Tuesday December 19th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Good morning all!

We have a rainy morning here, 50 F heading for 52 today.  Not bad for the week before Christmas.

I've never been crazy about hard candy and will choose chocolate over hard candy every time.  I have admiration for all heros and heroines, and since I live in the Evergreen State I only have to walk out of my house to find lots of evergreens.

I miss Phyllis Diller, another great quote.  The meal sounds yummy, I think I'd like the drink but will pass on the red blend.  We were in Souda-Chania on a Med cruise in 2021.  Strangely I didn't take many photos, thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser for yours!  We took the shuttle to Chania and went to the market, bought some things, and also more flowers for our cabin.

Chaniaflowers.thumb.jpg.5dd70482160b660927769f78d646ca1b.jpg

Very happy to see that our luggage is now in San Diego!  Yippee!  I hope they enjoy their stay until we join them in a couple weeks. 😄

Today starts our self-quarantine in efforts to stay healthy before the cruise.  Yesterday we both got our hair cut (next hair cuts will be on the ship), and stocked up on food to get us through the next 2 weeks.  We will be going to DD's house to get outdoor hugs a few days before we leave though.  Cannot leave without more hugs!

Bon Voyage @St Pete Cruiser!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

The MRI went fine.  When I checked in they said I needed blood tests, took our a paper with STAT on it and rushed me to the blood lab.  I said no one told me.  The only painful part of the MRI is when you have to take a breath and hold it.  But, I'm done with all tests!!  Saw the surgeon last week about the concern and he said if I was 25 we would need to operate.  But since I"m not I'll outlive the problem.🤣

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

The MRI went fine.  When I checked in they said I needed blood tests, took our a paper with STAT on it and rushed me to the blood lab.  I said no one told me.  The only painful part of the MRI is when you have to take a breath and hold it.  But, I'm done with all tests!!  Saw the surgeon last week about the concern and he said if I was 25 we would need to operate.  But since I"m not I'll outlive the problem.🤣

Glad it's all over with.  I'm terrible at holding my breath for very long so I'd be in the same boat you were.  

• Like 14

@StLouisCruisers You posted something last week about someone (governor?) complaining about the mail service.  Do you know where I can find this info?  My local post office rarely has staff, my mail never gets sent out on time, even though I allow for a week, and if a package is too large for the mailbox, instead of walking it to the door, they stuff the package in the mailbox, and tear it up.  I would love to present them with something that tells them, it's not just me that is disgusted with the service.

can you email me at anniemounce  at yahoo dot com?  thanks.  I want more info.

• Like 16

We have been a couple of times to Souda while of the Oosterdam and took the shuttle from the port to Chania the second largest city on the Island of Crete.

After visiting the market and making a few purchases we walked to the pretty port of Chania , enjoyed a nice beverage when a flash thunderstorm opened the skies which was good for a few nice pictures ! 

IMG_4830 2.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

Just to be clear dear Martha did NOT bend that tree 

IMG_4834.JPG

IMG_4844.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

We had to abandon our seats on the front row on the terrace  but 20 min later everything was normal again ,

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

After returning on the shuttle and the captain was ready to leave we enjoyed watching a beautiful sunset  in Souda 
image.thumb.jpeg.9df9f95bfa0ef27f701eae885cfdc1b3.jpeg

I might check out if the pictures from the second visit were much different .

Enjoy your day and be well 

Tony 😄

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@StLouisCruisers You posted something last week about someone (governor?) complaining about the mail service.  Do you know where I can find this info?  My local post office rarely has staff, my mail never gets sent out on time, even though I allow for a week, and if a package is too large for the mailbox, instead of walking it to the door, they stuff the package in the mailbox, and tear it up.  I would love to present them with something that tells them, it's not just me that is disgusted with the service.

can you email me at anniemounce  at yahoo dot com?  thanks.  I want more info.

Sure!  I just sent you an email!  Good luck!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Few more pictures of Chania when we were in Oct of 2022 in Souda on the Oosterdam . We took the shuttle bus again and strolled through the city .

