The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 26th, 2023

richwmn

@grapau27 Thank you Graham for your kind words. They come back to you!  

@aliaschief Bruce, those photos of Flanders Field are emotional. The losses are staggering. I’m very glad you aren’t feeling symptoms from your head injury. I’m sure you’ll enjoy you last cruise days. Smooth travels home. 

@Nickelpenny Thanks for your frequent updates. I loved cross-country trips, especially with a cruise in them!  Outstanding ways to enjoy travel. You really showed us and your friend a grand time. But it’s always great to get home. Enjoy the comforts of Tucson!  

@rafinmd Beautifully said!  I don’t know how to imbed your quote here…. A symphony is like a painting painted on the canvas of silence. Couldn’t agree more. And with Annie @marshhawktoo that Americans are often too quick to fill the silence, maybe others too. I had a FIL who used to say no one ever learned while talking. Or maybe typing too… 🤣, I need to move on!  I keep checking for updates from Terry and Karen…. ❤️‍🩹
m—

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I'm finally cooling down. I picked up all the sticks and branch parts from the yard. Then did all the edging, including at the sidewalk grass strip. By that time, I was sweating a lot and my back was killing me. I sat down a couple of times just to ease the muscles. I came inside when I finished, thinking maybe if I revived I could start mowing. But Mother Nature had other ideas, as it started raining while I was inside, and now it's thundering. So I'm done for the day. I already feel the muscles and joints protesting, so I may need some ibuprofen before bed.

@aliaschief Very moving photos from Flanders Field.

@smitty34877 and @luvteaching Thinking of and praying for you both.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 13

14 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

@grapau27 Thank you Graham for your kind words. They come back to you!  

@aliaschief Bruce, those photos of Flanders Field are emotional. The losses are staggering. I’m very glad you aren’t feeling symptoms from your head injury. I’m sure you’ll enjoy you last cruise days. Smooth travels home. 

@Nickelpenny Thanks for your frequent updates. I loved cross-country trips, especially with a cruise in them!  Outstanding ways to enjoy travel. You really showed us and your friend a grand time. But it’s always great to get home. Enjoy the comforts of Tucson!  

@rafinmd Beautifully said!  I don’t know how to imbed your quote here…. A symphony is like a painting painted on the canvas of silence. Couldn’t agree more. And with Annie @marshhawktoo that Americans are often too quick to fill the silence, maybe others too. I had a FIL who used to say no one ever learned while talking. Or maybe typing too… 🤣, I need to move on!  I keep checking for updates from Terry and Karen…. ❤️‍🩹
m—

Yes indeed the casualty rate is staggering. I looked up 116,000 Americans and other countries a lot worse. Killed in action rate in millions. Our new generations mostly don’t seem aware of these sacrifices. Never erase history but learn to never do it again.

War is hell.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I don't have a beautician, I have a magician - I walk in looking like the cat dragged me around, and leave feeling like a new woman.  Forgiveness can be difficult, but it does help with the stress level to be able to forgive and move on.  Love canoeing, and did a lot of it a number of years ago.  

Well I'm in just getting the computer turned on and it's the middle of the afternoon.  We were up early (7:30), and I've started running out of ideas for different breakfasts, so decided to go with something simple and did Toad In The Hole, along with a fruit salad topped with whipped cream.  And lots of coffee.  Our friend had his leg angioplasty procedure this morning and was back in his room before the lunch hour.  He was told to lie still without doing anything for 4 hours, but he was texting back and forth with his daughter and wife.  They decided to go up and visit him (I wouldn't have), and came back for a quick lunch.  I made bunwiches with ham & cheese and served a bought peach pie with ice cream for a dessert.   In a short while we'll be off to Wallyworld and the Big Box store for not sure what, but they want to go and don't feel comfortable driving there themselves.

A big Happy Birthday to @mamaofami with many happy, healthy returns of the day.

@luvteaching, keeping you in my heart and prayers as you sit with DH and your DS.

@smitty34877I hope your DH's surgery went well and they were able to get in a good dose of chemo to help him.

@Seasick Sailor, @Vict0riann and @marshhawk sending good vibes to your DH's for better health ahead.

@cruising sister I hate it when you break a toe - I've done that before and it's SO painful!

@aliaschiefI'm glad you aren't feeling too bad after your tumble.

@kochleffel its good to hear your fall wasn't one that caused serious injury.  Just wondering, if you had an extra bedroom for your kitties to get accustomed to before venturing out into the rest of your house? That's what we did with our Sochi so she could get used to us feeding her, etc., and when she felt like it, she could come out and visit on her terms.

