The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday August 6th, 2023

richwmn

Awake much too early this morning but that’s not a bad thing. Used the time to start researching Quebec history and look for a guide to Quebec City. I was there with my parents when I was 13, a very long time ago. My French is also from almost that long ago, Junior High and High School, and just as fuzzy.  I’m excited about the cruise next month but have to refocus for our car trip next week. It’s all good!  

Sad history recalled today with Hiroshima and all the atrocities of that dark era. Unfortunately we are not ever without war somewhere.  

Blessings to those in need of healing, comfort or hope. Prayers for Ukraine, and all the needs shared here. Hoping for improvements for all. 

Cheers to those celebrating birthdays, anniversaries and accomplishments. Smooth travels for all away and especially thinking of our cruisers. 

One of our granddaughters was allergic to most food groups: Red meats, fish, wheat, soy, legumes, dairy, eggs….  It was hard traveling with her but in our trailer we were able to stock and prepare safe meals for her. She loved my lasagna:  not vegan, she could eat poultry so Italian-seasoned ground turkey worked well; gluten free noodles; “Rice-cheese” for the mozzarella; and for the ricotta I mashed tofu into a “white sauce” made with coconut milk, olive oil and cornstarch and with a lot of garlic- it was just the right texture; sauce was from canned tomatoes and tomato paste plus organic herbs, onions, mushrooms, and more garlic. She loved that I’d eat it too with her so she didn’t feel so ostracized but it really was delicious. If I wanted it to be vegan I’d use either a chickpea falafel mix or textured soy protein but DGD couldn’t eat legumes or soy so those weren’t safe for her then. I used some of these methods when DH was in cancer treatment and his diet needs were awkward.  Thankfully DGD outgrew most of the severe allergies and can now eat anything but nuts - peanuts are still deadly for her and put her in the ER periodically from an unsuspected cross contamination. She still eats mostly poultry but doesn’t have to worry about getting sick if there’s meat in something. And I’ve really enjoyed our cruise dinners watching her experiment with new foods, what a joy!  When she was 8 yrs old she was on a nasal feeding tube for several months to help her system heal. It was rough patch but now she’s an amazing, healthy woman of 29!  Thank you Tina @0106 for all your inspiring ideas and showing us there are so many options we may not be aware of!  

Maureen 

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. The weather folks are warning of strong storms today and tomorrow with temps in the mid eighties. 
I love the blues in all of its variations. It just does something to this soul and always makes me feel better to listen to it. Farm workers are appreciated and Hiroshima should never be forgotten. I will pass on the vegan lasagna but appreciate the recipes. We have not been to the port.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, thanks for posting the picture of your Pinnacle Dinner. It is so nice to see Dailyites getting together.

@kazu, Jacqui, what a great picture of Ivan! I am so glad he is doing better these days.

I am trying to decide what to make for dinner. I was going to ask DSIL to put burgers on the grill but the weather will put a hold on that idea. I guess I could cook them inside but may make something else. I found a recipe for lentil and tomato salad that sounded very good but that will only make half of the group happy.

There we’re three large parties going on on our small street yesterday. I heard an incredibly beautiful trumpet playing a solo that brought tears to my eyes. I could not see the soloist but they sure were talented. The house across the street had Irish fiddle music right on the front lawn and I sat outside on the steps to enjoy it. They were in competition with the Salsa music two houses down. It was wonderfully festive and reminded me of what my granddaughter calls  “the before times”. The weather was perfect last night with a little breeze and only 83 degrees.

Enjoy the day everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Beautiful day here in Boston.  I really like blues music.  Farm workers keep food on our tables.  Let’s hope there is never another atomic attack, differences have to be worked out.  Great advice in today’s quote.  I’ll pass on today’s meal and drink suggestions.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list today.  Cheers to those of you celebrating happy events!

• Like 25

@Copper10-8 Bon Voyage!   🍾🛳️

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Reports @richwmn.  Hiroshima was the beginning of the end of WWII in the Pacific, I enjoy blues more than jazz and farmworkers are really important so we can eat.  A good quote.  I will pass on the vegan lasagna and the cocktail but I really like Cava I wish it was easier to find. Thanks for the the lovely photos of Malta @Quartzsite Cruiser.    Thanks @cat shepard, @0106 and @summer slope for researching these for us every day. 

