Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Well other exciting things are happening before our cruise. Linda has picked up a bunch of freelance legal work. She has 3 cases and is writing briefs for another group of Lawyers. The pay is great and will really help with our cruise habit.

I also picked up a freelance editing gig after we get back. Should be easy and pays great.

so I pulled the trigger on a new Mac computer. I’m getting a Mac Studio Ultra with the new M1 chip. It has 125gb of ram and a 8TB SSD drive. It’s 20 core cpu and a 48 core gpu. Should be enough horsepower to edit 4K video easily. I guess Merry Christmas to me.

That was a big trigger to pull.  That will easily edit 8k video. Looks like you're planning to go back to work. You will love this machine. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

That was a big trigger to pull.  That will easily edit 8k video. Looks like you're planning to go back to work. You will love this machine. 

Hopefully just a freelance editing gig here and there. Nothing full time. Trying to keep myself busy. I think I've watched every episodes of "Friends" as I never really watched that show.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hopefully just a freelance editing gig here and there. Nothing full time. Trying to keep myself busy. I think I've watched every episodes of "Friends" as I never really watched that show.

I'm binging on Chicago Fire, as I never watched the program.  Up to Season 6, 😁

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NHProud said:

Congratulations to you both ! I love to watch attorneys do their thing . Court TV is the best “ reality “ show . I’ve been watching SC V. Murdaugh . Such theatrics from the guy on trial .  I don’t know if he committed what he is accused of but he sure knows how to put on a show.   

I love court tv. Got hooked during OJ and then Jodi Arias. Sadly cable dumped the channel years ago.

We can now get it on regular TV so I have to watch it in the sewing room where we don't have cable.

Murdaugh sure knows how to play the game. I'm undecided how the jury will go.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I love court tv. Got hooked during OJ and then Jodi Arias. Sadly cable dumped the channel years ago.

We can now get it on regular TV so I have to watch it in the sewing room where we don't have cable.

Murdaugh sure knows how to play the game. I'm undecided how the jury will go.

I watched the O J and Arias trials , also . I watch Court TV on Roku .  My guess is a hung jury only because of the two jurors that cried during his testimony. The closing arguments are going to be interesting.  

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I would love to be a CC contestant on either Survivor or Amazing Race.  I'd be the first person to be eliminated but that's ok, instead of going home, the show will put you up in a sweet resort for 3+ weeks while the rest of the show is being filmed.

I had tickets to see Bruce in 1985 after the album Born in the USA came out on the floor in Dallas. Wife tried our for survivor about 30 years ago , she is in great shape she works out at a local bootcamp almost every  morning at 5am . My only bootcamp was in the army in 1969😁😁

• Like 6

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

I watched the O J and Arias trials , also . I watch Court TV on Roku .  My guess is a hung jury only because of the two jurors that cried during his testimony. The closing arguments are going to be interesting.  

Quite a while ago there was a 20/20 2-hour show on a Friday night about him, the family and the murder. I didn't know anything about him. The verdict will be interesting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, h20skibum said:

That is the new look.  They will probably be rolled out when their old style stock is depleted.

I don’t care for them, but I’m sure they’re cheaper than the others.

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

On here, after hitting quote and then click below the quote, it highlights, selects, everything in the box and will not let me text.  This started a couple of months ago after an update.  My phone has had to updates since then and it will still do the same thing.  Do you have a Samsung?  If so what model.  Is yours doing OK? 

I have the Galaxy S20 FE. It also says 5G, but aren’t all the newer ones? I’ve had that problem, but it seems to come and go without me doing anything. Next time I’ll have to see which keyboard it’s on.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Mark, how is you DD doing one week after the surgery? 🤞

Thanks for asking, Dani.  She is moving around a little better each day, but she will have restrictions on lifting anything for 4 weeks, and there will be physical therapy ahead. 

The home health care nurse has been there a couple times, and she says she is healing nicely.  No biopsy results yet.  I will be taking her to her follow up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. Then, a follow up with her doctor next Tuesday.  Hopefully we will know more then. 

Taking it a day at a time. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

VERY impressive stats on your new machine.  If you're like me, you will love just using it.  No matter what I throw at my computer, it handles it without even blinking, which makes me happy. 😁 My computer isn't close to what you're getting.  I don't (yet) do anything with 4K though.

I met a guy several years ago who was an industry expert in my field.  He had retired a few years earlier and planned to do some occasional consulting to stay busy and make a little extra money.  The idea was that he would be picky and choose what to work on, and when to do it.  He might go months without doing anything.  That was the plan at least.  Because he was an industry expert, he was in high demand.  So he raised his rates.  That made him a high-priced industry expert and he was in even more demand.  When I talked to him, he was working more hours than before he "retired".  Retirement is about whatever makes you happy!

• Like 9

9 hours ago, NHProud said:

Congratulations to you both ! I love to watch attorneys do their thing . Court TV is the best “ reality “ show . I’ve been watching SC V. Murdaugh . Such theatrics from the guy on trial .  I don’t know if he committed what he is accused of but he sure knows how to put on a show.   

