Thoughts on the Jewel?

Wife and I (both 50) are considering a Caribbean cruise on the Jewel of the Seas in December. I know the ship hasn't been refurbished in a while, but wondering what people think of the ship in general. Is there a place for adults only (solarium) on this ship? I like the smaller size (seems to be similar passenger count to the Celebrity Solstice). Any pointers or feedback (and yes, I have read some of the CC reviews)? Much appreciated...

I was on the Jewel for 16 nights in Nov/Dec. 2019 for a Suez Canal cruise. The ship was just fine and we

enjoyed our cruise immensely. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on her again. BTW, the ship is comparable to Celebrity's M Class in size and age.

Edited by kwokpot

Jewel is one of our favorites. Prefect size. Yes there is a solarium and solarium bar. We like the Schooner bar on the Jewel. No ice rink so Quest is held in the Safari Club. We like the Diamond Lounge location.  No Promenade Deck. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5

I'm interested in people's thoughts also.

We booked Jewel next summer for b2b Arctic Circle and then Iceland/Ireland, total 24 nights. While I'm sure it's fine for 12 nights. I'm a little bit concerned about 24. I've never been on a Radiance class, just Voyager & Oasis classes (oh, and 3 night Majesty many years ago). These are replacements for cancelled cruises from this summer, (one was Fjords), which were replacements for other cancelled cruises, including a combined Fjords & Iceland. Anyway, by the time we booked, the only JS left were deck 10 (I guess they are all on Deck 10), under Windjammer. They don't get the best reviews. Most rooms on deck 10 seem to have noise complaints, but that's apparently where all the JS & GS are.

I had a JS on jewel but dont remember the deck. We spent a lot of time in the cabin. I took a gf I've known many years and we sat out on the big balcony and caught up mostly. We had a couple of arm chairs as I remember, not a sofa. Big bathtub that was a big step up to get into. We liked the cabin and had no complaints.

The schooner bar was big my cruise. Seemed like a big gathering place. We also loved the glass elevator that was mid ship. Ship a little disconnected the way the elevators were to me, but very beautiful. One of the most beautiful ive been on.

O

The Radiance class is also a favorite of ours...the longest on Jewel specifically was our 12 nighter Scandinavia/Russia.

We're also booked on Jewel for the Arctic Circle and hoping to add the British Isles and so sorry I didn't book both of these at the same time when the schedule opened.

Unfortunately the suites are on deck 10 but we've had the #1100 & #1602 a few times and had no complaints with the location.

I'm also booked on the Serenade Oct 2022 for the Panama Canal a 13 nighter....and wouldn't hesitate to book anything on this class of ship....for us it's all about the itinerary.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2

We love this class of ships. Booked on her for a 6 nt followed by a 14 nt TA in April 2022.  Spent 5 weeks on the Radiance sailing around Australia last year until New Zealand decided to close its ports and we had to fly home.  We have sailed Brilliance and Serenade also.  No problems.  Enjoyed the Solarium, which is fully covered.   My dh likes the engine system (can't explain it).  There's lots of glass and a really nice layout.

3 hours ago, killsport said:

Wife and I (both 50) are considering a Caribbean cruise on the Jewel of the Seas in December. I know the ship hasn't been refurbished in a while, but wondering what people think of the ship in general. Is there a place for adults only (solarium) on this ship? I like the smaller size (seems to be similar passenger count to the Celebrity Solstice). Any pointers or feedback (and yes, I have read some of the CC reviews)? Much appreciated...

I like this class for Europe but would much prefer something larger for Caribbean, voyager or freedom class or larger has way more entertainment, love there ice show , also more food options. 

Also a favourite, the detractors will note no Promenade compared to all the bigger classes.  

The solarium is great with the retractable roof, the location of Schooner and the couple of restaurants in the same area is ideal.  Lot of glass and crew/pass ratio used to be slightly better than the big ships too

We were on the Jewel for 42 days in 2019, and it as a cruise of a lifetime!  Loved the ship, loved the crew, and I find the size perfect for long cruises.

We started in San Diego, went to Mexico, Panama Canal, turnaround day in Miami, Transatlantic to Civitavecchia, and then the Greek Isles, Dubrovnik, and Kotor, then back to Civitavecchia.  Love that ship!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

We booked Jewel next summer for b2b Arctic Circle and then Iceland/Ireland, total 24 nights. While I'm sure it's fine for 12 nights. I'm a little bit concerned about 24. I've never been on a Radiance class, just Voyager & Oasis classes (oh, and 3 night Majesty many years ago). These are replacements for cancelled cruises from this summer, (one was Fjords), which were replacements for other cancelled cruises, including a combined Fjords & Iceland. Anyway, by the time we booked, the only JS left were deck 10 (I guess they are all on Deck 10), under Windjammer. They don't get the best reviews. Most rooms on deck 10 seem to have noise complaints, but that's apparently where all the JS & GS are.

36 minutes ago, pcur said:

We were on the Jewel for 42 days in 2019, and it as a cruise of a lifetime!  Loved the ship, loved the crew, and I find the size perfect for long cruises.

