The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday October 12th, 2022

richwmn

48 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

😪Difficult news.😪 

Due to new symptoms, my 90 year old DSIL (DH's sister) had a follow-up to her PET scan as that scan is not good at detecting melanoma in some tissue. Sadly, it has spread further.

She will continue aggressive treatment; now with Keytruda immunotherapy . 

There is some hope. Always hope. And, since my DH's dementia doesn't let him understand her battle, I will continue to pray with him for his sister's cure.

But, a medical friend has warned me that my DSIL's agressive treatment decisions may be more an attempt to stop the melanoma from reaching her brain – with agonizingly painful results – than about any possible cure. As a retired RN, my DSIL would know the unrepentant march of melanoma and understand her choices.

Previously, she had not wanted us to come, but she has now suggested a visit next week. I will take my DH then.

Thank you for your continued prayers and thank you @rafinmd for keeping her on the Rotation List.

-😪Melisa😪

Melisa, I will keep you all in my prayers. Especially your DSIL - that the treatments can stop the spread of the melanoma. 

• Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Both DH's and my fathers were farmers and they were old when they stopped farming; I don't know any old farmers now.  God bless the Emergency Nurses - I couldn't do their job and they get so little credit for all they do. 

I was part of a cookbook launch - as @kazumentioned; during Covid quarantine, a woman in a neighbouring city decided to teach her kids math through cooking and put the results on Facebook page called The Official Quarantine Cookbook.  I heard about it from a friend, and I told friends, etc., and it turned into a wonderful supportive group now consisting of over 81,000 members from around the world.  To date 3 cookbooks have been published, with another one in the making, and all profits have been donated to charities in the province.  The group reminds me of the Daily because everyone is so supportive of one another, whether we have successes or failures, because we've all been there.

The house is ready for our guests who will be arriving later this afternoon, but I have had to change the menu a bit.   When speaking with them last night, we discovered one of them is having gastric issues, so is on a gluten free, lactose free diet.  So much for my brownies and cupcakes for snacks, or omelets at breakfast.  I'm going to head out to the grocery store to get some gluten-free bread and maybe something sweet as well.

@HAL Sailerthat is sad news about your DSIL.  I will continue to pray for her.

Today's menu suggestion is a good one, but with our guests' dietary restrictions, it won't be happening today.  Tonight we'll be having oven baked salmon, dilled potatoes (done on the barbecue), vegetables and a tossed salad in our dining room.  I think we'll be having a fruit salad for dessert.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is hurting, cheers for all our celebrants!  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 29

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s another beautiful day in New England.  I’d like to be back in Charlottetown with the NS today.  I’d get some more chocolate covered potato chips and chocolate covered ginger.  Maybe next summer.  @1ANGELCAT thanks for the $1 deposit alert, I’ll take a look.  I’m hoping to get an upsell offer for our November cruise.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 24

Good morning everyone. I have way too many cookbooks and a paper file of saved recipes that makes everyone laugh. My handwriting was never good and arthritic issues have caused further legibility problems. Tana tries to decipher them and if I am not home finds it impossible. 
ER nurses are special beings and I can’t imagine what the pandemic has done to them. The three nurses and one nurse practitioner in the family tell me horror stories of burnout and depression on the part of the staff. PTDS is very much an issue,

We had  farmers in the family on my mother’s side so I will salute them.The recipe looks great but strawberries around here have become very expensive.

@HAL Sailer, Melisa, I am so sorry to hear the news about your DSIL but hope you and DH can enjoy a visit.

I am very much enjoying news from our Daily family on their beautiful cruise.What fun!

• Like 26

5 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  It’s another beautiful day in New England.  I’d like to be back in Charlottetown with the NS today.  I’d get some more chocolate covered potato chips and chocolate covered ginger.  Maybe next summer.  @1ANGELCAT thanks for the $1 deposit alert, I’ll take a look.  I’m hoping to get an upsell offer for our November cruise.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

Jake, can you remind me of the name and location of the store in Charlottetown?  Thank you!

• Like 13

@HAL Sailerso sorry to hear about your DSIL and wishing you and DH a safe journey when you go to see her.

well, fall is officially here. The garlic got planted today! We too are expecting high winds this afternoon and six or seven days of rain. 

Today’s recipe would have been a great dessert for our Wednesday group. Don’t feel like going out for the ingredients so will save it for another time. We are having coconut chickpea curry over brown rice tonight.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• Like 25

25 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I was part of a cookbook launch

Could you share a link to the published cookbooks?

12 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

strawberries around here have become very expensive

I think the recipe would still be delicious if you used frozen strawberries.  Other types of fruit would work too.  I think peaches would be yummy.

