Breakfast Cereal

lachelli

Hello

Are the small individual boxes of cereals available in the buffet at breakfast. 

My kids like to snack in these during the day, so thought it might be handy to grab a couple each morning before going ashore 

Thanks 

I was on last week, it's in the dispenser, no more boxes. They always anounce no food or drink to be brought ashore. It's up to you whatever you like. But someone tried to bring sandwich, they end up left it in ziplock bag infont of my room. I guess they too imparerous to leave it infront of their room. I'm only brought my water along, which I ordered from carnival fun shop, I did checked with the staff, they said ok. We usually bring along snack for kids during flight, which is ok to bring onboard, and eat during our flight back home. 

Didn't see any cereal boxes on the Conquest 8/24 to 8/31 sailing that we just disembarked from - only the crank bulk dispensers.  You can try putting some cereal in a zip lock and smuggle off the ship, but I wouldn't recommend it.  If you get caught and fined, it's really not worth it.  Bad example as well. Better to bring your own boxes from home and keep them sealed until you get on land in a port.

Or, bring some of the small yogurt containers if your kids will eat them for a snack.  Enjoy your cruise.

3 hours ago, evandbob said:

Didn't see any cereal boxes on the Conquest 8/24 to 8/31 sailing that we just disembarked from - only the crank bulk dispensers.  You can try putting some cereal in a zip lock and smuggle off the ship, but I wouldn't recommend it.  If you get caught and fined, it's really not worth it.  Bad example as well. Better to bring your own boxes from home and keep them sealed until you get on land in a port.

Or, bring some of the small yogurt containers if your kids will eat them for a snack.  Enjoy your cruise.

I can confirm, there were no boxes in the buffet on the Pride last week. Only the cereal dispensers.

Agree with the advice above, only bring pre-sealed completely packaged snacks off the ship.

it would be easiest to just bring your own little boxes.

After the judge came back with her decision during their illegal dumping court case a few months ago, they announced they were eliminating several single-serve items on board. These cereal boxes were one of the items that got the axe, most likely because of the plastic bags inside. Very disappointing because they made easy, convenient snacks for the cabin. I'd grab one during breakfast and have one for a late-night snack or take on shore with us.

14 hours ago, evandbob said:

You can try putting some cereal in a zip lock and smuggle off the ship, but I wouldn't recommend it.  If you get caught and fined, it's really not worth it.  Bad example as well. Better to bring your own boxes from home and keep them sealed until you get on land in a port.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's a bad example. I mean, it's not our fault that they eliminated the single-service boxes. And those were something we were definitely allowed to take off the ship. I'm not saying do it. Rules are rules and I do encourage following the rules, but I won't look down on someone who might do this since it's something we've been able to do for so long. Especially those with little kids. It made for a very easy snack to take along without having to pack other things. When it comes to certain rules being broken on a cruise, I'd say there's many other things to be more concerned about than taking a baggie of cereal off the ship. Alas, I agree that the best way now is to probably bring your own, but it still stinks.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Can get The boxes of cereal from room service.

Got them on the days we left the ship for the kids to take as snacked. 

Good to know!

We loved getting a few boxes of the Granola to snack on back at the room.
Although I will admit I once took a box of the corn flakes ashore to feed fish while snorkeling, on a suggestion I received from someone.
That went about as well as you would expect and I haven't repeated that mistake.

14 hours ago, coevan said:

I have literally seen people grab 10 boxes at once. Probably had a nice pantry full when they got home, disgusting. 

That's a bit much.
We would grab maybe 3 or 4, and use those as a tasty snack in our room later in the day. However we never took more than what we were going to use.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:17 PM, cruizergal70 said:

Yes, they are.

No, they are not in a box anymore, but rather in a dispenser.

On 8/31/2019 at 6:54 PM, canes20 said:

I think they are gone now and cereal is in dispenser. Surely someone will answer that just finished a cruise. We still have 28 days o go.

On 8/31/2019 at 7:04 PM, Fatcat604 said:

I was on last week, it's in the dispenser, no more boxes. They always anounce no food or drink to be brought ashore. It's up to you whatever you like. But someone tried to bring sandwich, they end up left it in ziplock bag infont of my room. I guess they too imparerous to leave it infront of their room. I'm only brought my water along, which I ordered from carnival fun shop, I did checked with the staff, they said ok. We usually bring along snack for kids during flight, which is ok to bring onboard, and eat during our flight back home. 

On 8/31/2019 at 7:17 PM, 1025cruise said:

Cereal boxes were ok to take off. Now that they went to a dispenser, probably not.

Sealed food packages are normally allowed.

All Correct ^

On 8/31/2019 at 8:47 PM, coevan said:

I have literally seen people grab 10 boxes at once. Probably had a nice pantry full when they got home, disgusting. 

