The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday October 15th, 2022

richwmn

We are working on closing up the cottage for the season and the weather has turned a bit blustery. Our son texted that it snowed a bit in Saint Paul yesterday so I shouldn't complain too much!

I took the boat out yesterday and will haul it to the shop for winterization this morning - 

20221015_094020.thumb.jpg.4b886a5bec7cdc4c0096294873579cb9.jpg

• Like 25

45 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Really frustrated with my Dr. right now.  Have requested a script for Malaria meds for our upcoming trip.  He has referred us to the local health dept.  Called them and they said they didn't know anything about those meds.  Dr. is hedging on giving a script.  Called a fried who is a Pharamcy prof and asked her what to do.  She suggested a anitbiotic, which we just happen to have .  Just frustrated.

I don’t blame you for being frustrated.  I hate being bounced around.  sheesh.  Why is it so difficult to get preventative medication?!?

27 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui @kazuis your new cruise the one out of San Diego that you had problems getting flights for? 

Yes it is.  Not crazy about the flights and would like the easier one but I’m nervous of U.S. Customs time needed.  Trying to find out how much the Mobile Passport Control speeds up the time to get through Customs.

27 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank goodness you spoke up about that parts bill they wanted to stick you with, and got it all taken care of free of charge.  👍

I knew they were connected as they didn’t check both sides.  they should have. And it was the same thing on the other side they had to do.  I suspect there is some manufacturer flaw which they know about and there is a ‘secret’ or ‘silent’ warranty for it.

I asked very nicely and made sure they knew I appreciated the other ‘free’ work.  But it didn’t make sense I was being charged.  Money doesn’t grow on trees here 😉 

24 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@kazuyou said you drove off - was that in your SUV, or your neighbour's vehicle? 

My SUV thankfully.

24 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good for you for questioning the cost of the part; whenever I hear something like that, I wonder, would they do the same thing to a male customer?

LOL Gerry - Jose would have never asked and just paid the bill.  I would have been on the phone later.  Much easier to get it fixed in person.

These days I’m not always as clear headed or up to dealing with problems like I used to be.  

• Like 23

Good morning! Slept late after staying up late watching a show. We have been to Bora Bora and hope to revisit in 2024. We also did Patrick’s Tour. My wife had her picture taken with Patrick and just as I clicked a funny look came over Patrick’s face. It appears when they posed my wife put her hand behind Patrick and it just happened to land on his bare buttocks!😁 I would definitely book his tour again. Like Venice Bora Bora is getting picky on allowing cruise ships to visit.

Some last minute shopping for things to bring on our trip. We’re pretty much packed and will leave Tuesday.

Thanks for the reports and your Daily post. Have a great Saturday.

image.jpeg.a08ae5541d0cf146d6cc33be638f486f.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the Fleet Update and other general info.

Bora Bora, my favorite place in the world. It is so beautiful they had to say it twice 😀.

If you look closely you may see me in one of the posted photos. Was there in 2008, 2010, 2014 and 2019. Greatest place to snorkel but not for those who are fearful of sharks. Just make sure you know what you are doing. I have seen two snorkelers who got bitten by sharks by acting dumb. When I get close to a shark I act very smartly; like Clint Eastwood, make by hand look like a gun, point it at shark, and say, "Go ahead, make my day, punk".

Find below a photo of a spinner dolphin spinning out of the water in Bora Bora.

IMG_1799.thumb.JPG.3357688bb656c1d4d4334fabe59bee04.JPG

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Happy birthday week @Seasick Sailor. Best way to celebrate - a whole week!

well, fall is officially on at our house. Not only is the garlic planted, I put on the flannel sheets today. So far we have not had to turn on the heat but that will happen this week.

most of the garden has been put to sleep. I will be making tomato sauce on Monday with some of the last tomatoes. The leeks and parsnips are still in the ground but if we get a hard frost they will have to come out too.

we had a great time making pizza with the four grandchildren last night. Their parents are in Dublin for an extended weekend and even though two of them are almost 22 and two of them almost 19, I do still worry about them! 

prayers for those that need them and will celebrate with wine later for any celebrations or just good news! We have decided that we will probably not cruise again except for maybe a river cruise but this is such a great group that I still want to hang around. I start and end my day with the daily!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Tina for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here!

It was a solemn mass yesterday for my brother. There was a luncheon afterwards. His family assembled picture boards depicting him through his life. I was thinking of him from afar but glad that I was able to say goodbye during our visit in June.

My daughter and her husband had their initial walkthru of their new house yesterday. Lily came to visit and went through two bottles, three diapers, and a change of outfits! Glad that I am the grandpa!  😉  When they left, they were going to a local apple orchard as it was a beautiful day. Lily wore her apple picking outfit for the occasion! She will be nine weeks old on Monday and my has she grown!

