The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 25th, 2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

Happy New Year.   It's important to remember that not everyone can hear, or hear well.  I haven't read a comic book in years.

I can't say that I agree with the quote, although I can look up almost anything, I think it's important to remember things and not look them up (my phone number for example).

The meal sounds good, we love pasta.

Hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

Prayers for everyone in the wake of Fiona.  Hope @kazuis okay.

Stay safe.

I cannot  hear  very  well if people  are  wearing  masks unless

they  speak  very  loud.

Jim.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

@aliaschief and all:

Well, that didn't happen. TWC has a different reporter, Paul Goodloe, on Clearwater Beach now and it just said Jim Cantore will be there "tonight".

- M.

Sometimes Cantore picks the wrong beach. You would think, in this modern world someone would invent some better path predictions or some way to spray the skies around the storm with liquid nitrogen to annihilate the dam things!

One way or another this storm is going to cause havoc  to some Floridians.🙏

• Like 16

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning everyone from outside the Marion, Michigan Public Library.  Fortunately, their WiFi signal is strong enough to reach the parking lot.  

Glad to see @kazuhas weathered the storm.  Been thinking of you, Jacqui.  

We found a house we like and are putting in an offer.  Here’s hoping this one goes through.

Hope so too.

Susan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Sometimes Cantore picks the wrong beach. You would think, in this modern world someone would invent some better path predictions or some way to spray the skies around the storm with liquid nitrogen to annihilate the dam things!

Jim Cantore was here a few years ago for a very mild tropical storm. We have had afternoon thunderstorms more intense.  We could not figure out why he was here.  He did not stay long as there was nothing to see. 

Stay safe!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@HAL4NOW  Thanks for the update on the Bolt Creek Fire and the pictures.  I am hoping the firefighters have been able to bring the fire more under control during the time it has been moving slower.  Stay safe.

The strategic objectives on this fire mostly call for containment and monitoring. The fire crews have used this time to cut lines of defense, but since those lines haven't all been tested by the fire it is only considered 7% contained at this point. A lot of resources are being used to monitor the progress of the fire. It has only grown about 200 acres in the past three days, so that is considered progress. There is no plan to even attempt to contain the fire on the northern boundary, as that goes into designated wilderness area and the rules of engagement are different. Many natural barriers to fire growth (like steep rock faces and streams) exist on the north side of this fire.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 9

43 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Bruce, both NOAA and the NHC are still not sure about Ian. We will all get some rain. Let’s hope it is a manageable amount with little wind. 

• Like 16

Good Morning All,

Somehow we’ve made it to Sunday. It’s been a long week in our household. We’ll celebrate Dad’s 96th birthday today, a little early.

@dfish Hoping your offer is accepted and there’s no more monkey business.

@kazu Breathing a sigh of relief for you.

@HAL4NOW Thank you for the updates. Praying for containment and safety for you all.

51 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Not a Floridian- does Cantore have a reputation for being in the worst places for a “play by play”?

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@TiogaCruiser, Oh yeah on Cantore.  We have family in coastal NC, and when Jim shows up at Wrightsville Beach, you can bet there’s going to be a storm.

@smitty34877, thank you so much for letting us know about Camilla’s dad, what a relief!  Eternal Father, Strong to Save - I do love the Navy Hymn.

@marshhawk, your idea of a rotisserie bed is a good one!  My right hip particularly likes it.

O Canada, so sorry for the misery visited on you by Fiona.  

Florida, may Ian decide to just be a meteorological fizzzle.

My very best to all my CC buddies. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

So far this has been a rather lazy morning.   If I want to be comfortable sitting outside, I have to go out early in the day before it gets too hot.  That is exactly what I did yesterday morning and this morning.  As is typical for Texas, our forecast has changed again.  Beginning tomorrow we should have six days with the highs in the upper 80sF, followed by six days in the lower 90sF before dropping back into the 80s.  I say we should have since Texas weather is so changeable.

@*Miss G* I hate add a negative, but I had a reaction to the first shingles vaccine.  I was tired, had chills and fever, and a bad headache, in additiom to a sore arm.  It only lasted about 12 hours except the sore arm lasted about five days..  This was only the second time I've had a reaction.  Everyone reacts differently to vaccines.