Thanks for keeping us up to date @JazzyV.  Prayers for everyone on our Care list, baby Murphy, @1ANGELCAT friend Barb, and the people of Ukraine.  

@StLouisCruisers, thanks for the photo of you dinner with @dfishand Sue and your DH. I hope the fog clears for you. 

@kazu thanks for the beautiful lily photos yesterday and the picture of Ivan starting to grow some eyebrows.  

We had a nice time at wine and tapas last night.  They really need some help on outreach to the community to get some better silent auction items. The food and all but one of the wines were very good.  I am smoking a pork shoulder, the last big cut from my 1/2 hog.  I am afraid all the county fairs in Michigan will have no 4-H hogs after this week.  CDC has confirmed 2 cases of human transmission of swine flu in Michigan.  

A day of grill tending and gardening for me, fishing for John.  Have a lovely Sunday. Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Prince Chritian Sund is busy today! Besides the Volendam, the Seven Seas Voyager, MSC Poesia, Ocean Nova, Seabourn Venture, and Hurtigruten Maud are transiting through. I almost convinced Sue to last minute book the MSC Poesia.  Besides it's full 21-night RT cruise from Copenhagen to Nuuk, it recently started offering a shorter Iceland/Greenland 11-night Reyjkavik to Nuuk to Akureyi. I have been conversing with a CC poster on the MSC forum and he said that the Poesia was only about 70% full with about 100 passengers boarding in Reyjkavik. We circumnavigated Iceland in 2021 so it would have been a nice addtion to our cruise history. I can always hope for next year the flight for us is just a bit longer than going to the West Coast plus we get discounted fares from MSC!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need today.

- Jack

• Like 29

Good Morning from a warm and sunny dayv at the beach

We did not get the storms yesterday that @cat shepard had. Few sprinkles, that was it.  Forecast for some showers this evening. We will see.

@Copper10-8  Have a wonderful trip

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, great picture of all you enjoying the Pinnacle Grill. I think it  is great when dailylites meet.

We had unexpected news yesterday from my niece. All good. She is engaged! We are very happy for her and her wonderful DH to be. 

Quiet here today. Nice after a very busy couple of weeks with company. 

You are all in my prayers.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday morning Dailyites. Thank you Graham for Father David's message.  Your church is so beautiful. We enjoyed church services throughout Europe. 

Bon Voyage to @Copper10-8 and your bride. I'm sure there is a posting for us to follow you.

Another hot day. Our yards are so dry. We get 1 water day and it's not near enough to keep things alive. 

image.png.20c212f1d41b67edb8b47b8a90b30e26.png

Prayers lifted for all on our prayer list. Turning on the news is so sad, between wars, threats, shootings, stabbings, political warfare, makes our celebrations so much more appreciated. 

Yesterday we went to a special event at Pupology,  a store filled with fresh foods, treats, organic treatments, toys etc. I've tried so many foods in the last 3 weeks but Oliver hasn't been eating much. I was promised this raw frozen food made with turkey and sardines would do the trick. And it did. He's gobbled up his last 3 dishes. He's a chewer, so they suggested frozen raw turkey necks and buffalo bones to keep him busy. If it works it will be worth money spent.

I read a book by John Hersey on Hiroshima that gave detail on what transpired in the eyes of survivors and history. I pray it never happens again. 

Farmer's are hard workers who keep us alive. Even frozen and canned foods need to be picked by someone. 

image.png.b5d98f537ed03bb26c3855223a7adbb1.png

Wishing you all a wonderful day. Blessings to you and your family. Special hugs for sweet "S".

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you Rich, thank you Tina, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here!

Prince Chritian Sund is busy today! Besides the Volendam, the Seven Seas Voyager, MSC Poesia, Ocean Nova, Seabourn Venture, and Hurtigruten Maud are transiting through. I almost convinced Sue to last minute book the MSC Poesia.  Besides it's full 21-night RT cruise from Copenhagen to Nuuk, it recently started offering a shorter Iceland/Greenland 11-night Reyjkavik to Nuuk to Akureyi. I have been conversing with a CC poster on the MSC forum and he said that the Poesia was only about 70% full with about 100 passengers boarding in Reyjkavik. We circumnavigated Iceland in 2021 so it would have been a nice addtion to our cruise history. I can always hope for next year the flight for us is just a bit longer than going to the West Coast plus we get discounted fares from MSC!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need today.

