The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 21st, 2024

kazu

@kochleffel Paul, it is no surprise that the Talmud does not mention butternut squash as a health food or cure for what ails you.  Butternut squash is a relatively new item, developed in 1944 as a cross between pumpkin and gooseneck squash.

Butternut squash, known in Australia and New Zealand as butternut pumpkin or gramma, is a type of winter squash that grows on a vine. It has a sweet, nutty taste similar to that of a pumpkin. It has tan-yellow skin and orange fleshy pulp with a compartment of seeds in the blossom end. When ripe, it turns increasingly deep orange, and becomes sweeter and richer. It is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium; and it is a source of vitamin A.

Although botanically a fruit (specifically, a berry), butternut squash is used culinarily as a vegetable that can be roasted, sautéed, toasted, puréed for soups such as squash soup, or mashed to be used in casseroles, breads, muffins, and pies. It is part of the same squash family as ponca, waltham, pumpkin, and calabaza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash

butternutsquash.thumb.jpg.5bbf1493687d52d358fce7c56e6aeabb.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, happy new year, I wanted to stop by and give an update on my Dad.  He's recently been admitted into one of our local home hospice programs and that's meant an endless number of meetings with doctors, nurses, and social workers.  But they didn't hesitate when I brought it up, they've been waiting, many felt he should have gone into it a year ago.  

It's been an emotional rollercoaster for me, sometimes it's hard to believe there's a world out there humming along as normal, people living their lives, and probably dealing with their own problems. Haven't had much of an appetite, sleep comes and goes, and have just felt blah overall. 

Dad has his good days and bad days.  He recently lost an army buddy so that was tuff.  He's not near death, but his disease is terminal and there's no treatment--he's not considered a good candidate for dialysis.  The worst part for him are the symptoms associated with late stage renal disease and we're sedating him at night now to give him at least some relief. 

I'm looking forward to the additional help hospice will be able to provide, all of my interests are on the back burner, there's not even been time to cook.  Every last snippet of time is taken up by housework, I can never seem to stay on top of the laundry--sheets and towels galore from the sick room and everywhere I look there are medical supplies stacked up.  

So I hope everybody is healthy and enjoying their cruises, I haven't had a chance to read through the care list, I'll go and do that now, I wanted to get this posted as early as possible.

Take care,

Bruno

• Like 14
  • Thanks 29

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon from a very wet and very windy Cork.

We are currently under an Orange Weather Warning for Storm Isha, with winds up to Force 10.

We also have feline and canine type rain 😉 (raining cats and dogs!)😁

Today we had our usual Sunday lunch (as a take away) from the restaurant in Cork city that has kept us going through covid and DW's illness.  It is only Grilled breast of chicken with veg (3 of them), roast and mash potatoes and gravy, plus desert.  There is more than enough for the two of us for €20. Iit is basic but wholesome good food and we owe the couple who own/run the restaurant our immense thanks for helping us to survive through very difficult times.  (there is enough chicken left over for a sandwich for me this evening).

DW went to mass at 12 noon and is continuing to feel good.  She has a couple of medical appointments this week on Wednesday and Thursday.  Hopefully she will recieve good news and will continue her upward trend.

Next week I think I must also start to write down banking details, passwords, etc and give them to our daughter to ensure continuity if anything happens to me.  (It's not that I am a control freak, its just that I am better at doing it 😁) and modest!

Hope everyone has a great day!

take care!

I'm glad your DW is feeling better, and I hope she continues to improve.  I'm sending positive thoughts for good reports from the doctors this week.

57 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I have no playdate today, and I am in sweatpants to just hang around the house. No Cheesy socks, most of mine are plain. Interesting quote. Maybe on the meal (if I can use regular broccoli), and pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Singapore.  