I'd like to try the drink of the day as well as the wine, but you had me at lamb.  However, our friends have requested salmon, so I'll be making panko crusted salmon, parmesan potatoes, Caesar salad and a shrimp ring for dinner.  Dessert will be ice cream with fresh strawberries, drizzled with butter pecan balsamic vinegar.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need (I'm sure I've forgotten someone), cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Today felt like the longest day but I just heard from the second surgeon.Lou is on his way to the recovery room after six hours in the OR.Everything went well with the chemo and the resection done laprosopically.Yes, as Maureen says, Amazing!

I was very aware of all of you behind us and I am so grateful.Thank you all so much.

All the best

Terry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 9

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@Cruising-along Feel better! I hate when that kind of thing happens from doing stuff. 

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Carolyn, I hope your neck is feeling better by now.

Thank you Vanessa and Lenda -- this afternoon I'm doing much better!  Just a hint of the pain that I had.  It's crazy how little things that used to be so easy now can knock everything out of whack for seemingly no reason.

• Like 13

Terry @smitty34877 I'm so thankful to hear this good news from you this afternoon.  I hope the following days in the hospital see lots of great progress in getting better for your DH Lou.  Get as much rest as possible because I have a feeling you'll be spending lots of time with him.   Prayers will continue of course!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Today felt like the longest day but I just heard from the second surgeon.Lou is on his way to the recovery room after six hours in the OR.Everything went well with the chemo and the resection done laprosopically.Yes, as Maureen says, Amazing!

I was very aware of all of you behind us and I am so grateful.Thank you all so much.

All the best

Terry

I'm delighted to hear everything went well for Lou today Terry.

Prayers 🙏 and good wishes for all of your family.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

All the best

Terry

Thank you for the update Terry.  Good to hear everything went well!  I hope you can get some rest tonight.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I've started running out of ideas for different breakfasts,

I’m a big fan of breakfast casseroles. Here’s my basic recipe.  Butter 8 slices of bread and cut into cubes.  Place in 8x 11 pan.  Sprinkle 2 cups grated cheese over bread.  Add anything in frig…cooked onions, peppers, spinach, mushrooms or breakfast meat.  Whisk 8 eggs with 2 cups milk.  Pour over bread cubes.  Refrigerate overnight.  Bake in 350 oven for 1 hour in the morning.  I believe the fancy name is breakfast strata.  I’ve also made it with frozen hash brown or tater tots.  Always a hit.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good afternoon, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I don't have a beautician, I have a magician - I walk in looking like the cat dragged me around, and leave feeling like a new woman.  Forgiveness can be difficult, but it does help with the stress level to be able to forgive and move on.  Love canoeing, and did a lot of it a number of years ago.  

Well I'm in just getting the computer turned on and it's the middle of the afternoon.  We were up early (7:30), and I've started running out of ideas for different breakfasts, so decided to go with something simple and did Toad In The Hole, along with a fruit salad topped with whipped cream.  And lots of coffee.  Our friend had his leg angioplasty procedure this morning and was back in his room before the lunch hour.  He was told to lie still without doing anything for 4 hours, but he was texting back and forth with his daughter and wife.  They decided to go up and visit him (I wouldn't have), and came back for a quick lunch.  I made bunwiches with ham & cheese and served a bought peach pie with ice cream for a dessert.   In a short while we'll be off to Wallyworld and the Big Box store for not sure what, but they want to go and don't feel comfortable driving there themselves.

A big Happy Birthday to @mamaofami with many happy, healthy returns of the day.

@luvteaching, keeping you in my heart and prayers as you sit with DH and your DS.

@smitty34877I hope your DH's surgery went well and they were able to get in a good dose of chemo to help him.

@Seasick Sailor, @Vict0riann and @marshhawk sending good vibes to your DH's for better health ahead.

@cruising sister I hate it when you break a toe - I've done that before and it's SO painful!

@aliaschiefI'm glad you aren't feeling too bad after your tumble.

@kochleffel its good to hear your fall wasn't one that caused serious injury.  Just wondering, if you had an extra bedroom for your kitties to get accustomed to before venturing out into the rest of your house? That's what we did with our Sochi so she could get used to us feeding her, etc., and when she felt like it, she could come out and visit on her terms.

I'd like to try the drink of the day as well as the wine, but you had me at lamb.  However, our friends have requested salmon, so I'll be making panko crusted salmon, parmesan potatoes, Caesar salad and a shrimp ring for dinner.  Dessert will be ice cream with fresh strawberries, drizzled with butter pecan balsamic vinegar.   And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need (I'm sure I've forgotten someone), cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Gerry, I'm very glad your friend is doing well after his angioplasty.  

