The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 23rd, 2023

richwmn

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Cruise ship food tasters would be more us.

How was Nassau's new port area?

Pauline loves lots of shops.

There lot of shops.  Mostly small selling the usual stuff at a caribbean port. A few larger shops that are air conditioned.  In my opinion they did a good job and a big improvement from what was there.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks for the birthday greetings!   I just wish those days didn't come around so often.  My treat today will be a haircut and lunch out.  Yesterday, we took almost all of my cruise wear to a  consignment shop.  Strangely, I was very tired after, and needed a nap.  Now I have to go shopping for replacements, haha.

A high school classmate died a couple of days ago.  Sad, she had been struggling with cancer for many years.  And my cousin here told me she had been diagnosed with bladder cancer, so not the best week so far.  And a neighbour collapsed while on a camping trip up the island, was hospitalized in Nanaimo, and was transferred to the hospital here yesterday by ambulance.  The joys of living in "God's Waiting Room"!

We were in Qaqortoq last year on the Viking Passage.  It was such a wonderful cruise, I highly recommend it.  And much less expensive than the VoV!

You know there must be a lot of snow, when your front door is in the attic!

IMG_1305.thumb.jpeg.7e61ec0f2ba90bfde4c6a3798efd4e18.jpeg

a pretty wildflower there, I don't know what it is....

IMG_1300.thumb.jpeg.37eac1951eb7a9ef52ffd89fae8f7740.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

18 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

@grapau27, Tana’s birthday is in May(23rd) and she has a few years on  DD,at 55.  Jessica, our DD gets the real summer birthday. Thanks for your wishes, I should have specified the birthday person!
Your  meal looks scrumptious, as usual.

Happy birthday Jessica.

HB-NAME-JESSICA-2621.gif

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

There lot of shops.  Mostly small selling the usual stuff at a caribbean port. A few larger shops that are air conditioned.  In my opinion they did a good job and a big improvement from what was there.

Thank you.

Pauline will be pleased.

Last time we were in Nassau on Enchantment of the seas we got in a horse and carriage which took us around the town and there was a straw market next to the ship.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Prayers to all in need—especially the residents of Lahaina.  May God keep them and bless them.

Sitting in Chops restaurant for breakfast as we pull into Coco Cay for the day.  Not sure I am getting off the ship.  Way too hot for me.  The 2 sea days before home.

Stay safe everyone.  Katherine 

What are the requirements for Chops Breakfast on Vision.  The only times I've gotten it was Diamond Breakfast on the Empress where there was no Diamond Lounge.

I know you've been to Coco Cay a number of times and I'm pretty sure you were there when I last cruised on Enchantment 18 months ago.

Roy

• Like 15

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Tonight we celebrate  DD's  51st Birthday and I just took her cake out of the oven.

A very happy birthday to Jessica 🎂 

IMG_3615.jpeg.8b9dfc843772010e0be20e6178d89b06.jpeg

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

DH is finally starting  to feel a bit better.He is joking with us again.I really missed that!

Oh that is very good news, indeed 👍 

3 hours ago, dfish said:

It has been a wonderful cruise and went by all too quickly.  We were so incredibly lucky with weather except for St. Pierre et Miquelon.  

So glad you have enjoyed your cruise 👍. thanks for taking us along.  If only Ivan’s injections had kicked in faster when you arrived here 😔 

Safe and smooth travels to you and Sue & Sandi and Dennis @StLouisCruisers

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

It looks like some kind of bug is eating my pepper plant leaves 😞  Any ideas from the Garden Club?  I won't put any poison on it, but did read that vinegar diluted 1:1 should work.  I can even see the bugs, a hard-shelled beetle-looking monster 😞    

Good move not to put poison on it.  Soapy water sprayed on the leaves (including the underneath) can work.  Neem oil works well for some pests - I’m not sure about this one, though.  there is a concoction some use with olive/vegetable oil, garlic, hot sauce, etc.  