Chania is also a Port town but only for smaller vessels 

image.thumb.jpeg.ef7d0611a412a36abb94f7e931a56c2a.jpeg

The weather was beautiful this time so Martha had to do some posing in the pretty little
harbour .

image.thumb.jpeg.f9eeef8b7e8600f31e6036b1e6b45397.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6ec9c9c1ad2635096906db9af71a8e36.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fda7e85d1378930e4a3b97507b354574.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.25964f8df7715fcd140738069783ad5a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1212c811828f746d30ce392ad016d6f6.jpeg

Commercial : " Time for a real beer ! "

image.thumb.jpeg.3e80300da9c80259dade9c21dcfa397c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b04176201feeeb6172af97d5dc19a9c.jpeg

There is that guy again the birdie has left its post on top of his head …..

image.thumb.jpeg.5b30d3834020e5d39dc8cc46defcbbcb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.54fa55bca33cf5ed76af190b1d914e74.jpeg

See you all in the next Port , take care and be well ! 
Tony 😘
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning,

It's a rather dreary day today and we're in for showers and heavier rain at times. It's a good day to be home. I plan to be here most of the day but may have to run to town to mail the Christmas cards. It's a stack and I don't know as I want to leave them for the mailman but we'll see. 

I'll honor yesterday's cookie day as I plan on baking today. My two for today are candy cane cookies which are a bit finicky and my English Shortbread. I can't find berry sugar so will grind up regular sugar and it works. 

I have sent all the Canada gifts and am tracking them through UPS. I get "dinged" for duty and I'm not happy about that as they are gifts but who can you argue with? If you are in the US and shipping to Canada Netparcel is a great resource. It's quicker and less expensive than the USPS and they'll even pick up off the front porch which is nice since it's a trek to town for me. 

Have a good day everyone!

Karen

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We have been to Souda and Chania twice.  The first time was in 2017 on Prinsendam, and the second time was in 2019 on Veendam.  Both times, we took the shuttle from Souda to Chania and walked around town.  Except for the bus ride, we did not see much of Souda.  The shuttle dropped us off by a park across from the Old Chania Market.  From there we walked around the area and the Old Venetian Port of Chania.

The area where the shuttle dropped us off, and it's the beginning for the modern part of Chania.  

DSC02140.thumb.JPG.3359bc5d39f696a3e01cf3aeb09e17c2.JPG

Pictures from the Old Chania Market.

DSC07776.thumb.JPG.57f74a656b281b398eba7b3028b7e843.JPG

DSC02137.thumb.JPG.86e4070fcb102b1d6a84e4c80c975a97.JPG

DSC02139.thumb.JPG.ca0e1879896d5b631fefa7d2cd3c681a.JPG

Walking through Old Chania

DSC07806.thumb.JPG.b8baddf8f235e9477cf1704148f8e454.JPG

DSC02136.thumb.JPG.6000a7a3ae5830853f763cc54518a686.JPG

A nice plaza with shops, restaurants and shade

DSC07782.thumb.JPG.c6b908d8f9499f50b44817ff48bc9d8f.JPG

The Presentation of the Virgin Mary Metropolitan Church in the back ground

DSC07781.thumb.JPG.d682060187b7e8e53526b78790ecbcf9.JPG

The Church

DSC07785.thumb.JPG.5258c99d8b31a3e0a011f6eae479f58b.JPG

DSC07784.thumb.JPG.6f06c8ba025b9bee742a6b01009f0a7f.JPG

The sea entrance to the Old Venetian Port.  The Lighthouse of Chania is on the right and the Firka Venetian Fortress is on the left.

DSC07802.thumb.JPG.7f73b662af37eae0217f769d65b18398.JPG

Looking across the harbor

DSC02122.thumb.JPG.8ca9054b10f89e3b934f832d4235d6cb.JPG

DSC07789.thumb.JPG.dd9966b1a10895fb415f06d5cc08bcae.JPG

Looking toward the Kyuchuk Hassan Mosque, which is now a museum.

DSC02131.thumb.JPG.1160c2d5152d32fd8f97ceffc50315bb.JPG

The mosque and a couple of the exhibits.  The first one was from 2017 and the second was from 2018.

DSC07793.thumb.JPG.ba621e0eefe4ff8f470317559e1c833a.JPG

DSC02114.thumb.JPG.d4d483b2c47ce6e3fd37e489b7e90090.JPG

DSC07794.thumb.JPG.2b60314a5e8ad2ea1c523db38a407946.JPG

Past the mosque and around the corner are several restaurants and the small boat harbor.

