Cruise Critic News: Popular Carnival Cruise Director Matt Mitcham Announces Retirement

jimbo5544

24 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I found his FB page and his video announcement - not saying where he is going, sort of alluded to perhaps not even leaving Carnival altogether...

Also, his last name is "Mitcham", with an "a", in case anyone is searching.

Rumor has it in the comments section of that video, he accepted a position with Virgin. It’s just in the comments and I don’t follow shiny teeth dude so I’m unsure of the accuracy regarding that statement. It’s just what someone noted.

His comment was there to part ways on good terms and leave the door open for future opportunities.

My opinion though: this is a loss for Carnival. He seemed to be an ideal candidate as Heald’s replacement. Sailed with him once while he was an ACD on the Victory and I thought he did a fine job.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 19cruiser59 said:

Mike Pack has been announced as new Mardi Gras CD.

4 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Butch was an awesome guy. I hope he’s doing okay.

Not a big follower of CDs, but Mike and Butch and Matt were all great.  

Tough to hang on during a no sail environment.

Last I heard Butch was doing well, but haven't seen any FB posts in awhile.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Rumor has it in the comments section of that video, he accepted a position with Virgin. It’s just in the comments and I don’t follow shiny teeth dude so I’m unsure of the accuracy regarding that statement. It’s just what someone noted.

His comment was there to part ways on good terms and leave the door open for future opportunities.

My opinion though: this is a loss for Carnival. He seemed to be an ideal candidate as Heald’s replacement. Sailed with him once while he was an ACD on the Victory and I thought he did a fine job.

Switching to another cruise line (CCL brand or other) will strengthen that future position.  Between Matt and Schwartz, they manage every aspect of being a CD with ease and personality.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Matt was the best, we had him as our CD on the Vista Med and TA and the Horizon TA. 

I can see him working for Virgin Cruises, he definitely fits in with their employee culture.  He's young, personable and sexy a perfect fit for Virgin.

• Like 3

After cruising with Matt on the Vista, it was the very first time I really paid attention to a cruise director. He was so good and set the bar so high that it was hard for anyone else to come close.  He will be a huge loss to Carnival.  I was really hoping to have him as a CD on my Mardi Gras cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I found his FB page and his video announcement - not saying where he is going, sort of alluded to perhaps not even leaving Carnival altogether...

Also, his last name is "Mitcham", with an "a", in case anyone is searching.

New Brand Ambassador perhaps?