Appropriate Dress on non-formal Nights

LindaMG

I asked this question on a Princess facebook page and it was removed by admin but not before a few people left me an angry face.  A couple of people did answer but would like a few more to reassure me.  I am not trying to start anything, I genuinely want to know as I want to make every minute of my cruise enjoyable and do not want to have people looking down on us because I am not in a ballgown and tiara and my husband isn't wearing a suit.  Anyway, we would like to have one meal in the MDR but not on a formal night.  We travel light and dress for comfort, not to impress.  So I would wear black trousers, a feminine pretty top and good leather ballet flats with some sparkly jewellery.  My husband, kindest, most hard working man I know (thats whats important to me, not the fact that he doesn't own a suit) would be in tidy black levis, a button down shirt with a collar and clean tidy shoes.  So will we be dragged on deck and made to walk the plank or would we pass muster?

• Like 7

Of course not.  We are elite on Princess and what you have planned is fine for Any night in the MDR other than formal.  My husband wears tan kahaki pants and a short sleeve button down shirt and casual brown shoes, and sometimes black pants with same type shirt.  You will be fine...have a cocktail and then enjoy your dinner

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LindaMG said:

I asked this question on a Princess facebook page and it was removed by admin but not before a few people left me an angry face.  A couple of people did answer but would like a few more to reassure me.  I am not trying to start anything, I genuinely want to know as I want to make every minute of my cruise enjoyable and do not want to have people looking down on us because I am not in a ballgown and tiara and my husband isn't wearing a suit.  Anyway, we would like to have one meal in the MDR but not on a formal night.  We travel light and dress for comfort, not to impress.  So I would wear black trousers, a feminine pretty top and good leather ballet flats with some sparkly jewellery.  My husband, kindest, most hard working man I know (thats whats important to me, not the fact that he doesn't own a suit) would be in tidy black levis, a button down shirt with a collar and clean tidy shoes.  So will we be dragged on deck and made to walk the plank or would we pass muster?

Unfortunately this thread will probably head the same direction as the one you mention.

And right on cue.   🙄

The dress you describe would be fine.

• Like 3

Agree that even on formal night you do not need a suit at all!

DH wears a shirt with a collar and slacks.

On non formal night he used to wear black jeans but we find them stiff to pack and we travel light so he'll wear lighter weight blue slacks these days. You don't need a dress shirt on NON formal night.

Save that for "formal night".He can wear a Hawaaian patterned shirt  or a golf shirt with a collar or anything at all like that on NON formal night.

Women can certainly wear what you describe for yourself even on formal night!

Please don't only eat 1 meal in the MDR. You do not have to bring lots of "dress up clothing!!

• Like 2

LindaMG-  what you described would be more than appropriate for non-formal nights in the traditional or anytime dining venues. Princess actually has guidelines on their website. They call them smart casual nights. I agree with the other posters try the dining room more than once for dinner,we enjoy being waited on -on “ holiday”.

Also try the dining room for lunch and breakfast as well. No dress code guidelines per se for those times. 

On our next cruise we’re actually going to try for my husband on the formal nights what everyone on this cruise critic board has been saying that you don’t need to wear a suit jacket or a tie. And my husband would definitely love to not wear a suit jacket and or tie.So we’re gonna try and see what happens . Of course I think we’re gonna have my husband take a suit jacket just in case and a tie ,but leave it in the cabin and just try out what everybody is so adamant about even though Princess has different ideas on the website. 

Enjoy.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 2

We used to pack large suitcases and many too many outfits...fast forward and now not so much. Hubby will have on long pants and a collared golf type shirt every night. I have a long black skirt and a few tops nothing fancy. We will be in the main dining room, there have not been any issues the last few years regardless of cruise line.

At the risk of being flamed big time, post dinner we change into shorts for the rest of the evening even dare I say it on formal nights! It is my precious vacation and I am going to do what makes it perfect for me! I no longer have the need to impress anyone with some fancy outfit, if it upsets someone else that is certainly not on me.

enjoy your cruise!

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, tobyt said:

post dinner we change into shorts for the rest of the evening even dare I say it on formal nights!

I usually change post-dinner - or post show if we are going directly to show after dinner.  The dress suggestions/recommendations are for the MDR's only.  Princess does not do it ship-wide like Cunard, for example.  I like to preserve my outfit to use again for the next formal night. 

The OP can also elect to dine in a specialty restaurant on a formal night as they are always Smart Casual.

• Like 2

Non-formal nights jeans are allowed which is what I usually wear with a collared shirt usually a polo shirt.  Similar for females.  

I have been on many Princess cruises and have never worn a suit on formal nights.   Dockers and a collared shirt will suffice for men.  Women wear black pants and a sparkly top (their words).  I would encourage you to rethink not going to the MDR on formal nights.  I have never felt out of place in the MDR. 

5 hours ago, LindaMG said:

You should be OK wearing that to the MDR for casual meals.

From page 17 of https://book.princess.com/images/cc/brochure/downloads/princess-cruise-answer-book.pdf

"

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear
when you’re dining on board our spectacular ships. There are
two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.
Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear
to a nice restaurant at home.
• Skirts/dresses, slacks, blouses and sweaters for women
• Pants and open-neck shirts for men
Inappropriate dinnerwear, such as pool or beach attire, shorts,
ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not
permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.
Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in
the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the
enjoyment of all our guests.
• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
• Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

"

• Like 1

Just come back from a week long Norway cruise.  We hadn't cruised with Princess for about 9 year's and despite reading lots on the cc forum about the more relaxed dress code I massively overpacked and we didn't wear most of the clothes I had taken for the evening.

