The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 19th, 2024

Good morning. I walked the dogs very early as soon as it was daylight. They do enjoy their walks and it was very quiet in the neighborhood. Today it will be in the high eighties with increasing numbers in the next few days.  @kazu, Jacqui, I am also taking them to the groomers later and they will be happy to have less fur.

Our teenager wanted Mac and cheese with BBQ chicken for Juneteenth and I did get the groceries yesterday for that. He has started a summer job at one of the many restaurants on our main drag and was exhausted after his first weekend. There are a grand total of 19 bars and restaurants in our area within a mile and a half of each other. He and his girlfriend have a job at one of the bigger places and seem to like it. I did that work during college and have a life long respect for servers and the difficulties of the job. He was worried last night about dropping a big tray …..I told him that it was a valid worry because it does happen! As Maureen said recently, @RMLincoln, “ nobody died or went to jail”.

i have only been to Dutch Harbor with the various captains of “Deadliest Catch” but would love to see it in actuality. I love the recipe but fight with the phyllo dough when I make it. It is such a pain to make that I only do it for special occasions.

Wishing a very Happy Birthday to @SusieKIslandGirl’s DH!

• Like 34

14 minutes ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

It is going to be another really hot one here with highs in the mid 90s.  It is already 79F.  Thanks to my new best friend from the HVAC company, we will be comfortable.  If he hadn't been able to fix it our plan was to go to the mall and sit outside Barnes and Noble and drink coffee all day.  We could get up every now and then and walk a lap or two.  I suppose for variety's sake we could have sat in the food court for awhile.  Great idea @0106 Tina about the movies.  

Nothing on the agenda today after the gym.  Just staying cool.  

@SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday to your DH!

Birthdaymen.jpg.9c109f47aec418f31d97a544f5417dce.jpg

@StLouisCruisers I hope you start to feel better soon.  This is a lousy time to be sick!  

@Cruzin Terri  I hope you are feeling better as well!

Today's meal sounds really good.  I've never had it, but I sure would be willing to try it!  I think I'd like someone else to make it, though.  Spanakopita

spinachfetapie1.thumb.jpg.cf051e0223c6cac0be016c98af9b1190.jpg

This next recipe adds in sundried tomatoes to the spinach mixture.  Sounds good to me, but probably not authentic.  Greek Spinach Pie

spinachfetapie2.thumb.jpg.02b82c6fdad57377caa9557a467c7044.jpg

And here's one with slightly different seasonings.  Spinach and Feta Pie

spinachfetapie3.thumb.jpeg.381813754b791273a6fa500de3505bc6.jpeg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

My mouth is watering especially with the last photo, DW could have made it.

• Like 22

Good morning! There was a misunderstanding and the cleaning lady will be here today. So I’m awaiting for her arrival before going for my walk. We have finished our taxes and our original estimate was pretty much spot on, so check off another catch up item.

Willie Mays what a great athlete. He lived a long life. RIP Mr. Mays.

i like spinach but a spinach pie does not sound very appetizing so will hold on that. Sue has a dental exam this morning and I’ll be having an optometry exam Friday. The following week I have many appointments.

Currently 80 F and later will reach a high of 90.

So that’s about all here. Diet continues so nothing really noteworthy going on at our home. Prayers for those in need and as always thanks to those who make the Daily special. Bruce

• Like 31

Posted (edited)

Forecast today is slightly better than feared, only 92!  Family is en route so it’s last of the prepping today. I’m excited they’re coming, DH’s son and his wife!  It’s great living closer to family!  

