The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 7th, 2023

richwmn

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

A question for the dailyite family.  Does anyone have experience and/or recommendations regarding Senior Medical Alert Systems?  The 2 that seem to be most prominent are Life Alert (poor reviews) and Jitterbug (requires changing phone carriers) but there are a few others.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Roy

Roy, I used Medical Guardian and am very pleased with it. I can verify that it works and also you do not need any additional equipment. And I have tested it away from my house several times and again, it works.

Susan

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

If you have a home security system in your house, check with that provider to see if they have an Emergency Alert option.  I’ve had friends with the Jitterbug System and the Lifeline System and with the system associated with their home security system.  Regarding response times when needed, the home security system was fastest, then the Jitterbug system, slowest was Lifeline.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Roy, I used Medical Guardian and am very pleased with it. I can verify that it works and also you do not need any additional equipment. And I have tested it away from my house several times and again, it works.

Susan

@rafinmdTo add to what I said.... I use Medical Guardian and it is available in several devices. I wear one around my neck. If you remember last Christmas I left it at home when I went to a friends house .... my dogs pulled it down....it registered a fall and they did start contacting people when I did not answer. Fortunately the house where I was visiting was called (it was #3 in my call list) and I got emergy dispatch stopped but I was impressed. It was good test of the system and now I know to keep it out of Bandit's reach. I test it now from time to time. And no matter where I have been, it works.

Susan

• Like 14

@smitty34877 a darling picture of beautiful Camilla! Happy to see her growing-up nicely. 😊

@Cruising-along, I am also really looking forward to the GV AUS/NZ!

I am still organizing things, probably too much. LOL I tend to overplan...

A much better countdown number than when we first started.

Have a good evening everyone. 

Caron

Edited by Cruisercl
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

@rafinmdTo add to what I said.... I use Medical Guardian and it is available in several devices. I wear one around my neck. If you remember last Christmas I left it at home when I went to a friends house .... my dogs pulled it down....it registered a fall and they did start contacting people when I did not answer. Fortunately the house where I was visiting was called (it was #3 in my call list) and I got emergy dispatch stopped but I was impressed. It was good test of the system and now I know to keep it out of Bandit's reach. I test it now from time to time. And no matter where I have been, it works.

Susan

Is yours one that you can wear when you go out to a hike or something like that.  I was surprised that you said you left it home when you went out.

Roy

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

HI

Since you are in UK can your help me with a question?

Trains from Heathrow to Southampton, do they need to be reserved or can just pay and get on at the airport same day as flying in.  thanks in advance.   I have only done one sailing and it was with Celebrity as I did a hotel package.

It is always best to book in advance.

The Trainline for trains.

National Express for coaches.

Heathrow airport Taxis.

Screenshot_20230807_221715.jpg

Screenshot_20230807_221744.jpg

Screenshot_20230807_221848.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Is yours one that you can wear when you go out to a hike or something like that.  I was surprised that you said you left it home when you went out.

Roy

I wear it at home and I wear it when I go out walking the dogs. I don't usually wear it when I do things like going to the store since I feel like someone would notice if I fell or needed help. It can be worn around neck with fall detection and it can also be carried in my pocket when I go somewhere where I want it but it not wanted around the neck. It flashes and can be very visible if I am wearing light clothes. I sometimes put it in the car with me but then leave it there when I join  friends. Just my preference. If I push the button on it, I get a response that asks if I need help. I am testing, so I say "testing" but if I needed help they would send it. It does have GPS if I am unable to give them my location.

Susan

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon from a hot central Texas.  We've been working on the convertible since mid-morning, and finally finished just before 4pm.  DH decided we could change to sparkplugs today. It was not as easy as we hoped.  They make things pretty tight under the hood now days, and it took a while to get the cover off the spark plugs, which are different from any other car we've had.  We had to go on line to learn how to reach the spark plugs, and then it was slow work.  We finally got all the new ones in, and every thing back together with no extra screws or parts.  

However, all was not well.  When I started the car, it would turn over but then quickly die.  There is a new system that attaches to the top of the sparkplug and we think one of those did not seat itself correctly,  So there will be another day of working on the car, but hopefully it will go more quickly the next time since we know what to do and how to do it.

We are both hot, sweaty and tired, and DH over did it today even though I tried to do as much as possible.  When we were finished before we realized the car would not start, I told him I'm retiring from changing sparkplugs and hopefully from other work on cars.

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oliver's bath went great. He enjoyed the shampoo rub and I used a tumbler to rinse him since both shower heads are a bit scary for him right now. He smells like oatmeal and looks so cute. His fur is growing!

