Sad news

Silver Spectre

Oh dear, what a very sad loss. not only for her close family, but also her Silversea "family".

We were with her and her husband for the day of the Christening of the Silver Muse on April 19. We both got wet and were chatting as we waited to get back onboard, to continue the ceremony in the Venetian Lounge. She was very happy to be there and comments once she sailed was that she thought the Muse was lovely.

Our sincere condolences to all the family.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

Sad news indeed. When I first came to the Silversea board to research and then plan our first Silversea cruise six years ago Duct Tape was very helpful. Over the years I think there have been two or three times when we were getting on a ship as she was disembarking or vice versa so never had the chance to actually meet. Our condolences to her family.

Such sad news. We cruised with DT and Joe a couple times, and enjoyed spending time with them (especially at Trivia and Name That Tune). She will definitely be missed.

Our deepest sympathies to Joe and their family.

Michele and Terry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very sad news. We cruised with her up the Amazon, and then I sat next to her on the plane home from Barbados. She was a lovely, warm and open lady who will be greatly missed. She was the only person who could carry off wearing white gloves in the pool!

Our condolences to Joe and her Silversea family.

Victoria and Bob

Very sad news, thanks for sharing Mr. and Mrs. Silver. duct tape and Mr. dt were/are treasures to the Silversea brand, Silversea board here on CC and in particular to the Silversea crew. Fair Winds and Following Seas in your new Ocean duct tape!

Sorry to learn of the passing of Susan who we first met at the Captains table on our first SS cruise in 1999.We have subsequently met many times since then and always enjoyed their company and friendship.Our thoughts are with you Joe at this sad time.RIP and thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Very sad news. I met her once in the Cloud's swimming pool, wearing her hat and gloves, and I asked her if she was prepping for the Kentucky Derby. She had an infectious laugh, and we shared the pool several times after. May she be swimming in the heavenly silver seas.

Mr. Silver, thank you for sharing this terribly sad news with the Cruise Critic and Silversea extended family.

My family was fortunate to have met and sailed with Duct Tape, and her beloved Bear, during our Norwegian voyage to Archangel, Russia. She always doted on our daughter and brought such joy to all of us whenever our paths crossed. She will be terribly missed by all who knew her. Rest in peace sweet Duct Tape.

For all those that met her and loved her contributions to these boards it is with regret that we have to announce that Duct Tape passed away yesterday.

YES, it is very saddening to read about the passing of Duct Tape. During our first cruise on the Silver Cloud in July 2010, we had a chance to meet her for the first time and be able to enjoy interacting with her and her husband during this highly-enjoyable 15-day cruise. The staff super loved her!! And, for very good reasons!! That made things better for ALL of the rest of us along during this sailing.

For our Cruise Critic group during the later part of our Norway sailing, the Captain and top staff arranged a special breakfast for us. I was fortunate to sit next to Duct Tape and the Captain. It was a super, spectacular dining experience!!! And we knew why we were fortunate to be traveling with her and reflecting the high regard for which they viewed her. Below are just a couple of pictures as samples. Those who had the privilege of knowing here can see her on the lower right side. See did not like too much attention, so I will not say which exact person. Feeling very fortunate to have known her and crossed paths so many times here on these boards. She was a "great original" who will be missed so much!!

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 214,379 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s the “group” for Cruise Critic on this Silver Cloud adventure. Captain Mino Pontillo is at the left at this special breakfast along with the Hotel Director, Cruise Director and Dining Room Manager. The other group names and identities are being protect in case anyone is in the Federal Witness Protection Program.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

CCbrkGroupPicture.jpg

Here was the Papal Benedict egg bake in a Serrano meat basket with Fontina cheese and tomato chutney.:

CCbrkPoachedEgg.jpg

Executive Chef Douglas Hope came out to take deserved bows after personally preparing part of this spectacular breakfast for our Cruise Critic group and then he answered questions. The Ship’s Captain is shown at left with one of the three tables for our group in the Le Champagne room overlooking the choppy waters as we sailed south along the Norway Coast.:

CCbrkChefExplaining.jpg

My wife and I had the pleasure of sailing with Joe and Susan on several occasions. I remember seeing Susan sitting on the pool deck folding coaster napkins as well as doing aqua aerobics. Joe and Susan were true advocates for the staff. Susan will be remembered.