I am just sickened reading about the South Fork Fire in the charming mountain town of Ruidoso NM. Over 1,400 structures reported lost yesterday, and that’s not the village yet, unclear if they can save it!  I’d often get to their annual EMS (Emergency Medical Services) conference, a very big to-do with 1,000 attendees, presenters from all over the country… EMTs from our fire department would often go together, rent a condo, attend pre-conference classes for our licensing credits. It was such a friendly town to host it, we loved their conference!  My heart goes out to them!  Prayers they and the firefighters pouring in from all directions can stay safe (one death reported yesterday). It’ll be a very long, dangerous and heartbreaking fight! My BBF who just bought a house in Maryland but hasn’t moved yet will be working in one of the evacuation centers. I guess Fire vulnerability is one reason I don’t live where we lived anymore…. which was in the northern N.M. mountains but also very vulnerable to a disaster such as this. (Our worst fire we worked there consumed 41,000 acres the first night, over an acre a second. Horrible. Friends lost homes but they worked the fire!) I know many of you deal with disasters … hurricanes, floods, tornados… so I think you understand. That’s where my heart is right now! 😓

pictures from yesterday viewed from the evacuation route. Been there done that. SO glad I’m safe but still overwhelmed. 

IMG_2520.jpeg.356f5ff403757a63d36f6515349e97cc.jpegIMG_2521.jpeg.b4d1a2a12c63f4a9a7affa3e6c3a3d3c.jpeg

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 24

Happy Juneteenth and Hump Day.  Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I’ll celebrate all 4 of today’s days including Juneteenth, BSD is a Unix like operating system .

I like Lucas’ quote..

I’ve visited Dutch Harbor a few times, 2010 on the ferry Tustemena, 2013 on Crystal Symphony, and 2016 on Crystal Serenity.  I have not been on a BHB but almost as it was on the 2017 Amsterdam Grand Asia itinerary but canceled due to the weather, making 11 consecutive sea days from San Diego to Japan.

A great day in British  history,.

I’ll pass on the meal.  I didn’t post the day after my procedure so my alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Prime Rib of Beef Au Jus, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam June 15, 2015..

It will be hot today and getting hotter for the rest of the week.  I have done most of my day’s outing for the day but will need to go out VERY briefly early this afternoon, otherwise enjoying the air conditioning for the rest of the day,

I don't remember seeing anything today from @Cruzin Terri so I hope she's sleeping very well.  Happy Birthday Loren.

Roy

• Like 34

The main celebration of Juneteenth here is always on the weekend, so it has always taken place. One day a year for the elimination of sexual violence is not enough. I believe that National BSD Day refers to the FreeBSD operating system.

I like spinach feta pie but can only eat small amounts of it. The flavors in a Gimlet are appealing but I don't enjoy almost straight gin. The largest biodynamic winery in the Finger Lakes, Hermann J. Wiemer, is Demeter-certified. Its SSV Farm Red, $26, would be considered a Bordeaux blend if it didn't contain Saperavi along with Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Petit Verdot.

My only interaction with police officers in London wasn't with the Metropolitan Police, but with two officers from the West Mercia Constabulary who happened to be nearby when I fell in front of the Royal Festival Hall. They were in London because a case they had investigated was being appealed to the House of Lords. They weren't there to testify: as with the U.S. Supreme Court, appeals in the House of Lords deal only with issues of law, not of fact. Their role was to observe and report back to the victims.

It was 77° when I got up and will reach 92°. Even the cats, who generally act like furry heat-seeking missiles, think that it is too warm.

coffeegroundscompost.jpg.4ff2e398e8209125df78119b5daa1407.jpg

• Like 20
  • Haha 17

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and all of your contributions to it.  It’s going to be another hot one here today, thankfully it didn’t get really hot yesterday until after I got home from the dentist with my temporary crown.

Happy Juneteenth and the end of slavery in Texas.  I haven’t seen Garfield in a long time. I hope that there is an end to sexual violence.  Don’t know what the other day is all about.

The quote leaves me baffled.

Both the meal and the drink sound like a nice light meal for a hot day.

I haven’t been to today’s port, it looks kind of desolate.

Praying for those on our prayer list.  I hope our friend @StLouisCruisers feels better soon and can enjoy an agreeable dinner this evening.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Happy Juneteenth; a great day to celebrate.  Love Garfield; I see him in the comics section of our newspaper every day.  Sexual violence should be condemned and the perpetrators put behind bars for a long, long time.  I understand BSD is a computer operating system, but I hadn't heard of it before.

