The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday November 25th, 2022

richwmn

Good morning. It’s raining here but not too cold. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. Not much going on today. I don’t do Black Friday after working in retail for 40 years. 
  @Crazy For Cats, if you want to make a slight detour for another stop I suggest Emma’s popcorn on route 340 the other side of Intercourse. Just keep going thru Bird in Hand . Also, Stoltzfus meats  is basically across the street from Kitchen Kettle.  Too many good places.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 18

@ottahand7I look forward to seeing Gerry’s @ger_77recipe too.  My Mom often made porcupine meatballs when I was growing up.  She used canned tomato soup for the sauce.  I prefer to make my own sauce similar to this recipe.  Also, I use instant rice because my husband find the long grain rice to firm.  These freeze beautifully.
https://thesuburbansoapbox.com/easy-porcupine-meatballs/

B1272635-C0F2-450F-BCB9-BD22C4D34FB6.thumb.webp.a5099508857aa83d2ba2543bb6d563fe.webp

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

@marshhawkyou really gave me a good giggle this morning!  No porcupines were harmed in the creation of this recipe, I assure you.

@ottahand7 this is our family's recipe - I think it originated when Minute Rice first came on the market, and has been a favourite ever since.  It can be doubled, tripled, etc., just add more water to the soup, otherwise the sauce becomes too thick and can burn.

Porcupine Balls

1 lb ground beef                                                                            1 med onion, chopped

1 cup uncooked Minute Rice         1 tsp salt                                     1 can tomato soup

Mix together the beef, onion, salt and rice.  Shape into balls and brown in a little oil, draining off fat.  When browned, remove to a casserole dish.  Add 1/2 cup warm water to frying pan, scraping up the browned bits.  Add the tomato soup to the pan, stirring well and pour mixture over the meatballs in the casserole.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, covered.  Remove cover, stir and bake another 15 to 20 minutes.

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 6

Good morning fellow Daily-ites. It looks like everyone enjoyed good food, family and friends yesterday. 

Kind of windy, rainy, icky today. I have indoor chores along with trying to get too much stuff packed into 2 suitcases for pick up Wednesday. 

@Himself I wish you a wonderful cruise Father. I'm hoping Sandi and Dixie are enjoying their time onboard. Prayers lifted for our CC friends and family. We need some more people on the celebration list!

Thank you to those who shared recipes. Here is my banana bread.

image.png.5516611a2369f3dfe2556027c902a3e5.png

image.png.e62a52c717d27b763d318c09e6cfe505.png

Have a great weekend. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Friday morning!  No Black Friday shopping for me.  Like Jacqui we did ours early booking a couple cruises for 2024.  Today I am meeting several members of our garden club to go cut pine branches by the truckload and then haul them to our Council House.  They will be used for the swags and fresh green arrangements for our annual Greens Sale a week from today.  Thankfully  we had a thaw the last several days so we hopefully won't be trudging through knee deep snow.     I was going to prune a lot off my Mugo pines and carpet junipers but most are still buried.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.   I love the quote by Fitzgerald.    Today's fish is an absolute no.   I will have my Laphroiag neat but the Pinot will probably be very tasty.   Thanks @grapau27for photos of today's port.  Thanks for our cares and celebrations list.   Very happy so see many in our group at sea or soon to be.    We have 31 days until we board the Volendam for our New Year's cruise B2B.   Prayers for all on our care list.  The poor people of Ukraine are all mainly in the dark due to Russian rockets disabling their electrical grid.   President of the EU calls for Russia to be designated as a State Sponsor of Terror due to their crimes against humanity.  Prayers for them and for this war to end. 

@ger_77 Would you share your recipe for the porcupine meatballs?  My mom made them once or twice when I was a kid and would like to have them.   

Have a nice day!  Nancy 

Thank you.

We had a nice day at the beach.