DSC02110.thumb.JPG.1a8887e22d99e7de7b6d1fe66ad70b46.JPG

Chania is a lovely place to spend several hours relaxing, shopping, sightseeing and people watching.  We enjoyed our visits there.

DSC02115.JPG

DSC07803.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 6

Hi Everyone!

Time to get caught up here. My past week and weekend were busy with finalizing my GV luggage and getting that sent buy last Thursday (that was more of a struggle than I thought it would be) and then fitting in some Christmas social events. I was pretty tired on Monday; it shows how out of shape I am that I can no longer handle a rigorous social schedule! Sheesh!

Thanks to all contributors here, any contributions are well worth reading and often enlightening to me.

A big thanks to @StLouisCruisers and @kazu for taking up the baton from @richwmn while he is on his wonderful trip! Very jealous about that.🛳️ Bon voyage Rich, see you on the AUS/NZ GV.

I LOL quite a bit at the Memes, especially the Christmas/Holiday ones! They are a daily enjoyment for me.

I remember liking hard candy at Christmas; my favorite were the Raspberry round ones. We have evergreen trees in abundance here in MN so able to see them everywhere. Heros and heriones are common but often not recognized but we thank them with our hearts.💖

Prayers and thoughts for all going through health issues and procedures; healing well or currently being challenged.

Prayers and thoughts for all in gratitude and concern for our world; we need lots of prayers IMHO.

Bon Voyage to all starting their trips and continued safe travels to those traveling now.

Happy to report (I know it is not a big deal), my luggage for the GV is in Vernon, CA at the UPS facility; at least they are in CA and not stuck here in MN. Progress is good. 🤣

A busy week ahead for me with the Holidays and more social events coming up, in-between baking, finishing shopping and all the other things needed for the Holidays.

I wish everyone a safe and happy week.

Take good care all,

Caron

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Few more pictures of Chania when we were in Oct of 2022 in Souda on the Oosterdam . We took the shuttle bus again and strolled through the city .

Chania is also a Port town but only for smaller vessels 

image.thumb.jpeg.ef7d0611a412a36abb94f7e931a56c2a.jpeg

The weather was beautiful this time so Martha had to do some posing in the pretty little
harbour .

image.thumb.jpeg.f9eeef8b7e8600f31e6036b1e6b45397.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6ec9c9c1ad2635096906db9af71a8e36.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fda7e85d1378930e4a3b97507b354574.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.25964f8df7715fcd140738069783ad5a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1212c811828f746d30ce392ad016d6f6.jpeg

Commercial : " Time for a real beer ! "

image.thumb.jpeg.3e80300da9c80259dade9c21dcfa397c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b04176201feeeb6172af97d5dc19a9c.jpeg

There is that guy again the birdie has left its post on top of his head …..

image.thumb.jpeg.5b30d3834020e5d39dc8cc46defcbbcb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.54fa55bca33cf5ed76af190b1d914e74.jpeg

See you all in the next Port , take care and be well ! 
Tony 😘

Nice collection of photos Tony.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have a few questions for all you great chef/cooks out there.  I am reading a recipe that says

Easy Sweet Potato Souffle-

but I really am not sure about some of the ingredients

what is vegetable seasoning?  Is it a seasoning for veggies, or a seasoning made out of veggies?

Is thick cream the same as heavy cream?

It calls for one teaspoon of Bourbon.  We dont drink, so there is no bourbon in the house...is there bourbon flavoring?  Like rum flavoring?  (or would it matter if I left it out?)  

• Like 12

Good morning. Sunny here and chilly but not nearly as cold as usual. That is on the way.

Went out to breakfast with a colleague from the college today. Food was good, but they are cutting back on the offerings even for breakfast and there were very few people out and about - but then this week is usually pretty slow for the eateries.  I am tracking my luggage on its way to the Grand Voyage and it has made it as far as Beaver, UT.  At least it has left Salt Lake City and is moving again. I am now packing for what I need to carry with me to San Diego since I will be there for 5 days. Still trying to decide between carry it on the plane with me which means less taken.... or checking a bag. I am going to have to get myself pulled together shortly. Today I am going to try to take care of a number of errand and writing some emails.

@richwmnI think I envy you your extended trip but not sure I could handle it. One reason I rejected the P2P cruise which was very, very tempting.

