Cruise Critic Members onboard

Pinboy

How about a new topic ???  I hope this falls within the guidelines of CC .

We have had to cancel 3 cruises and have not cruised since joining CC .

A few questions re CC Members onboard during a cruise :

Is there a " Meet and Greet " ? If so, where and when is it held ?

Is there a " Coordinator  " from CC or does the CD introduce everyone ?

Do we introduce ourselves my real name or pseudo name that we use on CC ?

Are we expected to talk a bit ( no more than 45 minutes ) about ourselves to the group ?

Is there a " Good Bye " gathering at the end of the cruise ?

Anyone want to share any experiences after meeting some of the members they have read or commented on their posts ? Any surprises ? ( Don't use their name ).

21 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

How about a new topic ???  I hope this falls within the guidelines of CC .

We have had to cancel 3 cruises and have not cruised since joining CC .

A few questions re CC Members onboard during a cruise :

Is there a " Meet and Greet " ? If so, where and when is it held ?

You will have the opportunity to sign up before your cruise, via CC.

If there are 25.members, a meeting will be held.

This is usually on the morning of the first sea day, but you will have a card left in your cabin informing your the venue.

Is there a " Coordinator  " from CC or does the CD introduce everyone ? I have been to meetings where the CD has spoken, but usually to ask that if anything is not going to expectations, then please talk to her rather than complain.

It’s a good idea to wear a name badge, with your CC name on it.

Are we expected to talk a bit ( no more than 45 minutes ) about ourselves to the group ? No, the group meetings that I have been to are often gatherings where final arrangements are made for excursions, but as we don’t know definitely about new regulations, who knows if  private excursions will take place.

No

Anyone want to share any experiences after meeting some of the members they have read or commented on their posts ? Any surprises ? ( Don't use their name ).

Edited by upwarduk
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

You will have the opportunity to sign up before your cruise, via CC.

If there are 25.me bets a meeting will be held.

This is usually on the morning of the first sea day, but you will have a card left in your cabin informing your the venue.

If 25 members do not sign up There is no meeting.  Celebrity chooses the time and location.  On TAs there might be 200 people.  Others very few.  Officers often attend along with the activities crew member running the meeting.

They open it up for those attending to introduce themselves if group is small.

A few prizes raffles off.  As said a last chance to organize card games or participants for private excursions.

Members also usually migrate to a top deck aft for sail away.  

Obviously will be changes such as not passing the microphone around for intros.

• Thanks 1

In the past, most Roll Calls had a Sail Away gathering just after muster drill.  Frequently at the Sunset Bar.  Very informal, folks wear name tags with both CC name & real first name or Mardi Gras beads so they can identify each other.

Lately the Roll Calls are all but dead; no one doing much Planning of tours or group

activities since we don’t know what will be allowable. UCB less if our cruises will sail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found the CC parties to be very dependent on how much effort the cruise director puts into it.   I have been on cruises where the CD treats the gatherings as an annoyance and something that they just want to get over ASAP.   Just an opinion.   We had a great gathering on the Summit a few years back which Captain Kate attended and made everyone feel welcome.   We had once on another ship where the CD introduced a woman who spent a lot of time setting up Cabin Crawls and other activities.  She spoke for a few minutes about the logistics of meeting times, etc and then turned it back over to the CD to finish.  Guess what, the whole crew had disappeared. 

Also, I have recommended a number of times that at the start of the party when name tags are given out they mention to put CC screen names on them.   They have never done it and the name tags remain with just our real names.   Nobody knows us by our real names so UpwardUK is absolutely correct, put your screen names on the tags. 

Finally, last couple of cruises the meeting was not held in a closed room, been held in an open bar and lots of people join in who have no clue what's going on because they just passed by and joined the group. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

I have found the CC parties to be very dependent on how much effort the cruise director puts into it.   I have been on cruises where the CD treats the gatherings as an annoyance and something that they just want to get over ASAP.   Just an opinion.   We had a great gathering on the Summit a few years back which Captain Kate attended and made everyone feel welcome.   We had once on another ship where the CD introduced a woman who spent a lot of time setting up Cabin Crawls and other activities.  She spoke for a few minutes about the logistics of meeting times, etc and then turned it back over to the CD to finish.  Guess what, the whole crew had disappeared. 