25 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

$ 1 deposit today only ****

Thanks for the heads up because I didn't receive that email.

Sending positive thoughts to those the cares list and cheers to those who are celebrating

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

ER nurses are special and so are all nurses. @HAL SailerSorry to hear your sad news of the day.🙏. @Quartzsite Cruiser I do hope your DH is doing well and the surgery is the start of pain free comfort and ease.

Looking at radar and hopefully some rain West of us actually arrives here this afternoon. 
Still have quite a few cookbooks in house but we find ourselves using on-line recipes more these days.

Taking my Sue out to an Italian restaurant tonight. In preparation for our upcoming river cruise; we are not doing a lot of grocery shopping this week. Our celebrity chef on cruise will be Bryan Voltaggio who has a restaurant in MD. He and his brother have both been on Top Chef and other culinary TV shows.

I’m running late and I need to get a walk in before it hopefully 🙏 rains. 
Enjoy Hump Day and thanks for the reports.

Bruce

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 26

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

😪Difficult news.😪 

Due to new symptoms, my 90 year old DSIL (DH's sister) had a follow-up to her PET scan as that scan is not good at detecting melanoma in some tissue. Sadly, it has spread further.

There is some hope. Always hope. And, since my DH's dementia doesn't let him understand her battle, I will continue to pray with him for his sister's cure.

But, a medical friend has warned me that my DSIL's agressive treatment decisions may be more an attempt to stop the melanoma from reaching her brain – with agonizingly painful results – than about any possible cure. As a retired RN, my DSIL would know the unrepentant march of melanoma and understand her choices.

Previously, she had not wanted us to come, but she has now suggested a visit next week. I will take my DH then.

Thank you for your continued prayers and thank you @rafinmd for keeping her on the Rotation List.

-😪Melisa😪

sending lots  of  prayer to you all.

• Like 16

Melisa I'm sorry 😞 to hear the news of your DSIL. She's lifted in prayer.

Lenda wondering how your DH is doing this morning?

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. A beautiful cool morning with a nice breeze walking my little dog guest. There was alot of "doggie email" she needed to "read" today. 

image.png.f17c9d3c5abf33bac4d09d08b3247f30.png

I had many, many cookbooks in Montana when we had our B & B. I gave nearly all of them away except for the sentimental ones. I wrote a Bohemian cookbook.

Well, time to prepare tables and chairs for my Mahjongg students. Later we meet friends for couples pedi's and out to dinner. A grueling day LOL!

Want to thank all Farmer's who allow for us to have food on our tables. Bless them.

image.png.305b04d9f34beeaac8f13133038891fb.png

image.png.fcc869b5c0bcbff1a20864760381063a.png

• Like 14
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

ER nurses are special and so are all nurses. @HAL SailerSorry to hear your sad news of the day.🙏. @Quartzsite Cruiser I do hope your DH is doing well and the surgery is the start of pain free comfort and ease.

Looking at radar and hopefully some rain West of us actually arrives here this afternoon. 
Still have quite a few cookbooks in house but we find ourselves using on-line recipes more these days.

Taking my Sue out to an Italian restaurant tonight. In preparation for our upcoming river cruise; we are not doing a lot of grocery shopping this week. Our celebrity chef on cruise will be Bryan Voltaggio who has a restaurant in MD. He and his brother have both been on Top Chef and other culinary TV shows.

I’m running late and I need to get a walk in before it hopefully 🙏 rains. 
Enjoy Hump Day and thanks for the reports.

Bruce

I’m quite envious of your River cruise. We love the Voltaggio brothers ever since we saw them on Top Chef. Is it a Viking cruise?

• Like 12

Good morning!

First, prayers for all who have medical, family and car issues, and hoping each day will bring better times.

We were in St. Pierre and Miquelon on our August Nieuw Statendam cruise! (Finally a port I've been to!!).  We didn't have a tour here, but got off and walked around the town. 

As we cruised to our anchorage, we passed Sailor's Island. It used to be home for many of the fishermen, but now is pretty much deserted except for the church, a small museum and some summer homes.

0823-02.thumb.JPG.dae94b8e23346f40c94e628bf89aa846.JPG0823-03.thumb.JPG.93425fb93501b5d28d2c0daf2fc7c02f.JPG

It was charming, and we found a small cafe where we could indulge our usual plan - a local beer!  Unfortunately, I didn't remember to take a picture of the cafe.

0823-07A.thumb.JPG.b71422d4dec1745a62187e1964894535.JPG0823-08.thumb.JPG.31abf404822f3882097b4915c416d30d.JPG0823-13.thumb.JPG.e6a1cbeb44b0490f49b2a6985f34431e.JPG

As we walked back to the tenders, I was able to get a picture of the church in town, a fountain and a statue to honor the fishermen.

