muster drill video?

39august

I hope that they have done away with it! IMHO it made a mockery of something that needs to be taken seriously, and in some venues where we've had muster drill, like the MDR for example, the screen couldn't even be viewed by some passengers.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 3

We left the Constellation on October 30th after a B2B2B.   The muster drills for the first and third leg didn't use the "spy video."  

The ship overnighted on the turnaround day in Venice (passengers boarding boarded on October 10th but the ship left October 11th).  So there were three published muster drill options to choose from.  We selected the 8 PM on October 10th drill.  It was held in one of the conference rooms and the "spy video" was shown.  I was seated by a passenger who had primarily cruised with Royal and she thought it was clever.  Different opinions....

25 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

Half the time you couldn't even see it anyway, for people standing in front of you in some of the crowded locations they chose for the muster drill.

In the case of an emergency, those locations will seem even more crowded because panic will also be there.

On 11/12/2019 at 6:14 PM, Northern Aurora said:

I was seated by a passenger who had primarily cruised with Royal and she thought it was clever.

Interesting, because on the Allure of the Seas B2B we took starting October 20, we had to sit through the exact same video twice. Exactly the same--except they replaced "Celebrity" in the dialogue with "Royal Caribbean."

It was very disappointing because I had hoped the stupid thing was just a Celebrity attempt at clever. Glad to hear it seems to be going away. We sail a Royal/Celeb B2B in March/April. I hope it will be consigned to the garbage heap of history everywhere by then!

I think Celebrity are trying to copy Air New Zealand our national airline who have a reputation for providing catchy safety videos, some of which have been great and some not so. Its an effort to draw peoples attention to an important part of travelling. By the comments on this thread it is working because where it has been shown it has been watched. Whether people liked it or not is not really the point. The point being the message

21 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

I think Celebrity are trying to copy Air New Zealand our national airline who have a reputation for providing catchy safety videos, some of which have been great and some not so. Its an effort to draw peoples attention to an important part of travelling. By the comments on this thread it is working because where it has been shown it has been watched. Whether people liked it or not is not really the point. The point being the message

I have to disagree. Since the point of it is the message, the film is so busy being cutesy, the importance of the message is buried in the farce. Often it can't even be seen because the screen isn't visable being washed out by the sun or people standing in front of it. If I hadn't been to some real muster drills, I'd not have a clue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

Often it can't even be seen because the screen isn't visable being washed out by the sun or people standing in front of it. If I hadn't been to some real muster drills, I'd not have a clue.

I went to a traditional Muster on Explorer of the Seas at the end of August. 

We were lined up on the deck below our Lifeboat. The only thing that I felt that was in bad taste was that we were led away before the Captain had finished his talk. REALLY?

However, I have since read that other musters were held inside. Because we were outside I felt that the drill had true meaning.

That video is a total waste of time as many people are in muster stations where they can't even see it!

We were on the Eclipse Oct 13th and assigned to the Photo Gallery, no seats, packed in like sardines.

One woman fainted!  Give me the old days when crew demonstrated the life jacket and we were told how to proceed in event of an emergency.   Comments above are correct.....in a real emergency, it's going to be a mess, especially for new cruisers or passengers who don't speak English very well.  Simple, straightforward explanation of the safety procedures would be much clearer.  They need to toss that stupid video!!  (ask me how I really feel about this.....😁)

• Like 1

They had the spy video on the Solstice last month. Seen it 3 or 4 times now. I like it, makes the muster drill move along faster, keeps your attention and covers all the important points.  Also, judging from the laughs in the audience, seemed to be a big hit among fellow passengers viewing it with me.

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BridgeMates said:

That video is a total waste of time as many people are in muster stations where they can't even see it!

We were on the Eclipse Oct 13th and assigned to the Photo Gallery, no seats, packed in like sardines.

One woman fainted!  Give me the old days when crew demonstrated the life jacket and we were told how to proceed in event of an emergency.   Comments above are correct.....in a real emergency, it's going to be a mess, especially for new cruisers or passengers who don't speak English very well.  Simple, straightforward explanation of the safety procedures would be much clearer.  They need to toss that stupid video!!  (ask me how I really feel about this.....😁)

We were on Reflection and also in the photo gallery. There was space for maybe 8-10 people to sit on some bench type thing. I can’t stand for long periods & so I was leaning backwards against a pedestal. The guy behind me was leaning forward on the pedestal. We got there early but it was already packed. The kicker was the guy with a sweater over his shoulders who decided to take it off & then flip it back over his shoulders - in a fully (by then) packed space. He hit me in the face with it! I was already in pain & that just set me off. Thought I was going to get thrown off the ship. 

18 minutes ago, BellKat said:

We were on Reflection and also in the photo gallery. There was space for maybe 8-10 people to sit on some bench type thing. I can’t stand for long periods & so I was leaning backwards against a pedestal. The guy behind me was leaning forward on the pedestal. We got there early but it was already packed. The kicker was the guy with a sweater over his shoulders who decided to take it off & then flip it back over his shoulders - in a fully (by then) packed space. He hit me in the face with it! I was already in pain & that just set me off. Thought I was going to get thrown off the ship. 

Way to go, BellKat!  just imagine if it had been a backpack!  We have been in the photo studio also.  Just not enough room.