Will P&O now delay announcements for future cruise pauses?

sidekick180

23 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Happy 2021 everyone. We have 2 cruises booked. One for June and one for next Christmas and New Year. Don.t hold much hope for June but am optimistic for december. Looking at the prices they have increased substantially which is to be expected as the ships will not be sailing at full capacity for the foreseeable future.

We have a river cruise booked for June which I am not over optimistic about, the price for this is 25% less currently. Our Jan 2022 Caribbean is 60% more, there will be millions of pounds floating around in FCC's just waiting to be spent. I read somewhere recently about billions of pounds sat in peoples bank accounts earning next to nothing in interest that people have saved this year.

46 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

My cruise next October for which I paid £1350 pp is now £3099!!

Like many cruises it is P&Os way of controlling  bookings so they never get too full and then have to cancel bookings at a later date if they are only allowed to sail a t a certain percentage full.

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

My cruise next October for which I paid £1350 pp is now £3099!!

I booked an Iona for May Norway cruise last June and 4 days later booked the same itinerary for September and in the 4 days the price had increased £368 for a high deck forward balcony

7 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Welcome to CC and to our forum.

Hope you have a happy and healthy New Year.

Graham.

Happy New Year Graham

And thank you, I have been lurking for a long time and got some excellent advise from you all.

I hope you are feeling a bit better from having  Covid, Take Care.

Amelia

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Amelia Noylam said:

Happy New Year Graham

And thank you, I have been lurking for a long time and got some excellent advise from you all.

I hope you are feeling a bit better from having  Covid, Take Care.

Amelia

Thanks Amelia.

I am better now.

Take care and stay safe.

Nice to see you posting too.

Graham.

6 minutes ago, Castle25 said:

Whatever P&O were thinking of doing, it has just been pushed back by at least 3 months....

I disagree, if anything a lockdown to suppress the new variant will get us closer to a start date. It’s got to get worse to get better. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, joeecco said:

I disagree, if anything a lockdown to suppress the new variant will get us closer to a start date. It’s got to get worse to get better. 

This new lockdown is certainly needed I agree. The new cruise start date though will be much further into the future. 

Avril

• Like 3

On 12/31/2020 at 9:02 PM, Amelia Noylam said:

Hi Everyone 

Positive thoughts for 2021, but realistically lets start booking the cruises for 2022.

Happy New Year

Welcome. Positive thoughts always welcome. We have 2 booked for 2021.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nosapphire said:

and with impeccable timing, the CLIA have asked the UK Government to "set up a clear timeline for the resumption of cruising from UK waters".

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5803/

I just wonder how many people will be confident enough to cruise in the near future.  We have one cruise booked with a final payment date in February but we will not be going on it.  We are hoping that Princess will cancel before payment date but we accept that we are likely to lose our deposit which was only £100 for 2 of us so not a big deal.

We were talking about this last night and feel that even with the vaccine we won't be booking anything before 2022.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I just wonder how many people will be confident enough to cruise in the near future.  We have one cruise booked with a final payment date in February but we will not be going on it.  We are hoping that Princess will cancel before payment date but we accept that we are likely to lose our deposit which was only £100 for 2 of us so not a big deal.

We were talking about this last night and feel that even with the vaccine we won't be booking anything before 2022.

I’d cruise tomorrow. (If we were not in new lockdown) 😂

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nosapphire said:

and with impeccable timing, the CLIA have asked the UK Government to "set up a clear timeline for the resumption of cruising from UK waters".

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5803/

Hmmm, not the most timely point to request a removal of the blanket FCO advice not to cruise, what with the situation being worse than last March! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I moved both my remaining cruises well into 2022, a couple of months ago.

After seeing everything that has happened since, I am completely comfortable that it was the right decision for me.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hmmm, not the most timely point to request a removal of the blanket FCO advice not to cruise, what with the situation being worse than last March! 

Have to disagree - for most of the country the current lockdown is not vastly that much different to the tier 4 anyway. The huge difference now is a timeline has been set out for vaccinating the most vulnerable as its this area that is the issue re the NHS. (whever thats achievable based on this administrations track record is a debate for another forum)

I doubt we will see anything regarding international cruising until autumn - but even to reach that a timeline has to be put in place to allow mid to late spring blue/scenic/test cruising ; UK only and resident only - otherwise the autumn season will not take place either.. Its only when a timeline is put in place that we will see companies stop selling fantasy cruises that cant possibly take place.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Depends how you view it. Last March we didn't have any vaccines or any light at the end of the tunnel. 

Hospital occupancy is higher than the April peak and more hospital admissions are already ‘baked in’ due to the high level of current infections.

the next few months are going to be very dark, just seems to be totally inappropriate to consider lifting the FCO cruising advice at this time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joeecco said:

I’d cruise tomorrow. (If we were not in new lockdown) 😂

We should have been on Arcadia right now.....Grrrrrrr......

Watched a recording of Cruising with Jane yesterday.  And a recording of Mighty Cruise Ships (Norwegian Joy in Alaska - amazing) today to make up for it 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Hospital occupancy is higher than the April peak and more hospital admissions are already ‘baked in’ due to the high level of current infections.

the next few months are going to be very dark, just seems to be totally inappropriate to consider lifting the FCO cruising advice at this time. 

I don't think the suggestion is that the cruise ban is lifted now. But it would be silly for the cruise lines to not try and plan for the future. If they don't, they could well find they have no business left. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976
Typo
  • Like 7