Otherwise it is the same old routine just now. Best wishes to all.

Susan

• Like 25

21 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

I have a few questions for all you great chef/cooks out there.  I am reading a recipe that says

what is vegetable seasoning?  Is it a seasoning for veggies, or a seasoning made out of veggies?

It calls for one teaspoon of Bourbon.  We dont drink, so there is no bourbon in the house...is there bourbon flavoring?  Like rum flavoring?  (or would it matter if I left it out?)  

Sometimes they mean things like Mrs Dash for vegetable seasoning  but I am not sure.Heavy cream is also known as whipping cream around here,not sure about thick cream. I don’t drink either and would just leave the bourbon out,maybe vanilla would be a good sub. Sorry, not much help.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Crete is one of our favourite places,  we’ve visited three times and spent over two weeks each time.  Highly recommend it! 

We’ve stayed near Chania a few times,  once with a stunning view of the town.  Souda is the nearby port near where Zorba the Greek was filmed.  There’s an important war cemetery there and on the other side of Chania, a German one near Maleme.   They are beautifully maintained.  

There are also some of the most exquisite beaches, one is a beautiful pink colour.  

image.thumb.jpeg.d69c27371d7188d296a942e92f2fa99b.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_1722.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4

We’re slow in recovering but so very happy to be home!  DH is my HERO for getting us home through the storm!  

I got word that my niece had her baby! She named the baby for her father and grandfather (my and my sister’s father). No details but I’m relieved, baby has been breech for last 7 or 8 weeks. She was headed for a C-section, I suspect that’s what happened. She had to travel 3 hrs to the hospital that could support her high risks including being 48! Thank you all for your support. 

Happy belated birthday @ottahand7 Nancy!  Wishing you an inspiring year!  

Prayers for Amazing visit to neurosurgeon @JazzyV Vanessa. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  
Cheers to those celebrating! 
Smooth travels to all away!  
Maureen 

@marshhawk  Not sure about the context of your recipe questions but I would think “vegetable seasoning” would be a type of ground up herb mixture, seasoning salt or the like. I would substitute vanilla for the bourbon. For “thick cream” maybe use plain yogurt or sour cream, but I’m not sure how much you need meaning how big a portion of the ingredients this will be… or the temp you’ll be adding it at, yogurt or sour cream should be added late and not boiled or it can curdle. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

A light seasoning.  That you can sprinkle of food.  Mrs. Dash was mentioned and would work I would think.  I use herbs de Provence in a lot of stuff

Thick cream is not a term we use here.  What is the percentage of it?  If it’s 18% I believe it would work

I don’t think there is a bourbon flavouring.  At least, I’m not familiar with one.  The liquor store here sells tiny little bottles that would work for cooking.  Don’t worry about the alcohol, it cooks off - it’s the flavour that counts.

If it isn’t too much work, could you take a pic of the recipe and post it here?  It might help us give you better answers.

31 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

We’re slow in recovering but so very happy to be home!  DH is my HERO for getting us home through the storm!  

Thanks heavens you are home safe and sound.  Your DH is a big hero is he drove through that storm.

31 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

I got word that my niece had her baby! She named the baby for her father and grandfather (my and my sister’s father). No details but I’m relieved, baby has been breech for last 7 or 8 weeks. She was headed for a C-section, I suspect that’s what happened. She had to travel 3 hrs to the hospital that could support her high risks including being 48! Thank you all for your support. 

Wonderful news!  Congratulations to your niece a you 🙂. It sounds like both are fine and healthy which is the main thing 👍 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

Crete is one of our favourite places,  we’ve visited three times and spent over two weeks each time.  Highly recommend it! 

We’ve stayed near Chania a few times,  once with a stunning view of the town.  Souda is the nearby port near where Zorba the Greek was filmed.  There’s an important war cemetery there and on the other side of Chania, a German one near Maleme.   They are beautifully maintained.  

There are also some of the most exquisite beaches, one is a beautiful pink colour.  

image.thumb.jpeg.d69c27371d7188d296a942e92f2fa99b.jpeg

IMG_1726.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_1722.jpeg

IMG_1727.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg

IMG_1711.jpeg

IMG_1710.jpeg

IMG_1708.jpeg

Lovely photos.

• Like 10