The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 20th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Brandied Fruit Day, International Chefs Day , and U.K. National Waiters Day

You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips. - Oliver Goldsmith

Meal Suggestion for today - Red Snapper Ceviche with Crushed CornNuts
Drink of the Day - Classic Hornitos Paloma
Wine of the Day - Gran Passione Rosso
Destination of the Day - Rostock, DE

Today in History:
1803 US Senate ratifies the Louisiana Purchase
1973 Queen Elizabeth II opens the Sydney Opera House

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Puntarenas, Costa Rica eta 10-21

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, Canada eta 10/24

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Florida eta 10-21

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Istanbul, Turkey eta 10-21

Noordam

At Sea Destination Christmas Island, Kiribati eta 10-21

Oosterdam

Piraeus (Athens), Greece d1700

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Half Moon Cay, Bahamas eta 10-21

Volendam

Pago Pago, American Samoa 0800-1800

Zaandam

Callao (Lima), Peru 0700[+1]1800

Zuiderdam

Agadir, Morocco 0700-1300

Eastern Hemisphere

Westerdam

Sokcho, South Korea 0800-1600

1020World.thumb.png.1c16b366c2f25aa4c715787570d6d38d.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

It is raining 9°C and extremely windy here.

I'm not keen on brandied fruit.

Good chefs and waiters can make or break a meal.

Never been to today's port.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20231020_110820.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

A few showers this morning, hoping for a bit of sunshine this afternoon.

A good collection of days.  I use brandied fruit in Christmas cake.   Chefs and waiters are important, wish I was a better chef and I'm not good at waiting. 😉

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal.  I think I'll like the drink and wine.

I've never been to Rostock.

Good days in history.

Prayers for our world.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator, CPAP trials

57redbird’s DH Mike post external nerve ablation for afib 10/18

Mamaofami’s Sam hospitalized

HAL Sailer’s DH hospitalized, ? at rehab

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott hospitalized, post-arrest, with complications

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL hospitalized with Covid, pneumonia, heart issues

Cruzin Terri having challenging days

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Citizens of Ukraine and Israel

From the Rotation:

NextOne post valve replacement surgery 10/17

Haljo1945 with a frozen shoulder, PT for now

Cruising-along’s DBIL with prostate cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage Sailingdutchy (Tony and Martha)!

Ger_77 enjoying the family time in Calgary

Cruising-along’s friend Rhonda w/kidney stones, new DM, discharged home

Smitty34877’s aide for Tana working out well

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest Oct 24 to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami)

7 days for Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica Oct 27 to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau)

Kazu (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), 0106 (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), St Pete Cruiser (Rotterdam to Oct 22, Atlantic Sojourn), Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal), Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to Oct 28, Canada & NE), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 19
  • Thanks 15

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the TGIF report.  Three great culinary days to celebrate.  It should be Waiter's day throughout the world. 

I love the Goldsmith quote.   2 great days to celebrate and I have had the fortune of attending several performances at the Sydney Opera House.

I have not been to Rostok, and will pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fruit  Cup au Naturel, the turf from Surf and Turf, and Cherry Crumble Tart as served on MS Amsterdam October 17, 2017.

dishes20.jpg

Off early to the mall to walk and then on to Wegmans.

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It was 55 when I first got up to do the treadmill but the temp has risen slightly and we expect some rain passing through in about 20 to 30 minutes.  The day will end up with sunshine and a high of 73.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.

Hmm.  Brandied fruit doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy often.  A salute to all the chefs worldwide.  To the UK waiters enjoy your day of celebration.  I like the quote but not the red snapper ceviche.  I'm clueless about the drink and wine though.  The Louisiana Purchase was a huge deal in 1803.  What a wonderful occasion it must have been to have Queen Elizabeth open the beautiful Sydney Opera House in 1973!  50 years ago!  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers were said for all in Israel and Ukraine, my DB, friend Scott and Mark.  Then of course my dear friends here on the Daily.  I hope your pain is lessened and everyone is soon back to an enjoyable life.  I appreciate Vanessa @JazzyV keeping the lists for us to help us say our prayers for each and every one.  Hip, hip hooray for all on cruises and enjoying big celebrations. 🥂 Hoping Annie @marshhawk and Chuck are having a great time on Carnival Pride.  They should be enroute to Mykonos today.  🚢  Bon Voyage Tony and Martha @sailingdutchy.

