Billion Dollar Profit

46 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Vast majority of what people are referring to, RCL cheer leaders? The whole cruise industry is doing pretty well. 
Ten years ago, we knew 10-15 couples that cruised regularly, several times a year. We know of nobody now, including us. We all bailed pre pandemic because of all the reasons stated by your small minority.

Do you really think ships are being totally filled, constantly, with just RCI cheerleader?  Seems that's not really sustainable.  Ships are more sold out than I've ever remembered, based on the lack of price drops as time goes on combined with the increased penalties for canceling.  

Not that I'm trying to talk people to go back to cruising- quite the opposite.  I'd rather have more and more people cancel their trips for any reason- so that prices will go back down.  

I do find it funny the tone of the MDR food.  Every single time it changes, the exact same words are used.  Both for the people who were tired of the old menu and wanted something new and are happy, and for those who hate the change and think the new food is horrible.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  

FWIW, for a 7 day sets of menus, there are only two of them that we don't like- the rest are better than before.  Add to that, our ability to go to CK for dinner, and we are all set.  To do a full apples to apples comparison- for ships that are "cheaper"- we'd have to throw out all of the C&A benefits we get.  And even on Celebrity, that calculation matters a lot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been on 13 RCI cruises this year with 3 more booked this year. I had a great time on every cruise and look forward to cruising again next week. Based on my experience your “sneaking suspicion” couldn’t be further from the truth. Obviously the vast majority of people agree with me because RCI ships continue to sail at over 100% capacity. However, you are free to listen to people who are not happy with RCI for one reason or another. Just keep in mind this is a very small minority. 

the rangers are in that minority thanks goodness....lol

22 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

I laughed so hard at this I snorted.  

Last weekend on Independence they gave me the "upgraded amenities" which happened to be the same products that were already in the tub, just in a smaller tube. 🙄

In a JS our cruises this month and got the white tubes. Since we are supposed to get upgraded bathroom amenities, room steward got us the Loccitane big tubes that GS and above have. Just had to ask this time but in prior cruises it was already done.

Edited by frank808

On 10/26/2023 at 2:38 PM, orville99 said:

More than $1B of that $3 B was interest expense.

Net income for the quarter ending 6/30 ~458 M; net income YTD ~-($90 M).

Short term debt/current asset ratio ~3:1 LTD/Equity ~10:1.

They are a long way from digging out from under the rock. The issue with debt is not the ~$20B in long term debt on the balance sheet, but the $8.7 B in current debt, which is ~4X their current assets..

Interest expense has nothing to do with the $3B debt reduction.  The $8.7B figure is debt due over the next three years, much of which will likely be re-negotiated and extended.  Their actual debt maturity for 4q '23 is $0.7B  and full year '24 is $2.4B.

Remember that you repay debt from cash flow, not earnings.  RCL's earnings are net of $1.4B of annual depreciation, a non-cash expense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Things I do think corporate greed is a big deal in high prices" 

Quoting that from above. Seriously? Did you read the quarterly earnings report? Currently, due to the pandemic shutdown, all of the cruise lines have taken on enormous amounts of debt and are in danger of going under. They have no choice but to maximize earnings/profits until that debt is paid down. 

I have been on 8 cruises since the restart and 38 cruises altogether and have had an awesome time on all of them. My wife and I'm have sailed on The Wonder four times in the last year and found both the food and entertainment choices to be outstanding! We just got off The Wonder and had a difficult time choosing which music venue we would attend. The jazz group, the pop band and the country trio provided the best entertainment we've ever experienced. 

The ship was completely full and show reservations as well as specialty dining reservations were difficult to come by. I guess this just illustrates how everyone's perspective is different. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Grand Geezer, to state the obvious, you and your circle of friends are now ten years older than you were then with 10 years more travel experiences satisfied and, in many cases, 10 years more health problems.  It is not too surprising if they lost interest in frequent cruising.  Like it or not, Royal Caribbean seems to concentrate much of its marketing attention on young cruisers.  