Also, I have recommended a number of times that at the start of the party when name tags are given out they mention to put CC screen names on them.   They have never done it and the name tags remain with just our real names.   Nobody knows us by our real names so UpwardUK is absolutely correct, put your screen names on the tags. 

Finally, last couple of cruises the meeting was not held in a closed room, been held in an open bar and lots of people join in who have no clue what's going on because they just passed by and joined the group. 

I don't think we will need to worry about any of the above once crusing resumes.  Meeting with a large group in a closed room - NO THANKS.  Cabin crawl - JEEZ NO, not in my cabin anyway.  COVID changes....UGH

• Like 1

Our experience is that it isn’t worth going to.  We went to a few and no longer go 

Most don’t want to mingle.  They grab a chair and wait for the CD to  introduce the staff in attendance.    We have tried to mingle by approaching those sitting and got the feeling that we were bothering them.

The staff tells you how great it is to have you on board  blah blah blah, the same script you will hear many times during other events.   The event for us wasted about one hour of our day.

It is also usually  held at a time that may also interfere with something else.

For the most part it is a opportunity for those that are planning a private tour together to meet but don’t expect the staff to promote it as they want you to purchase their tours.   Some will have a gift exchange after.    I guess it is fun for some but we don’t want to carry useless gifts to exchange for some other useless gift.   We have enough clutter.  

It is better to join in the Roll Call for your cruise  Some  will arrange a sail away party at the aft bar,  but basically it doesn’t serve any purpose just go where you want to be for the sail away.  It isn’t as if you can’t be there if you don’t sign up.

We found one of  the best thing about the Roll Call  is the cabin crawl that is sometimes arranged .   It gives the chance to tour other cabins 

The Roll Call also gives you the opportunity to join in a group that is planning on a private tour, or to arrange one,   It also is good place to get to know some ot those that will be sailing with you and helps build excitement about the cruise along with sharing a few  helpful tips. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

1--Nobody knows us by our real names so UpwardUK is absolutely correct, put your screen names on the tags. 

2--I have been to meetings where the CD has spoken, but usually to ask that if anything is not going to expectations, then please talk to her rather than complain.

3--Cabin crawl 

1--- Agree--- I would be interested to see who I have been communicating with and then decide if I want to give them my real name.

2-- If something isn't " going to expectations " the worst people to speak to are the GR Manager, Customer Relations counter, or the CD. Each will take notes , say " Sorry for the inconvenience " and later send you a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.

The only people to express dissatisfaction to are the Department Heads, Food and Beverage Manager, or the Hotel Manager. They've heard it all and will know immediately whether your complaint is legitimate  or  etc, etc. 

3-- I can't see the purpose of a cabin crawl under any circumstances.

Most likely CC meetings will be a thing of the past.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

1--- Agree--- I would be interested to see who I have been communicating with and then decide if I want to give them my real name.

2-- If something isn't " going to expectations " the worst people to speak to are the GR Manager, Customer Relations counter, or the CD. Each will take notes , say " Sorry for the inconvenience " and later send you a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.

The only people to express dissatisfaction to are the Department Heads, Food and Beverage Manager, or the Hotel Manager. They've heard it all and will know immediately whether your complaint is legitimate  or  etc, etc. 

3-- I can't see the purpose of a cabin crawl under any circumstances.

Most likely CC meetings will be a thing of the past.

Pretty much agree with all of this.  The cabin crawl is IMO ridiculous, I did it twice and listened to a bunch of blah blah blah.  Try to arrange to bring a gift representing your state, cit, country etc to give to everyone.  Give me a break, I'd toss it when I got home anyway.  I cruise to relax and do it my way...just sayin, it is what works for me.  If you have never done, it perhpas you should try, form your own opinion, but when crusing resumes, not so sure it will be a good idea.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pinboy said:

As a starter, I think most use their screen names for identification.  If I'm on hhe cruise, just stop by the pool and shout "Pee, Pee" and I'll raise my hand and we can meet for a drink.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

just stop by the pool and shout "Pee, Pee" 

LOL---Yeah sure -- The next thing ---  someone would point me out to Security and I'd be quarantined for the rest of the cruise for shouting " Pee Pee " at you in the pool.