IMG_20221125_122806.jpg

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! I am officially exhausted. Thrilled to have a houseful to hug, but exhausted. My neighbors got the biggest kick out of the kids enjoying my pool & it’s 71.5 degree temperature. None of them (or me) would ever brave that temp. I apologize for the size, but the minute I reduce it, the photo alignment changes. 🤬

Brayden - 15, Aidan -14, Lyla - 11 and Cara -7. They have muscles! We called this the Polar Plunge. 

F1D0587F-7405-4610-A0C3-315667240319.thumb.jpeg.2231c57f09be0c972102cf1bb5c4be7b.jpeg

Thank you, Roy, for taking care of our lists. Yours is the gift that keeps on giving.  Morning everyone. My Gang departs for Orlando at 10:30 this morning. 😞

I will miss the hugs, giggles and joy of family, but I will be going up at Christmas & staying with Lyla & Cara. So I can look forward to that.

The Gand decided that this is the meme I should share today…😎

54706C40-6A7D-418A-A598-02D403E37C37.jpeg.bf41be01802f34610944d90af0949c65.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Labouré Roi Bourgogne Pinot Noir

This wine has very good consumer and critic ratings for the 2019 vintage, which is the only one I could find available. You might have better luck. Several online distributors with prices starting at $12.99.

86 Wine Enthusiast 

This soft, red -ruited wine has just the lightest smoky character. The wine's texture marries easily with the juicy acidity and fresh aftertaste. Drink now.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Good Morning from Devils Island.  It's hot, hot, hot!!!

Laphroaig Blood Mary Queen Scots cocktail:

Ingredients
2 1/2 parts Bloody Mary Mix
1/2 part Clamato Juice
1 part Laphroaig® 10 Year Old Whisky
1 large pinch Wasabi
1 bar spoon Soy Sauce
2 grinds Pepper, Black

Instructions
Muddle the soy sauce and wasabi together. Add ingredients to pitcher of ice while stirring. After all ingredients are nicely integrated, strain into a pint glass. Garnish with cracked pepper.

Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 9.35.45 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

Good morning from a wet central Texas.  I just eyeballed the rain gauge from the shelter of the front porch.  So far, we've received 3+ inches of rain.  It's too wet to get to it to see the real amount, and the fancy weather station only keeps totals for 24 hours, so the amount keeps dropping and rising.  We also have a north wind.  It looks like our highs will be in the mid-50sF for the next few days.  The past two days, we actually made it into the low 60s.

Like many Dailyites, we avoid the stores on Black Friday.  I'm not fond of shopping, especially with all the crowds fighting over stuff I don't need.  We did get a Black Friday deal on line yesterday for something we actually needed.  Since maize is sold as corn, I can celebrate the day.  According to Google, "not all corn is maize, but all maize is technically corn".  I can't remember the last time I had a parfait.  My mother made them for special occasions.

I like the Zelda Fitzgerald quote.

DH would like the Bronzini, but I'll pass and also in the drink.  The wine sounds good.  The price is good, too.  🍷

We have not been to Vigo, and I'm not sure if it's been the port of the day before.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich

Nice collection of days.  Guess I partook in Black Friday early when I booked a cruise 😉. Love today’s quote - so true.

Yum on Grilled Branzino and Vigo is a fantastic port.  If you see it on an itinerary, go for it.  The town itself has a beautiful old section and it’s not far from fantastic Santiago de Compostela 👍 

I’m not American but yesterday I was giving thanks for our wonderful CC member Rich @richwmn.  When he heard about my laptop problems, he contacted me and turns out he has tons of HP stuff.  After sending him pics and the model, yesterday a new charger arrived for me from him.  Seemed to work but when I unplugged it didn’t - then the light came on in the brain - leave it alone it’s been without power for a long time.  The light has turned red so I think it is going to work. 🤞 Thank you Rich - you have saved my bacon ♥️  (Hope I am not in trouble for posting this 🤞)

5AEFB50A-E037-4B6E-A627-06C79B192741.thumb.jpeg.6cb7ec9aacecdafa32af9f86c1fcff06.jpeg

copying @rafinmda bit - here is a sunrise from the Oosterdam - 

95D4EF31-D8BB-4FA5-8FBA-65858E300BA7.jpeg.aaeea63b249b4a6592d9da73a0204dbf.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Shout Out/Celebratory list.