I’d be tempted to try the soapy water first.  You may need to re-apply a few times.  Good luck.

We got some sad news yesterday, our BIL (my sister's husband, also the Dad of Jeannine who has MS) was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday.  He'll call today for an appointment to talk about treatment.  According to the doctor, it's not a concern as long as he gets treatment.  I pray it's so. 

I pray it is so, as well 🙏. If it’s any help, DD DH said early identified prostrate cancer can usually be dealt with effectively.  (We had a few friends affected).

48 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Got the old heart rate up this morning. Bandit managed to slip out of his harness and took off running. I had the Chihuahua with me and know better than to chase anyway, so I called him and went back into the house to secure the little dog. Got a couple of treats, went out, no sign of Bandit. Called, nothing. I walked up the street in the direction he went, nothing although a neighbors pug tried to join me. Walked between condos... nothing. So I went home and there he was, sitting on the porch. He gets fitted for a new harness later this morning. Right now he is sleeping the sleep of the innocent.

OMG - that’s scary.  thank heavens Bandit came home 👍 

48 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I have the new cell phone working pretty well... just needs a few tweaks as I go.

Well done.  👏 👏 👏 

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Yesterday, we took almost all of my cruise wear to a  consignment shop.  Strangely, I was very tired after, and needed a nap.  Now I have to go shopping for replacements, haha.

You deserve new cruise clothes, birthday or not 🙂 

27 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

A high school classmate died a couple of days ago.  Sad, she had been struggling with cancer for many years.  And my cousin here told me she had been diagnosed with bladder cancer, so not the best week so far.  And a neighbour collapsed while on a camping trip up the island, was hospitalized in Nanaimo, and was transferred to the hospital here yesterday by ambulance.  The joys of living in "God's Waiting Room"!

So sorry to hear this sad news, Ann 😔 My condolences on the loss of your classmate.  May she RIP.  Scary on your cousin and neighbour 😔 they are in my prayers 🙏 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

We got some sad news yesterday, our BIL (my sister's husband, also the Dad of Jeannine who has MS) was diagnosed with prostate cancer yesterday.  He'll call today for an appointment to talk about treatment.  According to the doctor, it's not a concern as long as he gets treatment.  I pray it's so. 

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1997.  They did surgery later that year but since then until 2021 there was nothing more invasive than hormone therapy with no side effects other than an occasional hot flash.

Roy

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good move not to put poison on it.  Soapy water sprayed on the leaves (including the underneath) can work.  Neem oil works well for some pests - I’m not sure about this one, though.  there is a concoction some use with olive/vegetable oil, garlic, hot sauce, etc.  

I’d be tempted to try the soapy water first.  You may need to re-apply a few times.  Good luck.

Thanks Jacqui!  This was my first thought too, since it works for aphids on flowers.  If Google can be believed, though, it says soapy water can harm the peppers...but I think if I just apply it to the leaves, no harm, right?  That's what they're eating anyway, even though I see them on the peppers too. 

I pray it is so, as well 🙏. If it’s any help, DD DH said early identified prostrate cancer can usually be dealt with effectively.  (We had a few friends affected).

Oh, that's good to know!  Pretty much what BIL's doctor said too.  🙂  

14 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1997.  They did surgery later that year but since then until 2021 there was nothing more invasive than hormone therapy with no side effects other than an occasional hot flash.

Roy

Thank you Roy, I did think of you too. 🙂  I know my Dear Dad had it when he was quite old (maybe in his 90's) and came through the surgery just fine.  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 15

Sitting at Boston Logan waiting for our flight.  Boring, boring, boring.  We’re entertaining ourselves by walking from gate to gate.  I think we’ve visited them all, some several times.  

@Vict0riann Happy Birthday!

@smitty34877 Happy Birthday to your DD.  I’m glad Lou is starting to feel better.

