The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday April 26th, 2024

Good cold sunny morning. It’s currently 44 and it’s supposed to be a nice day.

I have an appointment for my yearly mammogram this morning and not much planned after that

Birthday wishes to Debbie. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 29

Thank you Sandi, thank you Roy, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

One week until we leave for our MSC cruise from Port Canaveral! It is the first time that we are driving to Florida to cruise. I am anxious to try my new Subaru on a long distance drive.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 29

Good morning, everyone!  

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  I am almost all packed except for last minute items.  I plan to be out of here in the next hour.  

Thank you for all the wishes for a safe trip and for the birthday wishes.  All are greatly appreciated!  

• Like 31

Good morning from a sunny and chilly (38F) Boston.  Thanks for the daily report, I’ll gladly celebrate Audubon Day and will hug an Australian if I run across one.  I had a chuckle at the quote.  Think I’ll pass on the meal suggestion and a maybe on the drink.  We’re heading to a fundraiser in York, ME for the weekend while the broker hosts open houses here this weekend.  Prayers for those who need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  Happy birthday to @dfish and safe travels to visit with your friends in Ohio! 

• Like 28

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

It’s 65 this AM heading up to a warm 87 with the usual sunny skies.

Good selection of days.

Some chuckles with the quote by Mel Brooks who is one funny guy, his Young Frankenstein is my favorite movie comedy of all time.

Not sure about the meal.

My Tampa Bay Lightning are toast as they have lost the first 3 games of their playoff series against the Florida Panthers, the Bolts need a miracle. 

Today is our last Men’s Golf Assn. Tournament of the season. Most of the Snowbirds have already headed north with only a few still here. Traffic has thinned out and the restaurants aren’t as crowded, hallelujah!

Have a great day and stay well.

I hope what happened to my Bruins last year does NOT happen to your lightning. Out in the first series! 

• Like 18

Good morning and Thank you!!!  Wonderful reports and information!!!

National Audoban Day...  Does this count for Chickens and Quail, too???  Since we are a home for them -- as well as all the native Texas birds -- Mockingbirds, doves, bluejays, grackle, robin, woodpeckers, owls, hawks, and so many more -- but those I see in the backyard!  

And OH MY...  Chernobyl...  That was an event!!  WOW!!!  @grapau27 Thank you for all that information!!

Salmon Power Bowls...  I can't say I've ever had one.  I love salmon...  maybe it's time for a try!

I can't wait to hear about the DOD:  Summer Love...

12 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!  

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan.  I am almost all packed except for last minute items.  I plan to be out of here in the next hour.  

Thank you for all the wishes for a safe trip and for the birthday wishes.  All are greatly appreciated!  

Happy Birthday to you!!  Hugs and special wishes!!!

OIP.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!  

Safe travels!!🚙

• Like 23

Good morning everyone.  It is a beautiful morning and a nice day coming up.   Thanks for the daily and the maps, Sandi, Rich and Roy!   It would be easy to hug an Aussie on a BHB, there is always some of those citizens on HA ships.  Audubon Society is a great organization, we are awaiting the arrival of the Baltimore Orioles and the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks due here any moment.  The jelly has been out for a week, the finches have been enjoying it.   Chernobyl put a taint on nuclear power, along with Three Mile Island.  We need to reconsider it to reduce all the reliance on polluting fossil fuels.  They are working on recommissioning a plant nearby on Lake Michigan.   A funny quote by Mel Brooks.

Thanks for the Daily comestibles each day @cat shepard, @0106 and @kochleffel.   I will pass on salmon, always.    Today's Cava sounds like a winner and hoping for a good cocktail for a BHB.  Sounds like one.   

Vanessa thank you for the Cares and Celebrations reports.  @RMLincoln I hope you made it home safely and sympathy for your family in the passing of your SIL.  She is no longer suffering,  I hope you can be a help to your DB and his family.   @smitty34877 I am sad to read your family's visit is winding down and continued prayers for Tana.  Prayers for @ger_77 DH, @Cruzin Terri for her DH and for Annie and Chuck @marshhawk.    

John insists on taking me to lunch today.   Today is the anniversary of my late DHs passing in 2015.   He was in hospice for 13 days before he passed.  I prefer to work with my plant sale plants in the sun but I have to recognize the thought.  I am surprised he is leaving the house with the Draft showing.   I had a very good trip to the meat sale arriving with number 28 being waited on and I had #41.  Only a 20 minute wait, last year it was almost an hour.  Then I went to their garden center and bought a flat of tomato, squash and cucumbers to pot into bigger pots for the sale.  Sun and fertilizer and they will really take off.   Have a lovely Friday.  Nancy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  Yesterday was a hard day for both DH and I, life things, and his health things. Being a pawn on the chess board of work I was told yesterday morning that I would rejoin CTG in 3 weeks, once the "real": employee came back to work for the opera.  Mid afternoon I found out that the "real" employee was not going to take this job, as it only offered 20 hours, and that I could not work for both at the same time. But by last night at 10, my hero boss for an east coast job, saved my day, and will work with me on weird hours in the mornings.