@HAL4NOW  Thanks for the detailed explanation of the plan going forward on the fire.  You always hear on the news about fires being controlled.

@TiogaCruiser  HAPPY 96TH BIRTHDAY  to your father.

@summer slope  Dixie, I'm glad you are prepared to ride out Ian.  Please stay safe.

@rafinmd  On a couple of eastbound TAs on BHBs, the clocks were put forward at 2 pm.  Everyone except one grumpy passenger liked it.  That passenger complained she lost an hour of daily activities each time it happened.

I hope all the Dailyites living in Florida and others in Ian's path stay safe and don't have much damage.

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

Good morning all!

It's a cool 54 degrees F now, heading for mid 70's and up to the high 70's tomorrow and Tuesday.  Summer isn't letting go just yet.  

Happy Rosh Hashanah to all our Jewish friends!  There are several members of DH's family who are deaf, and the only comic books I've ever read were (aging myself here) Little Lulu and Archie and Veronica.  My sisters and I would read them for hours.

Funny quote, especially since it was written pre-Google days 😉  I'll pass on the wine and drink, but the first recipe looks good to me.  

Monterey holds a special place in our hearts.  DH and I met in Monterey on May 18, 1968.  I was living in Los Gatos, DH was in the military.  We were married a year and a half later. How fitting to have it as the port today, during the week of our anniversary.

My photos are from a Pacific Coastal on Celebrity that we took in 2017.  I think it was our first time back to Monterey in 49 years.

To help pass our 2 weeks of self-isolation before our cruise, I've started putting up my Christmas Village.  I know it's *very* early, but after returning from the cruise on Nov. 5, we'll have a house guest for a week in early December.  I'm planning a surprise 75th birthday celebration for DH and am flying his sister out from Savannah.  This year I'm putting up all 3 long tables for the Village, in other words, the whole shebang! So it will take the full 2 weeks to do it. DGS requested I put it all up this year, and why not -- I have nothing else to do other than pack!  LOL  Just hoping I can keep the party a secret from DH (he doesn't read CC)!

Debbie @dfishI was SO happy to see that you and Sue found a house that you like.  Now to get a quick and positive response from the sellers. 🙂  

Annie @marshhawkas others have said, on a TA the ship will change time every few days (or more often).  It's so much better than flying, no jet lag and so much more civilized!  😁

Jacqui @kazuI'm relieved you had no damage.  Wow on that tree across the street!!  Thankfully the branch came down away from houses and not onto them.

Here are photos from our time in Monterey in 2017.  We took the 17-Mile Drive tour that day.  Look at that sky!

950953096_Montereyshoreline.jpg.f37448b671e8648b55369787faa0a395.jpg

816605693_Montereybeach.jpg.1832b9f0d28ab75e735dccfb0f9603b8.jpg

Monterey.jpg.b35eb1a09351265873140c7805b88fd9.jpg

1800057482_Montereyflowers.thumb.jpg.e130d86aff873310df87519f2bd3b5d9.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

Somehow we’ve made it to Sunday. It’s been a long week in our household. We’ll celebrate Dad’s 96th birthday today, a little early.

@HAL4NOW Thank you for the updates. Praying for containment and safety for you all.

Not a Floridian- does Cantore have a reputation for being in the worst places for a “play by play”?

Cantore is WC top weatherman and he loves being in the windy spotlight. Get’s pretty hyped and over dramatic. I could say something else but I probably would get a demerit!🤐

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 14

When I see the name Jim Cantore I always laugh.  For two reasons.  When we got off our first Maine Windjammer Cruise, which really does disconnect you from the 21st century, we walked into our inn, and there was a girl at the front desk with her back turned away from the front door ,watching the TV.  OMG! A giant hurricane in the gulf, huge, it was called Katrina.  The girl sighed and turned back to us, and said, "Isn't Jim Cantore the cutest thing?"  And two, when Jim started on the Weather Channel, every woman within  four months of starting there,  got pregnant.  It was odd to say the least.  And then I read that Jim and his wife got a divorce.  She still ran the channel, and he was still the big star.  Although he isn't that tall at all.  However you know it's going to be bad, when Jim shows up.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I hate add a negative, but I had a reaction to the first shingles vaccine.  I was tired, had chills and fever, and a bad headache, in additiom to a sore arm.  It only lasted about 12 hours except the sore arm lasted about five days..  This was only the second time I've had a reaction.  Everyone reacts differently to vaccines.

