The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday April 8th, 2024

kazu

Thank you Rich, Jacaui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the Eclipse day report.  I prefer "Keepin it Real" to D,A,R,E, will not try to draw a bird, but will celebrate Roma Day.

I like the Lewis point of view.  I have not been to Darwin but have been relatively close, Alice Springs on a 2003 land trip.

A tip of the cap to Hank Arron.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Cantaloupe, Pineapple, and Orange, Iced Melon Bisque, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy and Cranberry, and Triple Berry Crisp as served on MS Zaandam April 8, 2017:

dishes08.jpg

Back from the cardiologist.  Nothing major but some issues surfaced.  She has ordered a consult with the Hopkins Valve Clinic but that could take months to schedule.  She also ordered a long term heart monitor which should be fitted in the next few days.  She also ordered a test of increasing the dose of one of my meds for a week.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

We had some good views of the eclipse, but as it progressed the high thin clouds got thicker.  We could still see the eclipse, but you could tell the difference in the pictures DH's telescopes took as it progressed.  Totality was amazing as it went almost totally dark when totality was reached.  Then when the first edge of the sun peeked out, it brightened up instantly.  We could see some planets during totality.

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you Rich, Jacaui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the Eclipse day report.  I prefer "Keepin it Real" to D,A,R,E, will not try to draw a bird, but will celebrate Roma Day.

I like the Lewis point of view.  I have not been to Darwin but have been relatively close, Alice Springs on a 2003 land trip.

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Cantaloupe, Pineapple, and Orange, Iced Melon Bisque, Turkey Roast with Giblet Gravy and Cranberry, and Triple Berry Crisp as served on MS Zaandam April 8, 2017:

dishes08.jpg

Back from the cardiologist.  Nothing major but some issues surfaced.  She has ordered a consult with the Hopkins Valve Clinic but that could take months to schedule.  She also ordered a long term heart monitor which should be fitted in the next few days.  She also ordered a test of increasing the dose of one of my meds for a week.

Roy

Roy, I hope the tests and the consult show there is nothing serious happening.

Lenda

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

...Back from the cardiologist.  Nothing major but some issues surfaced.  She has ordered a consult with the Hopkins Valve Clinic but that could take months to schedule.  She also ordered a long term heart monitor which should be fitted in the next few days.  She also ordered a test of increasing the dose of one of my meds for a week.

Roy

Good there was nothing major and hope you're able to get into Hopkins soon.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

dishes08.jpg

Roy

Good luck and best wishes Roy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We had some good views of the eclipse, but as it progressed the high thin clouds got thicker.  We could still see the eclipse, but you could tell the difference in the pictures DH's telescopes took as it progressed.  Totality was amazing as it went almost totally dark when totality was reached.  Then when the first edge of the sun peeked out, it brightened up instantly.  We could see some planets during totality.

We saw planets, too. It was all very cool.

Fun part was hearing all the kids cheering. We're across from an elementary school and can hear when they're outside. The kids cheering timed times w/the birds squawking. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We watched from our back yard, got to about 95% totality. It got very chilly and the birds stopped singing for a bit. I had to come inside to warm up.

no planets, didn’t get dark enough. That would have been so cool

Edited by superoma
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Very exciting for all of you that witnessed the eclipse. We saw nothing. The sky remained the same and it remained daylight.  There were a bunch of people on the beach with the special glasses but Nada. I am sure they were disappointed. Oh well, we will see it in 2045! LOL

• Like 23

6 minutes ago, superoma said:

We watched from our back yard, got to about 95% totality. It got very chilly and the birds stopped singing for a bit. I had to come inside to warm up.

no planets, didn’t get dark enough. That would have been so cool

We saw planets, it was completely dark here. Neighbor child across the street screamed "Mama, it's nighttime out here!" So cute.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

With the special glasses we saw about 1/2 of the sun in darkness but not at all what some others saw.  We watched the NASA you tube and it looked amazing.  

Happy birthday and anniversary to all celebrating.  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Time to book those cruises for the next total eclipse

Aug. 12, 2026
Total
A total solar eclipse will be visible in Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia, and a small area of Portugal, while a partial eclipse will be visible in Europe, Africa, North America, the Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean, and Pacific Ocean
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5

These do not begin to do justice, but maybe give an idea of what it was like.

Before Totality

20240408_144923.thumb.jpg.18354c675a1f76468dc8b209ceaed7bd.jpg

During Totality. Bright dot lower right of moon/sun is planet.

20240408_144807.thumb.jpg.da2a47b82b073411c26f2c27536da3a7.jpg

20240408_144752.thumb.jpg.8b260c72a2d528c3d91bbbeff498ca10.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

@rafinmd I'm guessing tests are better to hear than hospital now.  But please let us know about the heart monitor.  What do they want to see?  Answer when you get a chance.  I know you have a busy day.  Gentle non contagious hug being sent your way.