Another cool, cloudy morning out there for us; right now we're only 1 degree warmer than where @StLouisCruisers is, with a temp of +7C (44F).  Looking at the forecast, the clouds will be hanging around all day and we're only expecting a high of 17(62), so no A/C needed here.  Speaking of that, as a child I don't recall anyone having air conditioning in their homes.  Or cars.  I remember having a couple of small fans - one in the kitchen and the other in the living room, but that's all.  My brother and I slept upstairs in a 2 storey house and we always had all the windows open during the summer.  

@SusieKIslandGirlplease wish Loren a very Happy Birthday with many more healthy and happy returns of the day!

@grapau27 the "restaurant" you frequent certainly has some nice desserts!  And main courses, too.

A few things on our agenda today - this morning I have to take DH across the city to get a follow-up echo-cardiogram, then at 1 I have to get my nails done; they're getting too long and I definitely need a gel fill.  I won't be able to drive DH to his weekly coffee date with his bandmates, so one of the guys will come over and pick him up.  I'll stop by after my nail appointment and bring him home.

I'm not sure about drinking straight gin with a hint of lime, but hey, I'll try anything once!  The wine sounds nice, as I do like some of the Chilean reds, but oh, the price is somewhat off-putting.  Spinach pie does sound like spanakopita, something I haven't made in years, a delicious dish.  DH said he's "cooking" dinner again tonight, so we'll be enjoying roast beef sandwiches from Tim Horton's at the table on the deck this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in crisis, in grief, and in the paths of the horrifying fires in NM.  For those under the heat dome, try to stay cool and hydrate!  Cheers to all with celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, or what is left of it.  

I was up earlier and then went back to bed.

Had breakfast and then tested for Covid and am happy to report that the test was NEGATIVE.

While I am not feeling great, at least I am over the worst of it.  I feel very tired and will try to rest as much as I can.

Thank you all for your concern and prayers.

Terri

• Like 27
  • Thanks 7

As I indicated before I have been to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska 3 times.  The area is actually two islands connected by a short bridge.

My first visit was in 2007 (not 2010 as I said earlier).  It was on the Alaska Ferry Tustumena, leaving from Homer, turning around in Dutch Harbor, and returning as far as Kodiak.

IMG_0239.thumb.JPG.5273320f387b5f639b7c0b39feb4e2f0.JPG

We had several hours in Dutch Harbor and there was one lady with a van giving tours.  I got off in time to have a space on the van.  We went across the bridge to Unalaska and saw the main church there which is Russian Orthodox.  

IMG_0254.thumb.JPG.7144d06ea59bdc0a877c2d5ea8621429.JPG

Dutch Harbor was quickly fortified in WW2, and we did stop at one of the bunkers.

IMG_0258.thumb.JPG.0eb684c3cd22d4b3cf8a6d2d5c2a07d5.JPG

My second visit was on the Crystal Symphony in 2013 on a transPacific from Kobe, Japan to Vancouver.  It was a Sunday and I was able to get a taxi in time to run me over to Unalaska and the United Methodist Church.

unalaskamethodist.jpg

After the service I briefly checked out the school.

unalaskaschool.jpg

Of course I had to check out the Fire Department:

unalaskafire.jpg

Eagles abound there and this one landed fairly close to me.

1eagle.jpg

The walk back is a bit dusty and goes around the end of the airport runway.  There’s a visitor center at the airport terminal.  At some point I passed the fishing fleet.

fishfleet.jpg

My third visit was in 2016 on the Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage cruise from Seward to New York.  One of the sights is an old WW2 shipyard where there is almost always an eagle on one of the roof peaks.  

ww2shipyard.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 9

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Juneteenth! Garfield is fun. Sexual violence should be eliminated. I had not heard of BSD. A surprising quote from George Lucas. The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and wine ($$$). I haven't been to Dutch Harbor. A good day in London's history. 