- Jack

Thanks for info. The Sund is not that wide for all those ships. May need a huge shoe horn to get ships by each other 😀. In 2010 on the VoV lots of ice in Sund and a observation plane had to fly through Sund before we entered to make sure it was clear to sail!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Happy Sunday Morning Dailyites!  My list of things to do today, breakfast, grocery shop, go over to Penny's for a swim, before the rains come.  If the rains come early, then stay home and maybe nap.

Leg cramps woke me at 4 this morning, and sleep was on and off after that.

I love blues music.  Heck, I love all music,  but i like to mix it up. I used to go to Blind Willies alot for the blues, but the last time I was there was to see Tom Rush, one of my favorite folk singers from the past. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Alley-Cat-Blues-Final-Art-1024x1024.jpg

48f0d9b2f8dd9f6a4f424f86d1919038.png

Words-of-Encouragement.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 29
  • Haha 2

The fog cleared and everyone is enjoying our slow sail through Prince Christian Sound.  We met with FCC Annette and the fog lifted as we finished up. I went on the bow for photo taking. 

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

In 2017 we overnighted in Valletta, Malta on Prinsendam, because Captain DD learned it would be too rough to tender in Gozo the next day.  In 2019 on Veendam, we were able to tender in Gozo.

These first ones are from our visit in 2017.  Since we were going to be there overnight, we rented a car and took the ferry to Gozo the first day.  The ferry from Malta.  

DSC02160.thumb.JPG.f4b37f4d89aa87de48615ed9fc93869e.JPG

DSC02161.thumb.JPG.d6a506aa7fcd9f571dfaf6382c24d85a.JPG

DSC02167.thumb.JPG.bf92b8f508c7f1be68150296fbc3a1e1.JPG

A couple of street scenes and our drive around the island. 

DSC02188.thumb.JPG.4aa61adf263f2822de37684d31b96a4e.JPG

DSC02189.thumb.JPG.cab5b98a4b52dfd620846592cf3b7d89.JPG

We stopped at the Gran Castello, and spent some time wandering through it.  

DSC02193.thumb.JPG.0e30fd392ba57b10390e829d97fce64b.JPG

DSC02196.thumb.JPG.c07501d853cd37401baaaa2c344cd9a9.JPG

DSC02198.thumb.JPG.05a4a3bd494d425256729686ed5cc468.JPG

One of the views overlooking the island from the fortress.

DSC02200.thumb.JPG.84eff84a763043784f6a62e19b735a52.JPG

We were in Gozo in October 2017, after the Azur Window collapsed.  This is the after picture.

DSC02216.thumb.JPG.5640b7f32c4fc175c4bfefbd3af1d298.JPG

In 2019, the Veendam was able to anchor.  That day, we took the Ho-Ho, and saw some different parts ot the island.  

DSC07979.thumb.JPG.9531d1dbe38222c4be01c0b2e5a6a5fd.JPG

DSC08001.thumb.JPG.9ee86951e0e1ab92b6002bbe67a9a927.JPG

DSC08019.thumb.JPG.5128ca50e2183462bb76fe09db03187b.JPG

DSC08046.thumb.JPG.694ecbfcc2339fe7336cc475a417c7de.JPG

And I'll leave your with a picture of the Veendam at anchor, ugly stern and all.  

DSC08056.thumb.JPG.e7ffcb06515ce6f4fbc0513f810e20b8.JPG

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I checked both links to the pictures and your pictures did not load on my computer.  I clicked on the enhance link on your post, and I got the message the Shutterfly page was not accessible.  

Lenda

Isn’t it odd you can’t see my photos either?  I have no idea why not as that generally doesn’t happen. I figured it was a problem here but not if you can’t see them either. Thanks for trying. We also took the double decker tour bus and it was quite hot there. I wished the bus had a roof over our heads that day. 

• Like 25

37 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I read a book by John Hersey on Hiroshima that gave detail on what transpired in the eyes of survivors

I taught this book to my 10th grade World Literature students during a unit on WWII.  It is important to remember the impact of an atomic bomb on the people who survive the explosion.  I suggest it as a companion to the Oppenheimer movie.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good Sunday Morning to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports and thanks to all who post pictures and cartoons.  It starts my day with a smile.

