WHO advises people 60 or older to postpone travel due to Omicron

bajathree

More info and study results  are  needed 

We are flying to Fl this weekend,. We booked a non stop to shorten trvl exposure, we had 2 shots and a booster and will dbl mask.  

We will follow the facts,,, our cruise is not til next Nov.. hoping for the best!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

More info and study results  are  needed 

We are flying to Fl this weekend,. We booked a non stop to shorten trvl exposure, we had 2 shots and a booster and will dbl mask.  

We will follow the facts,,, our cruise is not til next Nov.. hoping for the best!

An early welcome back to Fl.  We’re off to Venice for a night Thursday.  Please be carefully double masking, breathing is good.😉😀. Katie

Right now there is very little data as to omicron. As always, there is conflicting info about it. The best we can do is to be vaccinated and get the booster. Along with taking precautions with masking, etc. the rest is in God's hands. I agree with alexkrn....can't put the rest of our life on hold. Covid could be with us for years. 

• Like 6

We are in our 70's, have our boosters and will continue to live our life while taking precautions such as masking when in public. We took our chance cruising with Delta in October and will take our chance with the current variant in March unless everything is shut down again. The other alternative is to stay sequestered in our house until we die of some other cause. Sorta like saying give up everything you love to live to be 100. Not for me.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

The other alternative is to stay sequestered in our house until we die of some other cause. Sorta like saying give up everything you love to live to be 100. Not for me.

I agree. There is surely a time to be cautious but also a time where one can become a bit overly paranoid. Fine line between the two I suppose. I'm more than tired of canceling trips. I retired to be able to travel, and have been putting off enough already these past nearly 2 years. 

• Like 9

No mention of risk for those with triple vaccinations who wear masks and social distance. Likely they do not know as there is no experience with managing Omicron.

They need more data but I think they are covering their bases not knowing what will happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, glmacruise said:

Well if Celebrity is requiring vaccines then they shouldn’t let 60 plus on the cruises… 

And why would that be?  

Full disclosure, my wife and I are both over 70 and love to cruise

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, glmacruise said:

Well if Celebrity is requiring vaccines then they shouldn’t let 60 plus on the cruises… 

Well if you provide more context to your , as currently posted, nonsense statement, perhaps we’d have clarity 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Oville said:

An early welcome back to Fl.  We’re off to Venice for a night Thursday.  Please be carefully double masking, breathing is good.😉😀. Katie

Hi katie.

We  are returning to Venice  later than usual  this yr,. Dtr had some surgery,. coming along ok.  We stayed north to help out..first thanksgiving  home in yrs,,..snowflakes and all that..but time to seek the warmth and light!

We only dbl mask on the plane..paper and fabric..agree breathing is good!

Enjoy your visit to Venice..our Happy Place! 

Postpone your life because something exists that we know almost nothing about, while early reports suggest it may be less severe than that which we're living with currently. 

Yeah, ok. 

• Like 7

The safest I have felt since this started was the 2 weeks we spent on the Edge.  The happiest we are is when we are traveling.  We will do what is reasonable  to limit our risk but we won’t live in a bubble in our house.  If the ships are sailing, the countries are open to us we will be doing what we love.

• Like 14

I think that headline that is circulating in mainstream media is a bit misleading. I don’t want to stay home either, I will take the appropriate precautions and live with some risk in order to have a more meaningful existence, including engagement with fellow cruisers !    I went directly to the WHO site, here is the only text I could find on the announcement page that mentions the age 60 guidance, please note the FULL statement they issued  (I put what I think is a key aspect in bold/italics below) :

Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission.

it’s a reasonable recommendation, but I do not interpret that to mean all worldwide international travel to all destinations should be avoided … I’m not the brightest bulb in the light fixture but I interpret as avoid the “hot spots” type of guidance

Edited by cruzer0007
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, cruzer0007 said:

I think that headline that is circulating in mainstream media is a bit misleading. I don’t want to stay home either, I will take the appropriate precautions and live with some risk in order to have a more meaningful existence, including engagement with fellow cruisers !    I went directly to the WHO site, here is the only text I could find on the announcement page that mentions the age 60 guidance, please note the FULL statement they issued  (I put what I think is a key aspect in bold/italics below) :

Persons who are unwell, or who have not been fully vaccinated or do not have proof of previous SARS-CoV-2 infection and are at increased risk of developing severe disease and dying, including people 60 years of age or older or those with comorbidities that present increased risk of severe COVID-19 (e.g. heart disease, cancer and diabetes) should be advised to postpone travel to areas with community transmission.

it’s a reasonable recommendation, but I do not interpret that to mean all worldwide international travel to all destinations should be avoided …

oops no discussion according to the rules. I don't see how to delete.

Edited by mtnlvr53
cannot delete

2 hours ago, cruzer0007 said:

it’s a reasonable recommendation, but I do not interpret that to mean all worldwide international travel to all destinations should be avoided … I’m not the brightest bulb in the light fixture but I interpret as avoid the “hot spots” type of guidance

The most important part is line 1 - not been fully vaccinated - practically everyone on the cruise will have been fully vaccinated. We are mid 70's and good to go. 

• Like 4

Well if I die at sea, please bury me at sea.

I don't trust the WHO who protected China since the beginning.  I don't trust the politicians who want to strike fear into the minds of the people they want to control. I don't believe the numbers the media used to click bait viewers.  Remember when you were told you had to wash your groceries or leave them outside because the virus lived on surfaces?  Yeah right.

I do believe the real doctors (not the fake one on TV).  Even my local Dr. knows more about this than some of the quacks on TV.  I will not live in fear. I'm a member of the triple shot club. I take precautions.

Now point me in the  direction of the Martini Bar.  I like mine dirty.

Refer to the old Doris Day song.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 18

28 minutes ago, Esprit said:

WHO do they think they are advising us sexagenarians not to travel!

I'll be flying to Austria in February and catch up with the skiing I missed last winter.

I am skiing here in Colorado. Fresh air, exercise, and no mask when doing my laps. Enjoy! The last time I skied in Austria (St. Anton) I tore my MCL and out for the season 😞

30F8B0ED-229D-485D-A107-6AD5B0E8827B.jpeg

• Like 5