The Daily for Monday 04/11/2022

richwmn

@Cruising-alongCarolyn, happy birthday to your DS!  He was born the same year as my DS, and it's impossible they are this old already!  We can't be old enough for this!

Your comment about your dear Grand-dog and Grand-kittie reminds me of a text and photo my DD sent me yesterday.  Apparently they were trying to fill the basketball hoop stand with sand on the driveway and grand-dog Gracie got so excited she tried crossing the invisible fence keeping her in the grassy back and side yards.  She got a zap!  She never does that normally.  She said while DD was on the deck grilling later Gracie stood right at her feet with her head down.  It was like she was standing in the corner being punished.  Guess she won't forget about the electric invisible fence again!  Poor Gracie!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

A cloudy day here in the PNW, we might get up to 50 F today.  Yesterday was a mixture of sun, rain, and hail.  A typical crazy April day here.

I haven't heard enough barbershop quartet music to be a fan or not, will pass on the poutine and we haven't had any pets since retiring and traveling more.  I do enjoy our grand-kitties and grand-pups though.  

Will pass on the wine, the drink sounds good and salmon always is a good choice.  We have some steak leftover from last night so will do something with that tonight.

Today is our son's 48th birthday (how can that be?????)  but we all celebrated last week and he's working, so we won't see him today.  

Here are a couple photos of the pets in our family, grand-kitty Nimbus and grand-pup Rogue. Both are very good pets!  I know both DS and DD plan to get another puppy, so there will be more grand-pups in the near future.

Rogue

66121740_RoguewithAmanda.jpg.41769dab76ebfcaf665dfb1529cdbc2e.jpg

Nimbus with Grandson Foster

1681067954_NimbusandFoster.jpg.28b4503902ee76a651ef81c00bdd83e4.jpg

Happy 48th birthday for your son today.

Graham.

CF584717-26A5-44A4-97D1-8B0594A9F898.gif.4dead2d84240e63b1802ba524077b0af.gif

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks all.  
Happy birthday to Geri’s DGS.  
I’m glad Jacqui’s liking her new phone and the plants are doing so well! 
@Horizon chaser 1957 amazing the relief when we make the right decision for ourselves.

@highland cruiser so impressed with your outlook!

We very much enjoyed the Jurassic coast prior to our last cruise, I even found a fossil. 

7890671B-6034-43AE-A380-672CC830798E.jpeg

E1F4E0F1-EC5A-4C06-A1EE-5AB5F82DD5B2.jpeg

40F1C358-5189-423C-B355-98CDA08445D0.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 7

@grapau27 Graham, praying the gel helps and the doctors get what they need from the x-rays to help you.

@ger_77 Gerry, happy birthday to your DGS.

@Cruising-along Carolyn, happy birthday to your DS.

@Sea Viewer@marshhawk Ann, thinking of you. (Sorry, I don't know your name Sea Viewer.)

I'm enjoying all the pictures of the port and pets. Thank you.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Cruising-alongCarolyn, happy birthday to your DS!  He was born the same year as my DS, and it's impossible they are this old already!  We can't be old enough for this!

Your comment about your dear Grand-dog and Grand-kittie reminds me of a text and photo my DD sent me yesterday.  Apparently they were trying to fill the basketball hoop stand with sand on the driveway and grand-dog Gracie got so excited she tried crossing the invisible fence keeping her in the grassy back and side yards.  She got a zap!  She never does that normally.  She said while DD was on the deck grilling later Gracie stood right at her feet with her head down.  It was like she was standing in the corner being punished.  Guess she won't forget about the electric invisible fence again!  Poor Gracie!

Sandi it's just impossible!  We definitely aren't old enough!  

Very cute story about Gracie and yes, she won't forget that!

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Happy 48th birthday for your son today.

Graham.

CF584717-26A5-44A4-97D1-8B0594A9F898.gif.4dead2d84240e63b1802ba524077b0af.gif

Thank you Graham!

18 minutes ago, JAM37 said:

Thank you Julia!

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

A cloudy day here in the PNW, we might get up to 50 F today.  Yesterday was a mixture of sun, rain, and hail.  A typical crazy April day here.

I haven't heard enough barbershop quartet music to be a fan or not, will pass on the poutine and we haven't had any pets since retiring and traveling more.  I do enjoy our grand-kitties and grand-pups though.  