Today's port is Rostock, Denmark.  No, you haven't heard that port before as our Port of the Day.  I haven't been there but I think that would be a lovely destination on a cruise.  Again there are no links to post and I have no photos.  Please do show us what Rostock looks like if you can.

I believe this weekend is an out of town match for Ren's FC Dallas team in Columbus, Ohio with the Columbus Crew.  So DS will be driving there this weekend.  It's less than 200 miles and I know that because we used to drive between Columbus and Ann Arbor when our two kids were in colleges there at the same time.  Of course, DH and I lived in Virginia at the time so it was a long trip to visit them during those years.  For DS, at least there won't be any very much delayed American Airline flights to ruin his day!

Have a great weekend everyone!  Take care and stay safe!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today the gutter company is scheduled to arrive and update our gutters.  Hopefully the scheduled rain will hold off until they are done.  Today’s work meeting schedule is light and hopefully that stays that way, I’ve got to put together a plan for a data center migration.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

I’m making dinner in the crockpot today.  This may or may not be how it’s presented to DH.

image.png.1ee376ff5c56009ca557c0975ebf8805.png

• Like 16
  • Haha 24

Classic Hornitos Paloma cocktail:

Spanish for “Dove,” a tasty tequila paloma always flies for an afternoon delight.  Hornitos® Plata Tequila, the purest expression of the powerful 100% agave flavor, is given a tart twist with fresh, ruby red grapefruit juice. Club soda adds a bubbly twist to this cocktail, while fresh rosemary emits a floral sweetness. Go ahead and unwind with this grapefruit cocktail during your mid-day siesta.

Ingredients
1 part Hornitos® Plata Tequila
2 parts Ruby Red or Pink Grapefruit Juice
1 part Simple Syrup
2 parts Club Soda
Garnish: Fresh Rosemary Sprigs, Grapefruit, or Lime Slices

Instructions
Build in a tall glass over fresh ice in the order listed, stirring once before adding soda and once after. Garnish with a slice of lime or grapefruit and a rosemary sprig.

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 7.03.16 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 15

58 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports Rich.

It is raining 9°C and extremely windy here.

I'm not keen on brandied fruit.

Good chefs and waiters can make or break a meal.

Never been to today's port.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

IMG_20231020_110820.jpg

Now we are cooking!

• Like 14

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich. It was a lovely 59 this morning. Venus, Jupiter, Orion & the Big Dipper were bright in the sky. This is perfect weather. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with us. Praying that the epidural helps your pain. 

Gym, Bindi walks, a visit from my handyman to start on my “laundry list” of things to do. I need to repot some plants - might keep me out of trouble. 

IMG_4091.jpeg.fe9941a4f5608c378ebf0851b3c8745f.jpeg

IMG_1871.jpeg.11372c2db510709ade8cc71291227f03.jpeg

IMG_1864.jpeg.fcbabb087fce692d50c43911e2a0d3eb.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @smitty34877 Terry, prayers for you, Tana, your families and support teams. 
@HAL Sailer Melissa, praying your DH is holding steady. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

Gran Passione Rosso

Definitely a red I would love to taste. Available from numerous sources. Consumers give it an average of 4 out 5!  Reasonably priced with online prices starting at $9.99.

Distributor notes

Grapes: Merlot, Corvina

Region: Veneto

Deep red in color, moving through shades of amber as it ages

Instantly appealing on the nose, with fruity hints that give way to notes of spices and vanilla

Complex and solid structure that offers a perfect balance of tannins and acidity

Pairs perfectly with roasts and grilled meats. Great with game dishes. Also excellent with aged cheeses.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 8

Late night and poor sleep but another day comes and I’m grateful. I packed too late last night and was too achy to sleep. I’ll try not to do that again. 

