Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I use TripAdvisor a lot for research, but I've never rated or posted anything there.  I should probably rate things there so that I'm contributing back.

I have rated a few things on trip advisor, but 3 or 4 that I gave high ratings to went out of business. I don’t know if that means I have bad taste, or if I am jinxing them.  Maybe the pandemic had something to do with it. 🤷

• Like 1

It’s Spring here- we have apple buds, and the crocuses are coming up! It’s going to be 21 degrees today. (about 70 degrees Fahrenheit). The jackrabbits are changing their colours back to brown, and farming equipment is being moved along the TransCanada highway.

I realized we were supposed to be on a cruise. Suez Canal, and from Barcelona to Amsterdam on the Jewel. The next one is the TA on the Rhapsody in November, which may not go.

• Like 3

I have a facebook acct I hardly ever use.  I pop in every so often to see what other family members, our sons etc have posted.  No Twitter or instagram.  

Trip advisor, haven't used in over a year, but I have used for research and posted reviews on occasion.  Yelp I have occasionally used and posted reviews of restaurants but cruise critic is my go to on a daily basis, especially this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Since I didn’t race back to Pennsylvania last night to get that free beer, we had a more leisurely pace today.  Whenever we drive to and from the south, we always cross the New River Gorge Bridge.  Never bothered to stop there until today. 

We took the wood stairs down to the overlook. 

E40CB3B4-D3C4-4D30-A8E2-61A69F924182.thumb.jpeg.6b26a5d5c864987bffdbcddfd3f187b3.jpeg

The bridge from the upper platform 

4D63242D-AC69-4143-901A-9224D612B630.thumb.jpeg.9780bc33ecf38f13572b83cfa203c85e.jpeg

This is one of the longest and tallest arch bridges in the northern hemisphere.  A view from the lower platform 

78D47BBB-BDFD-4DC3-AE6F-84EC0768F9F0.thumb.jpeg.1ef5f794203e9ff72750701db35702b8.jpeg

Once a year, in October, they close the bridge for a day and have a festival on the bridge. Many from across the country come in to do BASE jumps from the bridge or to rappel from it. 

Found one of these for a lunch stop

0560F168-515F-452F-BE58-81C102D848FE.thumb.jpeg.3ddc61e123ea6dafd954ce14ce1f5493.jpeg

Their jerk chicken is not bad. 

2DC3FED6-9447-4914-858F-2ED1B2D8F50E.thumb.jpeg.6df579340578094853a3e1dffd864872.jpeg

When I saw the stairs the first thing that came to my mind was "Oh no, you wil have to climb back up all those stairs."

Great pictures.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sara mom said:

When I saw the stairs the first thing that came to my mind was "Oh no, you wil have to climb back up all those stairs."

Great pictures.

Haha.  I was surprised that Fitbit only recorded 10 floors for those.  It seemed like a lot more. 😁

33 minutes ago, StanleyandGus said:

and farming equipment is being moved along the TransCanada highway.

The first time I saw that happening in Manitoba, as I was driving to Alberta, I shook my head in wonderment.  Obviously it is the major road to get from A to B when there are no service roads.  Imagine the same scene on anywhere on the 401, let alone Toronto. 

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Pretty much.  Social media is a disease and it is killing our kids.  

JC<———— doesn’t have kids.

I once saw a cartoon picture of an empty playground. Sitting on a nearby bench were kids silently working on their "devices". How sad is that. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same with me.

4 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Pretty much.  Social media is a disease and it is killing our kids.  

JC<———— doesn’t have kids.

I think it breeds an incredible narcissism in some people, particularly younger people.  I imagine it could be argued it was already there but I still think it is an exacerbating factor.  I guess that makes me an "old guy" now. For some people it seems to remove their filter.  Anything that comes into their head comes out of their mouth.  That's not always healthy either.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor are the only social media forums I use.

I forgot about TripAdvisor.  I used to rate and review all my travel experiences there.  I've gotten lazy and stopped doing for anything but hotels.  I don't post on their forums though it was their forums that put me onto Cruise Critic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I think it breeds an incredible narcissism in some people

Totally agree. I have cut down on FB just for that reason. I unfriended a person because every day they would brag about what they made for dinner and show pictures. It got ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like some others I have accounts on other sites but never post.  Use FB for messenger and one work related group

I have a messenger account but not a Facebook account.  It was the only way to contact my sister.  She would never respond to texts or email so that was the only way to get a hold of her.  Facebook used to let you download the app and sign up for messenger only.  They don't do that anymore. DW tried to do it so she could message my sister and they required her to sign up for a full Facebook account.  DW says she doesn't need to talk to my sister that much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Totally agree. I have cut down on FB just for that reason. I unfriended a person because every day they would brag about what they made for dinner and show pictures. It got ridiculous.

I haven't unfriended anyone but I don't follow several of my fb friends that constantly post their political views

• Like 4

Apologies in advance to anyone that may be a used car salesperson but the one I just dealt with just reinforced my already low opinion of them.

Just bought my son a used car a couple days ago and then had to send the dealership proof of insurance so we could pick it up next week.  Right after I sent it I get a reply back from him letting us know that they have a good set of winter tires that will fit this car available for $400 cash (yeah, they came with the car and now he's trying to pocket some extra cash).  I asked him for the date code on the tires and he responds well they are 2011 but lots of tread left and no cracking....no thanks.  Not taking a chance on 10 year old rubber and I can buy new steel rims for $300 taxes in and these rims are probably as old as the tires.  He then came back and offered them to me for $250...still no.  Haven't heard back from him on my $100 offer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, davekathy said:

Cruise Critic is the only social media I use. 

Me too.   Though I do rely on Tripadvisor for info quite often (feeling like I need to pay it forward and do reviews myself also)  I will also rate a VRBO stay as well.  Used to doing ratings for campgrounds...but we are not getting out there to do that much any longer.  Happy to be able to snag this three night at the park we are at.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I use TripAdvisor a lot for research, but I've never rated or posted anything there.  I should probably rate things there so that I'm contributing back.

That's why I do it as well.   Since I use it so much for info (which helps a lot)...feel I owe contributions as well.  

• Thanks 1

CC is my only social media.  Actually, I used to have a fb account.  I haven’t looked at it in 10 years or so.  I wonder if they ever disappear?

Luckily, I can continue on this thread.  I cleaned my refrigerator this morning, so I’m a member in good standing for at least 6 months!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I do FB and Instagram as well

Actually prefer Instagram since it's basically just photos. I follow a couple folks who contribute here. 😇

Some post on IG less than others. 😉

Edited by A&L_Ont

Day two on the Silver River.  Got out much earlier this time to avoid the huge crowds...big payoff.  Much more relaxing and more wildlife.   Turtles, Anhingas, Wood Ducks, lots of fish, and one ancestor of the escaped monkeys from the zoo.  River has dozens of "boils" that are natural springs that bubble up from the bottom that contribute to the fresh water constant flow.  

20210407_082818.jpg

20210407_083807.jpg

20210407_084036.jpg

20210407_084400.jpg

20210407_084941.jpg

20210407_085110.jpg

20210407_094012.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 15