The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Good morning to everyone.  Happy Friday.

Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes yesterday.  Much appreciated.

Happy Anniversary to @Quartzsite Cruiserand @marshhawk .  Wishes for many more happy years together.

Another gloomy morning and more rain predicted for today. Gotta get that Ark built.

Rich, thank you for the Daily and the Fleet Report.  Thank you for the days.  Contributions to the local food bank are important and we do so regularly.

Pass on the meal and the drink

We have not been to A Corunna, but to Ferrol, which is nearby.  A Coruna is the port for Santiago de Compostela, the famous pilgrimage site.  For those of you who have not seen the movie The Way starring Martin Sheen, I highly recommend it.

I will try to dig up some photos of Santiago de Compostela today and post them.

Thank you to Roy for the Lists.  Prayers for those who need them and Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.

Yesterday was quite frustrating.  We were able to secure frequent flyer tickets for our cruise last year to Scandinavia and Norway.  When I was trying to add our info on the British Airways website I kept getting an error message that my contact information was incorrect.  I kept trying to re enter it for about three hours.  I finally logged on to Flyer Talk and found out that numerous people were having the same difficulty and the work around is to download the BA app and enter the info there.

A wasted three hours!  Now on to the next project.  My Ark Building!

I hope everyone has a great day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning! Had a nice evening getting together with our small church group last night. Today, we will wait for our appliance repair appointment and hopefully have our dishwasher up and running. I remember when growing up, our family physician, who made house calls,  stated that the introductions of mechanical dishwashers had cut down on his treatment of gastrointestinal issues.

I would try the eel dish. I use to catch eel frequently while fishing in small Chesapeake Bay tributaries and we would keep them as Asian friends thought of them as delicacies.

@Quartzsite Cruiser A very Happy Anniversary wish for both of you!💐🍾

We are debating if a brisket is on the menu for the main holiday barbecue and the thought of cooking  in the rain keeps popping up? Hmmmm!

Rich, Roy thank you your loyal postings and may all of you enjoy this weekend which is traditionally the closing of the summer season.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I needed a windbreaker this morning in the deliciously cool air. Windows are open,so exciting after weeks of constant AC.

We have been to the port and enjoyed the Cathedral and large square where pilgrims and walkers were ending their journey. I remember a very bumpy night as the Prinsendam went through some swell “swells”. 
Thanks for the recipe Tina but I think I would try it in a Japanese restaurant as well. 
My parents and uncles often spoke of the end of WW 2 and I wish I had paid more attention to their stories. They were scattered all over the world and it was quite a feat to get home. My mother often spoke of the housing crisis that followed  and living with her in-laws when my oldest brother was born.

We are making two different soups this morning for dinner later and planning a BBQ for the weekend  before the rain comes on  Monday. 
Terry

159906B2-33ED-4D69-8CCA-0D1F95A7BD41.jpeg

• Like 23

Good morning Daily-ites. I have not posted for a day or 2 but all is well.

Prayers lifted, sending out Happy Birthdays and Anniversaries. Happy Friday!

I have eaten eel. It is a bit sweet tasting and kind of like a shrimp or lobster in texture. Unagi is freshwater eel and good in sushi dishes.

image.png.7d52e6a62ca016acc9b4fed8b972f5f3.png

Today we are headed to the VA for DH first ever VA exam. He needs to be seen once a year for me to stay in the Caregivers Program. A 50 mile trek.

Ann @cat shepard I would think your meal is included at the lodge? Hope that's the case.

I have gotten several emails from HAL asking if I want to upgrade to HIA on our 3 bookings. We already have it. Should I call or just take my paperwork and show them? 🤔 

Wishing you a lovely weekend. Blessings,  prayers and cheers. Xx

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@summer slope  I've heard of a Back Nine which is basically an Arnold Palmer (iced and lemonade) with vodka added.

Here's a recipe for a Take 9 I found online.

