Four positive cases on Silhouette

Sussex Cruiser

Just disembarked this morning.  The Captain announced yesterday that they had four positive cases on board, consisting of 1 passenger and 3 crew members (who are all vaccinated).  It came a few hours after they were doing the pre-disembarkation testing of the under 18's, although there was no information about whether the passenger was under 18 or not.  Though, it wouldn't suprise me as the adherance to mask wearing by almost every single child was non-existent, and there was zero enforcement by the crew.

I wonder how many more will test positive in the next few days now.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

Just disembarked this morning.  The Captain announced yesterday that they had four positive cases on board, consisting of 1 passenger and 3 crew members (who are all vaccinated).  It came a few hours after they were doing the pre-disembarkation testing of the under 18's, although there was no information about whether the passenger was under 18 or not.  Though, it wouldn't suprise me as the adherance to mask wearing by almost every single child was non-existent, and there was zero enforcement by the crew.

I wonder how many more will test positive in the next few days now.

I do wonder about the unvaccinated  children as carriers. Did they require a pre boarding PRC test on your cruise?

Was mask compliance generally good amongst adults?

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I do wonder about the unvaccinated  children as carriers. Did they require a pre boarding PRC test on your cruise?

Was mask compliance generally good amongst adults?

I agree.     I love my grandchildren but they are just cute petri dishes.  

In a recent per-cruise letter from Celebrity they have this -

All unvaccinated children 6 months to 11 years old will require a complimentary Covid-19 test at the terminal. Registration is required prior to arrival at terminal. A link will be provided via email to the unvaccinated guest.

• Like 4

We were on the cruise before this one. There were 90-odd children out of 1,000ish passengers - so nearly 10%. As the OP says, mask wearing amongst the over 11s who were meant to be wearing them was non-existent and there was zero enforcement by the crew. I think they were tested periodically and we didn't hear of any positive cases whilst we were on board which was lucky. This lack of mask wearing by children was probably my biggest gripe from the cruise. Mask wearing by adults was pretty close to 100% and the crew ALWAYS wore them both inside and outside on the decks where they were optional for passengers.

• Like 1

I just read that Crystal cruises had 3 passengers testing positive and had to quarantine in Nassau. A real nightmare for Viking in Iceland. Those that were contact traced from a tour bus with a positive passenger all had to test and disembark to fly home even when negative. Iceland new rules.

Just something we will all have to live with from now on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EdinburghTim said:

As the OP says, mask wearing amongst the over 11s who were meant to be wearing them was non-existent and there was zero enforcement by the crew.

I agree that the crew should have enforced mask compliance, but the parents should have been monitoring (and correcting) their own children. I’m happy to hear most adults were wearing masks. I hope you had a lovely holiday, despite everything. Silhouette is one of my favorite ships.

3 hours ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

Though, it wouldn't suprise me as the adherance to mask wearing by almost every single child was non-existent, and there was zero enforcement by the crew.

All children had to have a negative PCR 3 days before boarding  then a lateral flow on boarding and again before disembarkation. I understood that the staff were the contacts, but maybe I was incorrect. The Captain stated that contacts tested negative.

I saw many children with masks on, but around their neck.

Many adults also went into the theatre with a drink, so therefore didn’t wear their masks. 
There were zero staff monitoring the mask wearing. 
In fact I never saw staff in the theatre, in the past they used to reserve seats for Suite passengers.

There were also many passengers who couldn’t count, We were asked to leave 2 seats between different parties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately the UK Government is being pretty lame about 12-15 year olds being vaccinated.  As yet have not given the go ahead as COVID not perceived a clinical risk for them (though a fair number will be getting Long COVID). I imagine this will change as they are spreaders! 

I am travelling on Silhouette in September and anticipate only a few pre- schoolers who I will avoid (no change there).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

With school starting in most parts of the U.S, can we expect less children on board?

I'm on Silhouette on 28th Aug which as well as being a bank holiday here is also the last week of the of the school holidays .

