The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 23rd, 2023

richwmn

Thanks for the Fleet Update and General Info from all contributors.

I know I have posted this multiple times but it still is amazing to me. Photo of Bay in 2010 at Qaquotok, Greenland. The Maasdam.

IMG_1028.thumb.jpeg.49a901a0bb13068f7df3faec1a4c578c.jpeg

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 6

15 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Prayers to all in need—especially the residents of Lahaina.  May God keep them and bless them.

Sitting in Chops restaurant for breakfast as we pull into Coco Cay for the day.  Not sure I am getting off the ship.  Way too hot for me.  The 2 sea days before home.

Stay safe everyone.  Katherine 

I hope you get a chance to see Coco cay Katherine.

There is plenty of shade and the buffet was awesome.

IMG_20230130_074042.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Boston.  We are one of the last groups off the ship as we have a late flight home today.  We won’t get home till 10:03 pm.

It has been a wonderful cruise and went by all too quickly.  We were so incredibly lucky with weather except for St. Pierre et Miquelon.  

Thanks for traveling along with us and I wish Sandi and Dennis a safe trip home.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, all! Our Daffodils are long gone, but I will certainly Hug My Sweetheart today. And I won’t be riding the wind, but in a few days I’ll be riding the Konigsdam to Alaska!

We took DD to the airport yesterday, and she’s on her way to Nepal for a week before going back to Taipei. It’s going to be strange not having her around after the last two months. We were supposed to have a big family gathering at my sisters house near Kelowna just before she left. Anyone who’s followed the news can guess that got cancelled. DS and BIL are safe, but the air quality there has been appalling.

The current excitement is waking up to rain this morning! I don’t know how long it will last, but it’s our first in over a month, and hugely welcome. We aren’t used to dry weather on the west coast. We are at level 3 water restrictions, and all the lawns and gardens look terrible.

My thoughts are with those south of us getting too much rain in the path of the tropical storm. Stay safe!

Happy Wednesday, and I’m looking forward to being back on a BHB!

• Like 30

Happy Wednesday to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Great collection of days, funny quote, love shawarmas, pass on the drinks, never been to Greenland and interesting day in Scottish history.

Quick post - subbing at the HS I used to work at so it should be fun!  Honors Geometry and Education Professions (future teachers).  Luckily, my friend sent me the sub plans ahead of time so I have been perusing them.  

Thoughts for all on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 27

14 minutes ago, Nickelpenny said:

Happy Wednesday to All!  Thanks for the daily and fleet reports.  Great collection of days, funny quote, love shawarmas, pass on the drinks, never been to Greenland and interesting day in Scottish history.

Quick post - subbing at the HS I used to work at so it should be fun!  Honors Geometry and Education Professions (future teachers).  Luckily, my friend sent me the sub plans ahead of time so I have been perusing them.  

Thoughts for all on the care list and cheers to those celebrating.

Have a great day everyone!

Very impressive on honors in Geometry. One thing I learned almost 60 years ago taking Geometry. The square root of 3 is the same number as George Washington’s birth date; 1.732 or 1732.

Also when I first started this subject in school I thought the subject was the study of trees: Gee I Am A Tree! 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  We won't be riding the wind today, nor will we be able to find any daffodils, but I will definitely hug my sweetheart - I do that every day.  

It rained off and on all day yesterday and through last night as well.  The past couple of days have reminded me of usual summer days in Vancouver, rather than on the prairies.  Grey skies, intermittent rain and cool temperatures. . . I'd rather have our constant sunshine and heat, thanks.

Well it was interesting trying to get our friend's flights booked yesterday through HAL's website and Flight Ease.  First I went on their PC, but we couldn't get into the FE part of the site.  Several tries later, I suggested we try their laptop.  Same thing, but I kept on.  Finally I decided to call Flight Ease - well, that was an exercise in futility.  I'm sure the agent "Amir" was doing what he could, but it took forever to be able to identify myself to him for verification, then for him to understand I was calling to book someone else's flights.  I thought I'd gotten through to him what I wanted, including giving him our friend's booking number, but he said he needed to check on something and put me on hold.  He never came back and the line finally disconnected.  While waiting on hold (which lasted longer than 15 minutes), Wayne came out with an original iPad that he'd forgotten he even had, and said maybe we could try this.  Guess what?  We were able to get through without a hitch and a few minutes later, their flights were booked!  Yay!!