1 1/2 parts Cruzan 9 Spiced Rum

3/4 part dry vermouth

1/4 part DeKuyper   Blue Curacao Liqueur

1/2 tsp Grenadine

Garnish Orange Twist

Combine all ingredients over ice in a tumbler and stir for 30 seconds. Strain into a chilled Martini coupe. Garnish with an orange twist.

https://www.thecocktailproject.com/drink-recipes/take-9/

Take 9 | The Cocktail Project

Thank you.  That is the site I use most often and it showed nothing.  Love the group and how we help each other.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

FB_IMG_1662054721685.jpg.971813ba9caf074d6229392daf6cfe7d.jpgAt Skagen in Denmark. Walked out the sand spit that separates the North Sea from the Baltic.

As far as I am concerned, eels should stay where they belong, which is in rivers and the ocean. And Royal Caribbean should not label a dish "pasta with salmon" and then put shrimps, no matter how tiny, in it. And autocorrect should not change eels to feels.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 14
  • Haha 10

Good morning from a dark and misty central Texas.   Yesterday's rain was all around us, but somehow managed to miss us.  Looking at the weather radar, again we are sort of the eye of the rain in this area.  We have a chance for some rain n about an hour, if the radar future cast is correct.  🤞  We have been hearing thunder for about an hour.  Since I typed this, it has started raining and the driveway is now wet.

Three important days to celebrate.  VJ Day ended a years long nightmare in the Pacific.  Food banks perform an important service, but I wish there was not a need for them.  Our college colors are burnt orange and white.   GO HORNS!  

Another interesting quote today, and I'll need to think about it.  We'll definitely pass on the meal and on the drink.  Looking forward to the wine description.

@rafinmd  Thank you Roy, for putting our anniversary on the Celebration List.  We've packed a lot into the past 55 years, and I wonder where the time has gone.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the anniversary wishes.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AUSTIN! 

@ottahand7  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  That brisket looks good.  We haven't smoked a brisket in years.  We'd have to get up too early to put it in the smoker and have it ready for dinner.  The only way to get tender brisket, as you know, is low and slow, and then let it stay at 190-200F for a while.

@cunnorl  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  We hope to have many more anniversaries.  We'll look tomorrow to see if we can see the launch.  Hope they make it this time. 

@Heartgrove  Jack, thank you for wishing us a happy anniversary.  I hope you hear from the insurance adjuster soon. 

@ger_77  Gerry, thank you for your good wishes.  I'm glad the dinner went well last night.

@cat shepard  Ann, thanks for the good wishes on our anniversary.  My guess is, they will provide lunch at the Princess Lodge.  Since Princess and HAL are under the HAL Group, I would not be surprised if they shared some facilities for the Alaska land tours.

@superoma  Thanks for remembering us on our anniversary.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, thank you for the anniversary wishes.  I hope you don't have to build that ark.  Isn't technology great and time saving?  🤣

@aliaschief  Bruce,  I have my fingers crossed 🤞 the dishwasher is up and running by dinner time.  Thank you for the anniversary wishes.  

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, thank you for the lovely anniversary "card".  Where are you and DH going to the VA?  DH went to the one in Waco when we first moved here, but had to switch to our PCP.  They insisted they needed to see him every six months, and that did not fit in with our travel schedule.

@smitty34877  Terry, that's good news it is getting cool enough to have the windows open.

@seagarsmoker   Thanks for the anniversary wishes.

@lindaler  Linda, thanks for the good wishes for our anniversary.  I'm happy you are settling into life in Mobile and are enjoying the area.

Now, I'll see what I posted on July 16, 2021, from A Coruna.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

This is what I posted on July 16, 2021.

We have been to A Coruna twice on BHBs.  In 2004, on the old Noordam, we stayed in town, took the bus to the lighthouse and then walked around town.  In 2011, on the Prinsendam, we took the tour to Santiago de Compastela.