It's a bit concerning that the crew (or parents) are not monitoring or inforcing the covid rules.  I guess children rarely have enough viral load to spread covid and hope that the testing regime picks up any positive cases 

• Like 1

Children seem to be getting a rough deal in this thread but please remember that in the U.K. if they’re in secondary school they’ve probably worn masks far more often than adults have in the past few months having had to wear them in schools. I know in my school it’s been hard work reminding students to wear their masks but they have had to wear them in class and on corridors all day. On wet days where they can’t go outside it means that it’s been around 6-7 hours non-stop except when they’re eating or drinking. I’m sure most adults haven’t had to do this day in day out for months so you can understand why children are probably more reluctant to wear their mask whilst on holiday particularly knowing that for some schools they will be enforcing mask-wearing again when they go back in September. 

I totally appreciate that adults and children alike should be wearing masks but you will never have 100% of people wearing their masks 100% of the time. You’ve only got to go into a supermarket where they want you to wear masks but a lot of people don’t. Personally, take responsibility for yourself and don’t worry about what others are doing. You are on holiday so enjoy yourself. There will always be cases of Covid in the same way that there have been cases of norovirus etc. on cruise ships but I’m sure the latter hasn’t swayed your decision to not go on a cruise 😀

• Like 3

Why make excuses for people not wearing masks, regardless of age? 

Why make excuses for crew not enforcing mask wearing.

I think posting cases on these forums by ship is very worth while. This gives all of us a feel for what is going on. 

UK or US, this affects us all. This is a world problem that is getting worse. 

This is not a Dress Code issue.

We should all follow the rules on this subject. 

Stay Safe! 

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

I’m really starting to appreciate Celebrity’s new protocol of requiring everyone over the age of 2 to provide a negative PCR/antigen test prior embarking on a cruise out of Florida, especially with the new Delta variant spreading so quickly. Not sure if they have extended it to Seattle yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I’m really starting to appreciate Celebrity’s new protocol of requiring everyone over the age of 2 to provide a negative PCR/antigen test prior embarking on a cruise out of Florida, especially with the new Delta variant spreading so quickly. Not sure if they have extended it to Seattle yet.

Yes we will be sailing out of Seattle.  Same testing requirement there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

I am travelling on Silhouette in September and anticipate only a few pre- schoolers who I will avoid (no change there).

We are also on Silhouette end of Sep 2021. I am expecting a few small children under 5 (will also avoid as much as possible), but I hope for a quieter cruise of around 50% capacity.

36 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Why make excuses for people not wearing masks, regardless of age? 

Why make excuses for crew not enforcing mask wearing.

This is not a Dress Code issue.

We should all follow the rules on this subject. 

Stay Safe! 

I agree, it's all our health and wellbeing  that is the issue,   plus the ongoing successful cruise programme 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I agree, it's all our health and wellbeing  that is the issue,   plus the ongoing successful cruise programme 

Thank you! As you may remember, we had to close all the curtains, lights out and wear a mask of we had one. We didn't complain. We all tried to help each other. My Shout! Have a pint on me.

Stay Safe Mate!

• Like 1

Those are not the first cases and won´t be the last.

It only shows that the protocols work. 

We´ll be sailing on Apex soon. Vaccinated, tested, with masks and distancing... I will be feeling safer than anywhere on land.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, phoenix1975 said:

Children seem to be getting a rough deal in this thread but please remember that in the U.K. if they’re in secondary school they’ve probably worn masks far more often than adults have in the past few months having had to wear them in schools. I know in my school it’s been hard work reminding students to wear their masks but they have had to wear them in class and on corridors all day. On wet days where they can’t go outside it means that it’s been around 6-7 hours non-stop except when they’re eating or drinking. I’m sure most adults haven’t had to do this day in day out for months so you can understand why children are probably more reluctant to wear their mask whilst on holiday particularly knowing that for some schools they will be enforcing mask-wearing again when they go back in September. 

I totally appreciate that adults and children alike should be wearing masks but you will never have 100% of people wearing their masks 100% of the time. You’ve only got to go into a supermarket where they want you to wear masks but a lot of people don’t. Personally, take responsibility for yourself and don’t worry about what others are doing. You are on holiday so enjoy yourself. There will always be cases of Covid in the same way that there have been cases of norovirus etc. on cruise ships but I’m sure the latter hasn’t swayed your decision to not go on a cruise 😀

I can understand this posters point of view.  I am not at all sure I would take unvaccinated kids on a cruise for their holiday.  A vacation that involved open air outside activites might be more fun for them at this point.  Most kids on cruises are not with their parents during the day and can therefore do as they wish.