@kazu Jacqui, I, too, wish we could have gotten together.  Next time!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

What are the requirements for Chops Breakfast on Vision.  The only times I've gotten it was Diamond Breakfast on the Empress where there was no Diamond Lounge.

I know you've been to Coco Cay a number of times and I'm pretty sure you were there when I last cruised on Enchantment 18 months ago.

Roy

Suites and Pinnacles.  Think that is pretty standard across the fleet now.  I agree we were in Coco with Enchantment.  By the way — am hearing that EN is being totally gutted during her next drydock.  That is according to a crew member.  She does need some major updating.  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I'll ride the wind in a plane. I like daffodils. No one here today to hug. Interesting quote. I had something similar to the meal while in Germany; there are a lot of Middle-Eastern people and restaurants there. Maybe on the drink and yes to the wine. I haven't been to Qaqortoq.

It's cloudy here today and 76F. Possible thunderstorms later. I'm just back from PT. I finally am getting some relief from all my bites, using a cortisone cream and calamine lotion. Big goings on here as there's an active shooter incident, involving someone who was being served with an eviction notice by sheriffs (a squatter). He's shot down 2 drones that the police sent up. Lots of shots fired (over 100), but fortunately no one hurt so far. Lots of swat teams on scene and hostage negotiators. This is occurring in an area where I used to work about 20 years ago.

@Vict0riann Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear about your classmate passing, your cousin and your neighbor. Thanks for the photos.

@HAL4NOW Bon Voyage!

@marshhawk Prayers for a successful surgery for Chuck.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Thanks for all the photos of Qaqortog.

@grapau27 That looks like a lovely lunch and dinner. And Pauline looks great, as usual.

@aliaschief Great memes today.

@RMLincoln Thanks for the update on Susan and her transport team. I'm glad you're making progress toward the new trust and your cruise trip.

@Denise T Way to go on the blood sugar improvement! 

@ottahand7 Yikes on the bat and weird about seeing a cat also (could it have been some other wild animal?).

@dfish It sounds like a long day. Safe travels.

@Horizon chaser 1957 I'm sure you were thrilled to have DD home and it will be strange without her there.

@StLouisCruisers Safe trip home.

@ger_77 I'm glad you were able to finally get flights booked for your friends. 

@smitty34877 Great to hear that Lou is starting to feel a bit better! Happy Birthday to your DD Jessica!

@Cruising-along Sorry to hear about your BIL's diagnosis, but these days most prostate cancer is very treatable. Thanks for the photos.

@durangoscots What a scare from Bandit today! 

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

I'm familiar with Inherit the Wind but not Ride the Wind. I think it is the wrong season, in the northern hemisphere, for Daffodil Day.

I wouldn't mind the meal, but chicken doesn't lend itself to classic shawarma technique. Around here we would probably make spiedies instead; chicken isn't traditional for those, either. I'll pass on the drink. I would probably like the wine, although I'm running out of Finger Lakes alternatives to Spanish and Portuguese varieties. I'll offer J. R. Dill De Chaunac 2018. I haven't been to Qaqortoq but it's not for lack of trying.

I received notice today that my last blood donation was sent to Oswego Hospital, which is outside our blood center's region but only slightly; Oswego is on Lake Ontario, northwest of Syracuse. I rented a lake cottage there in 2020.

There is going to be an "Extreme Pogo Stunt Show" here soon. I don't even want to think about it.

waittime.thumb.jpg.34bda1d4537b02e515ff81fd6a14b059.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon for a  partly cloudy central Texas where it is currently 98F with a predicted high of 102F.  There is a nice breeze.  I'm still staying inside.  

