy post about being home.  There’s no place like home as Dorothy reminded us.  Please stay safe and maybe some football today?

Got more decorations up yesterday and making progress.  Next week I really have to gift shop.

Best wishes for a safe and happy day.  Katherine 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

We were in today's port on January 7 this year.  We took a HA shorex which was a Monster bus to go look at flora and fauna in the jungle.  It was air conditioned which was terrific as it was incredibly hot that day.  The red flower plant is Tithonia, Mexican Sunflower the same plant that I grow from seed at the cabin which is a real butterfly magnet.  Photo from cabin at end.  

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230905_121452347_HDR.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  It is 63 degrees here too, I might even open a window today to get some fresh air in.  I have two baking adventures today, quiche for breakfast, and the now infamous corn bread pudding souffle.  We are going over to Penny and Jessie's today.  They had she tells me a soul food Thanksgiving with their neighbors, but Jessie asked her for a Traditional turkey with stuffing, and she asked if we would come over.  She wanted to cook on Friday, but even though I have been to her house many times, driving at night in her neighborhood?  I wouldnt be able to find the turn.  I do not see well at night at all to drive.  Unless it is well lit (and that area is not).

Neither D nor I are upset at the Georgia/Alabama outcome.  Neither of us are from Georgia, and we have no ties to the team. (Now if it was GA Tech?  that would be different)  

We got a very heavy rain shower this morning.

Furnando has something wrong with his right eye, and has an appointment with the Vet on Monday.

Tazi had a nervous breakdown while we were gone, and is living behind the bed. (DH thinks its because of Furnando.)  And our neighbor was correct, Bobagingee is a big bully.  He picks on Furnando, who runs down the hall and picks on Tazi.  It has DH stressed that the only time the Tazi stops hiding, is when we are in bed to sleep.  She climbs out from under the headboard, and scurries down under the covers between us.  Then Furnando climbs on the bed and snuggles next to me.  If he hears her meow or purr, he climbs over me to check on her.  Then she starts hissing.  Getting to sleep is precarious.

image.thumb.png.2ccdf58dba8504f9d55d73d9a159922a.png

image.png.a3820d0db18d0d5d4ecca7ebd4e19596.png

image.png.33f237dcd4554ee0c903f9a9644285ad.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 11

Persons with disabilities need more consideration, and not just one day a year. Not enthusiastic about green bean casserole, or about hugging, although I come from a family that likes both.

Mushroom barley, or barley mushroom, soup is somehow a Jewish specialty, but many people make it wrong (according to my grandmother). Fresh mushrooms give little flavor to the soup; it requires some dried mushrooms as well. I wouldn't bother with the drink and I wish we would move on from Viognier, because of the lack of Finger Lakes varietals. I'll suggest Fulkerson Muscat Ottonel instead. I haven't been to Puerto Limon.

Last night I was at a holiday street fair where my former organization had a booth. It was a big change from last year, when it was 20° F. at 5:00 p.m. and dropped rapidly after that. This year it was 50° at 5:00 and still 48° at 8:00.

Sparkle2023.thumb.jpg.51100370cd733c809a251b40b315e931.jpg

@grapau27 Graham, it is true that many people over here have no idea of the latitude of the U.K., or maybe of latitude in general, but weather systems in New England are very different from those in Olde Englande. In general winters in New England are colder and summers are much warmer.

A couple of years ago, an American politician proclaimed that solar energy was OK for Germany, but the U.S. didn't have enough sun. Most of Germany is farther north than anywhere in the Lower 48; Munich is at about the same latitude as Grand Forks, North Dakota. Only a bit of the Maine coast and a bit of the Washington coast have less sun than anywhere in Germany.

catnip.jpg.412003b081a6559a47771b114069cf46.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

Good morning from the rainy PNW!

A good collection of days again.  I guess I think of both the Lone Ranger and WTO.  Lone Ranger because I'm a Baby Boomer, and WTO because my older sister was a pianist and it was something she played.  Our family are big huggers so lots of hugging going on.

Funny quote, will pass on the meal (mushrooms) and drink.  But yes to another Viognier!  Never can have too many.  We've been to Costa Rica but not this port.

Today I might start wrapping Christmas gifts, and also need to hem some pants and a dress for the cruise.  Also I've been looking into different Christmas ornaments the DGSs can make when they're with us for 2 days in a couple weeks.  Somehow the older they get the harder it is to come up with ideas.  🤔 When they were little we made the hand print Santas, and DD displays them every Christmas.  

Bon Voyage @RedneckBob!!  Have a fabulous cruise.

• Like 28