You based your views based on age only. Guess again. In our groups situation its based on value of product versus price paid. It’s to the point that none of us would go on a cruise, with any line, even for free. As far as I know, none of us has health or mobility issues that would keep us home. We don’t really care where they give their marketing attention.

17 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You based your views based on age only. Guess again. In our groups situation it’s based on value of product versus price paid. It’s to the point that none of us would go on a cruise, with any line, even for free. As far as I know, none of us has health or mobility issues that would keep us home. We don’t really care where they give their marketing attention.

Not just age, I also pointed out that your circle had 10 years more travel experience…meaning 10 years more “been there, done that.”  I do not know your specific circle of friends, but many people are far more excited the first (and maybe second) time they visit a destination vs the fifth or tenth time.  

You can say the marking does not matter, but the stuff they are putting in those Royal ships is often for younger people. Icon is built for kids and young families and young adults, not really for geezers.  Not for me, either BTW.  That stuff is expensive and it raises the value to the target market, but probably not to you.  It might even decrease the value to you, IDK.  So I’d argue that marketing does matter.  It is a substantial part of the reason you don’t see the value and someone else does.

(If none of you would go on a cruise on any line, even for free, it is not a matter of value.  It sounds like you no longer want to go.)

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 2

I wouldn't be open to the icon, but have sailed all the other classes and definitely would again pending pricing. I would sail the Oasis, Harmony, or Symphony before the Wonder, because i don't want to pay the new ship premium.

On 10/26/2023 at 2:13 PM, LittleJoefromKokomo said:

I agree 100% even if the food isn't the same now as when we started cruising 2008 (miss the midnight buffet) we have always found something that we like. Both in Windjammer and MDR. Is it 5* food? No, absolutely not, but it is usually better than what we eat everyday when not cruising.

On our very first cruise on Splendor out of Barcelona in 2004 we had pretty weak food (weaker than anything I had this year on Anthem, Enchantment or Liberty(2)) 

Same on Explorer in 2007 and 2009, 2010. We saw improvements from 2013 till pandemics … I think it goes up and down. Same we saw on other lines.

We are completely fine with offered. 

Cruising is a budget experience. Budget food and budget drinks and tiny cabin. the entertainment is also pretty boring below oasis class. Everything is now an upsell. 

I can live with this if I pay below a certain amount to get on the ship but I will not tolerate $80 drinks packages and $350 per week meal packages. 

if I want a budget cruise I will just do P&O which is cheaper to get on and cheaper on board.  Entertainment is less flashy but actually more entertaining. A good singer is more enjoyable to listen to than some shouty cringe discount broadway show stuck on loop for 8 years on the same ship. The speciality is also just better and $20 a head or less. We also get the flights chartered and included in the fair. 

2 weeks on Arvia was £1050 including flights to Barbados then around the carribean. This inside cabin was so cheap I couldn’t believe it. This time we paid nearly double for balcony and £300 credit but if we did this again I’d just book the inside dirt cheap.  

in sure things are better in some ways on royal but they are not better enough to justify these stupid prices. 

The US government printed 60% of all the USD to ever exist in a 6 month period. This shameful disregard to the stability of the global monetary system is what has driven these prices up and it’s debt free boomer generations which are not affected by the high interest rates so are happy to spend. 

whilst people keep paying royal will keep cutting quality and increasing prices. 

People saying but we didn't need to pay for things like ifly and escape rooms back in the day make me laugh. Ships back then had nothing but pools and bars pretty much like the older ships still have. 

You still don't have to pay for these new things if you don't use them.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 11:03 AM, robmtx said:

I'm just curious what people eat on a daily basis on land? The food on ships is so bad now that you cancel cruises over it? Or, maybe I should ask, what did you used to get on board, food wise? We've been on several cruises post pandemic, and yeah we've seen lots of changes, and yea the food may be different, but it's not anything that we'd personally give up on.  We've had some very good meals onboard, and some great customer service as well since they resumed sailing.

When we do land-based vacations, we have to randomly pick a restaurant and hope the 5 stars online are true.. and then three meals a day on land vacation is $200-$250.