Lisa just finished watching the series on Netflix about him.  She shared some of his families past history and wow, they are crazy.  She is hopes they add a few more episodes about the trial.  She said that reality is stranger than fiction. 

• Like 2

Good morning.

Reading the thread, as some talk about concerts, I have to thank Bruce Springsteen for his song lyrics to "My Hometown".

In my college days being a student at Penn State.  I was able to do some of my electives close to home at the Shenango campus, but my Nursing classes at main.

Well, anyway for our senior thesis, we had to do write up and present in person a total analysis of the town you grew up in.  For me it was Youngstown.  Back then computers were not readily available to obtain the data....

And the presentation had  to be done at main campus.

So letters written to many government offices as well as personal interviews to obtain the data.

Then you had to defend your paper (This was just for my under grad).

You had to talk and posters were your visual aides.  (I told you I was old).

And you had to prepare and present for 45-55 min.

As I set up, posters on their display boards and plugged in my tape recorder.

I started by introducing myself and where my presentation would encompass.

Then I turned on the tape recorder and good old Bruce sang  "MY Hometown"

I caught the attention of the review board, smiles and approval was obvious.

It was enough to calm me down.

My presentation was spot on, and my evaluations and grade that game a few weeks later had comments that my presentation for originality and content received the highest marks, thus recognizing me as the best thesis.

The reason it took weeks to obtain your grade, is our papers were scrutinized for correct data and for wrong information.  Randomly a section of your paper was verified and you did not know what would be selected.

Funny, one student was caught plagiarizing, she admitted to it, so had to repeat the course.

When I put my mind and love what I am doing, I seem to have fun, and do it the best way I can.

I think this helped me graduate with honors from Penn State. Well excellent grades helped too.

Now, with all those techno savy equipment, I do not know if I could do it.

I'm still trying to do folders on my IPhone.

As far as TV shows,

Looking forward to Survivor tonight.

and

I have the TV set to TIVO episodes of M.A.S.H.  (Yup, the spouse did it for me).

Be safe

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 5

We have been inundated with Murdagh trial stuff here as we are only a few hours away from where everything happened,.  Remember hearing about the boat accident when it happened, have been by that waterfront on one of our day trips, didn't put it all together until watching some of the recent shows.  I do think he had something to do with it all but won't be found guilty.  Yes as someone said reality is stranger than fiction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

VERY impressive stats on your new machine.  If you're like me, you will love just using it.  No matter what I throw at my computer, it handles it without even blinking, which makes me happy. 😁 My computer isn't close to what you're getting.  I don't (yet) do anything with 4K though.

I met a guy several years ago who was an industry expert in my field.  He had retired a few years earlier and planned to do some occasional consulting to stay busy and make a little extra money.  The idea was that he would be picky and choose what to work on, and when to do it.  He might go months without doing anything.  That was the plan at least.  Because he was an industry expert, he was in high demand.  So he raised his rates.  That made him a high-priced industry expert and he was in even more demand.  When I talked to him, he was working more hours than before he "retired".  Retirement is about whatever makes you happy!

I agree whatever makes you happy. I’m hoping I find the right balance between doing nothing (less stress) and doing freelance (stressful).

Im hoping this computer will stay current for at least 10 years. Most of my other computers are good for 3 years before the technology changes and makes it obsolete.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Thanks for asking, Dani.  She is moving around a little better each day, but she will have restrictions on lifting anything for 4 weeks, and there will be physical therapy ahead. 

The home health care nurse has been there a couple times, and she says she is healing nicely.  No biopsy results yet.  I will be taking her to her follow up appointment with the surgeon tomorrow. Then, a follow up with her doctor next Tuesday.  Hopefully we will know more then. 

Prayers

Be safe

• Like 1

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Sending your dear daughter our prayers 🙏 and good wishes Mark.

Graham.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well other exciting things are happening before our cruise. Linda has picked up a bunch of freelance legal work. She has 3 cases and is writing briefs for another group of Lawyers. The pay is great and will really help with our cruise habit.

I also picked up a freelance editing gig after we get back. Should be easy and pays great.

so I pulled the trigger on a new Mac computer. I’m getting a Mac Studio Ultra with the new M1 chip. It has 125gb of ram and a 8TB SSD drive. It’s 20 core cpu and a 48 core gpu. Should be enough horsepower to edit 4K video easily. I guess Merry Christmas to me.

Greg, how exciting.

I am thrilled for you being able to continue using your talents.  It is great being retired, but, when you can selectively do what you are best at keeps you young.

Also

I am glad your wife has the opportunity to keep busy with what she also enjoys.  

To think, both of your offers come from people who know you are great at what you do.

I must congratulate the both of you.

Enjoy and have fun.

Be safe

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Excellent news Greg.

I'm really pleased for you both.

• Like 1