Finishing our packing today as we leave tomorrow. Somehow we had problems with our online checkin yesterday and needed assistance from the HAL representative. It somehow attached Sue's credit card information to me, wiped mine, and wouldn't allow it to be deleted. Plus we couldn't attach a card to her checkin. It  did get straightened out and are now looking forward to November 5th! We will have many miles under our feet and water across our bow (MSC) before that day though. Time for a nice relaxful Transatlantic by then.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

DSC04410.thumb.JPG.6df0d10db9876c9eca4ff41cd78be54b.JPG

DSC04409.thumb.JPG.529d0144189d277369874fd03c95ec13.JPG

DSC04411.JPG

DSC04407.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Trying to find out how much the Mobile Passport Control speeds up the time to get through Customs.

It will save you a tremendous amount of time.  I proceed past a line of at least 1000 people because I had the app.  

I highly recommend this free app to all US & Canadian citizens.  Here’s some basic info.

6EBB4261-5D9A-44AD-A8EB-9D5FE56506F0.jpeg

Edited by 0106
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

We have only used the mobile passport in Seattle.  There, when we get off the plane we find a bench, and Pat gets on line and opens the app.  People walk past us and look at us as if we are crazy, just sitting there....  Once Pat has it organized, we get up from our perch and walk past everyone else waiting in line, go to our "private" entry point - there is usually no one there - and head for the baggage carousel.  We are there before anyone else, and then we wait for our bags.  I was so happy to read that we will be able to use it in Vancouver now.   I'm not sure how the luggage thingy will work there, though, as we will be checking the bags in in Victoria to go to SD.

Good morning, Dailyites!  Happy Birthday week, Joy, @Seasick Sailor!  I posted some of my pictures from Bora Bora the last time, I may have few others to show you.  It certainly was a beautiful day and place.  

Patrick's "fleet"

P1090724.thumb.JPG.939e2f26fd88115b3c0f1d838d6af576.JPG

"Disembarking" at the motu.

P1090780.thumb.JPG.4f1b7508689516d27d0a74f010e5b48d.JPG

On the island

P1090804.thumb.JPG.55a7c52d103ee74a5888249c3453af4c.JPG

Lunch on a banana leaf

P1090799.thumb.JPG.d395ea6fd6e9d4fadc873acb17c228b9.JPG

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

@summer slope, when we lived in Kenya we took malaria meds weekly.  The company gave us chloroquine when we arrived and we took it on Monday mornings (Monday = malaria).  After a bit we realized that on Mondays I was being called to pick up sick children from school.  We discussed the situation with our doctor and he explained that chloroquine was a malaria cure not a prophylaxis, and we should be taking Maloprim instead.  The "cure" was making the children ill...  Weirdly enough, the company wouldn't pay the extra for the Maloprim, but we switched over to it anyway.  No more sick children!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

There, when we get off the plane we find a bench, and Pat gets on line and opens the app.

I open the app as soon as the plane touches down and complete the required info while I’m waiting to get off the plane.

Thank you for the pictures of Bora Bora.  Definitely on my bucket list, hopefully in 2024.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Tina for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here!

It was a solemn mass yesterday for my brother. There was a luncheon afterwards. His family assembled picture boards depicting him through his life. I was thinking of him from afar but glad that I was able to say goodbye during our visit in June.

My daughter and her husband had their initial walkthru of their new house yesterday. Lily came to visit and went through two bottles, three diapers, and a change of outfits! Glad that I am the grandpa!  😉  When they left, they were going to a local apple orchard as it was a beautiful day. Lily wore her apple picking outfit for the occasion! She will be nine weeks old on Monday and my has she grown!

Finishing our packing today as we leave tomorrow. Somehow we had problems with our online checkin yesterday and needed assistance from the HAL representative. It somehow attached Sue's credit card information to me, wiped mine, and wouldn't allow it to be deleted. Plus we couldn't attach a card to her checkin. It  did get straightened out and are now looking forward to November 5th! We will have many miles under our feet and water across our bow (MSC) before that day though. Time for a nice relaxful Transatlantic by then.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

DSC04410.thumb.JPG.6df0d10db9876c9eca4ff41cd78be54b.JPG

DSC04409.thumb.JPG.529d0144189d277369874fd03c95ec13.JPG

DSC04411.JPG

DSC04407.JPG

Jack, what darling photos of your DGD Lily!  She was dressed for the occasion, that's for sure!🍎  Glad you got a chance to babysit.  Also congrats to your DD and her hubby on their new home.

Bon Voyage, and hope your cruise is a safe, healthy one.🚢

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll share sweetest day with BFF, white cane safety is important, and pugs can be cute. Great quote.

The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Bora Bora.

It's breezy, sunny and going into the mid-60's. The weekend will be nice, then we go to highs in the 40's and possible snow next week! I think I'll get the lawn mowed and some leaves cleaned up today. There will be many more leaves to come down; at least the borough will vacuum them up from the curb.