Well my favorite mdr meal was the loin lamb chops.  Of course all the high prices items were dumped, that meal probably cost ten dollars a head to prepare.  I used to dream about those loin lamb chops.  

They were replaced with a lamb curry that costs about ten cents per head to make and is so disgusting that I wouldn't serve it to my dog.  

But to the people who can't see any difference, bless your hearts.  I have one Royal in Feb that was booked a long time ago.  No plans to cruise with them again unless they bring back quality mdr food and twice a day room steward.  I'm a princess person now.

• Like 4

My thoughts. (Some of you may agree with me, some may not. To each their own right?)

Those of us who have been 'around' for a while remember what cruising was like way before covid came along.  Since then, it seems ships are marketing towards families and 'newbies' by offering more and more attractions, more food venues that mimic eating 'on land', and the mentality that cruising is just like a land vacation. Of course, they've achieved this by raising prices on absolutely everything to pay for these additions and enhancements. First time cruisers, who don't 'know any better' as well as families who are already so conditioned to pay exorbitant prices for a vacation will continue to demand all the bells and whistles for a 'land vacation experience' and pay for those experiences no matter what the cost.

Even if those of us who remember, and actually enjoyed and appreciated dressing nicely for dinner, relaxing with our fellow cruisers with a drink before a Broadway type show, or even just enjoying some nice music for the evening chatting with new friends, completely stopped cruising all together, the cruise lines won't even blink. They'll just keep pushing those who are willing to pay more for less to spend.

I honestly don't ever see or expect prices to level out or go back down to something more manageable. It's a shame. I feel a lot of us out there who really appreciated what a cruise was, or even could be in this day and age, will end up finding alternative ways to go on vacation and take our long standing 'tradition' of cruising with us.  Give it another year or two and a good portion of the 'mass market' cruise lines will all just be floating versions of Epcot Center or Universal Studios in Florida, and the ones who've managed to 'hang on' to the 'old' cruising experience will be the 'luxury' lines that not a lot of us can afford. I know DH and I can't, and it's too bad. I introduced him to cruising when we met 7 years ago, we were recently married on a cruise and have always dreamed of cruising the world when I retire in 4 years. More and more it seems that dream is slipping away. 

But hey, as long as little Johnny can ride a roller coaster while floating around the St. Lucia it's all good right? 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

My thoughts. (Some of you may agree with me, some may not. To each their own right?)

Those of us who have been 'around' for a while remember what cruising was like way before covid came along.  Since then, it seems ships are marketing towards families and 'newbies' by offering more and more attractions, more food venues that mimic eating 'on land', and the mentality that cruising is just like a land vacation. Of course, they've achieved this by raising prices on absolutely everything to pay for these additions and enhancements. First time cruisers, who don't 'know any better' as well as families who are already so conditioned to pay exorbitant prices for a vacation will continue to demand all the bells and whistles for a 'land vacation experience' and pay for those experiences no matter what the cost.

Even if those of us who remember, and actually enjoyed and appreciated dressing nicely for dinner, relaxing with our fellow cruisers with a drink before a Broadway type show, or even just enjoying some nice music for the evening chatting with new friends, completely stopped cruising all together, the cruise lines won't even blink. They'll just keep pushing those who are willing to pay more for less to spend.

I honestly don't ever see or expect prices to level out or go back down to something more manageable. It's a shame. I feel a lot of us out there who really appreciated what a cruise was, or even could be in this day and age, will end up finding alternative ways to go on vacation and take our long standing 'tradition' of cruising with us.  Give it another year or two and a good portion of the 'mass market' cruise lines will all just be floating versions of Epcot Center or Universal Studios in Florida, and the ones who've managed to 'hang on' to the 'old' cruising experience will be the 'luxury' lines that not a lot of us can afford. I know DH and I can't, and it's too bad. I introduced him to cruising when we met 7 years ago, we were recently married on a cruise and have always dreamed of cruising the world when I retire in 4 years. More and more it seems that dream is slipping away. 

But hey, as long as little Johnny can ride a roller coaster while floating around the St. Lucia it's all good right? 

