When is a suite not a suite?

pete1681

That's where it sometimes pays to do Celebrity in a Sky Suite verse a JS on Royal. They usually aren't all that far off in price especially when you get a premium drink package for 2 included...free internet for 2...tips included plus a combined $600 onboard credit....PLUS full suite perks and the Retreat.

14 hours ago, George C said:

Never heard of a junior suite with two bathrooms, I think I would take that over grand suite.

They were originally called a Spa Jr Suite. We had one on Anthem and loved it.   Anytime we're on Quantum class from now on we'll book one.

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

That's where it sometimes pays to do Celebrity in a Sky Suite verse a JS on Royal. They usually aren't all that far off in price especially when you get a premium drink package for 2 included...free internet for 2...tips included plus a combined $600 onboard credit....PLUS full suite perks and the Retreat.

I agree Celebrity does have good Jr suite perks. Princess suite perks Jr or Full leave a lot to be desired. You a basically paying for a larger room on that line.  Royal Caribbean lies in the middle.

1 hour ago, pete1681 said:

I’ll try to explain what I mean, on Oasis class and above, ships with coastal kitchens, if your a GS guest your key card lets you into CK, a JS guest has to knock and wait to be let in. When trying to make a reservation you’re treated as lower class and they’re doing you a favor be letting you eat there” if space is available “ it leaves a very bad impression. On freedom class you get a larger room and priority boarding not much in my opinion. I like the extra room of a JS .But it’s not a suite. In comparison to Celebrity a sky suite is similar in size to a JS but you get full suite  amenities,a Butler,suite lounge,suite restaurant,all meals, sun deck retreat,helipad sail away,the works. Yes I know it costs more.  But they call it a suite and it is one. That’s all I mean. If you call it a suite then you should be treated as a suite guest period. In my humble opinion.

I can understand your point. I think we both agree that junior suites are more like larger balcony cabins. I guess where we differ is the fact that they call it a suite doesn’t bother me. If I wanted more suite perks, I would get a “real” suite. In my book junior suites are nice because they give you a little more room and they give you double points in normal times (I know things are different right now depending on when you booked your cruise). Another key point is we don’t spend too much time in our cabin, so junior suites are at a good price point based on that. 

• Like 2

Only done a few RC sailings.  I booked the Odyssey when the April 2022 TA’s were announced.   Was told about Coastal Kitchen for dinner but now read that almost impossible to access as low on list for access.   We paid just a small amount over balcony cabin and we are on for 2 weeks.  On the b2b following we move to balcony cabin down the hall as cost was half of JS when we booked a few months later.  

Curious as to how many JS get access for dinner at CK?

10 hours ago, LilBlackDress said:

They have been called a Junior Suite long before The Suite Class Program for Oasis and Quantum Class was started in 2016...
If you book a Grand Suite or above on Freedom Class or smaller you don't have access to Coastal Kitchen, there is no door to knock on, and no way to make reservations for breakfast, lunch or dinner 

~~~~~Ridiculous~~~~~~

When you book a JS or above on Oasis or Quantum Class it states what Suite Class Level you are booking and what is included... Take a few minutes to know what you are booking, before you book! 

I actually prefer the location of some of the JSs over the GS or above. 

Agree...but not only for the location but the category itself over some of the GS on the older ships....I tend to hate that "dry" bar area with the closets behind it.

22 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

For some reason, this isn’t ever a complaint on the Princess equivalent “mini suite” category….why is there all of this perk envy complex with junior suites?

Because Princess full suite perks aren't all that special.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Compare pricing a little closer, I did for a cruise on RCL Allure, in a JS vs X Edge, in a Sky Suite, for the same time period. The Edge was about $160 p.p. per day more. A Grand Suite on the Allure was almost $60 p.p. less than the Edge. The RCL prices included tips. The all mighty drink packages and internet is a nice to have but not necessary for us. The onboard credit is overvalued. The prices onboard are outrageously high, I would take a $150 price reduction rather than the obc.

We tried suites before the pandemic, 14 days in a Grand Suite on the Allure, and 28 days on MSC Seaside, in a YC Deluxe Suite, and they were wonderful and well worth the money. We did 14 days on X Equinox had a nice time but felt like someone stuck a gun in our ribs and robbed us. Just our opinion, if other people feel different I can respect that

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Compare pricing a little closer, I did for a cruise on RCL Allure, in a JS vs X Edge, in a Sky Suite, for the same time period. The Edge was about $160 p.p. per day more. A Grand Suite on the Allure was almost $60 p.p. less than the Edge. The RCL prices included tips. The all mighty drink packages and internet is a nice to have but not necessary for us. The onboard credit is overvalued. The prices onboard are outrageously high, I would take a $150 price reduction rather than the obc.

We tried suites before the pandemic, 14 days in a Grand Suite on the Allure, and 28 days on MSC Seaside, in a YC Deluxe Suite, and they were wonderful and well worth the money. We did 14 days on X Equinox had a nice time but felt like someone stuck a gun in our ribs and robbed us. Just our opinion, if other people feel different I can respect that

I would also give a edge to MSc yacht club we did that on seaside it was totally great, but celebrity suite dining room is way better than yacht club and rccl costal kitchen which we didn’t care for at all.

7 hours ago, George C said:

I would also give a edge to MSc yacht club we did that on seaside it was totally great, but celebrity suite dining room is way better than yacht club and rccl costal kitchen which we didn’t care for at all.

Dinning is a mater of individual taste. We enjoyed Luminae except for it not being open on port days. We enjoyed the Costal Kitchen to the extent that we did a B2B on the Allure and got free dining in Chops both week. We went the first week and skipped the second week because the same food, service, and atmosphere was so much better in Costal Kitchen.

10 hours ago, bajathree said:

I thought that was/is really lame that on Oasis class in a JS you have to knock on the door of CK like you mention. It was much different on Odyssey where the host actually is at a desk outside CK...much better. 

Pins have to knock as well. Is that really lame.🤔

SMH

9 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

Only done a few RC sailings.  I booked the Odyssey when the April 2022 TA’s were announced.   Was told about Coastal Kitchen for dinner but now read that almost impossible to access as low on list for access.   We paid just a small amount over balcony cabin and we are on for 2 weeks.  On the b2b following we move to balcony cabin down the hall as cost was half of JS when we booked a few months later.  

Curious as to how many JS get access for dinner at CK?

Depends on how many Pinnacles sail with you that week😉

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

This seems to be the right thread to admit that I just learned the guy on the front of the Cap'n Crunch cereal boxes isn't really a Captain.

And this captain is a member of the upside down pineapple club

713ioKNf5VL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by soremekun

On 11/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, pete1681 said:

On royal,it’s when it’s a junior suite! For the life of me I don’t know why they even bother to call it one. No suite lounge privilege, coastal kitchen, for dinner only,when space is available,thanks,I paid for a perk and may get it or may not. You have to knock on the coastal kitchen door to be let in and when you try to make reservations it’s “oh,you’re in a Junior suite “. Ridiculous. 
Call it a suite and make it one or call it a large balcony and don’t.

So all of the perks are spelled out and clear and you are paying a small upcharge over balcony but want the service of a suite going for 2x what you pay. You are basically whinning because you don't like the name.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, stuball2500 said:

So all of the perks are spelled out and clear and you are paying a small upcharge over balcony but want the service of a suite going for 2x what you pay. You are basically whinning because you don't like the name.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

• Haha 1

On 11/19/2021 at 7:10 PM, pete1681 said:

On royal,it’s when it’s a junior suite! For the life of me I don’t know why they even bother to call it one. No suite lounge privilege, coastal kitchen, for dinner only,when space is available,thanks,I paid for a perk and may get it or may not. You have to knock on the coastal kitchen door to be let in and when you try to make reservations it’s “oh,you’re in a Junior suite “. Ridiculous. 
Call it a suite and make it one or call it a large balcony and don’t.

It's really no different than some other cruise lines, airlines, hotels, etc.  It's marketing.  Give something a name that's halfway between ordinary and great and many people will pay more.  It makes some people feel more than ordinary, and some less than great.  Caveat emptor.

On 11/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, Jingerwoppy said:

Maybe we can answer the question after the chicken crosses the road and tells us the answer.....

image.thumb.png.e973c17affc13c2277ce96c323dbb086.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Trust me I get it,you get what you pay for. The whole CK experience leaves a bad taste,so to speak. The knocking on the door, the general attitude of the host towards JK guests. It’s totally unnecessary. After being in a sky suite on Celebrity, it opened my eyes to what a suite experience is like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1