The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday August 5th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We always have beer in the fridge downstairs during the summer, yay for underwear (who knew it would have it's own day?) and we like smoked oysters with soy sauce on them, served on a cracker.  Yum.

I was taken aback by the description of today's cocktail; I thought it was a chi chi made with vodka, pineapple and coconut, not bourbon et al.  I prefer mine, thanks.  I'd love a sample of today's wine, though, if someone wants to buy a bottle.  

Although the sun is shining, it's cool out there this morning at only 13C (55F) and we're not going to get a lot warmer with a high of 17.  Someone actually said the F word on the radio this morning, yes, they said Fall.  It can't be, we're just beginning August!!!  Argh.

@kazu I'm sorry to hear your fridge called it quits.  You just can't catch a break, can you?  I am glad to know that Shadow took to your vacation replacement so well, though.  That's a testament of your treatment to her and that she trusts you wouldn't bring anyone around who would hurt her.

@cunnorlHappy Anniversary to you and your DH!!

@smitty34877I'm happy to see that most of the family is now testing negative.  Hopefully Tana will begin to improve soon.

@StLouisCruiserssafe travels today!

We're 87 days from leaving for our fall (yes, I said the word) trans-Atlantic, and with all the stories on the news and here of people's luggage not arriving with them, I went downstairs and brought up our carry-ons to start thinking about what will go into them.  We have small sized ones that will actually fit under the seat, so space is at a premium, but in the next few days I'm going to be trying various combinations of clothing that could see us through a few days without having to panic buy in Barcelona.  I'm usually a pretty easy going person, but when it comes to travel, I leave nothing to chance.

I'm going to give today's menu suggestion a hard pass; I don't think either of us would appreciate it.  LOL  It's Friday night, pizza night, but pizza isn't on the menu - we've been invited to a friend's where we'll be eating dinner on his rooftop deck.  Hopefully he'll have the overhead heaters on, because it could be quite chilly otherwise.  He's a great cook, and even though we have no idea what's on the menu, we're sure it's going to be delicious.  There is sure to be good food, good conversation and much laughter this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and for the grain leaving the ports to feed the hungry.  We'll clink the glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, wear masks when needed, get your boosters, and be safe.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Chee Chee cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
1 Blood Orange, Slice
1 Amarena Cherry
1/2 part Marsala, Dry
1/4 part Averna® Amaro

Instructions
Muddle the blood orange slice with the cherry in a shaker. Add the Makers Mark® Bourbon, marsala and Averna® Amaro. Add ice and shake vigorously. Serve neat in a glass or over ice.

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 7.45.25 AM.png

Is that the right photo, or the right formula? I think that a drink with those ingredients would be brown.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

FWIW I just posted this to the Crystal forum from the thread we discussed yesterday:

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

WOW!  Just WOW!  If I were booking my first Crystal cruise and thought this was the attitude I would have encountered from the majority of cruisers, I would have RUN to the phone to cancel.  I am not personally a fan of Lanai cabins but they are a minor issue, on about a par with needing key cards to enter the Penthouse Deck laundry rooms on Crystal, and have walked probably the equivalent of Baltimore to New York on ships with Lanai cabins with no issues. 

There's actually a good reason no new HAL new builds have Lanai cabins.  No HAL ship built since 2002 has ANY cabins on the Promenade deck; it's all either service space like galley or public rooms.  Anyone who knew what he was talking about instead of just being snarky would know that.

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

@cunnorlHappy Anniversary! Enjoy your meal out.

@smitty34877Glad to hear most of you are doing well.  Hoping Tana will feel better soon.

@kazuI am sorry to hear about your fridge.  My less than 3 year old fridge needs repairs, and he isn't sure when the part will be available. Thankfully,  it is still working.  Meanwhile, the 30 year old fridge in the basement has never needed a repair.  You are doing a wonderful job with Shadow.  I was worried when I read about the Canadian ban, and relieved when Shadow arrived so quickly.

Prayers for all who are having medical issues, and safe travels for all those who are travelling.

Haven't posted much recently.  We have been renovating the 2nd floor.  Had all the ceilings reboarded as the stipple was falling off in chunks, as it wasn't properly installed.  Did 3 spare rooms, ceilings, paint and new carpet,  and then moved all the furniture again, and had the master bedroom and hallway ceilings done.  When the painter came back he found flaws in the drywaller's work, and wouldn't paint it.  And then ended up quitting.  We have finally found another painter, who is fitting us in when she finds herself with a day between booked jobs. We have been sleeping in a spare room since the beginning of June.  Sure would like to get back in to my own bed.

Last weekend we looked after our DGS's border collie pup.  They were here on Sunday to pick her up, and Monday tested positive.  Dh is now positive, but thankfully has only bad cold symptoms, and I am still feeling fine. And, of course, the painter had a day to give us, but we couldn't have her come.