65C3180D-773C-4E8D-AE76-D7BFA3325D9D.jpeg.697c62ecc8cb2226fe36a3f20ab8eda8.jpeg

Have a great Friday everyone and stay safe.

Jacqui, I loved the otter meme.

1 hour ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report and I hope everyone has a great weekend!

I am feeling better taking the covid meds. Not 100%, closer to 50%. 

I'm glad the meds are helping and you're beginning to feel better.  Hope you are 100% soon.

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Evening from the Noordam

Just returned from the show ( which was excellent) and time to call it a day. It is Friday night 10pm. 
There were Black Friday sales in the shops today. Nothing too exciting.  Yesterday there were signs all over Darwin about Black Friday sales. I was surprised, thought it was an American thing. I asked one of the shopgirls and she said it goes on the end of November into first week of December. She said this  had only been going on the last 2 years. Trying to rebuild the economy. 

stay safe and enjoy today

charlene

I guess many places are doing everything they can to boost the economy.  

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@ger_77  Is it legal to eat porcupine balls?

Good Friday Morning Dailyites!  The fridge is full of left overs, so I know what I will be eating for another 3 days.  I do see chicken salad sandwiches in my future.  But the spinach dishes do look delicious.

My cruise friends are showing some interest in my Greece cruise next year.  I guess he figures that his wife's dementia will still be under control?  I know that he does all the cooking now, and cleaning, and he is still working full time.  Three days at week at home, and two days in the office, when his daughter in law comes in and stays with his wife.  It would be nice to cruise with them again.

I love the quote.  It is beautiful.

I think I can do a nap this morning.  That would be nice, it's gray and cloudy and there was rain last night. Perfect for sleeping.

Bubbles-the stray, is injured, but he managed to get on the porch last night and slept through the night.  Feral Fawn slept next to him, but we put a cat bed out for him (as she had a pillow and blanket)  and being the true CAT that she is, she immediately dumped the bed, and started sleeping in the new cat bed.  He was afraid of blanket and pillow, so we I took it off the love seat, and left just blanket, and that's where he was this morning.  I will go out later and see if there is enough trust for him to let me look at his back leg.  Right now we are up to just petting, and that is only when Fawn is there.

237269-Smile-Its-Finally-Friday.jpg

Annie, I hope Bubbles let's you look at his leg, and that it is nothing serious.

Now it's time for breakfast and then cookie baking with lots of flour all over the kitchen counter.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all. Had a great time yesterday with family. There are activites planned for today and tomorrow but sometimes just staying home seems nice. I guess it will depend on whether the rain stops if I want to walk around a Pow Wow.  Thanks for the ship information and the drinks and food and care lists. Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread. 

• Like 19

Just a quick check-in; I'll be back to read the Daily later.

BFF and I had an exhausting 7-1/2 hour drive back home yesterday. And we were hungry and everything but gas station stores were closed. We did have some snacks in the car. Fortunately his dear next door neighbor texted us on the road and sent over 2 plates brimming with turkey and sides when we got to his house.

His 93 year old Dad is not doing well, with multiple issues. I'm headed to the hospital with BFF, as he wants me there due to my medical background and just as moral support. Prayers appreciated! Thanks.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 13

I think I would like the meal better without cilantro, and the drink strikes me as a waste of Laphroaig--plus, I can't drink Clamato. I think I have some Pinot Noir from France on hand (it is the typical grape of Burgundy), but not that one. I haven't been to Vigo and it's not on the itinerary for the Spanish Farewell next year.

For breakfast I had squash, which I liked for breakfast, plus multigrain bread with peanut butter. I think that lunch will be fruit; purple carrot, yellow bell pepper and [ordinary green] celery; and schnitzel. If so, dinner will be fish since it also goes with the wine that's open.