Thanks Lenda.  I was just about to hit the button to confirm an appointment for today when it told me to download and read the PDF.  The moment I saw chills, fever, headache, etc, I said “Oh HELL no” and backed right out.  😂  I’d rather do that (well, I wouldn’t rather do it at all) when my husband is here and I don’t have a million things to cram in before my happy hols.

41 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Funny quote, especially since it was written pre-Google days 😉

And I’ll bet my last dollar that he wasn’t the one looking it up!!

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 21

35 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Thanks Lenda.  I was just about to hit the button to confirm an appointment for today when it told me to download and read the PDF.  The moment I saw chills, fever, headache, etc, I said “Oh HELL no” and backed right out.  😂  I’d rather do that (well, I wouldn’t rather do it at all) when my husband is here and I don’t have a million things to cram in before my happy hols.

It's probably a good idea to have someone around if possible.  However, I would rather put up with the reaction that have days of misery with shingles. 

The pharmacist who gave the injection thought most bad reactions were with the second dose, but told me that if I had any reaction, even a sore arm to have the second dose nearer the end of the six month period between shots and not nearer the two month mark when I could get the second dose.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 2

I have a had a good report on my relative in Nova Scotia.  I think of him as a cousin but my branch of the family was very slow to reproduce and while Ron is several years older than me my cousin was actually his mother.  He lost power for several hours twice but is now apparently has it back for good and is ok.

Unfortunately, his sister is near Hilton Head.  I thought she was further inland and will be thinking of her as Ion passes.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

Happy Rosh Hashanah to those who celebrate. Best to those living with deafness. I used to like comic books and still have a collection of Star Trek ones. Good quote, except for taking tests where you had to have memorized things.

I like the meal recipes. Pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine.

I haven't been to Monterey. Thanks for the photos.

I'm cold. I can't get used to these lower temps yet. It's 64F. We had some rain this morning and more possible this afternoon. I didn't sleep well last night with hip pain (bursitis) and knee pain. Getting old isn't for sissies, as they say!

@grapau27 Thanks for today's sermon. I have the same as you; some loss of high pitch sounds and tinnitus (which is being particularly annoying recently). Prayers for Fr. David's biopsy report to be not serious.

@kazu It's good to hear you came through Fiona relatively unscathed. I saw on the news how PEI and other areas suffered tremendous damage. 

@Cruzin Terri I hope you are out of the way of storms, but best to be prepared. I do hope you get to your anniversary trip.

@0106 Thanks for the recipes.

@HAL4NOW Sorry to hear the Bolt Creek fire is expected to flare up and travel again.

@smitty34877 Good to hear that Camilla's Dad is ok. 

@dfish Thanks for checking in. Yay on finding a house you and Sue like, and prayers that your offer is accepted!

@TiogaCruiser Early Happy 96th Birthday to your DD!

@Cruising-along Nice way to spend your self-isolation time. And a nice surprise for DH's birthday, having his DS there!

@*Miss G* I had that same reaction to the shingles vaccine, chills, headache, fatigue for about 36 hours. 

@rafinmd Good to hear that your relative in NS is ok.

Prayers for the Care List. Prayers for those affected by Fiona and those in the path of Ian.

Cheers for the Celebration List. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Good Morning All,

Happy 96th birthday to your dad.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Thanks for the information about the time change.  We will leave on Rome time,  with a stop in Spain, two stops on Portuguese islands and then Grand Turk, the end up in Tampa.  15 days.  Plenty of time to readjust to new time zones.

Are you taking the Pride back to Tampa, 10/28/23, perhaps a voyage you booked on the Ecstasy.  Looks like a nice journey.  The Pride was my only Carnival Cruise that wasn't Fantasy class, when she was sailing from Baltimore.  I do enjoy those long repos, and was due to bring the Carnival Legend home to Baltimore last year, but of course it didn't happen.  I am planing to bring Vision OTS to Baltimore next spring when it replaces Enchantment.

Roy

• Like 9