Will pass on the wine, the drink sounds good and salmon always is a good choice.  We have some steak leftover from last night so will do something with that tonight.

Today is our son's 48th birthday (how can that be?????)  but we all celebrated last week and he's working, so we won't see him today.  

Here are a couple photos of the pets in our family, grand-kitty Nimbus and grand-pup Rogue. Both are very good pets!  I know both DS and DD plan to get another puppy, so there will be more grand-pups in the near future.

Rogue

66121740_RoguewithAmanda.jpg.41769dab76ebfcaf665dfb1529cdbc2e.jpg

Nimbus with Grandson Foster

1681067954_NimbusandFoster.jpg.28b4503902ee76a651ef81c00bdd83e4.jpg

Happy Birthday to your DS. 

The pet photos  are wonderful.

Our DD will be 50 this year and we are somewhat shocked....

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@ger_77 A very Happy Birthday to your DGS. Such a great fun age!

@Cruising-along  A very Happy Birthday to your DS.

@Sea Viewer Sending prayers for your DH that all will be well.  Take care of yourself also.

@grapau27   Graham-   hope your knees feel better soon.

Back to window washing!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

My visit to Portland was on a 2015 circling of Ireland from Ijmuiden.  My planned tour was cancelled so I took the shuttle into Weymouth and the highlight to me was a visit to Nothe Fort, a rampart at the entrance to Weymouth Harbor in use from the early 18th century through much of the cold war. It had a commanding view of the water but was pretty well hidden on land.

notheentry.jpg

The Parade Ground:

notheparade.jpg

A cannon from the first World War:

ww1gun.jpg

And another likely from WW2:

antiair.jpg

A view of the fort from a bit of a distance:

ftnothe.jpg

A multi-faced monument on the Esplanade celebrates Portland's and Weymouth's role as a staging point for D-Day:

d-day.jpg

Roy

• Like 21
  • Thanks 11

5 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Happy Birthday to your DS. 

The pet photos  are wonderful.

Our DD will be 50 this year and we are somewhat shocked....

Unfortunately, you and I are in the same boat this year.  My DD will also be 50 in June!!!😲

• Like 17

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Indeed she is.  Didn’t really have a chance to visit with her on Oct/Nov Kdam cruise but this time (Kdam B2B 3/27-4/10) was different.  When we passed in the Lido I told her how nice it was that she is back.  So we sat down and had a nice visit while she told me about her vacation.  Found out we are soul sisters.  We both ride motorcycles.  I told her that, being German, she should NOT be riding a Suzuki (her bike) 😉.  I’m not even German but I had a BMW.  She said that they are too expensive for a staff captain but once she makes ship’s master she definitely plans to get one.  On another visit she told me that she intends to take flying lessons.  So I was able to give her a lot of tips on how to make the process of certification faster and less expensive.  She is a very personable lady.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good Morning All,

We’re somewhere near the southern end of the Sea of Cortez. This AM they held the On Deck for a Cause, supporting medical supplies for the Ukraine.

Heres today’s augmentation to the F&B Department.

They have had appetizers at sail away and last night was no exception. The BBKing Band was on deck and performed ( they’re really good) and lots of pax danced. (Definitely an improvement over the HAL Cats). Henk oversaw the “party”.

5FF2523F-308E-4455-905C-C79207CFF0AC.thumb.jpeg.cd5f3679788c23c5bb11bac1c8e71502.jpeg

0E4CFDB5-ECDB-40E3-9A16-819FCE48CD18.thumb.jpeg.f77514d254a65fa1cdad49ddd498e479.jpeg

This is from Canaletto last night: Beef carpaccio, mozzarella and chicken Parmesan, accompanied by our bottle of Daou Cab.

ED3140FB-27B2-44C4-B340-4E760E9CCADC.thumb.jpeg.9108a169de8ad901131d46c4c16cd7aa.jpeg

E4703AAE-4D66-45FE-8A95-27941304CD8E.thumb.jpeg.b78f94c029784bd7861f2ed4dce8dcd8.jpeg

D632E0CE-BC7C-4F78-AF00-5D9822D4FCA9.thumb.jpeg.2d9ed28f7606d2f6e1f41cabe4c4fba0.jpeg

1E46FF52-EBFF-45E6-8ECE-5443EB8F53FB.jpeg

58CCA6BD-2C5A-4A61-9786-0B22FDCAADCD.jpeg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Good morning to all. I have been reading the Daily, but have not been posting. I am thinking of all of you and especially those who need care and support. Life is just moving too fast for me these days. I need a break. Like a cruise. A long cruise.