20 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

All the best

Terry

Terry, thank you for sharing the good news that Lou is out of surgery and everything went well with the chemo and surgery.  It is amazing what they can do laparoscopically.  I know you and your family are very relieved.  I hope you can get some much needed rest tonight and while Lou is in the hospital.

11 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Vanessa and Lenda -- this afternoon I'm doing much better!  Just a hint of the pain that I had.  It's crazy how little things that used to be so easy now can knock everything out of whack for seemingly no reason.

Carolyn, that's good news that you are doing much better now.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today's report.   It's another humid day so the ac is going. This week is 10 hour work days so I can have Friday off.  Today's meal suggestion sounds interesting,  sometimes I like lamb and others not so much. 

@mamaofami happy birthday. 

Wishing everyone a nice Monday. 

20230626_072438.thumb.jpg.66920588adce9c58ecca7f3847b1823e.jpg

What a pretty flower, great photo

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Just wondering, if you had an extra bedroom for your kitties to get accustomed to before venturing out into the rest of your house? That's what we did with our Sochi so she could get used to us feeding her, etc., and when she felt like it, she could come out and visit on her terms.

When Sasha came to us, I kept her in my study for the first 10 days, initially because Fergus was very territorial, then because she had an upper respiratory infection, and after that because she had been spayed and needed to be kept quiet. My office here isn't large enough for two cats, and the only other room that might be suitable is the utility room. For now, I'm not looking very hard for them, because I don't want them to feel that they're being hunted. If I don't see them this evening, I'll set out some wet food for them, not only to entice them, but also because it's easier to tell how much was eaten.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@dfish Enjoy Frankenmuth. I'd like to visit there sometime. I get Bronner's catalogs in the mail.

If you decide to come, you and BFF have a place to stay.  

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

All the best

Terry

Thank you, Terry, for the update.  We are all still here, holding  you both close.   

@Cruising-along I'm glad your neck is better.  I hate when that happens and it usually isn't due to anything I can put my finger on.  Just living and aging.

@cruising sister Ouch on the toe!   I hope it heals quickly!

Speaking of aging, I felt every nanosecond of my age today.  We had a full day keeping a six year old entertained.  She was really pretty good and enjoyed the shopping at the outlet mall, visiting Bronner's, and shopping in the River Walk shops in Frankenmuth.  She found a fairy village store and bought some stuff to build a fairy village in our back yard.  She's still going strong, but her grandmother and I are failing fast.  We have instituted a quiet time from now to bedtime.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

@Cruising-along I'm glad your neck is better.  I hate when that happens and it usually isn't due to anything I can put my finger on.  Just living and aging.

Speaking of aging, I felt every nanosecond of my age today.  We had a full day keeping a six year old entertained.  She was really pretty good and enjoyed the shopping at the outlet mall, visiting Bronner's, and shopping in the River Walk shops in Frankenmuth.  She found a fairy village store and bought some stuff to build a fairy village in our back yard.  She's still going strong, but her grandmother and I are failing fast.  We have instituted a quiet time from now to bedtime.

No kidding about not knowing what causes these quirky pains!  And the older I get the easier it is to happen. 

Good idea to institute quiet time, we have to do that with the grandsons too.  I run out of steam way before they do.

• Like 12

@dfishand @Cruising-along, the grandkids are a great joy as well as a challenge.  We have four of them under age five within seven minutes of our house.  That's a large part of why I can't post more or keep up with the Daily.  (I skim and keep in prayer those who are struggling.)

There is a constant whirlwind around here.  People tend to wait longer to start families, so we grandparents are that much older.  It's not easy to keep up.  I step back and have rest days myself to regroup. The littlekins don't seem to need any rest! 

• Like 14

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

All the best

Terry

Thank you for letting us know, Terry. Hope you all get some good rest & and that the rest of Lou’s recovery goes smoothly. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877. 🙏 Oh thank you Terry!  You must be exhausted. Yes, Amazing is the hope! Sounds like DH is in very good hands.  One day at a time is Everything!  There’s two things you have to do tonight:  Breathe In, Breathe Out!  We’re all sending you our love!  

@kochleffel SO glad you weren’t seriously hurt!  You have new fur babies who need you more than they know, and you will be there for them for sure. Hope you all sleep well tonight. 

@dfish Debbie I made the Sweet and Sour Chicken. The veggies were tasty. The sauce was very good. The chicken was good texture- I coated it in cornstarch and pan fried it. But the chicken needed to be seasoned. It didn’t absorb the sauce flavors and was rather tasteless. Maybe using peanut oil would help.  I even added a few drops of sesame oil but not enough. Just a bit of feedback. I have to say it was better than my previous attempts. Thanks for your faithful work providing inspiration to those of us who have made thousands upon thousands of suppers. 

• Like 12