The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday February 8th, 2024

kazu

9 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I hear you about the arthritis, I turn 78 in a few days and I hope I can get in 2 more years of golf, started playing golf in 1960 and along with 30 years of tennis my body can’t take much more, 80 will be a good number to quit with 66 years playing a game that I love.

I had to stop playing in 2012 when i was 55.

When I was fit I played better than  my 7 handicap but as my arthritis got worse I had gone to 12 handicap and struggled.

I miss my golf so much and like to hear how well you are playing and hopefully you can keep enjoying playing for several more years.

Happy 78th birthday in a few days time.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I hear you about the arthritis, I turn 78 in a few days and I hope I can get in 2 more years of golf, started playing golf in 1960 and along with 30 years of tennis my body can’t take much more, 80 will be a good number to quit with 66 years playing a game that I love.

Care to share the date with us?

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Care to share the date with us?

Feb 12, also Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday, it was nice growing up in Chicago as the schools were closed and always had my birthday off.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  It’s a beautiful sunny day, too bad I have to stay inside and work.  DH is on his way to Lancaster and he appreciates everyone’s kind thoughts.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good to me.  The next few days I’ll be working on using up leftovers from the freezer, cooking for one is not fun.  I hope everyone has a good day today.
image.png.d683887237714d87e352560a0f3f4970.png

• Like 27
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Feb 12, also Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday, it was nice growing up in Chicago as the schools were closed and always had my birthday off.

My Dad was also born on Feb 12 and we grew up in Springfield, IL and he told us the same thing. 🙂 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I hope my bank is aware of Get Rich day and celebrates by depositing something meaningful in my account.

The meal, drink and wine sound good, not been to the port although we were in Sicily in Dec.

Bon Voyage @Lady Hudson 

@MISTER 67 I will raise a glass for your birthday 🥂when I celebrate mine this weekend. 🎂

The view counters are back at work today

20240208_070640.thumb.jpg.0e769bc37219e41a5a9a1f544927e4b1.jpgCurrently 57° headed to 72° w/rain still forecasted this weekend. The lakes are still present in the backyard so I no idea where the water is supposed to go.

Prayers🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240208_065715.thumb.jpg.5242d6dd0e76d019418798c35a0cc6cc.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Happy Birthday and Wow. We have something in common. I also learned to play golf in 1960! And still going. My dad played until 86. Don't give it up!

• Like 19

1 minute ago, RedneckBob said:

Happy Birthday and Wow. We have something in common. I also learned to play golf in 1960! And still going. My dad played until 86. Don't give it up!

Will see what my body feels like, the cold mornings this year haven’t helped, I really have a hard time getting loose especially yesterday as I hadn’t played in 6 days because of rain outs. Here’s hoping you can still play at 86 and beyond. We have a Mens Member Golf Association and we have one guy who turns 90 in July and 2 others who are 85, one of the 85s stills smokes and like a chimney.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is sunny and going up to the high forties later. 
We finally got some help last night . I felt as if I had been awake for years by then but I am sure I slept a little. @JazzyV, Vanessa, I think you are amazing. I am so sorry your pain is so extensive and that you have to wait two more weeks for treatment. I don’t know how you get by on so little sleep.

Tana’s fever was less during the day yesterday but returned at night. The nurse is coming later to assess.  Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. This latest setback has been challenging.

The quote is interesting and I would have enjoyed the presentation Mr Newton gave. Laughing has  not increased my bank account but has benefitted my life greatly. The thing I miss the most these days is the ability of my DD DH to make me laugh.  Goulash would be welcome here  if someone would be so kind as to make it. 

@Lady Hudson, Bon Voyage!

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Our son was a boy scout and enjoyed the program, although one of the leaders was a complete idiot; they must have been desperate for leaders that one year.  Giving Hearts Day is a day for people to open their hearts and wallets to their favourite charities - I looked it up.  I do laugh a lot, but am no richer, at least not in my bank account.  

