PRINCESS CRUISERS: HOW ARE THINGS WHERE YOU ARE?!

Host CJSKIDS

On 5/11/2021 at 7:20 PM, leck57 said:

And while ever you and others hold off getting vaccinated while you wait for a choice, it just slows our vacs rate down and the opening of our borders.

Just a reminder, we have had 1.7 million doses of the AZ vaccine done (including me) and have had 11 blood clot cases, probably a few of these with medical issues. I'll let you work out the odds.

My husband and I have had our first AZ back in early April prior to the update for under 50’s. All good for us, apart from a sore arm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loki S said:

My husband and I have had our first AZ back in early April prior to the update for under 50’s. All good for us, apart from a sore arm.

I think we may be lining up for our yearly booster before we cruise at the rate things are going.

Our Governor just lifted most of the mask-mandated rules for vaccinated people.  Colorado continues to decline in new cases, but our county with one of the larger populations in the state has a sustained high rate of new infections and hospitalizations that are again beginning to stress ICU capacity.  Vaccine hesitancy in a surprisingly large portion of the population in a county with vaccines easily available and appointments going unfilled.   Go figure.  We are just grateful we’ve had our shots and will definitely be in line for a booster when they are needed.   

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 1

What I want to say is lets not judge people it is so hard for me to get out for my second vaccine. I am using a rollator been hospitalized three times recently goining to try to make the second shot with the never ending support of my husband. Not judgeing anyone ones post lol! Yes I have had to call EMS to get me back in the house! I love all our first responders!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

Played tourist in SF yesterday! Felt so good to get back to Crissy Fields (unmasked), Fort Mason, Fisherman's Wharf for lunch / street musicians & artists (masked). Lately all I've been doing is dog park, hiking, and dining in parklets. Looking forward to taking the ferry over next time. Guess that's as close as we'll get to a cruise for a while

• Like 5

On 5/16/2021 at 11:19 AM, Reader0108598 said:

What I want to say is lets not judge people it is so hard for me to get out for my second vaccine. I am using a rollator been hospitalized three times recently goining to try to make the second shot with the never ending support of my husband. Not judgeing anyone ones post lol! Yes I have had to call EMS to get me back in the house! I love all our first responders!

Good luck;  once you have your second vaccine things should get better

• Like 1

Feeling HAPPY!

"Cruise lines are not required to test fully vaccinated passengers before embarking on a trip or upon returning to port, according to updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The new guidance, the latest easing of coronavirus-era protocols for vaccinated travelers, applies to simulated and restricted sailings under the agency's Framework for Conditional Sailing Order. Travelers who got the jab as well as those who contracted COVID-19 within the past 90 days and recovered also don't need to get tested onboard if they come into contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 as long as they are asymptomatic.

The new rules come just days after the CDC said vaccinated cruise passengers can go maskless in certain outdoor settings and explore ports on their own without having to book an excursion through the cruise line. It's also in line with the agency's recommendation that fully vaccinated people can safely go without masks in outdoor situations and many indoor situations."

• Like 2

Just ran into a maskless guy at the desk in the hotel lobby. There are signs everywhere stating that masks are required in the hotel in all public spaces. He told me he "identifies" as vaccinated and "if I get it, I get it". It's against the hotel rules to punch the guy in the throat. Bummer. If one doesn't want to get vaccinated they should at least have the guts to admit it rather than "identifying as vaccinated". What a total crock.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Just ran into a maskless guy at the desk in the hotel lobby. There are signs everywhere stating that masks are required in the hotel in all public spaces. He told me he "identifies" as vaccinated and "if I get it, I get it". It's against the hotel rules to punch the guy in the throat. Bummer. If one doesn't want to get vaccinated they should at least have the guts to admit it rather than "identifying as vaccinated". What a total crock.

Well then it is there choice to get sick 

On 5/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, leck57 said:

Just a reminder, we have had 1.7 million doses of the AZ vaccine done (including me) and have had 11 blood clot cases, probably a few of these with medical issues. I'll let you work out the odds.

As I mentioned... I am not worried about blood clots. I am more concerned about getting a more effective vaccine. I would be happy to pay for the Pfizer or Moderna ($50 would be fine IMO ... more than they cost, so a net gain for the Government), but we simply don't have the choice. To learn about vaccine effectiveness (in particular versus various strains) check out the following web site:

https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

My concern with AZ as the only option (being over 50) is the following:

"A study published in NEJM on 16 March showed the vaccine is not effective against the B.1.351 variant that originated in South Africa."

It would be quite disappointing to get the AZ jabs only to find they might not be acceptable in other countries, and then have to get Moderna/Pfizer as well. I'd rather cut to the chase... but again, the Aussie Government won't allow it right now. Also, I am hardly vaccine averse... I have a booklet going back to my birth with dozens of jabs in it.