I'll begin with A Coruna.  The lighthouse which is still working and built on the foundation of the old Roman lighthouse.  The Tower of Hercules is the oldest extant lighthouse and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

IMG_3138.thumb.JPG.598c930ec81dd60bed3c8f8207980e3d.JPG

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.6d8a33128187976e370c99435f190f39.JPG

We went up in the lighthouse, and DH went to the very top.  This is A Coruna from the top.

IMG_3145.thumb.JPG.15c911e7175044c17de39f166f312269.JPG

Various sites as we walked around the town

IMG_3161.thumb.JPG.807d89bed1b27306c80e15a4c4b03447.JPG

IMG_3158.thumb.JPG.d31a4ee8e3c527dd5a788abb98f1f542.JPG

IMG_3166.thumb.JPG.c0049958212d8d71148f4494f09c2f36.JPG

IMG_3167.thumb.JPG.d3d964bf231cfb45996601f8d2c99a3b.JPG

This picture is from 2011 after our tour when we were searching for an ATM

P1020163.thumb.JPG.6554bdaddb06c012ebafcbc3edf611ff.JPG

The view of the Tower of Hercules as we sailed to the next port.

IMG_3180.thumb.JPG.89d5a35bf968640147fea5b26e898664.JPG

These are a few of the pictures I took in Santiago de Compastela. The first is as we were walking from the bus to the square.

P1020128.thumb.JPG.ee516ac7c11cce6ba254969cdafac3ba.JPG

A monument to the pilgrims and one entrance to the church. plus the interior of the church.  We saw St. James tomb, but no pictures.  There was a long line to walk through the narrow passage and view the tomb.  Basically, we had to keep moving.

P1020132.thumb.JPG.ac024ced0ee48427f13ea5c713120bf6.JPG

P1020133.thumb.JPG.89c01e95247a3f92c301cc7adafdf365.JPG

P1020140.thumb.JPG.191d660faac8d253efa8fa7f41b20cd1.JPG

A different view of the square where the pilgrims gather

P1020136.thumb.JPG.a039584c9f127dfae90773da55948518.JPG

After touring the church, we went to a hotel for refreshments in the courtyard, where we were entertained by these gentlemen,P1020158.thumb.JPG.29db0ff0815ca932e863c4c70fb8bb19.JPG

P1020159.thumb.JPG.c3c49671b89f7bd0083666d61ccba670.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Daily-ites. I have not posted for a day or 2 but all is well.

Prayers lifted, sending out Happy Birthdays and Anniversaries. Happy Friday!

I have eaten eel. It is a bit sweet tasting and kind of like a shrimp or lobster in texture. Unagi is freshwater eel and good in sushi dishes.

image.png.7d52e6a62ca016acc9b4fed8b972f5f3.png

Today we are headed to the VA for DH first ever VA exam. He needs to be seen once a year for me to stay in the Caregivers Program. A 50 mile trek.

Ann @cat shepard I would think your meal is included at the lodge? Hope that's the case.

I have gotten several emails from HAL asking if I want to upgrade to HIA on our 3 bookings. We already have it. Should I call or just take my paperwork and show them? 🤔 

Wishing you a lovely weekend. Blessings,  prayers and cheers. Xx

I would just take the paperwork. I would worry a call could cause them to cancel. 

• Like 9

Good Morning All,

If the weatherman is correct, we should be in the middle of the heat wave. It was 101F when I left my Dad’s place at 10:30 yesterday, and had briefly slipped to 91 due to cloud cover and microclimate when I got home (5 miles away).

Today is clean the house day. Will probably also start a large batch of gelato.

Today’s wine: 

laurenz v “singing” griiner veltliner, Austria

Today’s white wine comes from Austria. Found for $14.99 at a Total Wine in LA.

From the winemaker’s website:
Kremstal, Austria - A very attractive fruit bouquet yields apple, peach and citrus aromas along with a typical Veltliner spiciness and a touch of white pepper. The soft and juicy palate is supported by fine acidity. It sings on the palate.