It's already 82F here, but won't get quite as hot as yesterday due to some cloud cover; low 90's. I was sore last night after my PT session, so I took some ibuprofen before bed. I'm heading to a big box store to pick up a few things for BFF, then heading to his house. I have some things from here to take along, so I'll use an insulated bag with some cold packs for that.

@SusieKIslandGirl Happy Birthday to your DH Loren!

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear that your stomach is upset. 

@Heartgrove I've had both those issues. My undersink water filter leaked all over, and I looked online and it was suggested to check the water pressure. I got a gauge and mine was in the 70's. Then one month I had a more than double water bill, and had 2 toilets that needed new innards. Always something with home ownership.

@GTVCRUISER I didn't know it was also nation martini day.

@kazu Hoping you are having less pain today.

@Sir PMP Thanks for the photos.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Interesting story about Dutch Harbor. Nice pictures from a distance.

@marshhawk Good luck with taking the kittens to the vet! 

@smitty34877 Good for the teenager and his GF getting jobs. Service jobs are hard. I worked on the boardwalk in a small restaurant, the summers after my jr and sr years in high school. I had to go out and get good shoes after the first week.

@RMLincoln Enjoy the family's visit. It is so awful to see the fires in CA, NM and elsewhere.

@Cruzin Terri I'm glad you feel you're over the worst of it, but it will take a while for your energy to improve.

@rafinmd Thanks for the photos of Dutch Harbor/Unalaska. 

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to those Celebrating.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

From Wikipedia

BSD began life as a variant of Unix that programmers at the University of California at Berkeley, initially led by Bill Joy, began developing in the late 1970s. It included extra features, which were intertwined with code owned by AT&T.

Several operating systems are based on BSD, including FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, MidnightBSD, MirOS BSD, GhostBSD, Darwin and DragonFly BSD. Both NetBSD and FreeBSD were created in 1993. They were initially derived from 386BSD (also known as "Jolix"), and merged the 4.4BSD-Lite source code in 1994. OpenBSD was forked from NetBSD in 1995, and DragonFly BSD was forked from FreeBSD in 2003.
BSD was also used as the basis for several proprietary versions of Unix, such as Sun's SunOS, Sequent's DYNIX, NeXT's NeXTSTEP, DEC's Ultrix and OSF/1 AXP (now Tru64 UNIX). NeXTSTEP later became the foundation for Apple Inc.'s macOS.

Linux is a close cousin.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 14

Good morning all!
It's a beautiful morning here, and a string of sunny days is in the forecast.  Mid 70's today, up to the high 70's Thursday-Saturday.

When DD and DS were small I had a Garfield cake pan I used for a few of their birthday cakes.  

I'll pass on the meal and wine but would like to try the drink.  Dutch Harbor is on the itinerary for our cruise next summer.  This year's cruise was just there and reports are that there's one local transport-type shuttle for $50/pp (!) to take you a few miles....and no HAL excursions. Looks like our day there will be just to wander around on our own.  Thank you Roy @rafinmd for the great photos!

I think I'm over that flu-type whatever it was I had, thankfully it was short and mild.  You can take me off the care list Vanessa @JazzyV and thank you. 🙂  

We have a few things to get done here today, both inside and out.  

Happy 76th Birthday to @SusieKIslandGirl's DH!

@Cruzin Terri  Yay on the negative test!  I hope you feel much better soon.

• Like 27

Good morning. Cooler and pleasant here with high's today predicted in the low 80's. We have a light cloud cover and possible showers are predicted for tonight with heavier rains arriving Thursday night. We shall see. I would love to be able to turn the sprinkler system off for awhile.

Have not been to the port of the day .... maybe some day.

Am watching the awful fires in New Mexico. I did a lot of archaeological work in that area back in my (much) younger days. It was so beautiful and I always loved Ruidoso.

