The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 8th, 2022

richwmn

Good afternoon all, well I went ahead and booked the Nieuw Statendam for Oct 2-8. I have 🤞that I actually get to go. It’s a sunny and humid day and tomorrow is stormy. 
@Crazy For Cats, just had a news feed from Lancaster tv station that Hersheypark is closing the Wildcat wooden roller coaster as of July 31st. No. reason given.   Also, saw the other day that the house that looks like a shoe along Route 30 outside of York is being  turned into an Air BnB.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 22

I think today you could fry an egg not on the sidewalk, but on the new black paving on the Wal-Mart parking lot.  I could feel the heat rising from the asphalt and that was at 1:30.  😱

@JazzyV  Vanessa, DH looked up the back surgery that uses glue, and it's for herniated discs, one thing he doesn'thave.  The surgeon we saw yesterday uses polymer ties that look like cable ties to hold the vertebrae together, with polymer wedge discs between the vertebrae.  He drills two holes in the vertebrae to thread the cables through.  The cactus flower is lovely.  Too bad it doesn't last long.

@bennybear  Thanks formthe good wishes.  I just wish it didn't take so long to jump through the hoops to get approval fot the surgery.  Love the Japanese peony.

Lenda

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!    So many  great photos of Guernsey,  loved the book and the movie!  I’m going to check out the series Foyle’s war too.  DH had a number of motorcycles including a chopped Harley sportster in the seventies.   A lot of fun, And I could always hear him before he arrived 🤷‍♀️

We did have some tornadoes touch down, but luckily no loss of life.  We escaped the worst of it. 

@ger_77 I too was upset about former Prime mInister Abe, so senseless and such a shock for Japan and the rest of the world. 
@TiogaCruiserour dealership was cheaper for tires than Costco,  who knows? 
@dfish what great recipes and photos!  
@cat shepardinteresting wine,  couldn’t tell if it was Oaked? 
@JazzyVbeautiful bloom! 
@Quartzsite Cruiser glad you have a good doc, hope all goes well!

my Japanese peony is blooming!

921F66B9-3FC2-4E2B-8D9E-87D611C12A80.jpeg

• Like 20

Good afternoon from sunny Whidbey Island! We will help DD and family move to their new home in Queen Anne, Seattle this week. So thankful to be able to help out (& spend time with grandchildren!). Blueberries are a favorite fruit, no thank you to body paint or motorcycles. We ordered euros and pounds from our bank before our last cruise (6/14 to 7/5/22) for Portugal, Spain, France, England, Ireland, Northern Ireland and Canada stops and managed to bring a bit home. Having the countries’ cash sure made small ‘souvenir buying’ easier & cut down on cc use. With  the exchange rate so favorable, we hope to buy more for future travel. Thanks to all who contribute to The Fleet Report and The Daily.

• Like 19

842467737_IMG_22862.thumb.jpg.39090073cfa9640be1f7dff2a570d276.jpg

Dear Jacqui @kazu,  over the last year especially I have often thought back of the wonderful cruise on the Prinsendam in company of you Jose and a great number of other friends having dinners together on board ship at the Captains table in the Pinnacle and doing  a large number of tours in your company , we had such a wonderful time . I remember in particular that on our tour from Dover to Canterbury we bumped into your group and I said my goodbye to Jose . That was 2019 ..........and yes I have thought also of this tour in Guernsey and have this picture in mind .

Than this year after following closely your postings on CC and always thinking back about this lovely man we were again with Andrea on tour the day after I heard of the passing of Jose in a very small medieval town in France we lit a candle together and said our prayers for him ............ 

We wish you all the strength and peace , please take care ! 

Tony and Martha 

Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon!  Thank you for the Fleet Report Rich. Thank you to all who share and care on the Daily. 

I have been under the weather for a few days. Nothing big, just extremely tired. I’m still off kilter with my sleep after the trip. 

I wanted to share a cute picture of the newest member of Craig’s sister and her DH. Her name is Eddie. She’s 10 weeks old. She’s a Doberman. And absolutely cute.  I think she’s going to need a bigger bed. 

67D2E5C6-6906-4FB9-A115-CFDCB9569C30.thumb.jpeg.2de385e373b935e737947001512cbb38.jpeg

2151BC54-5DE2-4B50-A749-7541DB0BAF87.thumb.jpeg.338845ce1f5d60442e820835838ea209.jpeg

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

The trip to the farmers' market was not a success: they have changed the location, a nicer setting but less convenient for me, and also changed the day from Friday to Tuesday. The only thing I accomplished was depositing a check at the bank, but I am happy to have remembered to do it.