DH and I were going to go to Emory tomorrow to hear Verdi's Requiem, but feel that with the college unrest, and the demonstrations going on there, we are better off staying home.  We did not lose money on tickets, I am often invited to events for free.  It just would have been nice to get away from the our daily problems.

In my last day of "celebration" we are heading out this morning to mail some items, go to W-M since we didn't get there the other day, and have lunch at my favorite Thai restaurant.  Its a ways from home, but near a W-M. And I need to pay the water bill.  Problems still exist with mail delivery in the Atlanta area.

I am trying to catch up with what happened yesterday, but @RMLincoln condolences on the loss of your DSIL.

@JazzyVglad that you are getting more sleep and are achey, not incapacitated with pain. 

funny-pictures-finally-friday-cat.jpg

Al Roker is talking about bad weather in the middle of the country-be safe everyone!

• Like 26

Summer Love

If you're my age, and many people here are, you probably remember the Summer of Love. The Summer Love cocktail appears to have nothing to do with that, but there may be some sort of philosophical lesson in the extreme variety of recipes for it--no two were alike or even similar, although many of them are pink. I'm going to offer two.

Summer Love 1

2 oz vodka   
1 oz lemon juice
½ oz simple syrup
5 mint leaves (buy)
1 oz watermelon liqueur 

In a cocktail shaker, gently muddle the fresh mint leaves to release their aromatic oils. Add the vodka, watermelon liqueur, fresh lemon juice, and simple syrup to the shaker. Fill the shaker with ice cubes and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds to combine all the ingredients and chill the cocktail. Strain the mixture from the shaker into the glass with fresh ice cubes and garnish the cocktail with a watermelon slice or a sprig of mint (optional).

summer-love-1.jpg.758bd1b89590a05854cafa129018c610.jpg

Summer Love 2

40ml rum
3 strawberries
15ml limoncello liqueur
15ml honey
Juice of half a fresh lemon
Champagne

Muddle the strawberries. Add all of the other ingredients except the champagne. Shake over ice. Double strain into a Champagne coupe. Top with champagne. Garnish with half a fresh strawberry.

cocktail-spread1-2_26052020100015.thumb.jpeg.4e71093b08f4d3a6116aec5a33ff8426.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 21

@dfishhappy birthday and safe travels today.

had blood work this morning for my annual checkup. My NP requested a mammogram booking for May (yearly) but I can’t get in until October. The breast health centre is so far behind because of the cyber attack this past winter on our local hospitals. They are part of that system. 

lovely sunshine this morning, temps rising, but rain starting tomorrow and for most of the coming week. At least it will be a warm rain!

• Like 25

Good morning from a cloudy and windy, 12mph, central Texas. It is 72F and heading to 78F this afternoon.  According to the weather app, it will begin raining soon, and rain on and off the rest of the day.  The wind is supposed to pick up to 19mph, and tomorrow the winds will be 20+mph with more rain.  There is a possibility we could have severe thunderstorms.  I keep reminding myself this is our rainy season, and we don't have to turn on the sprinkler.  Not sure what we'll be doing today.

Three good days to celebrate or at least in the case of Chernobyl to remember and hope we won't have anymore disasters like that.  I have several Australian friends who I would love to hug.

I always love Mel Brooks comments and movies.  My two favorites are "Blazing Saddles" and "The History of the World, Part 1".

I would enjoy the salmon but without the power bowl.  HAL used to have a teriyaki  salmon salad that was very good.  If I was going to drink today's drink, I would try the first recipe.  We'll pass on the wine.

We have not been to Hobart or any other port in Tasmania.

Shipping containers and container ships have changed how we move goods from one place to another.  Several years ago, there was a lecturer on Prinsendam who's topic was "The Box That Changed The World.  It was about shipping containers and was very interesting.

@grapau27  Thank you, Graham, for elaborating on the days today.  

@aliaschief Bruce, thank you for the pictures of your ship.  We sailed on two of her sister ships when they were part of the Princess fleet.  Nice small ships.

@MISTER 67  I'm sorry the Lightning did not win last night.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm glad you moved yourself to the celebration list.  

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, that is good news that things are calmer now.