Don't be so quick to judge.  I sail with a large family, including three kids/teens.   The teens especially tend to sleep late, after having been up late at camp.  I frequently go up and grab boxes for all of them....which ends up being many boxes...10 doesn't sound unusual for me at all.   Sometimes we also take it off to eat at the beach.   That's their breakfast (and sometimes lunch, since they're often too picky to eat at the port).    We paid for it.   On a typical morning, they eat zero food from the buffet...no massive piles of bacon and other food left behind like many adults.  No waste at all....Just cereal - which they eat the same day we get it.    So yeah, I'm going to take as much of it as I like.

On 8/31/2019 at 11:47 PM, Stick93 said:

Can get The boxes of cereal from room service.

Got them on the days we left the ship for the kids to take as snacked. 

I'm so glad to hear this idea.   As noted above...my kids love the cereal, and it's going to be tough for me to manage multiple bowls.  I hadn't thought of room service as the perfect "to go" option!  (Normally I would just grab them since I'm always up on Lido anyway getting my morning Diet Coke on the Bubbles package).

• Like 2

I cruise on Horizon in a couple of weeks...I wonder what they have in the Family Harbor lounge?   Hoping for boxes....they are such a convenience for us.  I totally understand the switch to dispensers...it just doesn't work as well with the way my kids eat!

6 hours ago, Domergirl said:

I cruise on Horizon in a couple of weeks...I wonder what they have in the Family Harbor lounge?   Hoping for boxes....they are such a convenience for us.  I totally understand the switch to dispensers...it just doesn't work as well with the way my kids eat!

I cannot imagine they would have independent rules by ship, but let us know after you cruise what you encountered.

I'm one of those who is "guilty" of taking 2-3 boxes of cereal off the ship and munching during excursions.  I honestly don't understand why we can't bring some baggies and fill them up and bring them ashore.  Is it because  of the plastic? If CCL is doing away with boxes of cereal for environmental reasons, that is all for the good. I just don't understand what the problem is bringing some cereal ashore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are talking about Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes, not fruit or meats and cheese and I don't see the problem.....???? 

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

I'm one of those who is "guilty" of taking 2-3 boxes of cereal off the ship and munching during excursions.  I honestly don't understand why we can't bring some baggies and fill them up and bring them ashore.  Is it because  of the plastic? If CCL is doing away with boxes of cereal for environmental reasons, that is all for the good. I just don't understand what the problem is bringing some cereal ashore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are talking about Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes, not fruit or meats and cheese and I don't see the problem.....???? 

It's the laws of the country you're visiting. I've seen dogs at several ports - not looking for drugs as much as food. Usually a large trash can filled with fruit/sandwiches and other forbidden foods. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but if there are any bad things on the food it can decimate a crop. Think Mediterranean Fruit Fly. The fines can be large. 

What a poor role model for children - shows them that rules don't apply to them. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Domergirl said:

10 doesn't sound unusual for me at all.   Sometimes we also take it off to eat at the beach ...   We paid for it. 

Well no, not really.  I don't recall "shore snacks" ever being part of the package.  I kind of thought food on the ship was intended for consumption on the ship.  I guess that's just me.

Edited by ParrotRob
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I cannot imagine they would have independent rules by ship, but let us know after you cruise what you encountered.

Agreed - and I know the move to dispensers was fleet-wide.  Someone mentioned above that the continental breakfast on Ocean Plaza still used the boxes, however...so I was wondering if the "satellite" breakfast locations, off of Lido, perhaps still relied on the boxes?   I'd imagine that since the Family Harbor lounge is fairly dedicated to food service, it will have the dispensers...but I'll be interested to see. 

2 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Well no, not really.  I don't recall "shore snacks" ever being part of the package.  I kind of thought food on the ship was intended for consumption on the ship.  I guess that's just me.

My comment was intended in defense of the statement that those taking multiple boxes were "disgusting" and stocking their cabinets at home.   However, while not specifically included, I'm fine allowing a child to bring a box of cereal ashore.  Especially since packaged, sealed foods are allowed.  I've even had Carnival staff recommend it, when my children were much younger (though they were simply being helpful, not speaking on behalf of the cruise line).   

Parents who sail with small kids know how convenient these little boxes were!

9 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

The intent of the program is totally ecology based, paper reduction. 

On 9/1/2019 at 10:10 AM, Organized Chaos said:

I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's a bad example. I mean, it's not our fault that they eliminated the single-service boxes. And those were something we were definitely allowed to take off the ship. I'm not saying do it. Rules are rules and I do encourage following the rules, but I won't look down on someone who might do this since it's something we've been able to do for so long. Especially those with little kids. It made for a very easy snack to take along without having to pack other things. When it comes to certain rules being broken on a cruise, I'd say there's many other things to be more concerned about than taking a baggie of cereal off the ship. Alas, I agree that the best way now is to probably bring your own, but it still stinks.

It's more than a rule, it's a law of the country being visited. 

• Like 1