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all, Runner, but I'd love to provide a counterpoint, since I'm one of those 'newbies'. We're planning to take our first cruise next summer, and decided we'd do a cruise.

For some background, when my family does vacations, we generally do fairly basic vacations. We own a pop up camper, so most of our short vacations are to state parks, but we generally do one week long vacation per year to more of a resort campground (think Yogi Bear Resort). Since we have 2 tweens and a teen, our trips need to have a mix of high activity days for the kids as well as down time days so the vacation isn't miserable for the wife and I.

The last few years we've had to change things, since the camper is getting cramped, so 3 years ago we rented a houseboat, and 2 years ago we rented a Class C motorhome and went to Cedar Point. This year we had to skip a vacation because we needed a "new" car which destroyed our vacation budget.

My personal goal with vacations is to see new places we haven't seen, and do things we've never done. I've always been interested in cruising, but have ruled it out because of distance (since airfare is insanly expensive for 5 people), as well as what i perceived as an exorbitant price for the cruise itself. I also saw cruising as being targeted to an older demographic, with not a lot to do for kids. However, it's always stayed in the back of my mind because it meets my #1 priority of seeing new places that we wouldn't see otherwise.

Over summer, our family started talking about 2024 vacation ideas and settled on renting a houseboat on the Erie canal. The kids would have lot's of stuff to see along the canal, and it would be a really neat experience. This vacation would have been ~5K, plus food, gas to get to the canal, as well as whatever we spend at the towns along the way. 

Well, back in August, reddit started poulating my feed with posts from r/cruise, and that started me thinking about seeing what that would cost. I did mock bookings with MSC, CCL, and RCL, and was shocked to see that 2 interior cabins would have been between 3 and 5k with gratuities and port taxes. That wouldn't include drink packages (except for MSC, which had a level that included it). I also discovered that we could cruise out of New York/Jersey or Baltimore, which are both reasonable driving distances from SW PA.

Of course, the plan has evovled and gone up in cost, since when I brought the idea with the kids, the automatically went straight to,  as they put it: "We don't care where we go, as long as it's tropical, and either has go karts, a roller coaster, or is one of the biggest ships", lol. And we're contemplating booking balconies if the difference is less than 150/pp, so we're now at around 7k without drink package. But that does include food as well as entertainment like the shows and comedy clubs, which we normally don't do because of costs.

All of this is to say that, to me, cruising is, surprisingly, comparable to or only slightly more expensive (for my family of 5) than our typical vacations. But with the benefit of seeing "exotic" locations and checking out entertainment options we normally would try.

The other side of the coin is that prices on everything has skyrocketed, and technology, combined with stagnant wages, particularly for service level jobs, has brought about reduced service levels across all industries. In addition, all companies are going to target the most profitable demographics, in this case younger families in the late gen x and Millennial generations. This group is used to activities and amenities on their vacations and, for better or worse, don't sit on formality on their vacations. Many of them have to follow business casual dress codes at work, and really don't want to do that on vacation as well. 

I've already "outgrown" a few demographics, and it's always annoys me when I realize I'm not the group they're targeting. My mind always thinks "I'm not that old, I should still be in that group".

To somehow loop back to evidenced original topic, RCL is obviously having success targeting these families and newbies, as evidence by their profits, Carnival seems to be doing well also with this targeting. I think it's pretty cool that while they're still building the megaships like the oasis and Icon classes, they still have the smaller existing ships, as well as talks of a new smaller class that can target smaller ports, and more intimate settings for those that prefer those. I personally would fall in the latter category if it wasn't for the kids. I love seeing stuff that's not buried in touristy stuff, but the ships that will keep my kids fully entertained are too big to hit thise smaller places.

Alright, I'm done writting a novel, lol

• Like 7

1 hour ago, New2Cruise76 said:

I don't disagree with what you're saying at all, Runner, but I'd love to provide a counterpoint, since I'm one of those 'newbies'. We're planning to take our first cruise next summer, and decided we'd do a cruise.

