HELP! CPAP Machine Question

We are traveling to Barcelona in September of 2022 and then boarding the Allure of the Seas.  My wife just recently started using a CPAP machine.  We are concerned about how to get distilled water through TAS at the airport.  We realize we we can buy water once we get there...just wasn't looking to make that our first stop.  Not sure if distilled water is available onboard either.  Thanks 😲

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JoTerricruise said:

We are traveling to Barcelona in September of 2022 and then boarding the Allure of the Seas.  My wife just recently started using a CPAP machine.  We are concerned about how to get distilled water through TAS at the airport.  We realize we we can buy water once we get there...just wasn't looking to make that our first stop.  Not sure if distilled water is available onboard either.  Thanks 😲

You can take some in your carry-on and more in your checked bag.  LABEL the containers as medically necessary distilled water for CPAP usage.  Take it out of your carry-on at security.  Print this page out and put it in your checked bag, and have it at security:  https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, soremekun said:

The water from the bathroom faucet on the cruise ship works flawlessly for the CPAP.  I no longer ask for distilled water.

I don't know what they do to the water but it's great for the CPAP machine.

The desalination process on board results in purified water that is almost indistinguishable from distilled water or on some ships is, in fact, distilled.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Most of these comments are incorrect. Complete the special needs form. Your reservation will be noted. The cabin steward will bring you distilled water and an extension cord.

Please let us know what is incorrect.

• Like 3

Send in the request...or we've found it easier to just have the request for distilled water and extension cord added to our reservation booking....never had a problem. Only once was it not there and our cabin steward brought it within a few minutes.

• Like 1

Use the special needs form and you will have distilled water in your stateroom and a extension cord if you request one.  If not in your stateroom just comment to your room steward and they will get it for you.  

Also PLEASE carry on your CPAP machine.  You do not want any medical equipment to go missing or be damaged… others may say don’t worry but I can’t sleep if I don’t have it.  This comment also includes airports!  

• Like 1

My husband has used a CPAP machine on at least 10 of our questions.  No need to fill out a special needs form.  When you book your cruise, just tell the agent and it’ll be noted.  If the water and extension cord isn’t in your stateroom when you board, ask your attendant and he’ll bring it to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

Just contact royal and tell them you have a cpap.  They'll put a note in the reservation.  When you get to your stateroom, you should find a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord already there.

I can confirm this. Easy peasy.

7 hours ago, JoTerricruise said:

I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea in October 2013.On a cruise in December 2013 I called the cruise line and advised that I required Distilled Water. It was in my cabin waiting for me.When I needed more I told my Cabin Steward and it was there almost immediately.

I never had a problem in the future.

14 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

The desalination process on board results in purified water that is almost indistinguishable from distilled water or on some ships is, in fact, distilled.

While the water, as produced is either distilled water, or from an RO unit (not quite distilled quality), there is also the option that the ship took on water in port.  Also, all of the water produced onboard has calcium carbonate added to regulate the acidity of the distilled water, as well as the chlorine added for sanitation reasons, so what comes from the tap is not distilled any more.  We did, however, frequently get requests for distilled water, and if the ship is at sea, we would fill a passenger's gallon jug straight from the evaporator.

To use the tap water in a CPAP, fill a jug or pitcher and let it sit open for 8 hours or so, and the chlorine will dissipate.  The small amount of hardness in the water from the carbonate or a percentage of shore water will just mean that you need to clean the CPAP more frequently to remove the scale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

You can also buy a bottle of Smart Water in the airport if you need to use it right away. I've found that hotels overseas usually do not have distilled water, if you happen to be flying in the day before.  I was in Chile last year (pre Covid) and bought a bottle in JFK, and it got me through until I could find a bottle of distilled in the area I was in.  Not easy to find everywhere, crazy as it sounds! 

Contact the cruise line... they always provide the distilled water for my husband and an extension cord... We always find it waiting in our cabin.... no need to bring your own. We have been doing this on cruises for a number of years and have never had a problem... we sail Royal and Celebrity.... but you should call ahead....they will add it to the information that relates to your cruise.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JoTerricruise said:

My wife does not use water and is not always necessary for short periods.  But if you do use water, say for a short layover someplace, you can just use regular bottled water for a day or two if you needed to.  I would not carry my own water on a plane....too much wait and hassle.  The ship, will supply you with a gallon, just fill out the special needs form.  Ask the Dr if the water is necessary for short days, like one or two days.  Also, you can buy a secondary CPAP without a water supply for travels.....they are cheaper than you think and well worth the money.  I think ours was only $150.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Also, you can buy a secondary CPAP without a water supply for travels.....they are cheaper than you think and well worth the money.  I think ours was only $150.  

Cheapest I've seen is $350-400.  If you can maybe post a link of the one you got for $150, that would be fantastic!

• Like 2

My husband has a CPAP and as noted above, he  always completes the special needs form and they provide the distilled water and extension cord (if needed). I believe Allure has plugs in the headboard so there is no need for an extension cord.  He always carries his CPAP with him on the plane And it does not count as one of your carryons, since it’s medically necessary. 

7 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Cheapest I've seen is $350-400.  If you can maybe post a link of the one you got for $150, that would be fantastic!

Search APEX Medical XT fit travel CPAP and it sells for $249.00.  The price went up for what my wife has.  Resmed Compact S8 CPAP 33030 is $179.00.  One of the tough items is that you really need to shop, because the price can greatly range.  The CPAP is medical, so prices are always jacked up.  So for the similar one we have it is $249 but I saw it for as much as $600.  It's not exactly the same model. The one we have works both on 110 and 240v.  Just a side note, this is not the one she uses at home.  

Edited by Joseph2017China