Are you the loudest guy at the pool , the one with the wild Hawaiian print bathing suit , getting all mixed up doing the Macarena ?

And, about using my screen name --- not so fast--- I would first see who the others are and whether it's " safe " to identify myself.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I don't think we will need to worry about any of the above once crusing resumes.  Meeting with a large group in a closed room - NO THANKS.  Cabin crawl - JEEZ NO, not in my cabin anyway.  COVID changes....UGH

Believe meeting in a closed room in the COVID era will be safer. They usually make it a large room and people can easily move around. The meetings at the bars I’ve seen used have dozens and dozens of people walking by and many joining just to see what’s going on, 

3 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Believe meeting in a closed room in the COVID era will be safer. They usually make it a large room and people can easily move around. The meetings at the bars I’ve seen used have dozens and dozens of people walking by and many joining just to see what’s going on, 

Even a hundred people in the sky lounge is just fine.  Last two events there was a pen to add your screen name.  It indeed all depends on Celebrity to make it a success.  With COVID it will be interesting to see if good or not.

In any case - sail away aft at a bar is great.

We sailed on the Millie on the TP sailing in Sept 2019 so I did sign up for the roll call for the first time. There were a lot signed up for that sailing. The only activities I did was the Meet and Greet at the Sky Lounge and the cabin crawl. I loved the cabin crawl as it showed you all of the different cabin types. The only one we didn’t see was an inside. This was well worth my time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree that meeting up with members on your Roll Call is better than going to the official gatherings.  I prefer not to put my name on my name tag.  Once I meet with people, then I will decide who I want to "confess" to.  Most people who join the Roll Calls and gather at the informal sail-aways are very nice.  I've also done a few private tours with members of our Roll Call, back in the good ole days when that was allowed.  

17 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Sometimes a member of the Roll Call organize this event: "Lunch at the MDR the last day at Sea"

Edited by gerelmx
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree that meeting up with members on your Roll Call is better than going to the official gatherings.  I prefer not to put my name on my name tag.  Once I meet with people, then I will decide who I want to "confess" to.  Most people who join the Roll Calls and gather at the informal sail-aways are very nice.  I've also done a few private tours with members of our Roll Call, back in the good ole days when that was allowed.  

Since my screen name is basically a short version of my name it's all the same. I never post anything that I wouldn't say to someone in person, so I have no problem telling anyone who I am. 

Funny to see the different opinions on Cabin Crawls. If you have a good representation of the different types of rooms on a cabin crawl then it is very worthwhile. That is where it is important to have a good organizer who will keep it down to only one of each room type. No one wants to see 6 1a's that are just alike. But if there is both sizes of off the hump extended balconies, a Sky Suite, perhaps some other suites, an inside, an oceanview, or any other rooms that have special features the cabin crawl lets you know if that is something you might want to book in the future. Otherwise you would never have a chance to check them out. Transatlantics and Pacifics are really good for these as you have plenty of spare time. Caribbean and others without sea days, not so much. 

Personally I prefer to keep the cruise line out of these things as much as possible. It has been my experience on the last couple of Celebrity cruises I've been on that they scheduled them at a very inopportune time. That almost shows me they might actually want to discourage them. This is a shift from a few years ago. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, miched said:

Our experience is that it isn’t worth going to.  We went to a few and no longer go 

Most don’t want to mingle.  They grab a chair and wait for the CD to  introduce the staff in attendance.    We have tried to mingle by approaching those sitting and got the feeling that we were bothering them.

The staff tells you how great it is to have you on board  blah blah blah, the same script you will hear many times during other events.   The event for us wasted about one hour of our day.

It is also usually  held at a time that may also interfere with something else.

For the most part it is a opportunity for those that are planning a private tour together to meet but don’t expect the staff to promote it as they want you to purchase their tours.   Some will have a gift exchange after.    I guess it is fun for some but we don’t want to carry useless gifts to exchange for some other useless gift.   We have enough clutter.  

It is better to join in the Roll Call for your cruise  Some  will arrange a sail away party at the aft bar,  but basically it doesn’t serve any purpose just go where you want to be for the sail away.  It isn’t as if you can’t be there if you don’t sign up.

