The Daily for Tuesday August 31, 2021

richwmn

Good morning everyone.  At least it is still morning here!  Have already been to the grocery store to get some food in this house now that I have returned.  Interesting collection of days!  My prayers for all those on the care list, and a toast to those with good news.!  

In response to queries from yesterday, I though there was too much repetition on the evening menu for a 7-day cruise.  Also, there was only time that a waiter even bothered to check for allergies in the Open seating area.  I asked for salmon one night when I couldn't get an answer on the type of fish, and the salmon was decent but way too salty.  Dining room just seemed a little lackadaisical as compared to previous BHB cruises.  Will I go again--YES, in a heartbeat.  Have 3 more BHB cruises booked, although wondering about what will be happening in the next few months.

I can actually see a few puffy clouds in the sky.  Much improved air from my pre-cruise days of smoke filled air.  I have worked post-landfall of some hurricanes, so have complete empathy for those being impacted so severely.  I won't be deploying, as we have several fires that have sprung up, which keeps us busy locally.  

Have a good rest of the day and reach out to brighten the day for others!

• Like 21

I really appreciate all the Rich does for us, but I'm taken aback that he skipped over August 31st's being National Diatomaceous Earth DaySure, it's not got the glamor and prestige of the Trail Mix or Eating Outside, but it's quite useful.

Frankly, I've only ever used it to kill wasps in our garden's rock walls, but according to WebMD:

The ancient Greeks used diatomaceous earth to make building materials, like bricks and blocks. Later on it became popular in Europe for various industrial uses.

When taken by mouth, diatomaceous earth is used as a source of silica, for treating high cholesterol levels, for treating constipation, and for improving the health of skin, nails, teeth, bones, and hair.

When applied to the skin or teeth, diatomaceous earth is used to brush teeth or remove unwanted dead skin cells. (That kind of reads like you'd have dead skin cells on your teeth.)

The odd thing about brushing your teeth with diatomaceous earth, aside from the obvious disgustingness of the the whole affair, is that the package tells you not to inhale it. But go ahead, brush your teeth with it!

Edited by POA1
  • Like 5
  • Haha 19

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Take 2 - the first time I posted it went poof!

Carol, it was very interesting to hear your personal experience while visiting Ishigaki.  Did your tour operator have his own boat or did you utilize a ferry to get to Taketomi?

I'm interested in the figures on the roofs of the buildings.  What is the purpose of placing them there?

We took the ferry across.   Regarding the figures on the roofs, red clay roofs are often decorated with Shisa guardians. The Shisa looks like a cross between a lion and a dog and they protect against evil spirits.

Carol

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

I really appreciate all the Rich does for us, but I'm taken aback that he skipped over August 31st's being National Diatomaceous Earth DaySure, it's not got the glamor and prestige of the Trail Mix or Eating Outside, but it's quite useful.

Frankly, I've only ever used it to kill wasps in our garden's rock walls, but according to WebMD:

The ancient Greeks used diatomaceous earth to make building materials, like bricks and blocks. Later on it became popular in Europe for various industrial uses.

When taken by mouth, diatomaceous earth is used as a source of silica, for treating high cholesterol levels, for treating constipation, and for improving the health of skin, nails, teeth, bones, and hair.

When applied to the skin or teeth, diatomaceous earth is used to brush teeth or remove unwanted dead skin cells. (That kind of reads like you'd have dead skin cells on your teeth.)

The odd thing about brushing your teeth with diatomaceous earth, aside from the obvious disgustingness of the the whole affair, is that the package tells you not to inhale it. But go ahead, brush your teeth with it!

And it's great for deterring slugs and snails!

• Like 11

My alternate menu suggestions are moving from the Crystal Symphony in 2018 to the Crystal Serenity in 2016 (Northwest Passage).  I started doing the regular food collages in 2018 so they will not be included but do have a few random shots.  The menu:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/menu0831.pdf

On August 31 my selections were Chicken consume with Corn Cakes, Roast Turkey Salad with Green beans, Dried Apricots, and Glazed Pecan Nuts, and Blueberry Crumble Tart a la mode.  One of the nice things are about Crystal is that with a day's notice our head waiter will prepare a custom dish.  On this day Jacques prepared Steak Tartare although I did not partake:

jacques.jpg

Here's my Turkey Salad main dish:

tkysalad.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

Thank you for the Daily, the lists, and all the kindness shared on this thread!

I celebrated "Touch a Heart" day by giving blood at the Bloodmobile at my church. A nice young man with a good eye was able to get the needle in on the first try-- always a plus! Plus he was polite enough to listen to my stories of how things have changed over my 50 years of donations!

Then I came home and booked a flight out to Iowa later in September to help my son and DDIL move back to Maryland. Yay!!

• Like 21

5 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good Morning,

A gentle mist fell again earlier, fine weather to grab a coffee and sit on the deck listening to the birds.  I think summer is definitely on its last leg.  

3 days until we leave for downtown Seattle and then the ship.  In the last couple of days I got the fridge cleaned out, and the house is clean (I always like to come home to a clean house), I made my last shopping run this morning mostly for meds we're going to need, nothing worse than being on a ship, days from port and running out of something, so I bring everything. Amazon should be delivering the travel size Prell bottles that I can never seem to find at the store.  But all of this is moot if we don't get the covid tests done tomorrow.  If all goes good there I can meet with my neighbor whose going to keep an eye on the place.