0807230928_HDR.thumb.jpg.78a3c721e8656c9dc4b5c905de2e7bf8.jpg

0807230929a.thumb.jpg.a349d44ce9b8af1b239726cf7274509f.jpg

Joy, that's a neat way to give Oliver a bath.

Here are two pictures of the Tower of Hercules, the lighthouse in A Coruna, Spain.

IMG_3138.thumb.JPG.8863cf5e814325acb99ac446d0d6b3e1.JPG

Under the lighthouse are vestiges of the old Roman lighthouse.

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.737ba53db9546912d5bc869888326057.JPG

The only lighthouse in Dover that I have a picture of is on the end of the jetty at the entrance to the harbor, and it is not that old.

Now, I'm going to take a much needed shower.

Lenda

• Like 20

They have several styles including a smart watch but only one style or two have the fall detection. Remember I got mine after I did a nasty face plant in the dark late one night. Fortunately a neighbor came home late and found me while I was struggling to figure out how to get up without dropping the leases on the dogs. When I am alone, I wear it. Out with friends or in public.... I figure someone will help. Their smart watch is interesting, but I am not sure I am up to it.

Susan

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I was very happy to see when I registered for jury duty that there was offered a covid deferral, only to find out that they no longer are doing that, so unless I can get out of it by being diabetic, or I can get Chuck's doc to write a letter, then I'm stuck doing jury duty.

Annie I was surprised too that jury duty doesn't have a deferral for Covid.  I for one do not want to sit in a room full of unmasked people all day in close quarters.  

Some states have an age limit, you could check on that.  Unfortunately my state does not.

They also should take a letter from your employer if it would cause a hardship for you and/or the company to do jury duty.

DH's doctor wrote a letter the last time he got a summons and it released him from all future jury duty.

Good luck!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I've been called several times for jury duty, but served only once. The first time, I suspected that I'd be excused because of my job, but the case didn't go to trial. The next time, the jury was filled before the voir dire got to me.

The third, I again thought that I'd be excused from serving because of my work (not the same kind of job, btw), but they filled the jury right before getting to me. That case was a lesson in how to avoid jury service, with prospective jurors giving all kinds of bizarre excuses. My favorite was the one who told the prosecutor that every member of her family, including herself, had been killed or maimed by doctors. This was an employment case, not a malpractice case, but one of the parties was a doctor.

The most recent was where I live now, and again the jury filled before it was my turn. If I had been interviewed, I would have had to tell the judge that I had followed a similar case very closely in the 1990s and would probably have been excused.

The only time I've served was in Massachusetts, where there is, in effect, no voir dire. Unless you're in jail or in the hospital, or you know one of the parties in the case, you're likely to serve. The judge in that case had served on a jury the month before, in a different courthouse where the court personnel wouldn't recognize him.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

The only time I was called to jury duty was while I was on the Grand Asia and South Pacific cruise on the Amsterdam in 2008. The notice to appear arrived in the mail after we left and the date for jury duty passed during our 65 days at sea. 

I panicked when I found the summons in the mail after we got home and I called the county - the way it worked at the time was the summons contained a jury number - and the day before your assigned day you were to call in and see if they needed your number to show up - they looked up the date I was called in and it turned out that my jury number was so high that I was excused from duty that day.  

Whew!  No harm no foul. 

• Like 14

I'm now exempt from jury duty due to my age.  My number came up several times in the time frame of 1990-2008 but each time when I was due to be off on a cruise.  Each time i called and was given a deferral.  Finally in 2008 I was given a summons for something like November 28 to December 20.  I was on a cruise November 21-December 1.  I called and asked if I could comply but be excused from the first few days and they agreed so I had finally gotten to the end of the string of summons.  I was never called.

Roy

• Like 14

Late to the party, I’ll catch up soon!  
We have  spent a lot of time on Crete,  Heraklion is not our favourite but recommend visiting Aghios Nikolas, it has a town on a lake as well as the sea.  Elounda  and Plaka  are also interesting,  you can visit the island of Spinalonga where there was a leper colony during the war.  And of course Knossos.    And the ancient Malia Palace…..

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1692.jpeg

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1532.jpeg

IMG_1630.jpeg

IMG_1626.jpeg

IMG_1556.jpeg

IMG_1548.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

I served on a grand jury many, many, many years ago when I was a graduate student at Univ. of Wisconsin. It was interesting, that is all I can say. I was called a number of times in Durango but never served. One time I sat through 2 days of jury selection before I was excused.... I think the judge was being a pain. I was exhausted and my doctor wrote me a letter be excused forever. It worked.