We were back home a little after 11 this morning, but it has taken time to read the Daily among other things.  The appointment went well, and the nurse practioner is working on setting up a date for the surgery to have the shunt placed.  She wants us to keep the appointment with the surgeon for now, but will try to arrange an appointment with him the day we need to be at UTSW for all the pre-opt tests, CT Scans and MRI.  The ideal scenario would be for the appointment to be the day before the surgery so it would be one less trip to Dallas.  We will have to spend the night in a hotel the day before anyway.   The good news is she thinks the surgery can be scheduled for the end of this month or the beginning of September,  She said beginning later in September, early October everyone wants to get their surgeries scheduled after they've met their deductible.  Now, we're waiting for a phone call with a date.

All in all, it was a good day, once we finally got to UTSW.  We usually allow two hours for the 1 1/2 hour drive, just in case.  It's a good thing we left even earlier because today was the just in case.  Traffic was backed up most of the way from Waxahachie to the clinic.  I will say, in the year we've been going to UTSW, today's traffic was absolutely the worst we've seen.  

Fortunately, when we left just before 10 am, the traffic heading south was running smoothly and all (or almost all) the crazy drivers had reached their destinations or otherwise off the road.  

I won't be riding the wind today, and our daffodils in Texas were done by the end of March.  Hugging your sweetheart is a good thing any day.

The quote is not one I really care for, and I'll need to think about it some more.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  To me, the drink is a waste of good Riesling.  The wine might be nice, and I'd like to try it.

William Wallace led the first rebellion for independence in Scotland, and he paid the ultimate price.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope Sue's travels today went smoothly.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad that there is more progress on the trust.  I'm also glad you made progress on your cruise plans.  I'm happy everyone returned safely from their trip to California.

@Denise T  Denise, that's good news your blood sugar numbers are down.  Keep up the good work.

@ottahand7  Nancy, just WOW 😱 on the bat.  I hope you get it out of the house tonight.  I'm glad Frank's wife Elaine is doing well.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope you and Sue have safe flights home.

@Horizon chaser 1957  I hope your DD enjoys her week in Nepal.  It's on my bucket list, but I imagine it will just stay there.

@grapau27  Graham, your bride is still lovely.  

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad you could finally get Wayne's flights booked.  It's amazing that an original iPad was what did the trick.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news that your DH is feeling better.  Please wish your DD Jessica a VERY HAPPY 51ST BIRTHDAY for us.

@durangoscots  Susan, what a scare Bandit gave you, and then to be sitting on the porch waiting for you.  

@Vict0riann  Ann, our condolences on the passing of your classmate.  I hope your neighbor is doing better.  Ann, I looked up the flower in your picture on google, and it said it was a miniature fireweed.

368368090_680883437398342_7708992933464248191_n.jpg.bccc285cee1dad00deda54933df69288.jpg

368692981_768312785096132_8860524204840230570_n.jpg.45afa99f80e04706811dd8a2b293ac35.jpg

368808590_272405908831819_9042455726865496648_n.thumb.jpg.c92a66e644b3778388abc0f28e3f2484.jpg

369442242_662926409200736_2268715623427617538_n.thumb.jpg.9a1638dad2a44199a1fbd26782199844.jpg

369445349_249774591306550_7237683247392660202_n.jpg.4c5167e0ac3050801a0be3686fa1263a.jpg

364037903_302264165792808_5703395998899915734_n.jpg.b1ac1d7fc76cb220b658041e4a59276b.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon for a  partly cloudy central Texas where it is currently 98F with a predicted high of 102F.  There is a nice breeze.  I'm still staying inside.  

We were back home a little after 11 this morning, but it has taken time to read the Daily among other things.  The appointment went well, and the nurse practioner is working on setting up a date for the surgery to have the shunt placed.  She wants us to keep the appointment with the surgeon for now, but will try to arrange an appointment with him the day we need to be at UTSW for all the pre-opt tests, CT Scans and MRI.  The ideal scenario would be for the appointment to be the day before the surgery so it would be one less trip to Dallas.  We will have to spend the night in a hotel the day before anyway.   The good news is she thinks the surgery can be scheduled for the end of this month or the beginning of September,  She said beginning later in September, early October everyone wants to get their surgeries scheduled after they've met their deductible.  Now, we're waiting for a phone call with a date.