We started off at about 15F with wind chill of 0F, and supposedly will get to 26F. At least there's some sun out. I got about 4 hours of sleep, then fell back asleep for an hour while waiting for the Daily to start up, hence the late Care List. It's still very hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in without pain/numbness, as well as having a lot of morning pain. I will try to make some calls tomorrow to see what I can find out. I guess I'll watch football again today.

@StLouisCruisers Good to hear that Amy is feeling better. Great Singapore photos; with DS and DDIL staying there, you had a chance to see things one likely wouldn't just on a cruise stop. Nice pictures of you and Dennis, and the DGSs.

@ottahand7 I'm glad you're on the mend. 

@aliaschief Nice to "see" you and Sue! 

@kazu Thanks for our start today. I hope the snow doesn't accumulate too much.

@smitty34877 I'm glad you got out of the house yesterday to spend time with your BFF. 

@dfish Enjoy the neighborhood party and meeting some new neighbors. 

@kochleffel I hope you continue to improve. Get lots of rest. 

@superoma Great socks! 

@rafinmd Thank you for today's maps.

@RMLincoln Safe travels tomorrow, and prayers for a successful eye surgery for your DH.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos from Singapore.

@VMax1700 I hope that your DW gets good reports at her medical appointments.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I'm glad you got about 5 hours sleep, but wish your could get comfortable and get a really good night sleep.  I hope you can get some answers when you make your calls.

54 minutes ago, dfish said:

@kochleffel Paul, it is no surprise that the Talmud does not mention butternut squash as a health food or cure for what ails you.  Butternut squash is a relatively new item, developed in 1944 as a cross between pumpkin and gooseneck squash.

Butternut squash, known in Australia and New Zealand as butternut pumpkin or gramma, is a type of winter squash that grows on a vine. It has a sweet, nutty taste similar to that of a pumpkin. It has tan-yellow skin and orange fleshy pulp with a compartment of seeds in the blossom end. When ripe, it turns increasingly deep orange, and becomes sweeter and richer. It is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium; and it is a source of vitamin A.

Although botanically a fruit (specifically, a berry), butternut squash is used culinarily as a vegetable that can be roasted, sautéed, toasted, puréed for soups such as squash soup, or mashed to be used in casseroles, breads, muffins, and pies. It is part of the same squash family as ponca, waltham, pumpkin, and calabaza.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash

butternutsquash.thumb.jpg.5bbf1493687d52d358fce7c56e6aeabb.jpg

Debbie, thank you for the information on butternut squash.  It's still not on my list of things to try.

3 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Good morning, happy new year, I wanted to stop by and give an update on my Dad.  He's recently been admitted into one of our local home hospice programs and that's meant an endless number of meetings with doctors, nurses, and social workers.  But they didn't hesitate when I brought it up, they've been waiting, many felt he should have gone into it a year ago.  

It's been an emotional rollercoaster for me, sometimes it's hard to believe there's a world out there humming along as normal, people living their lives, and probably dealing with their own problems. Haven't had much of an appetite, sleep comes and goes, and have just felt blah overall. 

Dad has his good days and bad days.  He recently lost an army buddy so that was tuff.  He's not near death, but his disease is terminal and there's no treatment--he's not considered a good candidate for dialysis.  The worst part for him are the symptoms associated with late stage renal disease and we're sedating him at night now to give him at least some relief. 

I'm looking forward to the additional help hospice will be able to provide, all of my interests are on the back burner, there's not even been time to cook.  Every last snippet of time is taken up by housework, I can never seem to stay on top of the laundry--sheets and towels galore from the sick room and everywhere I look there are medical supplies stacked up.  

So I hope everybody is healthy and enjoying their cruises, I haven't had a chance to read through the care list, I'll go and do that now, I wanted to get this posted as early as possible.

Take care,

Bruno

Bruno, I'm sorry your Dad is now on hospice, but I'm glad you will get some much needed help.  Remember to take care of yourself too.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kochleffel said:

This morning I managed to sleep until 5:00 a.m. I'm feeling a little better and have a load of laundry in the dryer, but I'm going back to bed in a few minutes.