Since I commented about little excitement here, Mother Nature evidently heard me and our mountain lions are back. We have several that evidently have a circuit they follow that includes the hill adjacent to my condo. I did not see them, but my neighbors did and called to warn me about taking the dogs out. Two of them.... probably a Mother and yearling son or daughter. I would rather deal with the bears.

Better get to work .... I need to put some gas in my car and run a couple of short errands. It is cool enough the dogs will enjoy a car ride.

Susan

• Like 28

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Forecast today is slightly better than feared, only 92!  Family is en route so it’s last of the prepping today. I’m excited they’re coming, DH’s son and his wife!  It’s great living closer to family!  

I am just sickened reading about the South Fork Fire in the charming mountain town of Ruidoso NM. Over 1,400 structures reported lost yesterday, and that’s not the village yet, unclear if they can save it!  I’d often get to their annual EMS (Emergency Medical Services) conference, a very big to-do with 1,000 attendees, presenters from all over the country… EMTs from our fire department would often go together, rent a condo, attend pre-conference classes for our licensing credits. It was such a friendly town to host it, we loved their conference!  My heart goes out to them!  Prayers they and the firefighters pouring in from all directions can stay safe (one death reported yesterday). It’ll be a very long, dangerous and heartbreaking fight! My BBF who just bought a house in Maryland but hasn’t moved yet will be working in one of the evacuation centers. I guess Fire vulnerability is one reason I don’t live where we lived anymore…. which was in the northern N.M. mountains but also very vulnerable to a disaster such as this. (Our worst fire we worked there consumed 41,000 acres the first night, over an acre a second. Horrible. Friends lost homes but they worked the fire!) I know many of you deal with disasters … hurricanes, floods, tornados… so I think you understand. That’s where my heart is right now! 😓

pictures from yesterday viewed from the evacuation route. Been there done that. SO glad I’m safe but still overwhelmed. 

IMG_2520.jpeg.356f5ff403757a63d36f6515349e97cc.jpegIMG_2521.jpeg.b4d1a2a12c63f4a9a7affa3e6c3a3d3c.jpeg

Maureen, most of us would think those fires are devastating, but for someone with ties to the area, it is tenfold worse.  I'm so sorry for those who live there.  Hugs to all.

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I’ll pass on the meal.  I didn’t post the day after my procedure so my alternative is Chilled Sour Cherry Soup, Prime Rib of Beef Au Jus, and Strawberry Sundae as served on MS Prinsendam June 15, 2015..

The spinach pie would make a nice side dish to your meal, Roy.  I would love the Sour Cherry Soup.  I used to make a great one, but have since lost the recipe.  

We grew up without AC as well.  My parents used to leave all the doors and windows open at night to cool the house.  The screen doors were shut, but the main doors were open to allow cooler air in.  One time I got up and was petrified to find the front door open.  I had just read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood and was sure someone was coming after us.  My first two cars didn't have AC in them.  I made a trip out west around the Colorado Plateau one summer in one of them.  It wasn't too bad.  I guess we were just used to it and a lot younger. 

@Cruising-along Happy to hear you are feeling better.

@Cruzin Terri Hooray on the negative COVID test.  

@Mr. Boston I hope you didn't start something with that temporary crown.  One of mine fell off last night.  I managed to get it back on and it is still on now.  I picked up some dental cement at the drug store and I'll put it back on until my dental appointment.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Today is also National Store Brought Cookie Day.  Examples are Oreos, Chips Ahoy, and, apparently, Nutter Butter is a winner on our local TV station.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 2

It’s a hot and sunny afternoon. Heat will continue through the weekend .

TT got out the kitchen door this morning and is hiding somewhere in the yard. Hopefully, he comes back at supper time tonight. 🙏🤞🐾

Stay cool 😎 

• Like 22

3 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Today is also National Store Brought Cookie Day.  Examples are Oreos, Chips Ahoy, and, apparently, Nutter Butter is a winner on our local TV station.

DH is a HUGE Nutter Butter fan. I'll let him know he has reason to celebrate today 😊

• Like 19