P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The problem then was that there were no masks to be had, so it was convenient to say they were ineffective.  Asian countries have been using them for years.

The real protection isn’t to the wearer, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a real protection.

It would be handy if some learnt how to wear them properly and not walk about with them under their chins

or with their nose stuck out over the top of it .

Then there's the ones who because they have not fitted it properly are constantly pulling and tugging at the mask.  

By doing this, if they are infected ,their hands are now infected leaving a trail of possible infection with 

anything they touch for others to catch.

Also when out shopping where possible, employ the old saying "Look with your eyes and not your hands"

could also help to lower the infection risk.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

For some reason I didn't have you down as a Torygraph reader.😃

Can’t imagine why you’d say that, Annie. 😇

I have an online subscription, perhaps surprisingly, because I value their news content. Likewise the Times for the same reason. I just live with the Torygraph slant.

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Could be the free period is now expiring and they have been unable to secure a viable long term rent at the footfall they had been experiencing, otherwise I doubt JL would be shutting down a such a new store.

If folks buy on line, less need for high Street shops. How many supermarkets that you go in have staff telling you how to use the self checkout. In Lloyds the staff are encouraging you to use the machines to pay bills etc. Surely these staff know the are helping to do themselves out of a job. We are deciding we don't want the high street by our own actions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

It would be handy if some learnt how to wear them properly and not walk about with them under their chins

or with their nose stuck out over the top of it .

Then there's the ones who because they have not fitted it properly are constantly pulling and tugging at the mask.  

By doing this, if they are infected ,their hands are now infected leaving a trail of possible infection with 

anything they touch for others to catch.

Also when out shopping where possible, employ the old saying "Look with your eyes and not your hands"

could also help to lower the infection risk.

As I said to the person in the supermarket " do you need to pick up all the bread". But it's wrapped. 🤔

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

You have your view. We have ours. Take a look at the opinion polls for the public’s viewpoint.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

My point is that being rude and insulting demeans the message. As you say , you have your opinion, always.

Harry, you and I will never agree about Boris and his govt. but playing ping pong with our differences is becoming pointless.

I would point out that Boris's standing in most opinion polls is rarely less than 50% approval, but you would only counter with some you find supporting your position, and so it would go on.

Maybe we should all call it a day and accept that we will never agree on some political  things, and leave the ping pong to the professionals.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

The problem then was that there were no masks to be had, so it was convenient to say they were ineffective.  Asian countries have been using them for years.

The real protection isn’t to the wearer, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a real protection.

I read yesterday that some research had shown that wearing a mask does reduce your susceptibility to infection by 65%.  We've been told that wearing masks is primarily to protect others but the fact that it does offer some protection to the wearer I find reassuring.  It's clearly not the level of protection you would wish for those most at risk and front line workers, but each small action which contributes to our personal safety can only be welcomed.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

I read yesterday that some research had shown that wearing a mask does reduce your susceptibility to infection by 65%.  We've been told that wearing masks is primarily to protect others but the fact that it does offer some protection to the wearer I find reassuring.  It's clearly not the level of protection you would wish for those most at risk and front line workers, but each small action which contributes to our personal safety can only be welcomed.  

I wear a mask for work, but its funny how I now don't feel safe in shops etc without it. 

It feels like security, even if not totally effective. 

I have no problem wearing it in enclosed places. 

Andy 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

I read yesterday that some research had shown that wearing a mask does reduce your susceptibility to infection by 65%. 

That totally depends on the type of mask you are wearing,  but realistically,  for a mask available to the general public, the 65% figure is just rubbish.

Any form of face covering will stop transmission of aerosols,  so wearing a mask will protect others, should you have the virus. But that mask will  not protect you from inward infection.

My view is that the viral load is what is important. Walking past  someone in the country with a breeze blowing, no mask needed. Going into a small newsagent, wear a mask, to protect anyone else in there.   

Having said that, I live in an area with virtually no CV19 cases. Why do I need to wear a mask?

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

That totally depends on the type of mask you are wearing,  but realistically,  for a mask available to the general public, the 65% figure is just rubbish.

Any form of face covering will stop transmission of aerosols,  so wearing a mask will protect others, should you have the virus. But that mask will  not protect you from inward infection.

My view is that the viral load is what is important. Walking past  someone in the country with a breeze blowing, no mask needed. Going into a small newsagent, wear a mask, to protect anyone else in there.   