We had a good dump of snow over the past 48 hours, somewhere around 5 inches of thick, wet heavy snow, but without the winds that the Maritimes experienced, it just fell and stayed.  Thankfully our wonderful fellow came with his wife and cleared off the walk, driveway and patio - they said they'd be back today after the snow stopped, but wanted to be sure we could get out of our driveway without any issues.   Because of the freezing rain we'd had the day before, they also spread ice melt on the sidewalk in the front of our property so others wouldn't slip and fall - very thoughtful!  DH didn't end up going for coffee with his bandmates;  due to the snow a couple of the fellows called to cancel, so we simply stayed home and hung out.  I even had time for a nap in the afternoon, which was nice.

@Lady HudsonBon Voyage; I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I just read on FB that the Nieuw Statendam isn't able to stop at Grand Cayman today due to tender pier damage from storms, so that's the second port they haven't been able to stop at on this itinerary.  Not sure if it's going to be a sea day or if another port has been substituted at the last minute. 

Because we didn't get out yesterday, I do have to make a grocery run today - the flyers arrived and there are a few things I want to make sure to pick up while they're on sale.  I think I'd like the drink of the day if I left out the ginger beer (not a fan), will let others have my share of the white wine, and would quite enjoy the menu suggestion.  While I'm out, I'm going to pick up some burgers and fries from Five Guys that we will be able to enjoy at the kitchen table this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, hugs to those who need them.  Cheers to all with celebrations happening.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 33

Good sunny morning. It’s supposed to be a nice day and warmer tomorrow and Saturday. 
No further updates on this situation in Philadelphia. They expect to start searching the property today as it was not safe yesterday. Still saying 6 unaccounted for.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny morning. It’s supposed to be a nice day and warmer tomorrow and Saturday. 
No further updates on this situation in Philadelphia. They expect to start searching the property today as it was not safe yesterday. Still saying 6 unaccounted for.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

Prayers for those involved in that whole incident, and I'm glad to hear the police officers aren't seriously wounded.

Unfortunately they found the 5 Marines dead after a training mission accident with their helicopter.  May they RIP.  Prayers to their families.🙏

Just to correct a misstatement I made earlier this morning and cannot edit.  The replacement port on our fall cruise is Cagliari, Italy on the island of Sardinia, not Sicily.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Oh my gosh, that's absolutely horrible; I just saw the news report on television!!

• Like 17

Good sunny morning from north New Jersey, and my weather app says high of 50 today!  Yay!  It’s supposed to stay nice through Monday when we’re scheduled for eye doctor to burn open one suture in DH’s surgical eye. He’s being very brave, he’s actually phobic about people coming near his eyes but he’s managed through so far!  Says he hasn’t got much choice, just keep moving forward. Then maybe snow Tuesday, I sure hope it doesn’t come early!  

I was a Boy Scouts mom longer than either of my boys because I stayed with it through both of them, one Life Scout, one Eagle Scout. Sadly, our troop was very short of men leaders because many single moms brought their sons to Boy Scouts but it was a wonderful time in my life with many good memories of adventures and learning. 

Not aligning with the quote today. Pass on good and drink. When I was 18 my mom took me on a whirlwind 2week European tour. I literally cried in Westminster Abbey at Sir Issac Newton’s tomb. I’m deeply grateful that I feel rich!  

Bon Voyage @Lady Hudson and blessings for continued improvement for your SIL. 

Prayers for all in pain, distress, in need of healing, comfort or hope. Resolution to the too many horrible situations near and far. May the weather be kind to you and yours, or you can stay safely inside!  Protection for the first responders!
Cheers for those celebrating 🎉 and happy safe cruising for all our Dailies. I love hearing of your travels and seeing your pictures, lifts my Spirit!  

Anxiously awaiting news of improvement from Annie, Vanessa, Terry and Terri. Wishing Melissa even a small a laugh today too!  

