P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you for asking Graham. 

She has just had me mowing the lawn at 8pm after a hard day's work, even though the grass is still too wet... 

So yes, normality has resumed...😊

Andy 

Pleased to hear she is fine Andy.

Graham.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

That is true. Everything has to fit the corporate mould or it gets crushed. Quite a few now use other discussion forums where open discussion on any subject is encouraged, but this was always a friendly bunch of people too. I’m surprised that any commercial enterprise would go out of its way to lose such an active group, but so be it. It would be quite easy, if there were a demand, to meet elsewhere, on another forum.

Any suggestions how this may be possible.?I suppose the powers that be may feel that a title like'How are things with you'won't sell cruises.Perhaps if we change the title to something like 'Why not book a P and O cruise?' and make sure we add the word 'cruise' several times into each post (whether relevant or not!)it might make a difference(doubt it) I do think we have got to know and supported each other through the last year and it would make me more likely to book a P and O cruise if others on this thread had also booked.Perhaps even if the thread is moved those of us who have cruises booked could join the Roll Call for our cruise and might be able to continue to chat.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you for asking Graham. 

She has just had me mowing the lawn at 8pm after a hard day's work, even though the grass is still too wet... 

So yes, normality has resumed...😊

Andy 

Glad Michelle is feeling better

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Any suggestions how this may be possible.?I suppose the powers that be may feel that a title like'How are things with you'won't sell cruises.Perhaps if we change the title to something like 'Why not book a P and O cruise?' and make sure we add the word 'cruise' several times into each post (whether relevant or not!)it might make a difference(doubt it) I do think we have got to know and supported each other through the last year and it would make me more likely to book a P and O cruise if others on this thread had also booked.Perhaps even if the thread is moved those of us who have cruises booked could join the Roll Call for our cruise and might be able to continue to chat.

Good idea Ann - a variation on a theme. There must be some way we can stay together. All is not lost yet. Jane.x

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good idea Ann - a variation on a theme. There must be some way we can stay together. All is not lost yet. Jane.x

If this thread is moved to Floataway lounge we can still keep in touch it is just more difficult to access those threads.

The quickest way is if you click on quote on a posters post and not the reply to this topic and post a reply to them and they get a notification and if someone does the same to your post you will get a notification which you can click on to get into the thread.

You can also go into my activity on your profile page then click on activity streams then content I follow.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Hope he gets to you soon, Sarah.  So long as nobody disturbs them they'll probably not bother you, though - I'm sure you'll keep your little grandson well clear!

Ours aren't causing any real problem at the moment - they're quite high up towards the roof, and I don't think there's any way in from there.  The guy who called earlier thought they might just move on somewhere more suitable to them, and the numbers have decreased (unless they're all inside somewhere!).  It's the change in the weather that's done it - ours was the second swarm he'd been called out to since lunchtime.  At least they're honey bees, so beekeepers are interested in having them.  We have a purposefully bee-friendly garden - it's the price we pay!

We had a reply this evening, £150 for the guy to come out on Tuesday. I think we’re going to see how they are in the morning. At least they aren’t the house end of the garden but the garden isn’t very big and would definitely impact our garden use over what looks like a will be a sunny weekend snd week to come.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We had a reply this evening, £150 for the guy to come out on Tuesday. I think we’re going to see how they are in the morning. At least they aren’t the house end of the garden but the garden isn’t very big and would definitely impact our garden use over what looks like a will be a sunny weekend snd week to come.

Ours have calmed down a lot, possibly even moved on as the guy said they might. We'll see what the morning brings.

Surprised at the charge - is this a beekeeper?  Normally round here they're more than happy to take a swarm away for their own use if they're honey bees.  We used this:

https://www.bbka.org.uk/swarm

Let's both keep fingers crossed they'll move on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

If this thread is moved to Floataway lounge we can still keep in touch it is just more difficult to access those threads.

The quickest way is if you click on quote on a posters post and not the reply to this topic and post a reply to them and they get a notification and if someone does the same to your post you will get a notification which you can click on to get into the thread.

You can also go into my activity on your profile page then click on activity streams then content I follow.

Graham.

Much simpler to leave it here, if it’s site rules, then perhaps the rules need to be reviewed and changed, as a number have said what harm is it doing. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Much simpler to leave it here, if it’s site rules, then perhaps the rules need to be reviewed and changed, as a number have said what harm is it doing. 