Thanks to all the listers.  Thoughts and prayers to the many that need them today.  @mamaofami a lot of times us stroke patients are hypervigilant mainly out of fear of having another one, perhaps that played a role in the false alarm.  @rafinmd thanks for the shout out @dfish DD and I plan to get caught up on our walking on the ship

I don't do trail mix, it gets stuck in my teeth, and I'm obsessive about my oral hygiene as it is. 

Have a great day everybody!

164401024_unnamed(3).jpg.7fe4a175354520950be42df36f22d746.jpg

Hope everything goes well with your covid19 tests.

Best wishes for a fantastic cruise.

I always take double my usual medication on holiday just in case anything happens unexpectedly.

Graham.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

We took the ferry across.   Regarding the figures on the roofs, red clay roofs are often decorated with Shisa guardians. The Shisa looks like a cross between a lion and a dog and they protect against evil spirits.

Carol

Very clever!  I can see where they would frighten off those evil spirits!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

As a synthetic chemist, I used lots of diatomaceous earth in my career! Now I only get to use it to try to get rid of ants...

• Like 9

I called Brenda this afternoon and she joyfully announced these past two days she has felt like her old self again.  It took her 30 days to get here.  No more dragging herself around the house.  She was excited to be back to doing laundry and loading the dishwasher.  I pray this continues!  🙂

• Like 28

34 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My alternate menu suggestions are moving from the Crystal Symphony in 2018 to the Crystal Serenity in 2016 (Northwest Passage).  I started doing the regular food collages in 2018 so they will not be included but do have a few random shots.  The menu:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/menu0831.pdf

On August 31 my selections were Chicken consume with Corn Cakes, Roast Turkey Salad with Green beans, Dried Apricots, and Glazed Pecan Nuts, and Blueberry Crumble Tart a la mode.  One of the nice things are about Crystal is that with a day's notice our head waiter will prepare a custom dish.  On this day Jacques prepared Steak Tartare although I did not partake:

My choices would be Poached Fresh Mussels, Garden Greens, and Fresh Halibut Filet.   I'll skip dessert in favor of not breaking the scales.  

@StLouisCruisers Wonderful news about Brenda.  Thank you for letting us know.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I always take double my usual medication on holiday just in case anything happens unexpectedly.

Graham.

Graham, thank you for this reminder.  It prompted me about contact lenses.  Heaven forbid there should be a quarantine anywhere along the way, plenty of medication and contacts need to be in the bag.  More than under usual circumstances.  Thanks.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I saw a post that Santa Barbara is cancelling cruise ships until March 2022.  This will impact some posters on this board.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6437/

Catalina Island seems very dicey, too.  There were a bunch of excursions listed and then they were all removed.  It'll be interesting to see if the cruise even goes.  Not many places to stop.

• Like 4

Sorry to be so late. Thanks everyone for the Daily. Son left a motor home at a dealership that just got back to him that it was outside of their knowledge as it was from Japan so it is being towed from Redmond to my place in Chiloquin.  I had to move some stuff and do a little weed eating. Normal town stuff took most of my morning and then planning with the PCC for the weirdest cruise from San Diego ever. Two ports have canceled and he seems to think we will just spend two days in San Francisco.  I wouldn't mind as there is so much there to explore. Oh well, all we can do is hope for cruises and wish for cruises and plan for cruises and if they get canceled, we cry and do it all over again. 

• Like 17

5 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Sorry to be so late. Thanks everyone for the Daily. Son left a motor home at a dealership that just got back to him that it was outside of their knowledge as it was from Japan so it is being towed from Redmond to my place in Chiloquin.  I had to move some stuff and do a little weed eating. Normal town stuff took most of my morning and then planning with the PCC for the weirdest cruise from San Diego ever. Two ports have canceled and he seems to think we will just spend two days in San Francisco.  I wouldn't mind as there is so much there to explore. Oh well, all we can do is hope for cruises and wish for cruises and plan for cruises and if they get canceled, we cry and do it all over again. 

We did a Cal coast one with Celebrity a couple of years ago and they had to cancel Monterey because of high seas, so they took us up to San Francisco early instead.  It was actually quite nice to have the overnight there, as you could enjoy a leisurely meal in the city or what have you.  

I'm trying to make lemonade out of the lemons here, but it was a pleasant cruise back then, and this could be, too.  

• Like 11

We have safely made it home in NW Florida to a over flowing rain gauge and no damage to home. 🙏

Had a celebrity professional golfer Jordan Speith sitting in front of us on the plane. I believe it’s the Fed Ex championship in Atlanta this week. He was a $$$$$ walking advertisement between hat and shirt! Great golfer.

Great time in beautiful Michigan in Lake Charlevoix area. Enjoyed the cooler weather and the homes with beautiful flowering yards!

• Like 19

Very pleasant weather here in the Pacific NW.  Spent the day working at my rental property.  Interesting the things that renters leave when they leave.  I learned about diatomaceous earth, commonly called diatomite when I was a rock hound as a kid near the Columbia River.  There were deposits fifty million years old in the area, along with petrified wood.   Diatoms are a single celled amoeba with a cell wall made of silica.  The silica is what remains after they die after about a week of life.  They convert carbon dioxide to oxygen and are responsible for between 20 and 50% of our earth's oxygen.  We use them for water filters, mild abrasives such as in tooth paste and cat litter.  So we can joke about them, but they are a very serious amoeba that most people have never heard of.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2