Thanks for being here, keep safe and well. 
Maureen 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Tana’s fever was less during the day yesterday but returned at night. The nurse is coming later to assess.  Thank you all for your prayers and good wishes. This latest setback has been challenging.

Tana’s fever is so worrisome 😔. I am glad that the nurse is coming to assess her and hopefully can help.  My prayers for you both continue 🙏 

25 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Saw this on the news.  Such a sad and horrific state of events 😔 

14 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Unfortunately they found the 5 Marines dead after a training mission accident with their helicopter.  May they RIP.  Prayers to their families.🙏

Very sad indeed 😔 prayer for them and their families 🙏 so tragic.

7 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

It’s supposed to stay nice through Monday when we’re scheduled for eye doctor to burn open one suture in DH’s surgical eye. He’s being very brave, he’s actually phobic about people coming near his eyes but he’s managed through so far!  Says he hasn’t got much choice, just keep moving forward. Then maybe snow Tuesday, I sure hope it doesn’t come early!  

Your DH has a good attitude 👍. I hope the weather holds for you for safe and easy travels and a successful procedure.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning Dailyites from a 59 going to 74 degree day.

Goodness, our prayers going out to so many this morning. Sandi, I had not heard about the marine's being found. RIP. 

Update on our friend Ron. He has something found on an imaging in his throat area. He is scheduled for a hospital MRI tomorrow (after 2 cancellations) where he will go under anesthesia. He now has a bad cough and wheezing and his leg pain is unbearable. Thank you for continuing prayers.

Today is Christmas Day for my girls game night group. We finally found a date we can all attend. We have a ton of food being prepared and won't need to cook tomorrow with all the expected left overs. I got some really fun gifts on the various islands we visited in Nov-Dec-Jan. I told the girls they got gifts with no possibility of returns.

Wishing you all a happy, peaceful, healthy, blessed day!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Paul, Eva, and Ann for the Fleet Report and Daily.

I like all the day's days, especially Boy Scout Anniversary Day which is now "Scouts, BSA" which is almost fully coed except that in the 11-18 group there are boys troops and girls troops.  My Fire Department sponsors a boy's troop, a girls troop and a coed Cub pack.

Not convinced on the quote.  Newton was a true genius.  I visited Catania just once, way back in 2010 on Crystal Serenity.

I think I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Pineapple, Banana, and Mango Compote, Crepinette of Roasted Chicken, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam February 8, 2019.

dishes08.jpg

I will be less active on the Daily for a few days.  My church is upgrading our livestreaming equipment and I have training on the new equipment tomorrow and practice Saturday morning.  In the meantime I am watching a lot of videos on the new equipment.

Bon Voyage @Lady Hudson.  Glad to hear @smitty34877 got some help; hoping something can be done for Tana.

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3

Good Thursday Morning Dailyites!  Its 41 degrees and while when I woke up at 7:30 it was sunny, it is now mostly cloudy...just cloudy.  I was having such an interesting dream this morning that I went back to sleep because I was hoping that it would continue, and it did, but the outcome was strange.  I dreamt i was in a house, that I have dreamt of before.  But I was with my old call center buddies working from this little house, and when I moved to see what was in the next room, it was my mother complaining about all these people in her house, so I moved around the corner and down the hall, and it was the bedroom of my second husband...who said the house was his, and he was renting the space to the call center.

When I woke up the second time, I asked myself what do these people have in common.

They were all trapped. By the circumstances of their lives.  And I realized that I did not want to go back to sleep to find out who else was there.  I might have found a mirror.

I was in a zoom training class late yesterday afternoon, and DH went out to feed the strays at 5.  He came back in and got another can.  There are 5 he said. He went back out.  Came back in, there are 7 .We are  nothing but a feeding station for stray cats.  He locked Tiger on the porch so the others could eat, and poor Tiger was "starving" with only his food to eat. Ha! Not.