Thanks @Quartzsite Cruiser, @JazzyVand @erewhon for the positive thoughts. Much needed 

@JazzyV I’m not seeing you on our Care list!  Please add yourself!  We’re here for you. Praying your procedure does Amazing good! 

We have confirmed a move date with everyone except our building here…. will do that today. Heard from movers after the office closed. Need to reserve (and pay fee for) loading dock and freight elevator. Nov 15th. 🤞 Packers day before. But there is much for us to organize, prep and also pack before then. There’ll be plenty for everyone!  But we won’t be trying to market the condo before we vacate and have it cleaned. 

Grandkids are still sick, not COVID but a nasty cold. They can’t come till another couple of weeks. Granddaughter has a bridal shower scheduled for her sister and another commitment. I’m disappointed but I’m glad they can still come for getting our kayaks and some other things the movers won’t take. If not, DH’s niece and BF (about my age) will be here and could help with some of it. It’ll all work together. I’ll fill you in as things unfold, hopefully they don’t unravel!  

Today I’m having lunch with my Spiritual Companioning group. We’ll meet at the restaurant on campus, nice break. And I should be able to be at my last session with them next week, I’ll need it! They’ve made my short time (2 1/2 yrs) here very good!  It gives me confidence I’ll do ok in my new community. 

DH is still waiting for the promised letter from the new community regarding our trust. We’re supposed to get the approval packet by FedEx today. Maybe the letter will be in that packet. I hope so but I have to let go of it - though I agree with his position he’s worrying about it enough for both of us. I have to have faith it’ll all work out. Thanks for your support!  Big projects involve a lot of details. 

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope. A path to peace and an end to the horrific suffering in all the war-torn areas. 

Cheers to all celebrating! Life is Good, even on tough days! 

And smooth travels to all away!  Fair winds and following seas to our long list of cruisers!  Yay! 

I’m not keeping up very well these days but know you are each in my heart!  Blessings to you all. 

Maureen

• Like 30

Good morning.

I figured I had better post now while I am the only one who is awake.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for all you do to keep this thread going.

Thank you to all of you for your prayers while we are going through some difficulties.  We are working out DH’s situation and hopefully today will be better.

Prayers for the people in Israel, and Ukraine.

Prayers for Baby Murphy and may she continue to improve.

Prayers also for @StLouisCruisers friend Scott, @mamaofami’ DH Sam, @57redbird’s DH and @HAL Sailer’s DH, and @CrabbyPatti’s DFIL.  

I hope I have not missed anyone.  

Prayers for everyone on this thread, whether you need them or not.

I am almost packed.  My problem is not being really sure what the weather will be like in Venice, Florence and Rome prior to the cruise.  I am packing some long sleeve shirts, sweaters, slacks and a jacket.  Hoping that layering will work.  

Today I have some errands to run and then try to get the packing finished.  Then I expect to spend the weekend getting finances in order and the house straightened up.  

We get picked up on Tuesday for our flights.  

We have decided to fly out of Savannah rather than Jacksonville this time.  So far it seems that it will work out.  We are on Delta to Atlanta, then Air France to Paris and to Venice.  Glad we only have to fly one way.

Again thank you all for your support and prayers.  They really help.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 32

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It was 55 when I first got up to do the treadmill but the temp has risen slightly and we expect some rain passing through in about 20 to 30 minutes.  The day will end up with sunshine and a high of 73.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for today's Daily and Fleet Report.

Hmm.  Brandied fruit doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy often.  A salute to all the chefs worldwide.  To the UK waiters enjoy your day of celebration.  I like the quote but not the red snapper ceviche.  I'm clueless about the drink and wine though.  The Louisiana Purchase was a huge deal in 1803.  What a wonderful occasion it must have been to have Queen Elizabeth open the beautiful Sydney Opera House in 1973!  50 years ago!  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers were said for all in Israel and Ukraine, my DB, friend Scott and Mark.  Then of course my dear friends here on the Daily.  I hope your pain is lessened and everyone is soon back to an enjoyable life.  I appreciate Vanessa @JazzyV keeping the lists for us to help us say our prayers for each and every one.  Hip, hip hooray for all on cruises and enjoying big celebrations. 🥂 Hoping Annie @marshhawk and Chuck are having a great time on Carnival Pride.  They should be enroute to Mykonos today.  🚢  Bon Voyage Tony and Martha @sailingdutchy.