On non-formal nights majority of passengers wore jeans and tops, some gym wear. Lots in thick jumper's as it was cold!   Those who wore dressier clothes were in the minority. One night whilst waiting for show to start in theatre I counted three men in shirt and tie. Most had casual shirts, Polo shirt or t-shirts with jeans or Chino's.

On the two formal nights, less than a quarter of the men were in suits and tie, and only a handful of women in long or cocktail dresses. On formal nights in  the MDR there were men in Chino's and polo shirt, most had on open neck shirts.

We like to make a bit of an effort and we don't have to worry about luggage restrictions so we did take dark suit and sparkly tops, cocktail dresses.  

I used to wear a tux on formal nights.  That required me to pack my tux, two cumberbunds, two bow ties, two ruffled shirts, studs, tie bar, and my patent shoes.  All for two evenings.  I did it in part because I no longer go to the fancy dress Hollywood events that I used to have to attend, and my tux would otherwise get no use.  

In recent years, I have left my tux in the closet.  I usually wore a suit for the formal nights.  On my last cruise, I did not take the suit out of the closet.  I threw on a sports coat for the formal nights.

You asked about non-formal nights.  Your husband's planned costume is fine.  I wear nice slacks and a polo shirt for those nights (non-formal), but only because that is what I am comfortable in.  No one has sneered at me, and if someone did, I wouldn't care.  At least, unless I was refused admission!

Let your husband be comfortable!  Enjoy.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Potstech said:

How can you be absolutely sure? Many cruises on different ships not wearing a tux or a suit coat.  We eat every formal night in the MDR.  No one will preveny you from wearing formal clothes on formal night or even try to.  That is your decision.  The so called suggestions/guidelines have not been enforced for seceral years now and are still there for some unknown reason. 

Great,  I’m not new to cruising and I’m not new to Cruising Princess ,but we always adhere to the guidelines/ rules that Princess puts out.( I.e. it’s in the Patter on formal nights)  just trying to listen to those that have not paid any attention to what the guidelines are.

For my husband that will be wonderful. He would prefer to not dress up on formal nights.So on our next cruise which is coming up very shortly we are going to try the no jacket and the no tie on formal nights. I on the other hand will be in exactly what I always wear -formal and smart casual wear on appropriate nights.

It’s just so very interesting to see the various comments on here and the only way that I’ll know for sure if it works is to try it. 

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, brisalta said:

You should be OK wearing that to the MDR for casual meals.

From page 17 of https://book.princess.com/images/cc/brochure/downloads/princess-cruise-answer-book.pdf

"

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear
when you’re dining on board our spectacular ships. There are
two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.
Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear
to a nice restaurant at home.
• Skirts/dresses, slacks, blouses and sweaters for women
• Pants and open-neck shirts for men
Inappropriate dinnerwear, such as pool or beach attire, shorts,
ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not
permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.
Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in
the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the
enjoyment of all our guests.
• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
• Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

"

If you adhere to that attire you'll have her husband wearing a suit on formal nights. 😁

Everyone knows that a suit & tie on Princess is only worn by those that want them & not a requirement. The women can wear just about anything & call it formal while on casual evenings a pair of jeans with any nice top will be fine.

My DH just goes with his jeans & a T shirt & has never been refused to be seated although occasionally he'll wear a Polo. 

I'm certain you'll enjoy your cruise, the attire you describe is completely okay, no reason to give it a second thought.  Years ago we started off in tux's & gowns, these days I don't even bother with a suit.  As some have noted my only other suggestion is that you perhaps rethink your decision to forgo dining in the MDR on a formal night.  Perhaps have a look at what others are actually wearing and make your decision from there? 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 5:18 PM, LindaMG said:

I asked this question on a Princess facebook page and it was removed by admin but not before a few people left me an angry face.  A couple of people did answer but would like a few more to reassure me.  I am not trying to start anything, I genuinely want to know as I want to make every minute of my cruise enjoyable and do not want to have people looking down on us because I am not in a ballgown and tiara and my husband isn't wearing a suit.  Anyway, we would like to have one meal in the MDR but not on a formal night.  We travel light and dress for comfort, not to impress.  So I would wear black trousers, a feminine pretty top and good leather ballet flats with some sparkly jewelry.  My husband, kindest, most hard working man I know (thats whats important to me, not the fact that he doesn't own a suit) would be in tidy black levis, a button down shirt with a collar and clean tidy shoes.  So will we be dragged on deck and made to walk the plank or would we pass muster?

What you describe is great.   Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I hate wearing a tie and refuse to wear a suit on a cruise.  I am on vacation.  If someone wants to wear a tux, more power to them.  I think its crazy.  That said I usually wear khakis and a polo or button down shirt to non-formal nights.  

We typically skip the MDR on formal nights and often go to a specialty restaurant.  I have found they are not crowded and we are seated immediately.  Sometimes we just say screw it and hit the buffet.

I don't own a suit and I just pack a sport coat for formal nights (and it doesn't stay on long.) The only time I will wear a tie on a ship is the chefs dinner.

I don't even pack jeans for a cruise unless it's somewhere cold. I spend 90% of the time in shorts and only wear slacks for dinner in the MDR.

What you describe is more than fine.