I have an interesting problem with spending on credit cards -- not spending too much, but needing to spend it on two different cards. One is offering me 80,000 airline miles if I spend a certain amount by a certain date, but it's not the airline where I need the miles for a one-way flight to Europe next year. For that airline I need to use a different credit card, but there is more time for it. So for the moment I'm using the second card for small, everyday expenses, and the first for large ones.

Meanwhile, a third card has a bonus for restaurants and PayPal, and a fourth has one for gas stations, rental cars, and movie theaters. A fifth one will have a bonus for something, but never announces it this early in the quarter. It is no wonder that I can't focus on anything.

• Like 8
  • Haha 11

Many thanks to Jacqui @kazu and Tina @0106 for volunteering to do the Meal of the Day while I am gone enjoying the cuisine on a BHB.   I'm so glad someone stepped up as I didn't want anyone to go hungry!  

Flight Ease insists they have reissued my tickets, but United still says they haven't.  I think the problem is on United's end.   I checked the reservation on Lufthansa, the first carrier for our trip home, and it has our status as confirmed.  That is good enough for me.  If it isn't good enough, we'll deal with it when we get there.  At least it is on the way home and not the way there.  

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

IMG_6690.thumb.JPG.2ce5b1912238bd26a498b13af84a13fb.JPG

Awww.  The candles were enough to touch my heart ♥️ Thank you for this pic of Jose ♥️  

9 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

• Like 25

Good afternoon all,  Hope everyone is having a wonderful Friday.

Thank you to Rich for the Daily.

As for the days i will take a pass on all three.  My body does not need painting except for my nails and a bit of makeup.  The rest of my body will remain clothed.  

For some reason mark me among the minority that does not like blueberries.  Maybe because as a child I was forced to eat them.  

Never rode a motorcycle and have no intention to do so at this point in my life.  

So there you go.

The quote is quite interesting.  it could also pertain to someone who may misread a health book. It could have dire effects.

i will pass on the meal.  i would have a hard time having those fish eyes staring at me. 

Pass on the drink and the wine.

I have not been to the port but had a cruise that was cancelled during the pandemic that was supposed to stop there.

i never heard of the book or the movie.  I may buy the book, but since I have Netflix streaming, I will watch that first and see if I like it.  If so, I will get the book on my Nook APP.  

Today, for a change, we left our hermitage and went out.  I had to exchange something I ordered online from Talbot’s.  Since I am only 5’1” I have to order Petite sizes. Well they sent the regular size slacks, which would require alteration if I kept them.  The Hilton Head store had the slacks in petite and were very willing to make the exchange.  

So while we were out we decided to have lunch out.  It was a real treat.  We rarely eat out and I do get tired of cooking.  So I was quite happy to do that.  We both ordered Fish and Chips.  The order was huge!  We each only ate half.  Not to worry.  We boxed the other half and from what I understand it is easy to reheat both the fries and the fish in the air fryer.  We will see.  That is tomorrow’s dinner.

We are really pleased that we have made some travel plans for the rest of the year and are looking forward to all of our trips.  The only hesitation we do have is that we made plane reservations to go from Jacksonville to Miami.  We usually drive.  After making those reservations, it seems like the whole airline industry went nuts.  We figured, if our flight gets cancelled, we will just get in the car and start driving.  We can do it in about 8 hours from Jax.  Hope that doesn’t happen.

i pray for all of you, especially those who are on the cares list and those of you who are caregivers.  Caregivers deserve a special place in heaven as far as I am concerned.

Hope you all have a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 22

54 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

842467737_IMG_22862.thumb.jpg.39090073cfa9640be1f7dff2a570d276.jpg

Dear Jacqui @kazu,  over the last year especially I have often thought back of the wonderful cruise on the Prinsendam in company of you Jose and a great number of other friends having dinners together on board ship at the Captains table in the Pinnacle and doing  a large number of tours in your company , we had such a wonderful time . I remember in particular that on our tour from Dover to Canterbury we bumped into your group and I said my goodbye to Jose . That was 2019 ..........and yes I have thought also of this tour in Guernsey and have this picture in mind .

Than this year after following closely your postings on CC and always thinking back about this lovely man we were again with Andrea on tour the day after I heard of the passing of Jose in a very small medieval town in France we lit a candle together and said our prayers for him ............ 

We wish you all the strength and peace , please take care ! 

Tony and Martha 

What a lovely post!  We had the pleasure of traveling with Andrea too. Such a nice lady. 

• Like 16

One note for those planning on reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book, the entire book is composed of letters back and forth between people in the book.  It may take you a bit to figure out what's going on and get into the story but it's worth it.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

Annie @marshhawk - I echo all the comments about the Euro’s. And definitely let your bank and credit card accounts know of your travel plans, however we still had a few transactions rejected. We never found out the reason other than fraud (maybe from too many transactions in a day). Thank goodness we had two cards we were using and then called the one that rejected as soon as we could. 