For some background, when my family does vacations, we generally do fairly basic vacations. We own a pop up camper, so most of our short vacations are to state parks, but we generally do one week long vacation per year to more of a resort campground (think Yogi Bear Resort). Since we have 2 tweens and a teen, our trips need to have a mix of high activity days for the kids as well as down time days so the vacation isn't miserable for the wife and I.

The last few years we've had to change things, since the camper is getting cramped, so 3 years ago we rented a houseboat, and 2 years ago we rented a Class C motorhome and went to Cedar Point. This year we had to skip a vacation because we needed a "new" car which destroyed our vacation budget.

My personal goal with vacations is to see new places we haven't seen, and do things we've never done. I've always been interested in cruising, but have ruled it out because of distance (since airfare is insanly expensive for 5 people), as well as what i perceived as an exorbitant price for the cruise itself. I also saw cruising as being targeted to an older demographic, with not a lot to do for kids. However, it's always stayed in the back of my mind because it meets my #1 priority of seeing new places that we wouldn't see otherwise.

Over summer, our family started talking about 2024 vacation ideas and settled on renting a houseboat on the Erie canal. The kids would have lot's of stuff to see along the canal, and it would be a really neat experience. This vacation would have been ~5K, plus food, gas to get to the canal, as well as whatever we spend at the towns along the way. 

Well, back in August, reddit started poulating my feed with posts from r/cruise, and that started me thinking about seeing what that would cost. I did mock bookings with MSC, CCL, and RCL, and was shocked to see that 2 interior cabins would have been between 3 and 5k with gratuities and port taxes. That wouldn't include drink packages (except for MSC, which had a level that included it). I also discovered that we could cruise out of New York/Jersey or Baltimore, which are both reasonable driving distances from SW PA.

Of course, the plan has evovled and gone up in cost, since when I brought the idea with the kids, the automatically went straight to,  as they put it: "We don't care where we go, as long as it's tropical, and either has go karts, a roller coaster, or is one of the biggest ships", lol. And we're contemplating booking balconies if the difference is less than 150/pp, so we're now at around 7k without drink package. But that does include food as well as entertainment like the shows and comedy clubs, which we normally don't do because of costs.

All of this is to say that, to me, cruising is, surprisingly, comparable to or only slightly more expensive (for my family of 5) than our typical vacations. But with the benefit of seeing "exotic" locations and checking out entertainment options we normally would try.

The other side of the coin is that prices on everything has skyrocketed, and technology, combined with stagnant wages, particularly for service level jobs, has brought about reduced service levels across all industries. In addition, all companies are going to target the most profitable demographics, in this case younger families in the late gen x and Millennial generations. This group is used to activities and amenities on their vacations and, for better or worse, don't sit on formality on their vacations. Many of them have to follow business casual dress codes at work, and really don't want to do that on vacation as well. 

I've already "outgrown" a few demographics, and it's always annoys me when I realize I'm not the group they're targeting. My mind always thinks "I'm not that old, I should still be in that group".

To somehow loop back to evidenced original topic, RCL is obviously having success targeting these families and newbies, as evidence by their profits, Carnival seems to be doing well also with this targeting. I think it's pretty cool that while they're still building the megaships like the oasis and Icon classes, they still have the smaller existing ships, as well as talks of a new smaller class that can target smaller ports, and more intimate settings for those that prefer those. I personally would fall in the latter category if it wasn't for the kids. I love seeing stuff that's not buried in touristy stuff, but the ships that will keep my kids fully entertained are too big to hit thise smaller places.

Alright, I'm done writting a novel, lol

Fair enough, I don't disagree with a lot of what you say as well. But, (there's always a but isn't there:) my feelings are just that I've enjoyed the 'older' style type cruising and have no need for roller coasters, amusements or all the bells and whistles when I cruise. (not to say there's anything wrong with all those, it's just not my thing) I realize 'the world' is changing and the cruising industry will adapt, (they are a business after all) but as you see the building of more and more mega ships taking place, one of the things that also happens is the 'older' ships are sometimes sold off to pay for debts incurred to do this.  So on some level, I feel the cruise lines are sending out a subliminal message to us "slightly" older folks that our money isn't needed or maybe appreciated anymore because they are not interested in providing what we want in a cruise vacation and have moved on to a different generation who are willing to spend more money than we are. 