Laurenz V was created for white wine lovers everywhere. The winery focuses on a single wine variety--Grüner Veltliner--that has long been a favorite in its native Austria, where it represents nearly a third of the country's wine grape production. Grüner Veltliner has been quickly catching on in the rest of the world, too!

I didn’t find major reviewers, so here are a few from Vivino’s comment section:

Sipped this on a patio on Broadway in Saskatoon as we enjoyed my son and a couple friends play some awesome acoustic tunes across the street! A very refreshing glass. Citrus, mineral.~ Gord

Citrus, green apple, minerals. Absolute fresh and light. Good with a light dish of white asparagus and white fish. A perfect wine for passing a summer afternoon on a terrace.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Morning Dailyites.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda & DH Happy 55th Anniversary!

Up early for our Tundra Wilderness tour, and COVID test, but wanted to pose the question I asked last night, since I am hoping to get as many opinions as possible. 

Again if you have experienced this trip in the past, I ask you not to comment. 

How would you interpret the statement between the two yellow lines? Thanks to all who take the time to reply!

I hope I have lots of wildlife pics to share later. 

Ann

2A8E75B4-C00E-42CB-99E4-FBC1951E551B.thumb.jpeg.24d9a86f183ea51c67a14663a52916f2.jpeg

I believe that would mean you will be provided a lunch at HAL's cost, at the Princess Lodge.

• Like 10

WOW!  When it rains in Texas, it doesn't mess around,  Just after I finished the earlier posts, our slow rain turned into a torrent.  It is not a frog strangler or a gully washer.  It's a frog strangling gully washer.  So far, we've gotten 1.69 inches, and it's still coming down in buckets.  The skies are really dark, there is thunder and the rain has disrupted the satellite dish.  At least, we can get over the air channels.  Oh, BTW, our yard is flooded since there is too much rain to soak in.  I just hope this helps our lake level and puts a dent in the drought.

30 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@Quartzsite Cruiser,A very Happy Anniversary  to you both!

@marshhawk, and to you and your Dh as well!

Thank you, Terry.

17 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Just back from two weeks on Zuiderdam and still catching up.  @Quartzsite CruiserLenda and Steve, happy anniversary.  Hope you are doing well.

Susan, I hope you had a great time on the Zuiderdam.   

Thank you for the good wishes.  We are doing all right, and making progress on the medical front.  After our first visit with the nurse practioner, Steve had an MRI of his head, and it revealed another couple of things, one of which could be causing all the problems including the NPH.    We saw the NP last week, and have since seen two other doctors, an ophthalmologist and our PCP.  Got good reports there, and now we are waiting until the 26th of this month to see the neurosurgeon who can take care of the new problem and then the NPH if necessary.  

Steve, called UTSW to see if he could switch the 2:30 pm on a Friday afternoon appointment to an earlier time or earlier date.  It turned out, the next available appointment would have been October 23.

Lenda

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, 

Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts for my friend Wayne and his wife Karen. I've no updates at this point. 

We're packing up today - or rather I am, DH will watch and getting ready to disembark the Crown Princess and board the Eurodam. We get our Covid test today at 4:30 in the Medical Center and then I can finish filling out the HAL paperwork on-line. 

DH was sitting on his scooter yesterday with the seat turned to watch tv, fell asleep (briefly) and took a header landing on the carpet and hitting his head on some shelving. He has a big goose egg above his left eye, has some abrasions on his nose but is otherwise fine. I called down to ask for some "muscles" to help me get him up although he was trying hard to do so himself. A nurse and another staff person came then 3 other young men who helped him into the wheelchair and then onto the bed. He then thanked them and asked if I'd be going up soon to the buffet to get cookies. I definitely knew he was ok then. He ate well last night (It was the Baked Alaska Parade) and we had to fill out an accident report at the front desk. Someone will be here at 10:00 to talk to us about it. There's always something!

Thanks again for all the caring thoughts. 

Karen

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9