Susan

• Like 16

Just an update.

The Termite Company will honor the Bond and will be here on Thursday to do the inspection.  That is good because there is one area of concern in the house and we will be able to show it to them and hopefully get it taken care of if it is caused by termites.

Also I received a call from the A/C company today.  They told me they have to install another board in the compressor. I told them the A/C was working but they said the second board has to be replaced,  So they are coming on Wednesday to do that.

Tomorrow we are seeing the attorney to update our wills.  Actually we are planning to draft new wills. This has been a very hard thing to do.  DH had a very hard time understanding what he needed to prepare.  We finally finished this afternoon.  We spent hours on the cruise working on this.  I am so glad we have finally gotten to a place that we are both happy with. Phew!

So that takes care of the week.  If we are up to it we will go to Costco on Friday.  We will see.

Good night all.

Terri

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Annie I was surprised too that jury duty doesn't have a deferral for Covid.  I for one do not want to sit in a room full of unmasked people all day in close quarters.  

Some states have an age limit, you could check on that.  Unfortunately my state does not.

They also should take a letter from your employer if it would cause a hardship for you and/or the company to do jury duty.

DH's doctor wrote a letter the last time he got a summons and it released him from all future jury duty.

Good luck!

I'm in Bremerton & the last time I received a jury summons there was an age related deferral which I selected & was excused.  Maybe it's a county thing....I'm in Kitsap County.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877If you don't mind, perhaps you could give a brief description of why Camille is so special to everyone. There have been quite a few new members of the Daily that might be interested. Thanks!

@rafinmdMy friend has the Samsung watch that includes fall detection. She has been very happy with it-once she figured out what everything does (she's 91).

• Like 10

Evening all, had some nasty storms come through around 6 pm. Lots of rain and wind with trees and wires down all over the place. Storm finally over. Cats were not happy with the thunder. Stay safe for those of you still waiting for the storm.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

I'm in Bremerton & the last time I received a jury summons there was an age related deferral which I selected & was excused.  Maybe it's a county thing....I'm in Kitsap County.

Interesting.  I know DH was 74 when he was called and was told there is no age limit here...that's why his doctor wrote the letter.  We're in Snohomish County.  At the very least it's complicated.  A Google search found this https://www.elderlawanswers.com/called-for-jury-duty-you-may-be-excused-based-on-your-age-15650

And WA state isn't even listed.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Good evenint.

Re the discussion about fall detectors. I wear an Apple watch. If I fall or even bang my hand hard, it will ask me if I'm ok or to contact emergency services (my phone has to be nearby or wifi, since I don't have cellular service on my watch). If the watch detects you're immobile for about a minute, it calls emergency services automatically. With the iphone14, it you have no signal or wifi (say out hiking somewhere) it will use satellite to call for help.

I've wanted to be on a jury, but have only been called twice I think. You had to call the day before, and I never had to report. In PA, at age 70 you can be permanently exempt for jury duty, if you wish.

You can't make these things up! A dog was abandoned at the airport here. The owner was denied boarding with the dog, as it wasn't in a proper carrier. She boarded the plane, and the dog was found in a stroller in the parking lot. The dog was microchipped, and the owner will be charged with animal abandonment.

@bennybear Nice photos from Crete.

@Cruzin Terri Good news on the Termite Company and getting the new board for the AC. And I'm glad you got your wills settled.

@1ANGELCAT I'm glad the storms are done. We have more tonight. And the alligator in the Kiski River was caught today. They think it was someone's pet (as it lets people pet it), then maybe got too big. It will be moved to a reptile center.

For lighthouse day, Europa Point Trinity Lighthouse, Gibralter

154-EuropaPointTrinityLighthouseGibralter.thumb.JPG.6fe653da3759347700966749d1b8c18d.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4

When we lived in Coeur d'alene, Idaho, Allen was summoned to jury duty on the murder case of Joseph Duncan. He was convicted of murder, kidnapping and rape. We knew the family he killed.  It did not come to trial. He plead guilty. He is dead. Brain cancer. Thanks be to God. 
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, erewhon said:

Thank you for the HAL Fleet report and daily.

Four pages today,I will go and read al the posts.

Nice to see you here today, @erewhon,  I have a favour to ask.  There’s a 14 day cruise on Nieuw Statendam we suggested Pat’s sister and BIL join us on  -Canary Islands on April 21 next year.  It seems awfully expensive in Australian dollars.  How does the NZ dollar compare?  I wondered if you would mind looking it  up there if your dollar is around the same as the A$.  (Just a basic inside.). Here there’s a sale on - do you see sales there?  

• Like 7