I am glad you are improving Paul. 👍. I hope you continue to recover and feel much better soon 🤞 

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I just realized yesterday that if something were to happen to me, DH wouldn't have a clue about what to do re: household accounts, etc., as I've handled that all our married life.  I think I'm going to take some time to write out in detail the steps to logging into the various accounts, etc., as I'm sure he would be totally flummoxed when it came time to do things. 

You are not slow at all, Gerry.  it was only after Jose’s retirement that I thought to myself “OMG what happens if I die before Jose”.  Like you I had always been the money manager - even his Corporation until it was closed.  What I did was give him a list of all of the passwords along with instructions to go to our Financial Planner if he was stuck.  then I began slowly attempting to teach him on line banking and show him how easy it was.  He always knew how much the bills were and how much money we had but he had never managed any of it.  it turned out it was for naught but it’s a very good idea to make sure the partner who isn’t familiar gets a level of comfort.   

You would have thought I would have done it long ago since I saw all too many cases of the widowed spouse at a loss for their finances and bills in my career. 

Bruno @atexsix I am sorry that your father is now in hospice.  I pray they can make him comfortable 🙏 Such a very difficult time for you 😢 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm sorry your internet company is so iffy.  We switched to Starlink when we got to Quartzsite in November.  It is working very well, but it is pricier than the service through the phone company which was also pricey.  It also allowed us to ditch the landline.  I'm sorry you had to cancel your fall cruise, but if things are going well, you might be able to book another fall cruise later.

Thanks Lenda,

Will have to check out if Starlink is available here in the Low country of SC.

We will see what happens on this upcoming cruise before we make anymore decisions.

Terri

• Like 18

I read through the care list and posts, sounds like everybody is doing fairly well. 

Looks like many of you have the bitter cold weather that we had in the northwest last week, from the long range reports, a nice warmup is in store for most places next week.  A sneak peak of spring that Mother Nature likes to tease us with.

@StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser Loved the Singapore pictures, this was Dad's favorite place to visit.  

@Crazy For Cats That's a lot of bunnies, do your cats sit and watch them?

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Take care,

Bruno

Bruno, hugs to you.  This is a difficult time for you and your dad.  Hopefully, hospice will be able to provide some help and assure that your dad is comfortable.  It still isn't easy.  I went through this with my mom and it can be brutal on the family. When things get tough remember you have friends who care about you here.  More hugs.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I read through the care list and posts, sounds like everybody is doing fairly well. 

Looks like many of you have the bitter cold weather that we had in the northwest last week, from the long range reports, a nice warmup is in store for most places next week.  A sneak peak of spring that Mother Nature likes to tease us with.

@StLouisCruisers @Quartzsite Cruiser Loved the Singapore pictures, this was Dad's favorite place to visit.  

They watch the rabbits,  squirrels and of course the birds.  I enjoy their chirping at them all.

• Like 16
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, superoma said:

Couldn’t resist a pic of my toe socks. I wear them for walking since they don’t bunch up under my toes! Have several pair.

Love them !

4 hours ago, superoma said:

I am doing dry January for the first time ever. Sleeping somewhat better. We’ll see going forward if I stay dry. Might be worth it even if it isn’t as much fun.

Kudos to you!  I should do that soon - if only in my dreams LOL 😂 

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Yesterday granddaughter and her husband visited!  Got some work done, mired a bookcase, planned next work day for installing track lighting!  Had lots of good conversation and a lovely dinner in our community dining room. DGD reminds me that it’s better than Carnival, we have tablecloths!  

How nice to have the visit and the help.  That’s a big pick me up and a real boon 👍 

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

DW went to mass at 12 noon and is continuing to feel good.  She has a couple of medical appointments this week on Wednesday and Thursday.  Hopefully she will recieve good news and will continue her upward trend.