We started in San Diego, went to Mexico, Panama Canal, turnaround day in Miami, Transatlantic to Civitavecchia, and then the Greek Isles, Dubrovnik, and Kotor, then back to Civitavecchia.  Love that ship!!

I was on this cruise with Peggy, except I boarded in Miami and did RT Panama Canal, for a total of 57 nights, (plus I have cruised on the Jewel for some individual cruises) and I love the Jewel.  I certainly would not hesitate to sail her again, for any length of time.

🙂 

• Like 2

We very much enjoy all of the Radiance Class ships.  Although a bit smaller it does compare well with the Solstice.  As mentioned the Solarium is basically adult only. (16+)  It is one of the better Schooner Bar setups on Royal ships.

This is my favourite class of ship. We've done a TA on Jewel and a 7 night in Feb 2020, one of the last cruises (I did a live review at the time if you want to search).

This class is similar to Celebrity Millenium class (not Solstice) which we also like. I've stayed on deck 10 on Brilliance, we had the aft corner GS under the Windjammer and heard no noise. I've also stayed in a GS further forward under the pool deck, heard a little noise daily early mornings but not enough to bother us.

We have Radiance booked for Australia next year.

• Like 1

My favourite ship. Been on her 5 times. Just booked a 6th. Love her light and curves ( and the fact she doesn’t have a Promenade!). Elegant dining room, glass lifts, great CL with outside seating. The aft Safari Bar with full width windows is great to watch the wake with a drink. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, killsport said:

Any pointers or feedback (and yes, I have read some of the CC reviews)? Much appreciated...

8 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Anyway, by the time we booked, the only JS left were deck 10 (I guess they are all on Deck 10), under Windjammer. They don't get the best reviews. Most rooms on deck 10 seem to have noise complaints, but that's apparently where all the JS & GS are.

My favorite -- very much enjoyed sailing with Jewel (2) and Radiance (2, same class).

To @RobInMN -- I suggest monitoring the cabins' inventory daily -- people are cancelling, or changing, or upgrading, or downgrading... just be patient.

I can highly recommend the cabins on the starboard hump (#8594, #8596, etc.)

We've been on the Jewel 5 times and love this ship.  Our longest was a 14 night through the Panama Canal, all others 7 nights.  It's a good size, the solarium is very nice I wouldn't hesitant booking another cruise on the Jewel. 

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

The Radiance class is also a favorite of ours...the longest on Jewel specifically was our 12 nighter Scandinavia/Russia.

We're also booked on Jewel for the Arctic Circle and hoping to add the British Isles and so sorry I didn't book both of these at the same time when the schedule opened.

Unfortunately the suites are on deck 10 but we've had the #1100 & #1602 a few times and had no complaints with the location.

I'm also booked on the Serenade Oct 2022 for the Panama Canal a 13 nighter....and wouldn't hesitate to book anything on this class of ship....for us it's all about the itinerary.

Looks like they hve 1100 listed as a JS now

4 hours ago, kernow said:

I've stayed on deck 10 on Brilliance, we had the aft corner GS under the Windjammer and heard no noise.

So glad to see this. Our first RC cruise will be April 2022 and we are booked under Windjammer as well. We can't wait!

We've done a 14 night TA on Jewel, and 11 night Southern Caribbean on Serenade and a 12 night Mediterranean on Brilliance. The Radiance Class sisters are my favorite ships in the fleet. If you're not looking for a Promenade, Flowrider, Zip Line, etc. this is the best class of ship. I do enjoy all of those things, but it just doesn't feel like a boat. To me, it feels like you're at a floating resort. The Radiance class with all of the glass for outward views feels like a ship. I've never felt like I was on an old boat that Royal just keeps around for the hell of it. We have another 14 night TA on Jewel scheduled for 2022. I agree with Dani above, that hump cabins 8594/8596 are excellent cabins in a prime location. The aft cabins are also very desirable with large balconies. While I've never been on deck 10, your concerns have been brought up many times on CC regarding noise from above.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

My favorite -- very much enjoyed sailing with Jewel (2) and Radiance (2, same class).

To @RobInMN -- I suggest monitoring the cabins' inventory daily -- people are cancelling, or changing, or upgrading, or downgrading... just be patient.

I can highly recommend the cabins on the starboard hump (#8594, #8596, etc.)

I actually had 8592 booked on my original Fjord & Iceland cruise (also Jewel) that was cancelled. But now with the double points offer, the JS will be 96 C&A points (24 x 4), which will put us at D+ 🙂.

I keep looking, and there's only a few JS that seem to keep coming into play. One is the obstructed corner, and the others are still under WJ. But looks like if they aren't under WJ, they're under the pool deck, and so far no one responding here has any complaints, so probably just fine where we are at. Plus we currently have the same room for the b2b.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, little britain said:

My favourite ship. Been on her 5 times. Just booked a 6th. Love her light and curves ( and the fact she doesn’t have a Promenade!). Elegant dining room, glass lifts, great CL with outside seating. The aft Safari Bar with full width windows is great to watch the wake with a drink. 

I agree jewel and her sister ship are our favorites.  Love this class ship.  Perfect size.  Great location for chops and giovannis as well as DL with nice lounge/bar for overflow.    Love the outdoor seating of Wj too.  

• Like 1