@smitty34877  Terry, safe travels to your NH family.  I hope you are well rested, and that whatever happens will be easier to handle now.

@1ANGELCAT  I hope your mammogram shows everything is normal.

@rafinmd  Roy, that was good news your PSA are dropping.

@0106  Tina, thanks for presenting our selection of recipes while Debbie @dfish is traveling.

@kochleffel  Paul, thank you for researching and presenting our drink recipes.

@summer slope  Welcome home, Dixie and George.

@ottahand7  Nancy, I hope the good memories of your DH help ease the pain on this sad anniversary.

437956242_10160682460738551_2985330975480808707_n.jpg.a1bc2600473774f7b79b7d0970935120.jpg

438169965_122136849512097816_5875432690662987639_n.jpg.5767c8968f1338ba515ea097a184031d.jpg

438670118_461509572900131_626556528745900194_n.jpg.d7329c06d6f76c48ccfd7020ab7c8220.jpg

438691666_955363613261892_2490936110872231726_n.jpg.a719b04707517a658a0ba948c3e2334d.jpg

438725578_1525096051375913_3084292281618784659_n.jpg.7cff1b51922139c748df883e055b3c69.jpg

439336809_122140186472162269_2047741749499712497_n.jpg.00f67e734e31c60a0791c3683d42c370.jpg

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 17

Happy Friday to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Another beautiful day in the neighborhood with the temps heading to the low 80s with some expected wind in the early evening.  I think we are done with winter and heading into summer quickly as all next week we will be in the mid 90s for the entire week.  Love it!

Two good days to celebrate and 1 somber day to remember.  I chuckled at Mel's quote.  The drink sounds interesting as well as the wine, never been to Hobart. 

ScreenShot2024-04-26at06_34_18.png.6c797432c953da82044c085e9e464e02.png

I think I will try a version of the meal as I will have salmon again tonight.  I did cook my version of the one pan salmon with fennel and couscous last night.  I did make it a little more spicy than most people would like as I made a homemade harissa paste and homemade sun-dried tomato pesto and a olive-almond salsa.  I thought it turned out good but needed something green 🥴.

IMG_7775.thumb.JPG.cfe93b26cdc7b63a158fa720872cff98.JPG

I will be at the high school today for one of the math teachers.  It is spirit week and the final pep assembly is today with the theme of "Beach Day".  It is also the last assembly for the principal who has finally decided to retire.  The HS is his life so this will be a bitter sweet day.

ScreenShot2024-04-25at14_40_26.thumb.png.016952041f579de1251d4cb6979ff42e.png

Condolences @RMLincoln and Happy Birthday @dfish (safe travels).  Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Haha 2

Good morning Dailyites 

A few chores this morning got me late to posting. 

Prayers lifted for our Daily friends and family.  So happy to see Vanessa on our celebration list! Happy Birthday @dfish have a safe journey.

Last night was a lot of fun. So much food for game night. Ribs, potatoes/onions, German carrot salad... 

For celebration of Audubon,  here is a great App for bird lovers:

It's called "Merlin bird ID by Cornell lab". After you download the app, you can select "sound ID" the app listens to the bird, records the sound, and tells you what birds you're listening to, along with the picture of the bird. It also keeps the bird songs! Mine is normally the Northern Cardinal, dove, even a hummingbird a few nights ago visiting our feeder. The app identifies over 1200 species by sound. It's amazing!

image.png.e82d1fcda60c79fa40c456930c469466.png

image.png.01cbb4566d3fb49af222c612dec21894.png

This afternoon is a drive to Austin for a VA appt. Then we will join friends for sushi. 

Thanks to our Food and beverage department for the recipes. Roy and Sandi, thanks for the Fleet report and maps.

Wishing everyone a great, healthy,  blessed weekend. 

• Like 25
  • Haha 3

It's impossible to forget the Chernobyl disaster. No Australians within hugging reach at the moment. Because of the charges of scientific fraud and plagiarism, plus racism and body-snatching, against John James Audubon, some chapters including those in Seattle, Chicago, and New York, have changed their names, although the National Audubon Society did not.

OK on the menu suggestion although I wouldn't go out of my way to get farro or whatever. No on the drink, especially since I'm still not sure what it's really supposed to be. For the wine, Glenora Blanc des Blanc 2015, $30.99.

The bruising of my arm is worse, but it's less painful. The main project for today is lawn mowing, then making a shepherd's pie using turkey and a matzah-kugel topping. I have a little bok choy left, not enough for another stir-fry, and may just add it to the turkey mixture.

MobyDictionary.jpg.3ac725146b9cc1fb5489acc51ce65641.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 2