Tomorrow was to be a joint birthday party for DGS and me, but that too has been put on hold.  Just grateful that no one is really sick.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

I just bought new underwear for DH,DD and myself for our upcoming trip.  So good to celebrate. Never cared for beer and have not had an oyster in a long time, although I do like them.

My eye shot was bothersome yesterday. My eye ran like a river all day. Does that sometimes. So I was in wearing sunglasses with the shades down all day. Fine today!  

Today is our 44rth wedding anniversary.  Where did the years go? We are going out to a late lunch this afternoon in between the lunch and dinner crowds.  We try to avoid crowds as much as we can. It is outside so it will be nice. 

Golf tomorrow morning. We will be first off so hopefully there will be a little breeze. Havent played all week which is very unusual.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Happy aniversary and  many  more.

• Like 16

34 minutes ago, Tbay said:

@cunnorlHappy Anniversary! Enjoy your meal out.

@smitty34877Glad to hear most of you are doing well.  Hoping Tana will feel better soon.

@kazuI am sorry to hear about your fridge.  My less than 3 year old fridge needs repairs, and he isn't sure when the part will be available. Thankfully,  it is still working.  Meanwhile, the 30 year old fridge in the basement has never needed a repair.  You are doing a wonderful job with Shadow.  I was worried when I read about the Canadian ban, and relieved when Shadow arrived so quickly.

Prayers for all who are having medical issues, and safe travels for all those who are travelling.

Haven't posted much recently.  We have been renovating the 2nd floor.  Had all the ceilings reboarded as the stipple was falling off in chunks, as it wasn't properly installed.  Did 3 spare rooms, ceilings, paint and new carpet,  and then moved all the furniture again, and had the master bedroom and hallway ceilings done.  When the painter came back he found flaws in the drywaller's work, and wouldn't paint it.  And then ended up quitting.  We have finally found another painter, who is fitting us in when she finds herself with a day between booked jobs. We have been sleeping in a spare room since the beginning of June.  Sure would like to get back in to my own bed.

Last weekend we looked after our DGS's border collie pup.  They were here on Sunday to pick her up, and Monday tested positive.  Dh is now positive, but thankfully has only bad cold symptoms, and I am still feeling fine. And, of course, the painter had a day to give us, but we couldn't have her come.

Tomorrow was to be a joint birthday party for DGS and me, but that too has been put on hold.  Just grateful that no one is really sick.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Wishing you and your grandson a lovely birthday tomorrow.

animated-happy-birthday-image-0089.gif.156a6101332730bcd0b4752a4f45232b.gif

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 12

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the TGIF report, Rich.  I'm not sure what to think about the quote.  I don't think I've been to Bordeaux and definitely not on a cruise.  I'll celebrate Underwear day but pass on the beer and the oyster as well as the Pempek as I don't eat seafood.  My alternative is Melange of Tropical Fruit, Chilled Peach Soup and Three Peppercorn Crusted NY Strip Loin Steak which would have been my choices on MS Prinsendam August 2, 2011 if I had not had a big lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.

Today’s care list:

smitty’s entire family covid positive but mostly asymptomatic
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
Kazu joining the appliance failure club
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Painful falls for Cruzn Single Sister, Marshhawk, and Lindaler
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome back garlictown
Good birthday celebration for lazey1
Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Crabbi Patti on camp nurse duty to 8/8
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
Cruzin Terri treatment coming after drive from hell
2 days for AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam 8/7 to 8/14)
2 days for Mister67 (Equinox 8/7 to 8/13)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for keeping the lists updated daily Roy.

Graham.

• Like 12

Good morning all!
I'll try to hurry to get this posted, we have 2 little persons here.  Yesterday when we went to DD's house to take the DGSs to the zoo, I happened to look at her wall calendar.  She had marked that we would be having the boys overnight, not just for the day.....uh oh! Miscommunication!  Of course we said no problem, and the boys came home with us last night after a few hours at the zoo.  They will be picking them up this afternoon to leave on a camping trip.  We also have them overnight next week plus a couple days of care, so August is full with the DGSs.  School will start on the 31st.  Early for here.

I only like dark beer, and had my usual Guinness last night with my pizza.  Underwear is also appropriate, as I thought DD had forgotten to pack clean underwear for the boys -- of course she did, I should have known better.  Found it this morning in one of the backpacks.  I'll pass on the oysters, raw or cooked.  

Like Debbie, I would try the meal if someone else cooked it, but wouldn't go to the trouble of making it or buying all the ingredients I don't have on hand.  Will pass on the drink and red wine.  Have never been to Bordeaux, but it's on my bucket list.  Thank you Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiserfor the great photos.

Happy 44th Anniversary Charlene @cunnorl!

@TbayI'm sorry your DGS and DH have tested positive, prayers you can remain negative.