Edited by BulldustHHH

16 hours ago, memoak said:

Well then it is there choice to get sick 

The problem then becomes if enough people don't get the vaccine then the virus sticks around and will continue to mutate and could then be mutated enough where the vaccine no longer helps.  There are also people who are immunocompromised where the vaccine doesn't hurt but is not giving them a lot of protection.  I'm sure some of the people reading this are antivaxers but I really wish people would not be so selfish and think of other people.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being an RNA-based virus mutations are an on-going affair. Most mutations are irrelevant, to be sure, but occasionally new strains crop up which may be more or less problematic. Give this web page a minute to load and you see what I mean by continuous mutations:

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/global

There is no way an intensive vaccination program, even globally, is going to prevent mutations of this virus. People are going to have to get used to it being around for the long term, with the prospect of annual flu-like booster shots. We are no more likely to get rid of this virus, in my opinion, than the annual flu.

I'll contribute to Thrak's bail fund if he does decide to throat punch a jerk.

The mask experience here in Alabama has been interesting. We arrived in Red Bay on May 9, before the CDC announcement re vaccinated folks not needing to be masked. Almost no one in this very small town was wearing a mask, even though almost all the businesses have signs saying they are required. We went to Costco in Huntsville on Saturday, after the announcement, and almost everyone was wearing masks, and wearing them correctly. Costco's current policy (at least as of that day) says that masks must be worn in the pharmacy, hearing testing, and eyewear area. I had planned to take off my mask after finishing at the pharmacy, but with so many others wearing masks, I kept it on in solidarity.

I mentioned the mask-wearing  to my son over the phone. He told me that, in his community in rural Montana, the anti-vaxxers have started wearing masks, so they don't inhale whatever harmful stuff the vaccinated are exhaling, and that this concept is making the rounds in certain online communities. Really. Yesterday, he told me that some anti-vaxxers have now adopted mask wearing as a symbol that they are not "sheep" who took the vaccine. He monitors quite a few groups so he can discuss their thinking with students in his AP Government and Politics and Prep US Government classes. 

In recent days, here in Red Bay, we are noticing far more people wearing masks. I have to wonder if those folks are thinking in line with the people my son mentioned. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Interesting developments here in Santa Clara County in California. Seems we are going in the opposite direction than Florida. Legal forms from County have been delivered to the businesses to give to employees to sign if they have or have not got a vaccine. They have one box to mark if you don't want to give that info but, they will then regard it then as you as not been vaccinated. Form has to be filled out and returned to HR in 10 days.  

Things are getting close to opening up here on June 15th but, business will have to submit info to county and then decide what they are going to do with the anti-vaxxers. My own personal feelings are I really appreciate someone looking out for my safety and health at work (yes, vaccinated but know I can still get Covid).

Cheers,

John

PS: I'm not looking for any social media attorney expert input on if this is legal or not, just simply posting developments of where I live 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 007colocruz said:

Glad to see some movement with the Alaska cruises starting up this July!

welcome to CC, 'new'  007 colo cruiser - new posters with fresh ideas are always a welcome change

lots of excellent posters and topics on this Princess forum ... hope to see some new "live from" threads again in the coming months as you can really get the feel of the ship in real-time

• Thanks 1

3 music festivals in the GG Park this summer:

> Stern Grove 

> Hardly BlueGrass

> Jazz

> at least 1 to follow in the fall

I am booked for the reconfigured Alaska August 15, 2021 cruise as:

1. Ship shore excursion not required (but I'll still zipline thru Princess)

2. Masks not required outdoors

3. Fully vaxed (J&J, yes I'm a wimp) so no testing

Life returns 

Add: Our county is 71% vaxed but stuck in orange tier (moderate restrictions)

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

3 music festivals in the GG Park this summer:

> Stern Grove 

> Hardly BlueGrass

> Jazz

> at least 1 to follow in the fall

I am booked for the reconfigured Alaska August 15, 2021 cruise as:

1. Ship shore excursion not required (but I'll still zipline thru Princess)

2. Masks not required outdoors

3. Fully vaxed (J&J, yes I'm a wimp) so no testing

Life returns 

Add: Our county is 71% vaxed but stuck in orange tier (moderate restrictions)

We are two weeks after.  Please post what you liked or disliked with the new rules.

• Like 1

Hello fellow cruisers!!!

Things are moving along with my prostate cancer treatment. I am being enrolled in a clinical trial conducted by Sloan-Kettering Institute out of NY. It is a combo of immunotherapy and radiation and will run about 8 weeks starting June 1.  My wife has been a real champion thru this for me.

Not much else happening we are simply waiting for our week on the beach in North Carolina in early September and, of course, our cruise on the Enchanted Princess in March.

Everyone have a great week!

• Like 5

My daughter signed a contract to be a band and choir director at a SoCal high school. I'm so proud of her! She also gets to teach an elective of her choice. She is leaning toward a music history course, but might do music theory, instead, with a goal of eventually having an Advanced Placement Music Theory class in a couple of years. 

I'm bummed that it's 90 or minutes away from home, depending on traffic. We were hoping she'd stay and help her brother take care of the house and dogs while we travel. We would have charged her rent, but would have returned most of it to her when she was ready to buy a home of her own.

I think our traveling may be curtailed a bit. I don't necessarily want to leave the 19 year-old for several to many months at a time with the responsibilities of college, commuting, a part-time job, house and dog sitting, etc.

It's exciting that she has such a good job straight out of college, with tremendous administrative support and a really good Boosters organization, so I suppose we will all figure it out. 

• Like 4