[Former English teacher here] In English novels, especially from the 19th century, it's important to remember that when they talk about Corn Laws, it has to do with wheat (or grain in general), not the maize that Americans call corn, and also not moonshine ("corn squeezins").

I need to go to TJX (ordinary shopping), Staples (electronics recycling), Kohl's (Amazon return),  Lowe's (return), and Petsmart (food for the Junior Cat), but I am certainly not going anywhere near that shopping strip today. The ordinary shopping is part of a long-term plan to replace almost every pan in my kitchen, because most of them won't work on an induction range and I plan to get one eventually. It is painful to replace them because (a) in a kosher kitchen, there are two full sets of everything, and (b) many of them are All-Clad, purchased ca. 1990 with a steep discount through a chef friend who was then an advertising spokesman for the company, and while many are stainless steel, magnets don't stick to some of them.

Impuritans.thumb.jpg.15c1dae7737b900801e302cf725aa652.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

19 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

BFF and I had an exhausting 7-1/2 hour drive back home yesterday. And we were hungry and everything but gas station stores were closed. We did have some snacks in the car. Fortunately his dear next door neighbor texted us on the road and sent over 2 plates brimming with turkey and sides when we got to his house.

His 93 year old Dad is not doing well, with multiple issues. I'm headed to the hospital with BFF, as he wants me there due to my medical background and just as moral support. Prayers appreciated! Thanks.

Our prayers have been sent Vanessa.

Graham.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Now it's time for breakfast and then cookie baking with lots of flour all over the kitchen counter.

FYI, I found a mound of sugar on the kitchen floor left over from my pie baking on Wednesday.  I thought I had vacuumed it all up, but I guess I missed some.  Sigh

@JazzyV I am glad you arrived safely and God Bless the neighbor who sent the food.   Hugs and warm thoughts for BFF's DF.  

• Like 14

I have something to 🎉CELEBRATE!🎉

(But @rafinmd it doesn't need to go on the lists.)

I just walked out to the mailbox on the street only to see the repairman I've been expecting parked nearby along the road. His company's digital message system had misfired sending him only a truncated address and no contact phone number. And, with his home office closed for the holiday weekend, he had no way to get the needed information. He was ready to leave and come again Monday.  My wandering out was truly serendipitous!

🎉-Melisa🎉

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a chilly Tucson. I’m taking it easy today after the craziness of yesterday. All I have to say is too many cooks in the kitchen. Our kitchen only is accessible for 2 people but the family seemed to think they had to join me even though we have a counter with barstools. I had to shoo them out several times. The Honey Baked Turkey and Ham were a success, although I probably won’t get a Turkey again because it was very sweet. The baked Brie was the hit of the appetizers. Here’s the recipe:  https://magnolia.com/blog/recipe/deff5e75-cec2-49cd-ba0d-340faeb72863/baked-brie/

I didn’t bother using a mixer like the recipe suggests, it’s easy to do it by hand if the butter is soft. 

I love corn so I’ll celebrate Maize day. I’m not going out to shop Black Friday sales. I got a lot of Black Friday emails so will happily shop from my recliner. Branzino is a wonderful delicate fish but rarely have it except when eating out and even then it’s expensive. The Bloody Mary sounds interesting. 

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  everyone. I realized while doing the dishes yesterday that I should have taken pictures.We had a very nice dinner for 10 and  had a lot of laughs and a few sentimental  tears(mine).

I don't  enjoy shopping with crowds so will forego shopping.I like the quote  and salute the other days.

Spinach Lasagna

preheat oven to 400

12 to 14 dried or fresh lasagna noodles

4 cups good tomato sauce

3 cups cooked spinach squeezed dry and chopped,about 1.5 lbs fresh

1 and a half cups ricotta

1 and a half cup mozzarella 

2 cups grated parmesan 

salt and pepper

Parboil noodles.Layer a rectangular  baking dish with sauce,noodles,a little more sauce and one third of the spinach followed by  one fourth of  the ricotta and the other cheeses.Repeat layers twice...Cheese should be on the top.