@POA1 thanks for the info on the Sun Trolley - they've been taken over by FLL's community shuttle program, so I'll get in touch with them regarding stops, etc.

@Sea Viewerthank you for mentioning ride circuit, but it's out of the area we want to start from - near Harbor Shops.  I guess we could take an uber to one of the stops though, if we wanted to use it.

@marshhawkplease wish Chuck good luck with his eye surgery today.

@Vict0riann Happy Birthday to you and many healthy returns of the day!

@HAL4NOW Bon Voyage!

A few things on the agenda today - this morning I've got to get my nails done; they're so long I'm making multiple mistakes on the keyboards the past few days, and this afternoon DH has a eye appointment.  

I would like the drink of the day, am sure I'd enjoy the wine, and I do love chicken shawarma - there's a food truck that always appears at Food Truck Wars in town, and they serve delicious shawarma!  We've got lots of leftovers from the rotisserie chicken we bought yesterday, so because it's cool and rainy, I think we'll be enjoying hot chicken sandwiches at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. It is cloudy here with a temperature  of 70 so far.Rain may come later.

We tried to get to the port on our VOV but there was too much ice.Hugs for sweethearts  occur daily here.Chicken schwarma is made here often but I have to admit it tastes better when we have it from our local diner.Tge quite is too much for my addled brain this morning.

@marshhawk, Best wishes and prayers for Chuck  today.

@Vict0riann, A very Happy Birthday!

@HAL4NOW, Bon Voyage!

Last night most of the house except our teenager slept poorly.We are all sort of wandering  around in a daze.Coffee helps.

Tonight we celebrate  DD's  51st Birthday and I just took her cake out of the oven.

DH is finally starting  to feel a bit better.He is joking with us again.I really missed that!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

I am a day late for the anniversary wishes. Yesterday was crazy, crazy.. hoping and praying we are finished with all the VA benefits appointments. It really shakes up my sweet husband who I hug all day.. Why are daffodils celebrated in August?

Good morning Dailyites!

Happy Birthday @VictOriann. Bon Voyage to @HAL4NOW. Sending get well wishes for all on our care list.

Safe travels home to Sandi, Dennis, Sue and Debbie.

I'm so thankful I only have a few things to do today. Laundry, market, and later ribeyes, twice baked potatoes and a spinach salad for dinner.

Have a blessed day. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. It is cloudy here with a temperature  of 70 so far.Rain may come later.

We tried to get to the port on our VOV but there was too much ice.Hugs for sweethearts  occur daily here.Chicken schwarma is made here often but I have to admit it tastes better when we have it from our local diner.Tge quite is too much for my addled brain this morning.

@marshhawk, Best wishes and prayers for Chuck  today.

@Vict0riann, A very Happy Birthday!

@HAL4NOW, Bon Voyage!

Last night most of the house except our teenager slept poorly.We are all sort of wandering  around in a daze.Coffee helps.

Tonight we celebrate  DD's  51st Birthday and I just took her cake out of the oven.

DH is finally starting  to feel a bit better.He is joking with us again.I really missed that!

Happy birthday Tana.

gif-happy-birthday-tana.gif

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline grabbed my phone when she heard me laughing 😂 she is laughing and wanted all the meme's for her friends.

Glad she liked them. Getting harder to find as several of us use the same sources and many of the Me Me’s are inappropriate for posting here.

Where is the big anniversary dinner going to be?

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear that @ger_77 could find Sun Trolley info. It's not exactly tourist season here in FLL. (Come for the heat! Stay for the humidity!)

On the plus side, we haven't spent a dime on moisturizers since we moved here.

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

Good morning all!

We have rain!  On one hand it's really nice (way too dry here) but it's also sad to feel fall in the air already.  Hoping we have our usual lovely September when the nights and mornings are cool and the days are sunny and warm.