I occasionally will listen to blues, hopefully we will never have another Hiroshima.  I salute farmworkers as my Dad was a migrant farmworker as a child.  They would go from farm to farm in CA picking crops until, according to my Dad, around 7 years of age his Mother said he had to start school.  He did not want to.  He only spoke Spanish and picking crops was all he knew.  Fast forward - He received a MBA, was the import/export director at Beckman Instruments (now Beckman-Coulter) then became a Safety Engineer and they traveled the world.  It all started in a farm field!  (Can you tell - I think my Dad is an amazing person!!).

Interesting quote, I will pass on the meal (lasagna HAS to have cheese at least!!) and drinks and have never been to the port.  Boy, the church really had some turbulent times.

Lazy day today as we are still under an excessive heat warning but only up to 108F predicted.  No rain the last couple of days unfortunately.  Humidity even right now at 0730 is too high for my liking - 32%.  Oh, well.  Decided not to make the trek to the beach this morning.  Will leave early tomorrow morning to be in CA by noon.  Probably will leave around 0300.  I do this a lot.  🙂 

Thoughts for those on the care list and cheers to those sailing and celebrating.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• Like 28

Happy Sunday! Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Not sure how I feel about vegan lasagna as I love cheese. 

It is warm and humid here. Looking forward to the fall. Fall is pretty much my favorite time of year. 

Spending the day with the pets who all know how to spend a lazy Sunday. I may go out to do some weeding in the front bed. 

Thinking of all who are on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

This is how I Feel on sunday morning! | Morning cat, Morning quotes ...

• Like 28

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Photo taken on my TV screen a few minutes ago. I’m back in my cabin right at the moment. 
IMG_3621.thumb.jpeg.1c009ad3442fb5ff106fcec34283b9b9.jpeg

Following as I'm going to be in Greenland in about two weeks, on Oceania. You guys have been having pretty nice weather and it doesn't look too chilly on the bow. What have the temps been like for you?

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

Some scenic sights

IMG_2714.thumb.jpeg.cb1fdff521977d8c7e29ba1e2f743601.jpeg

IMG_2713.thumb.jpeg.e2b12203b800722c96c53374b8b82803.jpeg

IMG_2706.thumb.jpeg.ccc024d70c10d1268d7edbea8e38be4f.jpeg

IMG_2703.thumb.jpeg.796e4d4dc94059fd112cc0198c09abd5.jpeg

IMG_2699.thumb.jpeg.af824c2d89c6733dc5329c8848710cb2.jpeg

IMG_2689.thumb.jpeg.c65d597e8d9c75ac7948262ee35f99db.jpeg

IMG_2686.thumb.jpeg.aa3dd61bfcb75719a5dda37093e2876e.jpeg

IMG_2675.thumb.jpeg.a2c2523685e298ee07f6a23828edb275.jpeg

IMG_2674.thumb.jpeg.edbd13ab4c0f74e9af702b316e8bcc33.jpeg

Great Photos!!!

Another interesting cruise story, I think. On our 2012 VoV cruise while sailing through Prince Christian Sund, a very strange thing happened. It was a partly cloudy day with temps in the lower 50’s. I was at the back of the ship on the Lido Deck taking photos. We were just finishing the final cruising through the Sund when in the next 30 seconds the winds went from 5 mph to close to 60 mph! Deck chairs and lounge chairs started flying across the deck. The Captain immediately came on the PA to tell everyone to get inside the ship. I had a very difficult time getting back inside; the wind was incredible. The wind died down in 20 minutes.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Good morning. Am enjoying all the pictures. Makes me want to get traveling. I know I really enjoyed the VoV years ago. It was foggy at times but it lifted. I remember someone complaining loudly about the fog horn. And I love Ivan's lovely eyes.  He looks so content.

It was actually about 48F when the dogs and I went out and the current temp is only 60.... but it will get hot later. Haven't heard anything about the fires and can't see any smoke so I am hoping they got them beaten down pretty quickly.

Today will be slow day with sorting and putting stuff in the trash or the recycle bin and again getting a couple light boxes for the shelter thrift store. I have my eye on the hall closet. I think tonight's meal will be a grilled pork chop and salad. Nothing really exciting. Take care all.

Susan

• Like 25