0823-15.thumb.JPG.f1c0c3d891cf03456cf66441fadf2587.JPG0823-16.thumb.JPG.56ace3d5cf498f5042c867f8eb8a82c7.JPG0823-17.thumb.JPG.d2b1668f2ce7405dd09f94b8e654bfc8.JPG

Another lovely day on a BHB!

Take care,

Laura

• Like 24
  • Thanks 6

I also got a bivalent jab yesterday; today, sore arm but no fever.

The Misfits order yesterday included rainbow chard, with a note on the ordering page that it was discounted because the colors might not be equally represented. I received equal numbers of red, yellow-orange, and white stalks, and cooked and ate the entire bunch. Chard and beet greens (they are the same plant) are among my favorite vegetables and I can rarely get them. I don't know whether it was my error or theirs, but the box also contained potatoes, which I did not need.

fencing.jpg.2538cfba21a6eb598f5df0797c432185.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you all on the Daily who have expressed their condolences for my brother. It has been a rough year losing my older sister in June and now my older brother. Both suffered for so long that the comfort is that they are out of their misery. His family and my younger sister are handling it well.

On our trip to Europe that starts Sunday I will enjoy in his honor an appetizer of Cantabrian Anchovies in Florence, and one of my brother's favorite coffee houses in Venice, Caffe Florian in Piazza San Marco.

- Jack

Jack, I am sorry to learn of your brother’s passing.  I’m glad he has now found peace and respite.

4 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

😪Difficult news.😪 

-😪Melisa😪

May your visit with DSIL bring her comfort and peace.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I enjoy cookbooks, have too many (and downloaded recipes); salute Emergency Nurses and Old Farmers.

Great quote. I like the meal. Pass on the drink, but the wine sounds good.

I haven't been to Saint Pierre and Miquelon.

It's cloudy today, with a cold front coming in and maybe rain tonight. Roofers are here for the final day. I went out to eat with friends last night. Just before going, my stomach felt upset, so I ordered ginger ale with dinner. I was ok until about 3 hours later, then the stomach upset started. So I went to bed early. Today is shot day.

@kazu Very nice of your neighbor to lend you her car. I hope you get your SUV back soon.

@Heartgrove Enjoy your trip, and nice ways to honor your brother.

@HAL Sailer So sorry to hear of DSIL's cancer spread. Prayers for her, your DH and all the family. I'm glad DH is getting to visit her.

@Cruzin Terri I hope you get some sunshine today. 

@Quartzsite Cruiser I hope DH is recovering well.

@kplady Thanks for the photos.

Prayers for the Care List. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Good late morning friends!  I had an early appointment with the PA, and was called in over 35 minutes late.  I hate sitting around doctor's office waiting rooms.  We discussed things like flu shots, Covid boosters, and a prescription for malaria pills.  She advised me to see an orthopedic to see if they could shed some light on this knee problem I have.  So that would be my next step.  

We're looking for thunderstorms this afternoon.  It actually showered lightly on me while driving downtown to my appointment.  There went the clean, freshly waxed car DH spent so much time on!

Thanks to you Rich @richwmn and Roy @rafinmdfor the Fleet Report and Daily, along with the Care and Celebration lists.  What a great group of days to celebrate!  I have quite a few cookbooks but my 53 year old Better Homes & Gardens red and white checked cookbook is my favorite.  A salute to ER nurses, and every other type of nurse as well.  I honor old farmers since my Grandpa was a farmer.  He raised black angus cattle on his 316 acre farm in SE Missouri.  My siblings sent me some photos this summer and one was an old photo of the farm.  Grandpa also worked for what they called back then the Forestry Service as a fire spotter in a tower on a mountain near his farm.  In addition he was a weather watcher for the Weather Service providing daily rainfall totals for 35 years.  Here's an old photo of the homestead on the far right and the barn with the rocking X brand painted on the front of it.  The outhouse is not in the photo!  LOL!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIcO32TSxLq1hBgOJFsh4oK4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656962427

Prayers for all on the Care list, especially to Jack @Heartgrovefor the loss of his older brother.  May he rest in peace.  Also Melisa @HAL Sailer I'm sorry to hear of your DSIL's melanoma progression.   I hope the treatments help to prevent any more spread, and wish you a safe trip to visit her in the near future.  Congrats to all with good news and having great cruises right now.  I like how long the Celebration list is though it can't be easy to keep up with us all.  So thanks again Roy!

The port of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, France was port of the day June 5, 2021.  Here is the link to that date in case someone wants to import their photos to this thread.  Thanks for the photos shown so far!

It's noon now so time to get this posted.  Have a good day y'all!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1