I absolutely agree.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I hope your weekend isn’t spoilt Sarah.

I was really looking forward to the long sunny weekend and John is actually off all three days as well.

However we have a hedge between a neighbour and ourselves and it’s ‘his’ side and he’s completely ruined it! 
A section of it is a different ‘bush’ and he’s done ‘something’ to it and it’s half dead. Came downstairs last weekend and found it’s sort of flopped down. On closer inspection he’s fashioned a fence type ‘thing’ in the space!! It looks absolutely awful 😡😡

I could go on but I won’t, I didn’t take my grandson out into the garden this week cos the bodge up job looks a bit flimsy and I didn’t want their dog getting through.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I hope your weekend isn’t spoilt Sarah.

I was really looking forward to the long sunny weekend and John is actually off all three days as well.

However we have a hedge between a neighbour and ourselves and it’s ‘his’ side and he’s completely ruined it! 
A section of it is a different ‘bush’ and he’s done ‘something’ to it and it’s half dead. Came downstairs last weekend and found it’s sort of flopped down. On closer inspection he’s fashioned a fence type ‘thing’ in the space!! It looks absolutely awful 😡😡

I could go on but I won’t, I didn’t take my grandson out into the garden this week cos the bodge up job looks a bit flimsy and I didn’t want their dog getting through.

Is there no way that you could do something in your garden so that it looks better on your side?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Get the old man to have a go at this.Might even get in the Guinness book of records.20210528_065757.thumb.jpg.064da514e9cfaa918bb1c59fa2abfaeb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning everyone I hope we are all ok this morning:classic_smile:

I think this thread has been enjoyable and I will be sad to see it go if it does.

It has been good and kept us in touch with life's going's on with like minded

cruising people. If we read back through the posts we find that some people

have been drawn to P&O and in turn Cruise  Critic's it's self which had to be a

good thing, didn't it ?:classic_unsure:  More recently I read on "What are things like thread" 

that some of you have been having problems with bees :classic_ohmy: Anyone who has 

got some bee's nearby could find them very good for your eye's ! 

I was once told that if a bee landed on your hand then you will find  that ...

beauty is in the eye of the bee-holder.:classic_love: !!   See this thread can be educational

as well, it has so much going for it .  Well that's my thought's for today and hope

to do the same going forward but as always you all take care and stay safe .:classic_smile:

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

I hope the bee problem and the fence problem can be ironed out swiftly.  I must say that I was surprised at someone wanting paid for removing bees; I, too, thought that  friendly beekeeper would come to collect them. Oh, I could do a kalos here

The bees probably moved because of the nice weather.  You know - what do bees say in the summer?
S’warm!  🐝 

No sun here this morning, but it’s warm and dry so that’ll have to do.  Looks like a good bank holiday weekend.  Time for us to stay well inland till the visitor numbers drop

And talking of dropping ... that was my mobile’s fate yesterday 😕 Splat, straight on its face, so the display is totally done for.  Ho hum.  All those savings from not cruising seem to get used up in other ways

Have a good day everyone, especially if you’ve got special plans

• Like 7

I'm still her, will chip in while I still can if I have something useful to say.

I know for a fact that many beekeepers with collect Bees for free,

Our local one did it for my neighbour, he had been dabbling with keeping Bees himself and panicked when they swarmed.

He then gave it up much to our relief.

• Like 9

On 5/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, Host Sharon said:

I think it  will just be moved - probably to the Floataway Lounge, but not just yet.

6 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Nobody has mentioned anything about closing or moving this thread as yet. It's all speculation so please do not panic.

I think it was your former post that agitated a few Sharon but reassuring to read your latest 

post:classic_love: Thank you for the update .:classic_smile:.

• Like 1

Good morning.

Thank you Sharon, pleased there are no plans at present to change this thread.

Overcast this morning, may have to wait a day or two for summer to return in Gods country,

No plans today, my usual Friday job of giving the bathrooms a good clean.

Stay safe.

• Like 2

Morning

Thanks for all the replies, please excuse my reply to all. Apparently after seeing the photo that we managed to get, not easy photographing dive bombing bees, the man says they are bumble bees hence the charge, I forgot to say that in my message last night. No sign of any yet although the sun isn't out at that end of the garden yet. We're hoping they were just on a day trip to our summer house yesterday rather than taking up residence. If not I'll happily pay to get rid of them so that we can use the garden.

Sue could you put another fence or some kind of screen up on your side of the garden? 