We found one of  the best thing about the Roll Call  is the cabin crawl that is sometimes arranged .   It gives the chance to tour other cabins 

The Roll Call also gives you the opportunity to join in a group that is planning on a private tour, or to arrange one,   It also is good place to get to know some ot those that will be sailing with you and helps build excitement about the cruise along with sharing a few  helpful tips. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This has been my experience also. I used to attend maybe 10 years ago when they weren't as popular. It was fun when there aren't too many people. Once it gets over 50-60 people it's just too many people. As others have said it's generally the most useful for port intensive itineraries where many people have setup private excursions.  This generally is the first and easiest opportunity to meet those that are in a private tour group. The loyalty Cocktail hours are a much better venue to meet and make new friends and acquaintances.

We still join our roll calls, but no longer bother with the meet & greet. Curiously, none of ours have ever held a cabin crawl IIRC, but between CC and YouTube, I think we've seen all the cabins we might be interested in. 

• Like 1

I agree with others that I've found the CC events to be a mixed bag. I've done more of them on RCI than X, but some of the same considerations.

Smaller groups are generally better, and people in the smaller groups tend to mingle more. If there are a lot of CC members onboard, there tends to be more 'clustering' for lack of a better term, and I've found it not unusual to have large family groups or large groups from the same area, or just groups of people who've sailed together and know each other. Nothing wrong with any of that, but it doesn't always lend itself to getting to know people. And we're probably not joiners.

I've been to some (probably RCI, not X, but could be the same) where there's a second or third level hotel officer, deputy assistant to the assistant activities manager, coffee, pastries, OJ, and water. A few words to the group, a drawing for door prizes, and then it just breaks up. I've also had the CD show up and the event last for a half hour or more. It depends.

On the other hand, we've had better luck with roll calls, and successfully arranged transportation from London to Harwich a few years back for a RCI sailing. And we met people in the Diamond Lounge on RCI, and in Michaels the one sailing we did a Sky Suite on X.

16 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We still join our roll calls, but no longer bother with the meet & greet. Curiously, none of ours have ever held a cabin crawl IIRC, but between CC and YouTube, I think we've seen all the cabins we might be interested in. 

After reading the various posts , I might go to a Roll Call gathering and " scout " who's who. 

Not interested in gift exchanges , rah rah Celebrity chants , making small talk with the CD and 15 Jr. Officers  who could care less where we're from or how many cruises we've been on , getting an extra raffle ticket for a chance to win a photo with the Captain, or a glass of bubbly . Then on leaving the meeting there are bound to be 4 massage techs offering a Free 5 minute massage including a 22 minute " explanation '' on why your muscles are so tight blah, blah blah and offer a 10 % discount on any port day.

Ya think I been on too many cruises ?????

• Haha 1

I’ve done quite a few of the MeetnGreets. I’ve also done a few of the Gift Exchanges from where you’re from, ‘all of them were if you want to participate’  If you don’t want something that someone put some thought in, just don’t participate. One of the most fun things we ever did was a poker crawl. Yes, I’m a people person & I enjoy meeting those that I’ve chatted with on line. Also have made several life-ling friendships on roll calls. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been to more of these events than I can count!  They vary greatly based on numbers and participants. Rarely do people introduce themselves as a part of a formal program; however, I've seen more than enought passengers try to deminate the mic for announcements and to call attention to themselves. I have found the gatherings to be a complete waste of my time and no longer attend unless friends are there and we can exchange greetings. I suspect that they will be suspended until Covid is under control.

• Like 1

On Celebrity they are called Connections  gatherings..Meet and Greet is used by Royal C

On each of our EDGE cruises we had great attendance by roll call  participants and Captain, officers etc.  Well handled by CDs . Nice party.  Had home made name tags, organized cabin crawls , finalizing excursion groups, organization  of game meet ups., gift exchanges etc

All depends..on some cruises its a dud esp if folks do fb groups instead  or just use it for excursion groups.

But we enjoy going, meeting up with  others  and end up running into folks  at various times during the cruise...for drinks, etc.

Guess it all depends...and who knows how they will be handled in the future 

• Like 1