I took my car in for an oil change and a general check this morning..... all is good. When I drove past the shelter I saw our roof was nearly done. Final inspection is due Wednesday..... after the storm that is forecast (or maybe not forecast depending on who you listen to). It was last week that high winds took a good part of the roof off the children's home across from me. Well, worse is predicted for later this afternoon and tomorrow and tomorrow night. I can hardly wait. Snow possibly.... rain possibly.... wind, yes!!!. Those of you east of the Rockies, hang on to your hats!!! - it is headed your way. Our high today will be in mid-60's....tomorrow low 40's, maybe and hard freeze for about 3 nights. Our fruit trees will suffer.

Little Bandit and I celebrate pet day every day. He loves to ride in the car so he went with me to car place and enjoyed all the attention that was showered on him by the staff and other customers. He is now fast asleep. Being a celebrity is hard work.

Susan

• Like 27

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Barbershop quartets are ok, never had poutine, and never had a pet other than fish as a kid.

True quote.

Pass on fish, as usual, and take the drink and the wine.

I haven't been to Weymouth. Thanks for the pictures @StLouisCruisers@bennybear@rafinmd

Another day with rain, although it's warm. We've had rain every day this month save one. My grass is getting tall; maybe Friday will be dry enough to mow for the first time this year. I'm finally making my corned beef and cabbage today, else I'd need to freeze the corned beef.

@marshhawk Good luck at the dentist. 

@kazu Hugs for the dirty work. I had to make a will quite young to make sure someone was appointed to take care of my Mother (with dementia), in case something happened to me. Prayers for Jose and you.

@grapau27 I hope the doctor can get your knees feeling better. I know that pain and have had steroid injections; I may need the rooster comb stuff next. 

@JAM37 I'm glad you're both feeling better.

@Sea Viewer Prayers for your DH and his procedure today.

@Lady Hudson I hope your DS is doing better.

@ger_77 Happy Birthday to your DGS!

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday to your DS!

@durangoscots Good to hear that the roof is nearly done, and I hope the winds don't damage it.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine and its people. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was 46F this morning so we went for a walk outside.  Unfortunately the sky didn't have a magnificent display as the sun neared the horizon since it was clear and there were no clouds to filter the colors. But who's complaining, right?  It will be about 72F again today and no rain expected until Wednesday night or Thursday.  We're getting another round of storms crossing the south again this week.  Thanks Rich for the Daily.  Cheers to the pets today, barbershop quartets, and anyone who loves poutine.  I've never had any.  DH would love the seared salmon.  One of his favorite dinners on a BHB is the salmon.  Another Rowling quote I see.  I've never read a Harry Potter book so I'm out of the loop on that topic.  We also went to Portland (Weymouth), UK on the Prinsendam.  See all we are missing with that ship removed from our fleet?  I wonder if Roy or Jacqui was on the same cruise as we were.  Sept. 13, 2018?  (edited to add Terry too since she was on the Prinsendam in Portland)  I would enjoy showing you some photos of that day.  It was sunny and clear there.  I'll be back later with those.

Thank you Roy for the Care and Celebration lists.  We have lessened the length of the Care list but all involved are deserving of our prayers.  Ukraine, Jose and Jacqui, Tana and family, @Lady Hudson's sister after her stroke, and @Sea Viewer's DH in the hospital after his heart attack.  Jacqui, sorry about the task ahead of you today but you are wise to take care of it now.  Yay for the IPhone photos!  And I enjoy your memes as always.  Thanks @cat shepardfor your memes, too.  @JAM37Julia, nice to hear DH is a little better, but have you taken your test yet.  Too early?  If you do I hope it's negative too.  When is the best time to take the test after noticing symptoms?  I'm so glad to see a long Celebration list!  I'm cheering for you all.  I'm also happy to say Ren's Tigers won yesterday's game so yay Tigers!

Good luck today @marshhawkAnn at the dentist.  Hope it's not as bad as you anticipate.  And @grapau27Graham I hope the X-rays help with your doctor's diagnosis and plan on what to do for your painful knees.  Good luck!  Going to look for photos now.  Have a great day everyone!