Morning to you all.

Not too good down here, has been raining but has now stopped. Still not warming up as only getting to 13/14oC tops. We do not have any wind or even a breeze, and I can't remember the last time it was so still. Where is this summer weather that they keep promising, it certainly isn't coming down here!!

Got my Tesco delivery booked for later today and then will be busy making deserts for the BBQ my son has planned for tomorrow. So hope our forecast for tomorrow is correct.

Hope all those that have got problems with bees manage to get things sorted. Sue could you not plant a bush, tall plants or something in front of the fence?

Hi Sarah just reading your post about the guy wanting to charge to get rid of the

bumble Bee's .  If they are bumble Bee's they do not swarm and what you are seeing

is the males hoping to mate with the queen .The good news is that the male cannot 

sting you, so are of no danger to you . We get them every odd year or so and once the

queen has mated all seemed to go quiet and they move on . Personally they have 

never hurt us and we love to see them in the garden . If they are attacking you then I 

would question if they are Bumblebee's at all ? :classic_unsure:

https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/bee-faqs/swarming-bumblebees/

• Like 3

Sorry to read your predicament, Sue.  It is horrid when you have  problems with neighbours, and when the problem itself is always on your mind as it is right in front of you.  Hope you do not have to fall out with them, and I was also going to suggest that if necessary you should put something up on your own side to hide it, even if it means having to pay out good money for it!

I am not good even at having dogs next door, if they bark.  Luckily no problems at present with  quiet pleasant people on either side.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Is there no way that you could do something in your garden so that it looks better on your side?  

19 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning to you all.

Not too good down here, has been raining but has now stopped. Still not warming up as only getting to 13/14oC tops. We do not have any wind or even a breeze, and I can't remember the last time it was so still. Where is this summer weather that they keep promising, it certainly isn't coming down here!!

Got my Tesco delivery booked for later today and then will be busy making deserts for the BBQ my son has planned for tomorrow. So hope our forecast for tomorrow is correct.

Hope all those that have got problems with bees manage to get things sorted. Sue could you not plant a bush, tall plants or something in front of the fence?

19 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Morning to you all.

Thanks all, I’ve ordered some ‘privet hedge’ plants after googling ‘fast growing bushes’ they should arrive next week, I ordered them a few days ago so was hoping they’d arrive in time for this weekend.

Trouble is the neighbour has put a really ropey looking fence his side he’s cobbling together with bits and bobs! My old neighbour would be horrified if he could see it now, I call it ‘The Somme’ because it’s just mud! I know they’ve got three kids and two dogs but my old neighbours have two kids and one dog and they had a perfectly good lawn. 
It was funny because whoever trimmed the hedge first, him or John the other one would be out the nest day! They spurred each other on! 
I’m hosting my mum’s birthday lunch next Sunday so another reason I was upset, plus they can see right in now and I often sit there when it’s nice! Hopefully we can get it better but I wanted to move the other day because of it!

• Like 5

Fair day here, nicely warming up for what looks like a spell of nice weather, and a bank holiday to boot for those that like bank holidays. Everyday is a bank holiday for us now. Now that it is warming up watch out for those bees, Sue seems to have a right B next door, nowt worse than stroppy neighbours. All this bee talk reminded me of an old joke I used to tell at school, yep that old.

A man got a job as a zookeeper, on his first day at the zoo he was walking past the aviary when he saw a beautiful finch. He reached into the cage and caught the bird to give it a stroke. Unfortunately he squeezed too hard and killed the bird. In a panic he threw the dead bird into the lions cage to get rid of the evidence. As he was walking away he accidentally knocked over the Bee hive exhibit. The hive crashed to the ground and the bees began to swarm out. In a panic he stomped all over the hive and killed the bees then threw the lot over the wall into the lions cage. As he walked past the Monkey cage he turned to see all the monkeys taking the Mickey out of him. He flew into a rage and entered the monkey cage and punched the first monkey he saw, killing him outright. In a panic now he also threw the monkey's body over into the lions cage.
   The next day the zoo introduced a new lion to the lion enclosure. The lion walked up to the leader of the pack an old and wise lion and said "Hi mate, I'm new, just got here from Africa, what's this place like then?"
  "It's all right here mate" said the old lion. "What's the food like then?" said the newcomer.
   "Not too bad" said the old lion "Last night I had finch, chimps and mushy bees!"   

Edited by yorkshirephil
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8