So glad to hear Ellen is continuing to feel good 👍 I will pray for good news for her and her continued upward trend 🙏 

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I got about 4 hours of sleep, then fell back asleep for an hour while waiting for the Daily to start up, hence the late Care List. It's still very hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in without pain/numbness, as well as having a lot of morning pain. I will try to make some calls tomorrow to see what I can find out.

Don’t worry about a tardy Care list.  I’m just glad you got a bit more sleep.  I wish you could get more.  I pray that some solution can be found for your pain 🙏 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

Take care,

Bruno

Bruno, I'm glad you let us know what's going on. I'm glad you got home hospice to help out. Is there also some type of in-home "homemaker" assistance to help with things like laundry, grocery shopping, etc? Maybe you can ask the home hospice folks. I'm sure it's all very hard, including watching DD have to endure the effects of chronic renal failure. Try to take care of yourself as well, as you don't want to be unable to help care for him. Prayers for you both.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@atexsix Bruno I am glad your father has gotten into hospice for both of your sakes.  I hope they can provide some needed support to you through this difficult time. 🙏 Your feelings about everyone else moving through their lives and what an alone feeling it is to bearing through what you are doing makes my heart hurt for you and your Dad.  We are here for you and thanks for sharing your life right now.

@VMax1700 and @grapau27.  Thinking of you as Issa bears down on your countries.  Getting some coverage on ship's BBC channel. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

While I have labeled some sunrises as from “the 2018 Crystal World Cruise” that is not literally true.  I boarded Crystal Serenity in Miami January 5 but the World Cruise officially began January 23 in Los Angeles.  Toward the end of that Panama Canal segment there was a celebration for those of us continuing on to the World Cruise, and thus my alternative menu suggestion for today, waffles, but these were cooked and served on the ship’s bridge:

worldevent.jpg

thebridge.jpg

The cooking was done at the aft section of the bridge.  The waffles (regular and whole wheat) were cooked by the aft wall of the bridge, there were several toppings:

waffles.jpg

I had a regular waffle with strawberry topping and whole wheat with butterscotch topping.  Since there was movement on the bridge I did not get out my camera while I had food in my hands.  In any case to me the best waffles are those custom cooked in the Lido of a BHB.  This one is from the Eurodam.

waffle.jpg
Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Happy Sunday, from a warmer day here.  The sun is shining, it was -2F this but it's +19F now!  I'll take it.  Supposed to hit 30's tomorrow!  

The pictures today look very nice, thanks for sharing! I like sweatpants, and wear joggers most days.  I'm going for comfort, not style in my "old" age!  I don't know if these qualify for cheesy socks, I made them a while back!  

@atexsixSorry to hear about your dad entering Hospice care.  Prayers that you can keep him comfortable.  As others have said, make sure you take care of yourself also.  Thanks for sharing...

Thanks to all who care and share here...

Have a good rest of the day, we're sad our Packers lost last night, but they did have a good game, and a great season for a lot of new players!

Can't upload the picture!   Tried again, and it worked!

IMG_0497.JPG

Edited by quilty964
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

@atexsix Hi Bruno. Thank you for taking time to let us all know how you and dad are doing.

Was your dad in service? If so, the VFW and Eagle's have a program of volunteers that will stop by and visit with dad so you can get other chores, shopping, banking done. It is a free, voluntary program. When we lived in Coeur d'alene Idaho we had a great program for our vets. My husband volunteered before his stroke several times a week. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I guess I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I just realized yesterday that if something were to happen to me, DH wouldn't have a clue about what to do re: household accounts, etc., as I've handled that all our married life.  I think I'm going to take some time to write out in detail the steps to logging into the various accounts, etc., as I'm sure he would be totally flummoxed when it came time to do things.  I've always been concerned about his health and eventual demise, but never considered that anything could happen to me at any time, and we're not prepared.  Definitely food for thought for many of us, I guess.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

You are not slow at all, Gerry.  it was only after Jose’s retirement that I thought to myself “OMG what happens if I die before Jose”.  Like you I had always been the money manager - even his Corporation until it was closed.  What I did was give him a list of all of the passwords along with instructions to go to our Financial Planner if he was stuck.  then I began slowly attempting to teach him on line banking and show him how easy it was.  He always knew how much the bills were and how much money we had but he had never managed any of it.  it turned out it was for naught but it’s a very good idea to make sure the partner who isn’t familiar gets a level of comfort.   