Bake 35 minutes,let it rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving. 

Enjoy the day and be careful out there.

Thank you for your recipe Terry. Have you ever used frozen spinach instead?

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good Friday morning!  No Black Friday shopping for me.  Like Jacqui we did ours early booking a couple cruises for 2024.  Today I am meeting several members of our garden club to go cut pine branches by the truckload and then haul them to our Council House.  They will be used for the swags and fresh green arrangements for our annual Greens Sale a week from today.  Thankfully  we had a thaw the last several days so we hopefully won't be trudging through knee deep snow.     I was going to prune a lot off my Mugo pines and carpet junipers but most are still buried.  

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.   I love the quote by Fitzgerald.    Today's fish is an absolute no.   I will have my Laphroiag neat but the Pinot will probably be very tasty.   Thanks @grapau27for photos of today's port.  Thanks for our cares and celebrations list.   Very happy so see many in our group at sea or soon to be.    We have 31 days until we board the Volendam for our New Year's cruise B2B.   Prayers for all on our care list.  The poor people of Ukraine are all mainly in the dark due to Russian rockets disabling their electrical grid.   President of the EU calls for Russia to be designated as a State Sponsor of Terror due to their crimes against humanity.  Prayers for them and for this war to end. 

@ger_77 Would you share your recipe for the porcupine meatballs?  My mom made them once or twice when I was a kid and would like to have them.   

Have a nice day!  Nancy 

My DM also made porcupine meatballs when I was a kid. I still have her handwritten recipe. I’ll check but I think it’s the same one Gerry @ger_77 posted. 

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Vanessa, I’m glad you got home safely. Prayers for BFF’s DF. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 18

Good morning, 

We had a nice Thanksgiving Day even if it was spent at the Care Center. Our friends brought us a lovely dinner - turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots from the garden, fruit salad, apple pie and Earl Grey tea. I supplied the homemade rolls and the staff gladly accepted the last 4 and were eating away on their break. DH had a hard time sitting up and keeping his body in control so I had him put back in bed and he ate every†hing on his plate - but slowly. I was getting ready to leave and he not-so-gently reminded me to make sure to leave his apple pie! 

I was out on Black Friday shopping this morning. I'll also do some on-line. Today was Fred Meyer for socks, boxers, Fat Max measuring tapes for DS (He gets one at Christmas and I save the other one for his birthday at the end of July), and ice cream. I went in the store in dry weather and came out to a lot of rain. Heading back in shortly as I get my Covid booster at 11:00 and then in to see DH. 

Have a great Friday! 

Karen

• Like 18

Yesterday was very quiet for me and the pups. I fixed the turkey breast, veggie salad, stuffing and a small pumpkin pie. I will be eating left overs for some time and I need to freeze some of the turkey. Pups got some small scraps. Otherwise I read and watched some of the World Cup. Have to get some hustle in today but not shopping except for a quick run for milk. Hopefully the grocery will be empty as everyone is facing their leftovers.

Little else here. @JazzyVHope the health situation improves. So glad the neighbor brought you some Thanksgiving. The drive home must have been tense ... to say the least. 

Susan

• Like 16

Good morning/afternoon. Late to bed and late to rise. We had a lovely traditional thanksgiving dinner. DIL made a pecan fig bourbon pie that was different but very good. Today I have take granddaughter to play ground duty which will be fun.

Another blue sky cool morning day that will warm up as the day goes on.

Roy you can take me off the celebration list as I have been here coming up on two weeks. We return Nov 30.

Have not and never will partake in Black Friday. For several years other then grandchildren we have not exchanged gifts but the money we would have spent goes to charity. It definitely takes off what to give pressures and the satisfaction that someone who really needs help is more rewarding.

Have a great day and enjoy those leftovers. Thanks for the reports.

• Like 15