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@ger_77,Gerry, a very Happy Birthday  to your grandson!

@kazu,Jacqui, I will be thinking of you today and send both hugs and a prayer for you and Jose.

@grapau27,I hope the Docs can help with the knees. We need you to keep doing all of the fun things  you find to do in England and abroad.I always look forward to the pictures.

2 hours ago, irishjim said:

Graham  hope  your  xrays turn  out  good and  sending  you  my  prayers.

Jim.

1 hour ago, dfish said:

That sounds like normal procedure.  I did a couple of years of cortisone injections in the knees and then graduated to the gel injections.  Not sure what it was.  Diclofenac gel is very good.  I could not take the pill as it raised my liver enzymes too much.  Finally, I gave in and had the knees replaced.  

1 hour ago, kazu said:

@grapau27good luck with the X-rays!

@ger_77a very happy birthday to your dear grandson!

A1E3821B-B092-4815-A757-E28C796E006C.thumb.jpeg.b3a5660e1d3ea22cfb06fff89580eaac.jpeg

@Seaviewer215prayers for your DH’s procedure today. 🙏 Glad to hear you are able to wait in the waiting room

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

@grapau27 Graham, praying the gel helps and the doctors get what they need from the x-rays to help you.

@ger_77 Gerry, happy birthday to your DGS.

@Sea Viewer@marshhawk Ann, thinking of you. (Sorry, I don't know your name Sea Viewer.)

I'm enjoying all the pictures of the port and pets. Thank you.

41 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

@ger_77 A very Happy Birthday to your DGS. Such a great fun age!

@Cruising-along  A very Happy Birthday to your DS.

@Sea Viewer Sending prayers for your DH that all will be well.  Take care of yourself also.

@grapau27   Graham-   hope your knees feel better soon.

Back to window washing!

6 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Barbershop quartets are ok, never had poutine, and never had a pet other than fish as a kid.

True quote.

Pass on fish, as usual, and take the drink and the wine.

I haven't been to Weymouth. Thanks for the pictures @StLouisCruisers@bennybear@rafinmd

Another day with rain, although it's warm. We've had rain every day this month save one. My grass is getting tall; maybe Friday will be dry enough to mow for the first time this year. I'm finally making my corned beef and cabbage today, else I'd need to freeze the corned beef.

@marshhawk Good luck at the dentist. 

@kazu Hugs for the dirty work. I had to make a will quite young to make sure someone was appointed to take care of my Mother (with dementia), in case something happened to me. Prayers for Jose and you.

@grapau27 I hope the doctor can get your knees feeling better. I know that pain and have had steroid injections; I may need the rooster comb stuff next. 

@JAM37 I'm glad you're both feeling better.

@Sea Viewer Prayers for your DH and his procedure today.

@Lady Hudson I hope your DS is doing better.

@ger_77 Happy Birthday to your DGS!

@Cruising-along Happy Birthday to your DS!

@durangoscots Good to hear that the roof is nearly done, and I hope the winds don't damage it.

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine and its people. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thank you everyone for your kind support and best wishes.

I have moderate arthritis in my hips and had previously had physiotherapy on my hips. 

I previously had a torn knee cartilage which was repaired by key hole surgery about 12 years ago.

My late mam had both her knees replaced and I seem to have inherited bad joints from her.

The pain is on movement especially going up and down stairs and more so since my heart attack when I cannot take anti inflammatory tablets with my heart medication.

I missed the bottom stair a few months ago and my full near 15 stone weight went on my right knee joint and it has been painful lately and why I went to the doctor's today.

Graham.

• Like 26

58 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Unfortunately, you and I are in the same boat this year.  My DD will also be 50 in June!!!😲

I'm not looking forward to that in 2 years!   Now I know what my Mom meant when she said she felt old when I got to be that age....

31 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

I just saw a new thread asking about Sail 7 Seas. I seem to remember that she passed some months ago; or is my rememberer playing tricks on me?

I know her DH passed away, I hope she's ok.

27 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

I've been meaning to ask where Joanie and Candy are. I know Candy's husband died.  Joanie used to post a lot and I haven't seen anything from her. 

Joannie passed away awhile ago, if you mean the same Joannie. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1