Grandeur Sold

1 hour ago, OACAggie said:

I didn't know Enchantment was in Baltimore before. When was that?

In the 2010-2012 timeframe.  We were on EN to Bermuda the summer of 2011 and to the Bahamas in March 2012.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

Enchantment was our first cruise ship back in 2011.  We were on her three times and have been on Grandeur for five cruises.  A few comparisons...

Enchantment's pool deck is awesome, with two main pools and more deck space than many of the larger ships.  The kid splash zone is primitive compared to newer ships, but enjoyable for small ones.  Enchantment has Boleros, which is used like a mini-Music Hall sometimes and is laid out better than some other Boleros venues, in that you can see the stage from every seat. 

Grandeur was amped up better than Enchantment during their last major drydock, adding two specialty restaurants, a larger CL and the fabulous DL on deck 6 aft. 

Enchantment has one feature that I do not miss.  She is subject to bad pitching during heavy seas.  You can really feel a long, deep pull that can force you to grab something to hold on, especially when near the bow.  I presume this is a result of the 73-foot extension added in 2005.  I only experienced this when in the North Atlantic. 

We have our final Grandeur 12 Nighter scheduled for January 2021.  Sorry to see her go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Grandeur is going to Pullmantur spring 2021

Enchantment will replace her.

As the Royal Caribbean® fleet continues to evolve, and new destinations emerge, opportunities arise to share our fleet favorites with other brands. In spring 2021, Grandeur of the Seas® will leave Royal Caribbean and will join our sister brand, Pullmantur Cruises. During her 23 years with Royal Caribbean, Grandeur has sailed a variety of European and Caribbean itineraries and most recently found a comfortable home in the Northeast, departing year-round from her homeport of Baltimore, Maryland.

With this departure brings an exciting announcement that we're confident will receive a warm welcome from the market. A fan favorite, Enchantment of the Seas®, will return to Baltimore to replace Grandeur in spring of 2021. Both Vision Class vessels, Enchantment is the slightly larger sister who offers even bolder vacation options. With her, you'll experience great amenities like extra pools and whirlpools, a Diamond Club, and for the adventure junkies, a bungee trampoline! Plus, enjoy some of our cherished dining options, like Park Café, Windjammer Café, Chops Grille, and Chef's Table.

Opening for sale later this year, be sure to check-out Enchantment of the Seas' exciting new itineraries setting sail year-round from Baltimore beginning spring 2021.

Delighted to get the Enchantment back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Defender1158 said:

Enchantment was our first cruise ship back in 2011.  We were on her three times and have been on Grandeur for five cruises.  A few comparisons...

Enchantment's pool deck is awesome, with two main pools and more deck space than many of the larger ships.  The kid splash zone is primitive compared to newer ships, but enjoyable for small ones.  Enchantment has Boleros, which is used like a mini-Music Hall sometimes and is laid out better than some other Boleros venues, in that you can see the stage from every seat. 

Grandeur was amped up better than Enchantment during their last major drydock, adding two specialty restaurants, a larger CL and the fabulous DL on deck 6 aft. 

Enchantment has one feature that I do not miss.  She is subject to bad pitching during heavy seas.  You can really feel a long, deep pull that can force you to grab something to hold on, especially when near the bow.  I presume this is a result of the 73-foot extension added in 2005.  I only experienced this when in the North Atlantic. 

We have our final Grandeur 12 Nighter scheduled for January 2021.  Sorry to see her go. 

Yes, a longer length to width ratio can make a ship move more esp side to side.

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Evolution. 

I understand the concept.

Cram as many people on a ship as possible and you make more money.

I hope they are done selling and leave Vision/Rhapsody in the fleet for awhile.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

Yeah....if RCL does away with their smaller ships, we're leaving too.

• Like 4

I have four more cruises left on Grandeur to be enjoyed. Great ship.

I have sailed Enchantment twice; once out of Baltimore in 2013, its final year.

Windjammer and theater are more crowded; no expansions to either.

If only the top Diamond Club is used, it will be massively overcrowded with the volume of repeat cruisers on Grandeur. On a particularly busy 12-day, the concierge told me there were about 500 D and D+ on the cruise. Grandeur uses the entire South Pacific lounge for the 4:30 to 8:00 gathering.