Terry @smitty34877good news everyone (except Tana) has tested negative now, prayers that she will also be testing negative soon.

Here are a couple photos from yesterday at the zoo.  It was a welcome cooler day (as today is).  

The boys watching the penguins swim by underwater.

1966054187_watchingpenguinsswim.jpg.fb0f0e7a38c6f013cacb84a87ea2e5e0.jpg

leopard.jpg.12482cb5c4f22bdcd6d32d130959f9b4.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Hard to argue with the quote.

I've never been much of a beer drinker, can't remember the last time I had one, maybe at a baseball game.

A National Underwear Day is sort of silly.

It will be interesting to find out what the meal is.

Teed off at 7:30 this AM and we finished at 10:30 so we sort of beat the heat but not the humidity, not in Florida in the summer.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

• Like 26

Good Afternoon Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I can celebrate beer day.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion.  We are having some leftovers that will only need to microwave since it’s another hot muggy day.  The work crew just finished removing the asphalt that served as a sidewalk.  They were very careful to not touch the fence.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

If I tried celebrating underwear day with my cats I’d need a trip to the er.

image.png.84398a505b6dea5c4ec0a799d64f96c4.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 9

Good afternoon everyone.  Hot, humid, and gray here today.  Cheers to beers, underwear, and oysters which I love!  I like the quote, quite true.  I’d try the meal suggestion but not sure if I’d love it.  I think I’ll pass on the drink.  I haven’t been to that part of France yet and I’m sure that it’s lovely.  Prayers for all on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!  Have a nice weekend!

• Like 19

3 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Someone actually said the F word on the radio this morning, yes, they said Fall.  It can't be, we're just beginning August!!!  Argh.

During my 'respite' travels earlier this week I saw a sign board that said:

SUMMER SHOULD GET A SPEEDING TICKET. IT'S GOING TOO FAST!!!

Oh, so true...

-Melisa 

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 14
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

That’s the recipe and photo I found at the cocktail project. 

Recipe is correct.somehow the wrong picture attached itself. The drink is indeed a brown colour. 

very hot and humid here, possibility of thunderstorms. Hoping for less humidity tomorrow. Celebrating with you if you are celebrating and prayers for those that need them.

9A14B9B7-4D60-4B31-B934-C90C343478C3.jpeg

Edited by superoma
  • Like 21

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

FWIW I just posted this to the Crystal forum from the thread we discussed yesterday:

Well said @rafinmd. Thanks for taking the time to respond. You are  well-respected on the Crystal board and your post should resonate there.

-Melisa

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I enjoy a good darker beer occasionally, but none on hand. Underwear is important, lol. No to oysters for me. Good quote. Pass on the meal (fish is a no generally), drink and wine ($$$). I'll take Roy's meal.

I have not been to Le Verdon. Thanks for the pictures @Quartzsite Cruiser @smitty34877

It's warm and muggy here. Storms later and flood warnings. I was dripping wet just out doing some watering. I think I'll do more decluttering in the basement this afternoon. Our community level of Covid-19 was raised to high yesterday. As usual, I wore my mask going to the PO and grocery store this morning, and saw more people also doing the same.

@kazu Sorry to hear about the fridge situation. Take time for yourself; we'll be here. And it sounds like Shadow is coming along nicely.

@StLouisCruisers Safe travels today. 

@Sharon in AZ Enjoy the family dinner tonight and celebrating DGD's birthday.

@dfish I'm glad Donna is getting the antiviral treatment. Funny on the beer while mowing!

@Quartzsite Cruiser Good luck with DH's appointment and safe travels.

@cunnorl Happy Anniversary! 🍾

@smitty34877 I'm glad you are all testing negative and pray Tana does too in the near future.

@ger_77 That dinner out tonight sounds like a fun time.

@Tbay Wow, lots going on in your house. It's so hard here to find people who will show up and do a good job. I need some painting done and dread finding a painter. Years ago I would have done it myself. Sorry to hear of DH's positive test and I hope you stay negative. Early Happy Birthday!

Prayers for the Care List and a Toast to the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Dixie, it seems today's drink "chee chee" and the "chi chi" are two very different cocktails? (BTW.. Chee chee is not a nice word)

They are different.  I just posted the one for The Chee Chee.  And sorry for the not so nice word.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, superoma said:

Recipe is correct.somehow the wrong picture attached itself. The drink is indeed a brown colour. 

very hot and humid here, possibility of thunderstorms. Hoping for less humidity tomorrow. Celebrating with you if you are celebrating and prayers for those that need them.

9A14B9B7-4D60-4B31-B934-C90C343478C3.jpeg

Thank you

• Like 13

We're supposed to be on the Eurodam tomorrow, but flights are getting canceled due to weather, worried we won't make it. 😞 Would we be able to board in Juneau if we can make it there by Monday?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2