Having said that, I live in an area with virtually no CV19 cases. Why do I need to wear a mask?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8503445/Wearing-face-mask-decreases-risk-infected-coronavirus-risk-65.html

I often think about the success of Olympians, looking for the tiniest of adjustments to shave fractions of seconds off their times.  Find more factors to shave more thousands off and it all adds up. 

I'll buy into that and will take note and keep trying to trim the margins whenever anything is reported which may help.  Doing that probably has a psychological element too in that we are caught up in something over which we have virtually no control but as they say, every little helps.

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 2

Feeling a bit down this week so yesterday I took the bus to the local big shopping centre, this would take me 1 hour to walk there. Only me and the driver on the bus, wearing a mask of course (not the bus). Halfway there another regular passenger got on. she was not happy about her mask, too hot and stuffy she said. Ah!, but in winter it will be warm and cosy I replied, that cheered her up.

I was pining for a Costa coffee but not open until August so I wandered over to the large Sainsbury's. No queue to get in and the store was quiet, and this was at 10.15 on a Saturday morning. Ended up buying £10 of stuff and discovered the outside Costa was open 🙂

I am all for wearing masks as we need every little advantage we can fighting the little horrors

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Feeling a bit down this week so yesterday I took the bus to the local big shopping centre, this would take me 1 hour to walk there. Only me and the driver on the bus, wearing a mask of course (not the bus). Halfway there another regular passenger got on. she was not happy about her mask, too hot and stuffy she said. Ah!, but in winter it will be warm and cosy I replied, that cheered her up.

I was pining for a Costa coffee but not open until August so I wandered over to the large Sainsbury's. No queue to get in and the store was quiet, and this was at 10.15 on a Saturday morning. Ended up buying £10 of stuff and discovered the outside Costa was open 🙂

I am all for wearing masks as we need every little advantage we can fighting the little horrors

Well said Dave. 

Keep your chin up and make the most of what we have.

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I was at the same shopping centre, and Costa, yesterday afternoon. It did seem fairly quiet and civilised, and the one way system seems to work pretty well. There weren't many people wearing masks though which annoys my youngest daughter who has just started back at work at one of the small shops there. When she's on shift she tends to man the door, restricts numbers in store to 6 customers, explains the shop's one way system, points out the hand sanitiser etc. but she says lots of people don't bother listening  🙄

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Well the harbour is rammed with boats 5 abreast.  Youngsters abusing people in the street last night.  Police called.  Today is still manic.

That’s awful Jean. Parts of the population seems to have become feral......

• Like 5

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

I was quite encouraged that quite a lot of people were wearing masks in the town centre on friday, also pleased to see the Costa recently opened.However when I ventured inside I realised they were only doing takeaways- I had to go to the Cafe Nero opposite!!

• Like 2

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Almost nobody wearing a mask down here.  Not taking any notice of distancing either.

Same here Jean. Boris gave a lot of advice including wearing masks,  social distancing and being careful, but all the majority heard was 'pubs are open again'. Selective hearing. 

Avril 

• Like 2

We went to Dover yesterday, I was hoping to see Aurora but she’s gone on a little jolly to the Weymouth area. Disney Magic was in port though. I was also amused to see the P&O name sailing, but of course it was just the ferries! (Yes I know they have nothing to do with P&O cruises).

The White Cliffs is NT owned and unlike NT properties you don’t have to book in advance. However the website says don’t park if the car parks are full. The only charges there are for the car parking and there’s normally someone there in a little hut taking the money. (You paid via an app and free to NT members) There was no one there yesterday, I was a bit disappointed. It was quiet when we got there as we went early but getting busy when we left. I’m surprised they didn’t have the member of staff there to monitor the numbers as I could imagine people would just park all over the place.

1DAB22A4-A49D-4D9D-862D-EBE00F85B762.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

When she's on shift she tends to man the door, restricts numbers in store to 6 customers, explains the shop's one way system, points out the hand sanitiser etc. but she says lots of people don't bother listening  🙄

My grandson had that job when B&Q opened up again and he said the same. He was also sworn at too. He was glad to go back to his regular job inside but said it was just as bad. He was astounded with number of people that couldn't understand the concept of left and right. They saw what they wanted and made a bee-line for it regardless.

Avril 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Same here Jean. Boris gave a lot of advice including wearing masks,  social distancing and being careful, but all the majority heard was 'pubs are open again'. Selective hearing. 

Avril 

The 2m guidance should still be followed.. 

1m is allowed only where 2m is not possible...

But, as you say... Pubs are open... 

Andy 

• Like 3