My daffodils are 4-5 months gone, I won't be riding the wind, but will hug my sweetheart today as usual.  I'll pass on the red wine, but the drink sounds good and I'd love the meal if someone else makes it for me.  We were in Qaqortoq in 2018 on the VOV and had a lovely day.  Photos below.

Yesterday we got a lot done.  I had noticed that some Boxwood we have in the back yard had seen better days and should be taken out.  We want to paint the house next year (but have to stay home long enough to do that!) so it's best to remove them anyway, they're too close to the house.  I got them all clipped down to the ground and filled the yard waste bin to overflowing (the truck is going by and this minute took the clippings away 😉 )  this fall when the ground softens up from the rains DH will dig them out.  He pressure washed that side of the house and things are looking better.  

It looks like some kind of bug is eating my pepper plant leaves 😞  Any ideas from the Garden Club?  I won't put any poison on it, but did read that vinegar diluted 1:1 should work.  I can even see the bugs, a hard-shelled beetle-looking monster 😞    

We got some sad news yesterday, our BIL (my sister's husband, also the Dad of Jeannine who has MS) was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday.  He'll call today for an appointment to talk about treatment.  According to the doctor, it's not a concern as long as he gets treatment.  I pray it's so. 

Ann @Vict0riann Happy Birthday!

Bon Voyage @HAL4NOW!

Safe travels home Debbie @dfish, Sue, and Sandi @StLouisCruisers and thank you for bringing us along!

@Denise TA big congratulations on getting your numbers down, good work!  I find that sometimes a change in meds can do wonders (along with diet and exercise). 

Terry @smitty34877 I'm very glad that Lou is feeling a bit better, and happy 51st birthday to your DD!

Annie @marshhawk prayers for Chuck as he has the eye surgery today.

Here are some photos I took of our day in Qaqortoq, starting with a view from the ship and ending with icebergs seen from the tender heading back.  It was a beautiful bright sunny day in July 2018, about 45-50F.  We didn't take any tour that day, we enjoyed walking through the town and up into the hills.  The only problem was the tiny black flies.  Thankfully I'd been warned, maybe by @dfishand others, so I had lots of insect wipes and used them.  They flew in my face but never landed.  I did see a few people with the hats with netting, they were smart. 

I hope to do the VOV again some day, loved every minute of it.  The thing that looks like a blurry flying saucer in the photo of the village is a tiny black fly coming at me. 😄

view from water.jpg

off tender.jpg

fish carvings.jpg

face carvings.jpg

town.jpg

looking down from hillside.jpg

school house.jpg

bar.jpg

icebergs from tender.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you get a chance to see Coco cay Katherine.

There is plenty of shade and the buffet was awesome.

IMG_20230130_074042.jpg

Thank you Graham.  We have been to Coco before and I agree it is lovely.  But after exploring the new port area in Nassau yesterday I don’t feel like going on another long, hot walk.  I have to say your meals always look scrumptious!  Maybe you and Pauline would consider second careers as cruise ship chefs??

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thank you Graham.  We have been to Coco before and I agree it is lovely.  But after exploring the new port area in Nassau yesterday I don’t feel like going on another long, hot walk.  I have to say your meals always look scrumptious!  Maybe you and Pauline would consider second careers as cruise ship chefs??

Cruise ship food tasters would be more us.

How was Nassau's new port area?

Pauline loves lots of shops.

• Like 11

Good morning. Sunny here with temperature of 67F. High today in the mid-80's and showers predicted. We had a couple of really nice ones yesterday. Been to today's destination on VOV (same sailing as Redneck Bob). Really enjoyed it.

Got the old heart rate up this morning. Bandit managed to slip out of his harness and took off running. I had the Chihuahua with me and know better than to chase anyway, so I called him and went back into the house to secure the little dog. Got a couple of treats, went out, no sign of Bandit. Called, nothing. I walked up the street in the direction he went, nothing although a neighbors pug tried to join me. Walked between condos... nothing. So I went home and there he was, sitting on the porch. He gets fitted for a new harness later this morning. Right now he is sleeping the sleep of the innocent.

Otherwise it will be quiet day with a dentist appointment this afternoon. By the way, I have the new cell phone working pretty well... just needs a few tweaks as I go. Now to get it integrated with my car.

Take care all.

Susan

• Like 24