Again, just my feelings. 

Edited by runner2013
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think we're both on the same page. Honestly, when my kids started begging for go karts and the like, I internally sighed. I'm not a fan of huge crowds, and the thought of hanging out with 7000 new friends isn't really my happy place.

Since lurking on this forum, I've looked at lines like Cunard as well as smaller ships on the mainstream lines, and the smaller ships have a huge appeal to me. They can get to the smaller ports which will be less touristy, and have more historical and, hopefully, culturally related excursions. But for now, the bells and whistles are what suit the majority of my family.

I've enjoyed reading all the viewpoints in this thread!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, runner2013 said:

Fair enough, I don't disagree with a lot of what you say as well. But, (there's always a but isn't there:) my feelings are just that I've enjoyed the 'older' style type cruising and have no need for roller coasters, amusements or all the bells and whistles when I cruise. (not to say there's anything wrong with all those, it's just not my thing) I realize 'the world' is changing and the cruising industry will adapt, (they are a business after all) but as you see the building of more and more mega ships taking place, one of the things that also happens is the 'older' ships are sometimes sold off to pay for debts incurred to do this.  So on some level, I feel the cruise lines are sending out a subliminal message to us "slightly" older folks that our money isn't needed or maybe appreciated anymore because they are not interested in providing what we want in a cruise vacation and have moved on to a different generation who are willing to spend more money than we are. 

Again, just my feelings. 

I don’t think all cruise lines are sending the same message. While I agree RCI is focusing more and more on younger families with all their “bells and whistles”, I find the experience on Celebrity is a lot more along the lines the way cruising use to be a decade ago or so. While I still enjoy cruising on RCI, I am finding Celebrity more and more appealing as I get older. Right now I have 5 cruises booked on Celebrity in the next 7 months along with 7 cruises on RCI. I anticipate in the future I will eventually cruise more often on Celebrity than RCI. 

1 hour ago, New2Cruise76 said:

I think we're both on the same page. Honestly, when my kids started begging for go karts and the like, I internally sighed. I'm not a fan of huge crowds, and the thought of hanging out with 7000 new friends isn't really my happy place.

Since lurking on this forum, I've looked at lines like Cunard as well as smaller ships on the mainstream lines, and the smaller ships have a huge appeal to me. They can get to the smaller ports which will be less touristy, and have more historical and, hopefully, culturally related excursions. But for now, the bells and whistles are what suit the majority of my family.

I've enjoyed reading all the viewpoints in this thread!

Many find the mega ships, 6000 +, to be far less crowded than the smaller ships. Our favorite cruises right now are the Oasis Class 12 - 15 night transatlantic crossings. Those crossings sail with 1200 fewer children.  

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Many find the mega ships, 6000 +, to be far less crowded than the smaller ships. Our favorite cruises right now are the Oasis Class 12 - 15 night transatlantic crossings. Those crossings sail with 1200 fewer children.  

IMO, the mega ships don’t seem to feel that much more crowded but the issue to me is dumping 6k people off at each port. Getting that many people off the ship and sorted into excursion buses, etc is very hectic. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 11:36 AM, runner2013 said:

Again, just my feelings. 

I love both types of experiences.  When taking my family, I love all the 'extras' the kids will enjoy.  But I truly believe there are still a myriad of opportunities out there for what you consider your type of cruising.  For example, we just took a 17 day cruise on the Jewel which has very much of the charm you are speaking of.  Yes, they had a putt putt and a rock wall, but no roller coasters and the bells and whistles you speak of.  Look around, there are some really lovely ships out there seemingly just what you are looking for.  The Jewel of the Seas is a beautiful ship and there are several more in Royal's fleet as well as other cruise lines that do have just what you want.

• Like 2

Just recently took a land vacation or “road trip” if you will, up the eastern US coast. Eating at restaurants 3x a day plus hotels and gas can add up to about two or three+ times more what we spend on cruising per day.