@0106 Thanks for the many recipes.

@Cruzin Terri The penthouse looks grand.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos from Bora Bora.

@cat shepard Sorry to hear about your friends' house.

@Seasick Sailor Enjoy your sister's visit and all the birthday week activities!

@smitty34877 How nice to have planned a surprise visit for Tana.

@kazu Nice photos; I've only read great things about Patrick's tour. Good for you on no bill for the SUV repairs. I hope the dishwasher is easily fixed. 

@RedneckBob Cool photo!

@superoma I was just thinking it's time for the flannel sheets. And with temps in the 40's next week I'll have to turn on the heat. 

@Heartgrove It was good you got to spend time with your brother in June. Thanks for the cute pictures of Lily! And safe travels and bon voyage.

@Vict0riann Nice pictures. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll share sweetest day with BFF, white cane safety is important, and pugs can be cute. Great quote.

The meal sounds good. Pass on the drink and wine.

I haven't been to Bora Bora.

It's breezy, sunny and going into the mid-60's. The weekend will be nice, then we go to highs in the 40's and possible snow next week! I think I'll get the lawn mowed and some leaves cleaned up today. There will be many more leaves to come down; at least the borough will vacuum them up from the curb.

@0106 Thanks for the many recipes.

@Cruzin Terri The penthouse looks grand.

@StLouisCruisers Great photos from Bora Bora.

@cat shepard Sorry to hear about your friends' house.

@Seasick Sailor Enjoy your sister's visit and all the birthday week activities!

@smitty34877 How nice to have planned a surprise visit for Tana.

@kazu Nice photos; I've only read great things about Patrick's tour. Good for you on no bill for the SUV repairs. I hope the dishwasher is easily fixed. 

@RedneckBob Cool photo!

@superoma I was just thinking it's time for the flannel sheets. And with temps in the 40's next week I'll have to turn on the heat. 

@Heartgrove It was good you got to spend time with your brother in June. Thanks for the cute pictures of Lily! And safe travels and bon voyage.

@Vict0riann Nice pictures. 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Thanks. I was lucky to get the photo when the dolphin jumped out of the water. We were on a private snorkel tour with 9 other people and we snorkeled with these dolphins all around us.

• Like 14

Good morning and thanks all!  The drinks and dinner sound great!

Bora Bora is a star crossed port for us,  we’ve booked three times and Patrick twice but no joy,  from ship cancellations, Zika fever and  Covid we’re not sure we’ll ever get there!   But so nice to see all the photos,  Sandi, your bathing suit blends with the water! 
@kazu glad you got your SUV fixed and they didn’t charge. I went through similar with one of our SUVs just after warranty, and it cost thousands!   I’ve since switched to a very reliable brand and since 2007 have done nothing other than regular maintenance on the last two.  
I’m so glad you have another cruise booked.  Do you have nexus?  That helps but they are currently two years behind for renewals.  
@RedneckBoblove the spinners, we see them in Hawaii as well! They’re like ballerinas how they twirl!  

8E1619D1-7E68-4BD4-B7A1-38C05568A3BF.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20

Good morning from sunny, windy central Texas.  This may be our next to  last "summer" day with highs in the 80sF.  It will be in the 80s tomorrow, but we have a high percentage chance of rain tomorrow through Monday,  🤞  Here's hoping that happens as we really need rain.  It will also be a chance to see if the roof repairs last month worked.  🤞  It is also a busy day in our community with our annual garage sale.  A lot of strange cars going by the house.

While I type this, I will have one eye on the Texas v Iowa State game.  GO HORNS!  🤘  HOOKEM!  So please ignore and forgive any typos.  😉

An update on DH.  He is doing a little better everyday, with ups and downs and some days better than others.  It will be a slow process as bones and nerves heal, and the real healing will begin after the second surgery.  We appreciate all the good wishes for his recovery.  BTW, last night I got 7 1/2 hours of sleep.

Sweetest Day is a good goal, but I'm afraid I sometimes fall short.  @grapau27  Graham, thank you for reminding me that it was Texas' own LBJ who instituted White Cane Day.  We don't see as many white canes these days, but there is one couple who we've met on several BHBs where the wife uses a white cane.  Pugs are cute, but I also would not have one.  I'm a dachshund gal. 

I could not agree more with the C. S. Lewis quote.  I value my friends highly.

We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine.

We've been to Bora Bora seven times beginning in 1995.  It is our favorite place with Alaska running a close second.  Talk about opposites!

@cat shepard  Ann, I'm sorry your friends in Ft. Myers lost so much, but I'm glad they were not there during the storm.  I hope they don't have too much hassle with FEMA and the insurance company.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK!  Have a great time with your sister, and I hope her shoulder has healed well.