I liked the pool deck and Boleros on Enchantment. A decent replacement, however. . .

with the recurring propulsion problems EN is having, she could never complete the terrific 12-day itineraries that go as far south as Barbados. The Bahamas and Cuckoo Cay get real old, real fast. The itineraries offered will indicate propulsion confidence, though itineraries have certainly been changed before.

2 hours ago, OACAggie said:

Last sailing is March 26, 2021 I heard.

Just checked RCCL website, for the Grandeur there is an 8 day to the Bahamas stopping in Charleston leaving April 15, 2021.  Enchantment schedule shows last cruise available out of San Juan will be disembarking on April 17, 2021.

32 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

Would be nice, but I think they don't want that market for the RCI brand.

29 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

True, though Base Cruise cost is cheaper by over 1/2 then was 30yrs ago. This not even taking Inflation into it. Any ship can feel crowded. People forget there is more public per person Square feet on ships built in last 20-25yrs then in past. Back in 90's was a selling point back. Older Ships, 20-25 sq ft. new Vision Class think in 30's, Voyager Class 40's. Not sure what Oasis Class has, want say is 50sq... All that being said, I prefer Radiance Class almost exclusive, also doing 35nites on Vision next yr, last time was on that Class was 17-22yrs ago.

I was booked on the 4/15/21 sailing.  My agent called RCI and was told March 26 is the final Grandeur sailing.  They moved me to the new final cruise, with my fare protected and with my original OBC.  Same cabin too.

• Like 2

We sailed twice and have 1 more on Lady G.

I liked he a lot. However I am interested in a gym and it looks so much better on Enchantment. I wonder how is Dl on her. I liked overflow to South Pacific lounge on Lady G. Gave some additional space to us.

image.thumb.png.72332a2b548d357154f89944f0f4f5dd.png

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'd guess Enchantment will stay status quo until her next drydock. Adding venues takes time. 

Not sure she'll get much. Splendour and Legend went about a year apart. With this announcement, I think Enchantments' days in the RCI fleet are numbered.

Hi, 

This makes me feel old. I remember when the Vision class ships were new. I still have the inaugural books that were published when these ships first entered service. These are sleek and attractive ships. At least people have an opportunity to sail on the Grandeur before she leaves Royal Caribbean.

I'm surprised that the Grandeur is being transferred to Pullmantur instead of the Majesty (especially considering that Pullmantur operates both of the Majesty's sisters). I wonder if Royal Caribbean has other plans for the Majesty?

Chuck

DH & I have loved our times on Grandeur. I remember the first time we saw her. We were on a Celebrity ship in Bermuda. I don’t remember which one. DH and I heard Grandeur was docked at another port there and we went to see her, because at that time she was the latest, greatest. We were amazed and speculated what it would be like to cruise on a ship that big! 
By the time we cruised on Lady G we had been on Freedom 4 times so she seemed small, but we had the most amazing, fun experiences on her!

Edited to add: DH just reminded me that we were on Celebrity Zenith..

Edited by MalteseMama2
Add information

28 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

True, though Base Cruise cost is cheaper by over 1/2 then was 30yrs ago. This not even taking Inflation into it. Any ship can feel crowded. People forget there is more public per person Square feet on ships built in last 20-25yrs then in past. Back in 90's was a selling point back. Older Ships, 20-25 sq ft. new Vision Class think in 30's, Voyager Class 40's. Not sure what Oasis Class has, want say is 50sq... All that being said, I prefer Radiance Class almost exclusive, also doing 35nites on Vision next yr, last time was on that Class was 17-22yrs ago.

The public space on smaller ships is useful. On Oasis class much of the public space is just space. The ice rink and aqua theater are used a few times per cruise. The promenade, boardwalk, and central park are basically just walk ways to get to something useful. 

Just now, Beachammo said:

The public space on smaller ships is useful. On Oasis class much of the public space is just space. The ice rink and aqua theater are used a few times per cruise. The promenade, boardwalk, and central park are basically just walk ways to get to something useful. 

Well said. Oasis Class loved by my Kids/Grands, just isn't my thing...