Today's port is Rostock, Denmark.  No, you haven't heard that port before as our Port of the Day.  I haven't been there but I think that would be a lovely destination on a cruise.  Again there are no links to post and I have no photos.  Please do show us what Rostock looks like if you can.

I believe this weekend is an out of town match for Ren's FC Dallas team in Columbus, Ohio with the Columbus Crew.  So DS will be driving there this weekend.  It's less than 200 miles and I know that because we used to drive between Columbus and Ann Arbor when our two kids were in colleges there at the same time.  Of course, DH and I lived in Virginia at the time so it was a long trip to visit them during those years.  For DS, at least there won't be any very much delayed American Airline flights to ruin his day!

Have a great weekend everyone!  Take care and stay safe!

Rostock is in Germany not Denmark. Short form for Denmark is DK. DE is always germany

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Good morning from central Texas where it is 57F, feels like 57F with 57% humidity and a dew point of 42F.  Whew, finally another number.  I thought we were stuck on 57.  🤣  Our predicted high is 91F late this afternoon.  I'm not sure what is on the agenda for today.

Brandied fruit is not a favorite, so will let someone else have mine.  It's appropriate that international chefs and UK waiters are celebrated on the same day.  They can make or break a meal.

The Oliver Goldsmith quote is true, just like the saying, "Actions speak louder than words".

We'll pass on the meal.  I like red snapper but not as ceviche.  We'll also pass on the drink.  The wine sounds like one I'd like to try.

The Louisiana Purchase was important to the growth of the US.  Sydney was honored by Queen Elizabeth II opening their Opera House in 1973.

I believe today's port is Rostock, Germany.  DE is the country code for Germany.  It is not really a port, but a city near Warnemunde which was listed as Warnemunde (Berlin), Germany, as the port on August 6, 2022.  Below is a link to Rich's @richwmn thread that day.  We have been to Warnemunde three times, and I'll look for my pictures in a minute.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, wishing Ren, the team and his parents safe travels to the game tomorrow.

@Crazy For Cats  Jake, I'm not sure how I'd react if dinner was presented like it is in the picture.

@RMLincoln  Maureen, I'm glad you have a date for your move.  It will all come together, and you'll be ready in time.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm glad you had time to check in this morning.  Flying out of Savannah sounds like a good idea.  I'm sure it will all work out fine.

371464733_6916928695006581_5606087200900533723_n.jpg.64e607cee7e276d1e659d56f99760047.jpg391620190_791509829651212_2936404767147463591_n.thumb.jpg.09c2e838ab3ffffd412019d88b248346.jpg

393173456_24833670829565319_7465690029193552280_n.thumb.jpg.f7bf467c353c0401c22500afeaae9774.jpg

350110621_223832197091013_4059670842487493165_n.jpg.3c1895e862a97301726d132398850af7.jpg

387843903_10230719553321537_6185419700263084940_n.thumb.jpg.e6b37f7e71ac9ccb62eece6c2e42ff2c.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19
  • Haha 18

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work. And thank you everyone for being here

We have been to today's port city, Rostock, Germany, on our Baltic cruise. The port for cruise ships is actually Warnemunde, DE. It is a quick 15 minute ride by DB train to Rostock. I will post my photos later.

It is 20 days until our next cruise aboard the Carnival Venezia. Looking forward to comparing "Carnival Fun Italian Style" with cruises on MSC.

Have a great weekend!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.  

- Jack

• Like 26

After a blah day yesterday I had a good night's sleep and am doing well this morning. Now the weather is blah with rain for a couple of days and close to freezing at night on the weekend. Will have to cover the endive still in the garden since it will warm up again next week into the 60’s and stay decent for a while. With luck and judicious covering we might have fresh endive into November.