You would have thought I would have done it long ago since I saw all too many cases of the widowed spouse at a loss for their finances and bills in my career. 

And now i am in the same situation.  I handle all the finances. DH doesn’t have a clue and it would be an exercise in futility to try to teach him now.  I do have this little book I bought and am putting all the passwords in it.  It will go to my cousin, who will have to handle all this if I die first or become incapacitated.   I just waited too long to do stuff and now I just have so much to do and I don’t know how much time I have.  Right now DH is not bad, but certainly trying to teach him something he is apt to forget, is not in anyone’s best interest.  It will only cause more confusion.

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Good afternoon, 

I'm honoring sweatpants and cheesy socks day! I have lots of patterned and themed socks. When I was teaching I taught 6th graders in the elementary setting and you couldn't get to over-the-top with them but having fun socks was ok. I had enough Christmas themed ones to go the whole month and not repeat a pair - including one that played music and a couple with bells on them. My newest fave pair are the hummingbird ones my cousin got me for Christmas. DD DH loved his hummingbirds and the socks give me a good memory and feel like my feet are being hugged. As for sweatpants - that's been my attire for almost the last week as I haven't been further than the end of the driveway. 

@atexsix Caregiving is not for the faint of heart, believe me. Take advantage of any help you can get and anybody who will come and sit with DD so you can get out for a bit even if for a walk (yes, in the rain if need be). I was advised years ago when my caretaking started to always do something for myself as our mental health is so important. Give DD a hug for me - he was alway fun to visit with on our cruise. 

Karen

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

@atexsix,Bruno, I am glad your DD will receive more help on hospice and send both of you my prayers. I found that the support staff were very helpful to me  both with my DH and our Tana. We have had to hire aides ourselves as the hospice aide could only come for a few hours with either patient. Take advantage of any help possible so that you can get a break.It was good to hear from you.

Edited by smitty34877
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good cloudy afternoon. It made up to 33 today and warmer tomorrow and then rain the end of the week. 
I made it to church today and out for lunch then a nice long nap. 
I wear socks every day. I have several pairs with paw prints on them and a pair from Alaska.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, atexsix said:

Take care,

Bruno

Bruno - thanks for taking the time to update all your cruise critic friends on the status of your dad.     I know this is a hard time for you as you had hoped one day to be able to cruise with him again.     Please take care of yourself and know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers.     Maryell 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@atexsix Hi Bruno. Thank you for taking time to let us all know how you and dad are doing.

Was your dad in service? If so, the VFW and Eagle's have a program of volunteers that will stop by and visit with dad so you can get other chores, shopping, banking done. It is a free, voluntary program. When we lived in Coeur d'alene Idaho we had a great program for our vets. My husband volunteered before his stroke several times a week. 

Bruno @atexsix prayers 🙏 for your dad and for you. 
If your dad was in the service, the VA has a respite program for the caregiver. It took a while to convince my mom to use it (she took care of my dad), but she finally did and it was good for her. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

@atexsix Bruno.  i am sorry to hear of your situation.  I am at the beginning of a similar situation with my DH as he was just diagnosed with he stage 1 of Alzheimer’s.  I am terrified of what is to come.

My prayers are with you as you go through this caregiving journey.  

I have done this three times already.  Except this time I have no support system.  Take advantage of any help you can get.