All in all, it was a good day, once we finally got to UTSW.  We usually allow two hours for the 1 1/2 hour drive, just in case.  It's a good thing we left even earlier because today was the just in case.  Traffic was backed up most of the way from Waxahachie to the clinic.  I will say, in the year we've been going to UTSW, today's traffic was absolutely the worst we've seen.  

Fortunately, when we left just before 10 am, the traffic heading south was running smoothly and all (or almost all) the crazy drivers had reached their destinations or otherwise off the road.  

I won't be riding the wind today, and our daffodils in Texas were done by the end of March.  Hugging your sweetheart is a good thing any day.

The quote is not one I really care for, and I'll need to think about it some more.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  To me, the drink is a waste of good Riesling.  The wine might be nice, and I'd like to try it.

William Wallace led the first rebellion for independence in Scotland, and he paid the ultimate price.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope Sue's travels today went smoothly.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad that there is more progress on the trust.  I'm also glad you made progress on your cruise plans.  I'm happy everyone returned safely from their trip to California.

@Denise T  Denise, that's good news your blood sugar numbers are down.  Keep up the good work.

@ottahand7  Nancy, just WOW 😱 on the bat.  I hope you get it out of the house tonight.  I'm glad Frank's wife Elaine is doing well.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope you and Sue have safe flights home.

@Horizon chaser 1957  I hope your DD enjoys her week in Nepal.  It's on my bucket list, but I imagine it will just stay there.

@grapau27  Graham, your bride is still lovely.  

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad you could finally get Wayne's flights booked.  It's amazing that an original iPad was what did the trick.

@smitty34877  Terry, that is good news that your DH is feeling better.  Please wish your DD Jessica a VERY HAPPY 51ST BIRTHDAY for us.

@durangoscots  Susan, what a scare Bandit gave you, and then to be sitting on the porch waiting for you.  

@Vict0riann  Ann, our condolences on the passing of your classmate.  I hope your neighbor is doing better.

368368090_680883437398342_7708992933464248191_n.jpg.bccc285cee1dad00deda54933df69288.jpg

368692981_768312785096132_8860524204840230570_n.jpg.45afa99f80e04706811dd8a2b293ac35.jpg

368808590_272405908831819_9042455726865496648_n.thumb.jpg.c92a66e644b3778388abc0f28e3f2484.jpg

369442242_662926409200736_2268715623427617538_n.thumb.jpg.9a1638dad2a44199a1fbd26782199844.jpg

369445349_249774591306550_7237683247392660202_n.jpg.4c5167e0ac3050801a0be3686fa1263a.jpg

364037903_302264165792808_5703395998899915734_n.jpg.b1ac1d7fc76cb220b658041e4a59276b.jpg

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

IMG_20230823_181344.jpg

• Like 16

Good afternoon from hot and sunny St Petersburg.

With today's destination port in Greenland, Qaqortog, being familiar to those of us who have done the Voyage of the Viking and some similar itineraries, there is something new coming.  If you are looking for more Greenland, Holland America has one scheduled for June 29, 2025, that does FIVE(5) ports in Greenland.  In addition to Nanortalik, the Nieuw Statendam will be going to Nuuk and 3 others that I don't think we have ever been to.  Maybe the Prinsendam did?  It is 28 days RT from Rotterdam with insides $4700 and verandahs $6100.  Yes, I know, not so good for those of us in North America.

Those prices should beat the smaller expidition sailings.  Tender required for all the Greenland ports. I'm hoping with the Nieuw Staendam's capacity, I'll be able to get a good fare.  

Enjoy your day wherever you are.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Made it on the plane and we pulled back from the gate on time, but we are now sitting off to the side waiting for new routing due to storms in Detroit. We did watch the Zaandam pull out.  I was hoping to buzz the aft deck when we took

off, but no such luck.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1