Another story- We were in Dubrovnik on a tour and had an hour of free time in the old walled city. I went shopping for souvenirs and a couple who were on our same tour were also shopping but their credit card was rejected, they hadn’t notified the company and hadn’t used it yet in their travels.  Dubrovnik doesn’t use the Euro, I believe it’s called a kuna, and most shops won’t take Euros. I suggested that I pay for their purchase and that they pay me with their Euros, they were very grateful.

BTW, Croatia is changing to the Euro January 1, 2023. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

What a lovely post!  We had the pleasure of traveling with Andrea too. Such a nice lady. 

She is indeed.  I’ve sailed with her a few times.  She sent me condolences and told me that she, Tony and Martha had lit candles for Jose back when they did it.  So sweet.  I am blessed to have sailed with a number of CC friends who truly care ♥️ 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Sandi @StLouisCruisers, oh my, I just read your post from the other day about Buddy. This all happened so quickly. I’m sure he will be much more comfortable at home with family for his last days. Yes, 50 is just too young. I can’t imagine what the family is going through. Please convey to them that our prayers are for him to be comfortable at this time. So good to hear about everyone helping them out too. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Sharon.  It's pretty shocking and we're all trying to comprehend how all these cancers came so quickly after saying after the December throat surgery that they thought they had all the cancer.  The secondary cancer was lung cancer though so even if they got all the original cancer, this was something new.  

Today my twin tested negative and released herself from her quarantine.  She went out to Amy and Buddy's house to help out.  She told me Amy went to the funeral home to make arrangements, and that the hospice nurse said he should only have a few days left.  Heartbreaking.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 15

We're home from our Alaska cruise and land tour. We had a great time. I'll post more about it tomorrow.

Not into body painting but I was a motorcycle rider for many years. I finally sold my last bike a few years ago. It broke my heart but it was the right thing to do.

• Like 17

29 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Sharon.  It's pretty shocking and we're all trying to comprehend how all these cancers came so quickly after saying after the December throat surgery that they thought they had all the cancer.  The secondary cancer was lung cancer though so even if they got all the original cancer, this was something new.  

Today my twin tested negative and released herself from her quarantine.  She went out to Amy and Buddy's house to help out.  She told me Amy went to the funeral home to make arrangements, and that the hospice nurse said he should only have a few days left.  Heartbreaking.

This is heartbreaking especially after how much he went through with the chemo and radiation. I worked in oncology for all my career and even after 50 years of advancement in treatment some tumors were just so aggressive that it seemed that nothing stopped them, including the one that took my mother at age 52.

Hopefully his remaining time will be pain free and peaceful and that family and friends will be able to say their goodbyes. Nothing can really prepare you but sometimes having the resources of hospice is

a blessing.

Mary

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

The way you worded it sounds like metastatic cancer which can be really hard to find since the originating is being treated (I don’t know much but just remember this from my years working with doctors who did cancer surgery).  And it can be very aggressive. 

How heart wrenching that Amy is making arrangements. I am so sorry. How old are their children?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon all, well I went ahead and booked the Nieuw Statendam for Oct 2-8. I have 🤞that I actually get to go. It’s a sunny and humid day and tomorrow is stormy. 
@Crazy For Cats, just had a news feed from Lancaster tv station that Hersheypark is closing the Wildcat wooden roller coaster as of July 31st. No. reason given.   Also, saw the other day that the house that looks like a shoe along Route 30 outside of York is being  turned into an Air BnB.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

So exciting for you to book your cruise!  I have to admit that when I first read this I thought you were on the October 8th sailing which has many Daily-ites and was ready to ask you to email me. Then I realized that you are on the sailing right before. Wish we could meet! We’ll just have to wave at you from our hotel as we wait to board. You’re going to have a great cruise!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the daily reports.  I like blueberries, I always order them at breakfast on BHB's. Always have some in the freezer during winter as I often make Blueberry muffins.

Yes,  "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society " is a book well worth reading, have also seen the film, much better to read the book.

Thanks for all the photos of Guernsey.

Another wet day here, but thankfully not as windy as yesterday.

@rafinmd Roy, pleased to know that you are safely home again, 

@JazzyV thank you for sharing the photos of your lovely cactus flower.

@bennybear thank you for sharing the photo of your lovely Japanese Peony.

@Horizon chaser 1957 good news that your DH's MRI scan is normal

@StLouisCruisers is there a  hospice nurse always at the house looking after Buddy?

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3