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Sorry I'm so late tonight but I've been pretty busy working on my stitching project and thinking about insurance for cruises this year.  I have a whole list of things I have been putting off and need to get at them.  I haven't even kept up with all the "live from" threads on the Grand voyages I'm sorry to say.  

9 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon from a very wet and very windy Cork.

We are currently under an Orange Weather Warning for Storm Isha, with winds up to Force 10.

We also have feline and canine type rain 😉 (raining cats and dogs!)😁

Today we had our usual Sunday lunch (as a take away) from the restaurant in Cork city that has kept us going through covid and DW's illness.  It is only Grilled breast of chicken with veg (3 of them), roast and mash potatoes and gravy, plus desert.  There is more than enough for the two of us for €20. Iit is basic but wholesome good food and we owe the couple who own/run the restaurant our immense thanks for helping us to survive through very difficult times.  (there is enough chicken left over for a sandwich for me this evening).

Next week I think I must also start to write down banking details, passwords, etc and give them to our daughter to ensure continuity if anything happens to me.  (It's not that I am a control freak, its just that I am better at doing it 😁) and modest!

Hope everyone has a great day!

take care!

I hope your wife continues to feel better and there are no surprises at her doctor appointments.  I have been thinking more of end of life details like you mentioned because it seems everywhere I turn there is bad news for others our age.  Another thing on the list mentioned above!

9 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

GOAL!  😉

😊  It must have been sweet!

9 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I have no playdate today, and I am in sweatpants to just hang around the house. No Cheesy socks, most of mine are plain. Interesting quote. Maybe on the meal (if I can use regular broccoli), and pass on the drink and wine. I haven't been to Singapore.  

We started off at about 15F with wind chill of 0F, and supposedly will get to 26F. At least there's some sun out. I got about 4 hours of sleep, then fell back asleep for an hour while waiting for the Daily to start up, hence the late Care List. It's still very hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in without pain/numbness, as well as having a lot of morning pain. I will try to make some calls tomorrow to see what I can find out. I guess I'll watch football again today.

@StLouisCruisers Good to hear that Amy is feeling better. Great Singapore photos; with DS and DDIL staying there, you had a chance to see things one likely wouldn't just on a cruise stop. Nice pictures of you and Dennis, and the DGSs.

@ottahand7 I'm glad you're on the mend. 

@aliaschief Nice to "see" you and Sue! 

@kazu Thanks for our start today. I hope the snow doesn't accumulate too much.

@smitty34877 I'm glad you got out of the house yesterday to spend time with your BFF. 

@dfish Enjoy the neighborhood party and meeting some new neighbors. 

@kochleffel I hope you continue to improve. Get lots of rest. 

@superoma Great socks! 

@rafinmd Thank you for today's maps.

@RMLincoln Safe travels tomorrow, and prayers for a successful eye surgery for your DH.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Excellent photos from Singapore.

@VMax1700 I hope that your DW gets good reports at her medical appointments.

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

Just try to get as much sleep as possible in the mornings.  We can wait!  I hope you can get some answers with your phone calls.  Seems like no one is in a hurry to call YOU!

Twin says she is better now too, but her DH is not getting there as fast as she is.  He's still on my prayer list.  

DS says he is staying in Texas until Monday the 29th!  I thought he'd have to fly back to Ann Arbor tonight but he will work from Frisco and do meetings remotely.  More time with the family which is nice.

8 hours ago, atexsix said:

Take care,

Bruno

Bruno, thank you for coming around to let us know the update on DD.  Many of us have had family members in hospice care and the suggestions by everyone for respite for you are good ones.  You have been such a huge help to him already, but please take care of yourself as well.  God bless you both.

8 hours ago, atexsix said:

How wonderful you and DD got to see Singapore together.  I'm sure those memories will be a comfort later on.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I hope you and Steve can get back to Singapore sometimes to see the latest fabulous additions in the Marina Bay area.  Just the hotel alone is out of this world!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2