• Like 27

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Today the gutter company is scheduled to arrive and update our gutters.  Hopefully the scheduled rain will hold off until they are done.  Today’s work meeting schedule is light and hopefully that stays that way, I’ve got to put together a plan for a data center migration.

I hope everyone has a good day today.

I’m making dinner in the crockpot today.  This may or may not be how it’s presented to DH.

image.png.1ee376ff5c56009ca557c0975ebf8805.png

That dish will either be purr feet or have a bark to it! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the report, recipes and lists.  Not sure I’ve ever had brandied fruit but I will gladly celebrate chefs and UK waiters!  I really like the quote.  The meal and drink sound nice although I’ve only ever had ceviche as an appetizer.  I have not been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events!

• Like 22

We were in Warnemunde in 2016 on Prinsendam, and at the beginning and end of a Marco Polo cruise in 2005.  After the cruise, we took the train to Berlin as part of the cruise package and spent two nights there.  Since Berlin is not the port of the day, I'll save my pictures of Berlin for when it's the port of the day again.

In 2016 on our last Baltic cruise on Prinsendam, we were in Warnemunde on August 1.  Since we had been to Berlin, we decided to rent a car and visit some of the towns to the west.  The weather that day was a mixed bag of sun, heavy clouds and rain.  Most of the rain was while we were on the autobahn.

That day we visited Lubeck, Schwerin, Wismir, Bad Doberan, and Rostock.  To be perfectly honest, Rostock was our least favorite of the places we visited.  We enjoyed Warnemunde better.  I only have a couple of pictures taken in Rostock.

Our first stop was Lubeck, the furthest west we drove.  It is an old walled city known for its gothic style red brick buildings.  In Medieval times it was the capital of the Hanseatic League.  Only the city gate remains of the wall, and it has a decided list as one side is sinking.

DSC05380.thumb.JPG.6d799024a351880800590bf2a0b536e7.JPG

The back side of the city gate

DSC05383.thumb.JPG.5000ee36d12f9f3f300d4e0c3dfd2ae3.JPG

The first building you see after passing the city gate.

DSC05385.thumb.JPG.12cb165e3076c812a18cbebff56db9f9.JPG

It might have been the building above, but somewhere nearby, we were at a high point and these are pictures of Lubeck and the Trave River.

DSC05399.thumb.JPG.fd62c98feda97e5005c80cd3c5e86caa.JPG

DSC05400.thumb.JPG.84a1c8b72e5452c586df72f0efefa54f.JPG

DSC05398.thumb.JPG.1e4793c35186eedff13a1f794618ef90.JPG

This picture was probably taken in Wismir.

DSC05409.thumb.JPG.c426de2e2f328c170d7ad24a6f9356d0.JPG

Schwerin Castle   We could not find a parking place, so we did not tour the castle.

DSC05412.thumb.JPG.379b5cdfb2729d9d46d2dd65f895f6e6.JPG

DSC05417.thumb.JPG.d530794c74c0b253e21168c54205f0ca.JPG

The area cross from the bridge to the castle.  

DSC05420.thumb.JPG.a4318671d6299ad7f3f5f1db5b744a57.JPG

I believe these were taken in Bad Doberan, and we just made it back to the car before it stated raining again.

DSC05424.thumb.JPG.7b57a0f1bd86e41ea69a55ecb2300fb7.JPG

DSC05425.thumb.JPG.9a749933b362bfb4cbd035b93e82f2c4.JPG

DSC05428.thumb.JPG.464157623b51dddb04e90f4eed1881eb.JPG

On the way back to the ship, we drove around Rostock, but did not find anything interesting to stop to see.  We also drove around Warnemunde, and  this is the church.

DSC05443.thumb.JPG.57fbf8a89eef584a5da8fcaf604c2b1f.JPG

DSC05446.thumb.JPG.7877a817a4bd751c75b6f581d20ad0e9.JPG

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 7