Emerald Princess - what’s your vote?

Globaler

Thinking of sailing the Emerald in October 2024. We loved the Enchanted, liked the Regal, prefer not to sail the Caribbean again, will let you know our thoughts on the Sun upcoming as we sail in June. What are your thoughts on the Emerald?

I prefer the Grand Class ships over the Royal Class. I was on a b2b on the Ruby in March and as expected enjoyed it. I know nothing about the new Sun except that it isn't sailing the longer itineraries I enjoy, and it appears to have too many passengers for the amount of public space. 

Posted (edited)

I love the Grand Class ships in general, although I would agree the CB is probably my least favorite. 

The Emerald is a wonderful ship. We really enjoyed our British Isles cruise aboard her a couple years ago. If it is an itinerary you want, I would encourage you to give it a go. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed - I like the Royal Class ships, but the Grand Class really have a special charm and design that gives more of an old school cruising vibe that I actually really love, especially with the full promenade deck. 

Edited by karatemom2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Emerald will be closer to Caribbean than the Enchanted or Regal.

I'm lukewarm on it. It's better than the Royal Class (my opinion, apparently not yours), but it still has a Riviera deck.

Even though we have our favorite ships, we book our cruises by the itinerary.  We have a 54-day cruise booked on our least favorite ship, Island Princess. 

That being said, we really like the Emerald and her crew.

• Like 5

Just off a 15 night cruise on Emerald for the solar eclipse and Panama Canal. Great ship, no complaints at all. Just not as glitzy/new as any Royal Class ship. Would go again any time.

• Like 7

On 4/21/2024 at 11:17 AM, karatemom2 said:

I love the Grand Class ships in general, although I would agree the CB is probably my least favorite. 

The Emerald is a wonderful ship. We really enjoyed our British Isles cruise aboard her a couple years ago. If it is an itinerary you want, I would encourage you to give it a go. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed - I like the Royal Class ships, but the Grand Class really have a special charm and design that gives more of an old school cruising vibe that I actually really love, especially with the full promenade deck. 

We were on it 3 times in the past. Just ok.  This past Sat. Got off it after 15 days in Panama Canal.  The buffet area since its refurbishment looks wonderful.  Certain areas were ignored and therefore very noticeable on the ship.

I hated the Emerald Princess and will avoid it like the plague, but it is the only Princess ship I have ever been on, so I can't say how it compares to the Royal Class ships. I am banking that I will greatly prefer the Royal Class as I am sailing on the Enchanted in under two weeks. I am really hoping I like the newer ships as the Emerald was much too old for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is a great example why we don't book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, cabin, etc. based on others experiences and opinions, positive and negative. I enjoy reading and respect everyone's opinions. Whether I agree with someone or not doesn't make either of us wrong or right.

• Like 2

Although the Emerald was OK in it's day, it can't begin to compete with the Royal class ships. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 3:41 PM, LACruiser88 said:

Even though we have our favorite ships, we book our cruises by the itinerary. 

Cannot agree more and we have cruised all types of ships from mega to smaller than Emerald including the oldest RCCL ship currently on the seas and enjoyed EVERY one of them!! 

• Like 4

I've sailed on the Royal class ships but also the Emerald, 30 days So. Amer., preferred Emerald for the longer cruise. 

I'm taking a Quebec to Ft. L. on the Emerald this Fall.  I've done the same cruise on the Royal, it's about the itinerary for me.  I don't need the newest or biggest to make my cruise great.

We took The Emerald from LA to Hawaii and has a fabulous time. Last year we did NY round trip to New England/ Canada. Both times the service and CDs entertainment was great. It has a cosy, friendly feel. Would definitely cruise again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I hated the Emerald Princess and will avoid it like the plague, but it is the only Princess ship I have ever been on, so I can't say how it compares to the Royal Class ships. I am banking that I will greatly prefer the Royal Class as I am sailing on the Enchanted in under two weeks. I am really hoping I like the newer ships as the Emerald was much too old for me.

You hated your 1st ship you sailed on with Princess, so you have booked another

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Our experience was so bad in the main dining room it’s the only Princess ship I’d never sail on again. Untrained waitstaff, false pricing on the left side menu and a snarky Maitre’d. There are so many other great Princess ships with excellent staff to choose from. 

I have been on 35 Princess cruises and over 50 total on multiple lines and the only one I hated was Viking Mississippi . For $25,000 you stood at a machine to make toast in the morning like a motel 6. When I see the Sea Witch logo on the Princess hull I get goosebumps. I guess , just put me on the ocean and I’m happy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coral said:

I would think if you didn't like Caribbean Princess, you probably would not like Emerald.

This was my gut reaction.  Very similar ships.

My first 4 cruises were on Grand class ships, and my 2nd cruise, my honeymoon, was on the Emerald.  Loved them back then, it's how I fell in love with cruising, but upon revisiting the Caribbean Princess this past October for the first time in a long time and after experiencing a couple sparkling new Royal class ships over the past few years, it definitely confirmed that we strongly prefer Royal class ships now.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 3:41 PM, LACruiser88 said:

Even though we have our favorite ships, we book our cruises by the itinerary.  

Hubby and I have different favorite ships so itinerary always wins lol. Emerald however we both enjoyed equally. 

• Like 1