Covid is over now What ???

BCCRUSINGCOUPLE

So i got thinking as Covid will come to a end what will this look like for Princess and the cruise ship industry as we know it.   My feelings on the subject once we start sailing again with less ships and I feel much more demand I think the days of good deals might be gone for sometime I feel the cruise lines will be able to get top dollar as when we look on how many ships went to the scrap yard this will be supply and demand situration what are you thoughts. 

if that is so i and a lot of folks will find other ways to see the world i like cruising as if worked right it is a great deal, avoiding to overpriced profit centers like "art auctions" ship sponsored tours on and on. my concern is the cruise lines will try a money grab as other corporations will try a short term rather then rebuilding their business and playing the long game

Prices will go up with demand, but we currently have everything we need booked through 2022. Hopefully, by the time we start looking at 2023/2024, things will be back to normal. If not, we can always put a small deposit down with hopes that the prices will drop at a later date. That's the one unique thing about cruising, small deposits and plenty of time to pay the balance off. You can't do that with resorts or airfare!

• Like 4

Inclined to think Covid will go the way of the 1918 Spanish flu. It will stick around for years but people will stop dying from it. Even if wrong on that, historically, people restarted their lives quickly in 1919 and 1920. They wanted to forget war and disease and move forward.  Nowadays, people want to stew in their juices. Is the industry tainted in people's minds? Time will tell.

Our next cruise just went up US$250/pp for our cabin type. We booked with FCD, lots of FCC and OBC. Multiply that by many with cancelled sailings and initially, cruises will not be moneymakers. Prices are going up.  Once the pent-up demand is met and credits are used, prices will settle by supply and demand.

• Like 2

Just as @mtnesterz and @Tak8pointed out, my future cruises have jumped while OBC directly from Princess is much less or not at all:

>Australia 12/21: booked 4598 with 100 OBC, now 4998 and no OBC

>CA Coastal 4/22: booked 729 and received 200 OBC, now 779 no OBC

>Pacific NW 4/22: booked 2208 with 300 OBC, now 2898 no OBC

>TA 9/21: booked 4598 and 700 OBC, now 4998 no OBC

>Australia to Asia 3/23: no change

Its going to be interesting for sure. We've got June 2022 British Isles booked and as soon as 2023 Caribbean sailings are out we're booking one to hold the price. My personal belief is that prices will continue to be good until Winter 2022-2023 if the vaccines take hold like they are supposed to. Time will tell.

A lot of folks have mentioned prices going up from when they booked a cabin.  Isn't that common if cabins get booked very early in the process...less supply so prices go up...unless they have a problem filling the remaining cabins as the sale date gets closer and then prices go back down?  Would make sense to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Inclined to think Covid will go the way of the 1918 Spanish flu. It will stick around for years but people will stop dying from it. Even if wrong on that, historically, people restarted their lives quickly in 1919 and 1920. They wanted to forget war and disease and move forward.  Nowadays, people want to stew in their juices. Is the industry tainted in people's minds? Time will tell.

Yes stew in their juices and then make a claim against anybody somebody for compensation as is todays litigious society where theres blame theres a claim 🙄☹ sadly the lawyers will find something and the end of cheap cruises will be a certainty as companies try to find money to pay claims I can hear the cash registers now. 

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The cruise lines will have to get the money from somewhere to pay for installing the infrastructure the CDC is demanding.  Some of that can be quite expensive.

I expect that since there are few to no cruises, lots of FCC, and a set of people that want to cruise no matter what, they might as well lock in as high of prices as they can get.  After all they can always lower the prices once more supply in on line.

Same as any other business supply and demand.  

I expect prices to start out high then drop back to the range that they were at prior to COVID once full supply is back running.

I feel Covid is far from over.... fourth wave in europe.... india  passes US for most infections in a day

here in Australia states are still opening and closing like a merry-go-round.....

Vaccination slow.... the cruise draw is closed...... Now talk here Travel Bubble with NZ is off for cruises until 22-23 season.....  and My thought is the 21-22 season just local is shaky.   

so along with prices going up, unsure of product ( restrictions etc ) ...

Cruising is more and more looking like a been there done that thing....

So back to road trips......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Cruising is more and more looking like a been there done that thing....So back to road trips......

Don't know how it was down under in the early '60's, but in the States, family driving vacations were the thing. Already there is a buying boom here on what we call the Recreational Vehicle (RV) market. You might call them a Caravan or Class A, not sure of terms. You may be right, but I hope not.

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

Don't know how it was down under in the early '60's, but in the States, family driving vacations were the thing. Already there is a buying boom here on what we call the Recreational Vehicle (RV) market. You might call them a Caravan or Class A, not sure of terms. You may be right, but I hope not.

Started "Road Trips" with parent in the 60's stopping at motels, then start my our in the 70's. camping etc... then move on to Motels and Cottages, etc...   Having nowhere to park an RV or Caravan... did not go in that direction .

They look amazing... but not forus... and camping has stopped it is for the young people  and we are more into comfort now.....

I agreed   I hope cruising will get back to a product we know..... But at the moment from where we stand... don't see it, happening this year.. and unsure about next year...

the other point of supply and demand, along with generally booking a year in advance,  but the time thing start, it could be a couple years before we get on a ship.... and at the moment  don't wish to plan a holiday that far ahead......

Don

I have to agree with "getting older slowly". With my dentist still geared up like an alien in disguise, as well as the assistants, Civic is still here and cruising is not really back. When things get going again, it will be the usual concept of supply and demand. One of our booked cruises has increased in price but I have a feeling of will be canceled (late September 2021).

49 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Covid is over now What ???

Where in the world is "Covid Over"?   Tell that to the thousands who are still catching it every day.

You forgot to mention people are still dying from Covid. 
Tony

• Like 5