@smitty34877 Terry, I really hope seeing an old friend helps lift Tana's sprits.

@lindaler  Linda, the art walk looks like fun, except for the crowds.

@kazu  Jacqui, I'm glad you have your car back and that you stood up for yourself over the charges.  I think women do have to be more aware to keep from being taking advantage of.  When older DD was in college, she needed work on the Mustang she'd inherited from me.  The shop people did not think that was the problem DH mentioned.  DD left and came back with the official shop manual which and showed the the relevant page.  The problem was fixed.

@summer slope Dixie, and @StLouisCruisers Sandi,  Several years ago when we got our yellow fever shots at the county health department before a cruise to west Africa, I asked about malaria pills.  The nurse asked if we'd be on land after dark.  When I said no, she said we would not need them.   I thought you might like to know what we were told, to help you decide about getting the pills.  BTW, when I got DH's meds Wednesday, I asked if they used the GoodRX price, and was told no. I was told they always check similar discounters and they found one that was a lower price.  Now, that is good customer service.  The only time we've had to wait a day or two for a prescription, is when it is one they don't normally carry.

@marshhawk  Annie, YEAH! for a day off and two days off from dog walking.

@Heartgrove  Jack, thanks for the new pictures of Lily.  She is growing but still really cute and sweet.  I hope the walk through went well.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, sorry about the a/c issues, but wow on the penthouse.  I hope they helped you move.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 6

In Bora Bora while snorkeling on Patrick’s tours I noticed that I was getting quite far from the boat so I started to swim back. They didn’t provide fins and I quickly realized I’m not making any progress getting back to the boat. I finally had to raise my arm and request help. I was being held by a current. In the process my leg touched some coral and when I got back in the boat my leg was bleeding. Blood and sharks don’t mix so that was the end of snorkeling that day. There was plenty of black tip sharks around but the Lemon shark was huge!

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon from the Nieuw Statendam in port at Halifax. We had an early tour to Peggy’s Cove. It was beautiful even though the wind wanted to blow me away. 
9E081402-8095-48D0-ADD8-2A3FECC33328.thumb.jpeg.6b37e51fccccc07cb9aaa58aa1070246.jpeg

I have to admit that Craig took all the pictures. 

Back on the ship, up to the Crow’s Nest for a glass of wine then lunch. I decided I wanted a Ruben from the deli. But their Ruben isn’t like what it should be so I ask for it extra toasted, make sure the cheese is melted, and extra dressing on the side. Next time I’ll add an extra slice of cheese and it’ll be close to what I like. With Dive In fries, yum. 
C49EB69B-6E26-41B6-82F6-B201E3889648.thumb.jpeg.0a0eca6a6fadee5f5145c54b03f11c37.jpeg

I’ve decided that they really aren’t fries. They have to be processed and shaped like fries then frozen then fried. 

In the meantime, Craig has waited forever for a pizza. It ends up a bit burnt around the edges. He’s not happy. 

Tomorrow is Saint John. We still haven’t decided what to do and need to make a decision today. 

DS and his DGF have a pug. Hopefully he’ll calm down but he’s a bit feisty.  The girls like to take silly pictures of him. 
07B5687A-0C6B-4EAF-BF50-263416DE006C.thumb.jpeg.13f0a43bfcc7ce5ee20d7b40f94031ba.jpeg

I like Brussel Sprouts, usually at the holidays, but don’t overcook them!  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 23

@kazuJacqui, you left out a photo of Patrick's torch being lit 😁. That was a wonderful excursion. 

Crazy weather-it's supposed to reach 80 degrees tomorrow with no rain in sight for several more days. Very odd for Seattle. Today is also National Chili Day. And I'm starting my birthday week celebration today too. Time is flying by!

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@kazuJacqui, you left out a photo of Patrick's torch being lit 😁. That was a wonderful excursion. 

Crazy weather-it's supposed to reach 80 degrees tomorrow with no rain in sight for several more days. Very odd for Seattle. Today is also National Chili Day. And I'm starting my birthday week celebration today too. Time is flying by!

Oh yeah, didn't Jacqui get to light the torch once?  Someone had a photo and posted it.  Hope we get to see that one again.  Happy early birthday to you too!

How funny about Bruce @aliaschief's wife having the photo taken with Patrick and getting a little handsy.  I'm trying to figure out his expression that you mentioned.😉

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh yeah, didn't Jacqui get to light the torch once?  Someone had a photo and posted it.  Hope we get to see that one again.  Happy early birthday to you too!

How funny about Bruce @aliaschief's wife having the photo taken with Patrick and getting a little handsy.  I'm trying to figure out his expression that you mentioned.😉

It was that look of your wife has her hand on my butt!

image.thumb.jpeg.3e8ecad34cb4dfc621d42333bf99e9f6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 17