• Like 21

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

dishes08.jpg

Roy

Roy:  I also had a cardiac stress test today.  It will be 17 years in July since I had triple bypass surgery. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

A big disappointment for twin Linda.  They tried to get south to see the eclipse from the old cemetery 8 family members are buried in.  They couldn't get there due to traffic jams on the highways!  They turned around and went home.  She said it was the only thing she wanted for her birthday and cried!  Very sad for her.  Here it barely got gloomy out (80%).  DH was outside watering the sod over the recently dug up yard and it was plenty light out.  The house looked dim inside though.  I watched coverage on TV.  It looked exciting in some cities.  Ren texted birthday wishes and just flew into Dallas this afternoon with his soccer team and said he caught it from the plane.  Something we will all remember for a while.  DS said he remembered the last one in 2017 and I said I didn't.  So checked it out and we were in Dubrovnik last time on Aug. 21, 2017.  It was about 95% coverage here that time apparently.

Roy @rafinmd, good luck getting your appointment with the valve clinic and hope everything goes well in that regard.

Thank you to Terri @Cruzin Terri, Karen @luvteaching, Pennie @Nickelpenny, Eva @superoma, Carolyn @Cruising-along, Brenda @bennybear, and Debbie @tupper10 for your birthday wishes!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

IMG_2395.thumb.jpeg.0b10dfec48c2f3ef6fc026172342ab74.jpegIMG_2377.thumb.jpeg.7a80ba9aafc4758afa294dcb7ff9c180.jpegIMG_2365.thumb.jpeg.1a57ec0f5e1ed5e3d3007ffba54e20c9.jpegWe had some clouds which made it possible to get some direct photos. Mostly we used a long pin-hole indirect viewing tube on our balcony. I think we were supposed to get to 91.6%

We had fun!  m—

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Happy Birthday @StLouisCruisersSandi!  Everyone in the country sure as heck was celebrating today.  😊  

I'm sorry to hear Linda had a disappointing day.  Hopefully her evening will be nice.

Enjoy the rest of your day, too!!   🎂  🎈  🎊

Edited by AncientWanderer
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't see any of the eclipse here in Mesa so I watched it on ABC network. Amazing. Feeling somewhat better today but still rather light headed and having some balance issues. I am going to ask my BIL to go with me to the cardiology appointment on Wednesday.

Jane 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Happy Birthday @StLouisCruisersSandi!  Everyone in the country sure as heck was celebrating today.  😊  

I'm sorry to hear Linda had a disappointing day.  Hopefully her evening will be nice.

Enjoy the rest of your day, too!!   🎂  🎈  🎊

Thank you so much Maxine!  Wine time starts in 30 minutes or so!  I appreciate all the hoopla everyone had for us.🤣

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

Good Afternoon, thanks for the daily fleet report.  @StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to you and your twin.
 It was a busy work morning and then everything got quiet as the eclipse.  That allowed me to watch it safely on tv.  DH was in meetings through most of it.  It did get darker here but not total darkness.  The kids slept through it all.

image.png.215bcf94d88ba23e6cc06a83e06e1cb8.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

A big disappointment for twin Linda.  They tried to get south to see the eclipse from the old cemetery 8 family members are buried in.  They couldn't get there due to traffic jams on the highways!  They turned around and went home.  She said it was the only thing she wanted for her birthday and cried!  Very sad for her.  Here it barely got gloomy out (80%).  DH was outside watering the sod over the recently dug up yard and it was plenty light out.  The house looked dim inside though.  I watched coverage on TV.  It looked exciting in some cities.  Ren texted birthday wishes and just flew into Dallas this afternoon with his soccer team and said he caught it from the plane.  Something we will all remember for a while.  DS said he remembered the last one in 2017 and I said I didn't.  So checked it out and we were in Dubrovnik last time on Aug. 21, 2017.  It was about 95% coverage here that time apparently.

Roy @rafinmd, good luck getting your appointment with the valve clinic and hope everything goes well in that regard.

Thank you to Terri @Cruzin Terri, Karen @luvteaching, Pennie @Nickelpenny, Eva @superoma, Carolyn @Cruising-along, Brenda @bennybear, and Debbie @tupper10 for your birthday wishes!

Sandi, I'm sorry Linda had such a disappointing day today.  I know here we were getting warnings about heavy traffic due to the eclipse.  The Texas Department of Transportation even banned large trucks from I-35 in this part of the state and around the DFW area.

51 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I couldn't see any of the eclipse here in Mesa so I watched it on ABC network. Amazing. Feeling somewhat better today but still rather light headed and having some balance issues. I am going to ask my BIL to go with me to the cardiology appointment on Wednesday.

Jane 

Jane, I'm sorry you are still light headed and still having some balance issues.  I'm glad you are going to ask you BIL to go with you to your appointment Wednesday,  Please, if your symptoms worsen before the appointment, call 911 and get to the ER.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, thanks for the daily fleet report.  @StLouisCruisers Happy Birthday to you and your twin.
 It was a busy work morning and then everything got quiet as the eclipse.  That allowed me to watch it safely on tv.  DH was in meetings through most of it.  It did get darker here but not total darkness.  The kids slept through it all.

image.png.215bcf94d88ba23e6cc06a83e06e1cb8.png

Thank you Jake!  I love Oreos so appreciate this set up immensely.😉

• Like 13