Sorry about my rambling today, but I havent had a dream in a long time, and I needed to share.

e4d45410970b3e58b1a287845a9e0453.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Good Morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Busy morning already!!  I used to go with my brothers to their Cub Scout stuff as my mother was a Den Mother.  I didn't have sons so I went with Girl Scouts with my kids. Here is the description of Giving Hearts Day:

Founded in 2008, Giving Hearts Day is a 24-hour event for charities in North Dakota and northwest Minnesota. Each year, Giving Hearts Day provides a platform for charities to fund their missions through an ever-increasing community of donors, many of whom get to experience the joy of giving for the first time. The longest-running giving day in the country, Giving Hearts Day has helped participating charities raise more than $165 million since its founding.

IMG_4178.thumb.JPG.4d0512d3486a28c549236e6df5e1464e.JPG

Laughing is good for the soul.  I don't agree with the quote as I resist "needing" someone.  Pass on all the gastronomy offerings and I have never been to Sicily.  Oh, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Newton read his paper!!

IMG_4176.thumb.JPG.853152c85a0412e7242dba118a7c51da.JPG

Gym done, PT this afternoon, focus group afterwards.  What a day this will be.  Started out very cool under sunny skies (39F presently) and we are expecting another storm this afternoon.  If it gets to the mid 50s we will be lucky.

IMG_4180.JPG.920b1a94487b87c0a9f278f9cfdc6889.JPG

Sad day in Tucson.  A mother zebra was frightened by the storms on Tuesday, ran toward a wooden fence and her1-month old baby followed her.  Mom stopped before the fence but the baby didn't and suffered a broken neck.  Little Tikiti Maji - who they just named recently, died immediately.  It was so sad and the zoo community is mourning.

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers for those celebrating.

IMG_4179.JPG.91051ff869d96a64dd8df5657fa2eb5d.JPG

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, superoma said:

Feb 8

Hungarian beef goulash

This recipe is easy, no pre browning but the spices used make it sound very tasty. And yes, another slow cooker recipe 

https://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251960/hungarian-beef-goulash/

image.png.865776b35ea6c650f1bc470cbb3da2c6.png

This one claims to be authentic. But The Hungarian Gulasch recipe handed down to me by my grandmother more closely resembled the first one, no carrots etc in it. 

https://www.daringgourmet.com/traditional-hungarian-goulash-gulyas/

image.thumb.png.1e59f50e0e8d7f3dae71cc585e0e3c5f.png

Good morning all,

We had goulash sometime in December or early January. I added the second recipe to my “try it” list and just made it last week. It’s now on our go-to list. It was really good.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/traditional-hungarian-goulash-gulyas/

Beautiful day here in SoCal. The ground remains saturated as we dry out.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

Good Afternoon from a very rainy and foggy St. Maarten.

We docked 1 1/2 hours later than anticipated.

We have decided not to leave the ship today.  It is just too miserable out there.  I am surprised they actually called at the port.  I would take a photo but the only thing you would see from my balcony is the “Wonder of the Seas”.   It holds over 5000 passengers.  The thing is huge and I am sure we look like a rowboat next to it,

Thank you Jacqui, Roy, Vanessa, Ann, Paul and @superoma for your contributions to the thread and keeping it going.

I have had one difficult time with the internet connection on this voyage.  It is slower than dial-up.  Remember that?  I guess it will be that way for today and the next couple of days with them being sea days.

There seems to be a glitch in my onboard account.  Every time I charge something to my account, the system deducts $9.50 from my refundable OBC.  It is supposed to use up the non-refundable first.   So everytime this happens I have to go down to reception and get it corrected.  It doesn’t matter what the amount of the charge is, they just take $9.50 from the refundable portion.  They have no idea why and where it is coming from.  They are happy to give it back to me, but they can’t fix it.  It is a “glitch in the system” and I am not the only one with the problem.  Crazy!

Today seems like a good day for an afternoon nap.  Nothing else of note to do, except read.  

Prayers for everyone and cheers for those celebrating and cruising.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1