At restaurants, unlike on RCI, you can’t ask for multiple appetizers and deserts like you can at the MDR. You’re not able to get food elsewhere in any quantity for free if you didn’t like your meal. You don’t get 4-6 free drinks at any restaurant even if you’re on their loyalty program. 

Oh, but a bag of chips on land can be had for $1 or less if you buy in bulk. You can order 10 bags of chips from room service which comes out to less than $1 each after paying delivery fee. Plus all the food to your heart’s content in addition to the chips is included. Where on land to you have unlimited food brought to your door step for $7.95 plus tip?

If the quality of the food has gone down I haven’t really noticed. I focus more on activities, entertainment and port excursions and if those are good, and they have been for me so far, it more than makes up for a slight change in food standards. 

There are those who say they no longer cruise at all due to the decline of provisions. May I ask you why you are still on a cruise board talking about not ever cruising again rather than on a land vacation board talking about the superior, world-class offerings at bargain basement prices? Where is that online forum? I would like to know more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Just recently took a land vacation or “road trip” if you will, up the eastern US coast. Eating at restaurants 3x a day plus hotels and gas can add up to about two or three+ times more what we spend on cruising per day.

At restaurants, unlike on RCI, you can’t ask for multiple appetizers and deserts like you can at the MDR. You’re not able to get food elsewhere in any quantity for free if you didn’t like your meal. You don’t get 4-6 free drinks at any restaurant even if you’re on their loyalty program. 

Oh, but a bag of chips on land can be had for $1 or less if you buy in bulk. You can order 10 bags of chips from room service which comes out to less than $1 each after paying delivery fee. Plus all the food to your heart’s content in addition to the chips is included. Where on land to you have unlimited food brought to your door step for $7.95 plus tip?

If the quality of the food has gone down I haven’t really noticed. I focus more on activities, entertainment and port excursions and if those are good, and they have been for me so far, it more than makes up for a slight change in food standards. 

There are those who say they no longer cruise at all due to the decline of provisions. May I ask you why you are still on a cruise board talking about not ever cruising again rather than on a land vacation board talking about the superior, world-class offerings at bargain basement prices? Where is that online forum? I would like to know more.

Many good points. I dont care about potato chips, not sure where they cost $1. Dont care. I do cruise for the food but with how I'm booking always have some extra obc to use toward a meal. Tried bogo twice out of 2 last b2b. Will probably try it on harmony. Wasnt that great on allure. At bogo I dont need to get bent out of shape but it is disappointing when a meal doesnt measure up. 

Everyone has noticed everywhere prices for what you used to get are up. Every board has people posting how they are going to quit doing ... fill in the blank. Maybe I can quit kroger, prices are too high. Idk why people read the boards of lines where they arent going to continue cruising. Posting I'll never cruise rcl again has no effect on me, maybe they think they can influence enough people by making demands prices will drop? 

It wouldnt surprise me if europe prices soften because of the war. I think that's why rcl stock is so low, people are scared the war will widen. I see comments like I'm supposed to fly out of italy next year but I'm worried .. those wanting lower prices might see some here soon. People seem more reluctant to book to europe from comments. .that could spread. Be careful what you wish for folks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

On 10/27/2023 at 7:12 PM, grandgeezer said:

You based your views based on age only. Guess again. In our groups situation its based on value of product versus price paid. It’s to the point that none of us would go on a cruise, with any line, even for free. As far as I know, none of us has health or mobility issues that would keep us home. We don’t really care where they give their marketing attention.

What some don't understand is that Royal is constantly marketing to so called old geezers, as I'm one of them, via the C&A benefits offered.  These benefits add up to hundreds of dollars on any goiven cruise.

Also, many are complaining about the quality of food, I've sailed some 9 times after the pandemic and other than a few entrees not being to my satisfaction it's been fine.  When Royal announced the change in the menu beginning earlier this year, the vast complaints, especially on this board, was the reductions in choices/selections for the regular, kids and vegetarian menus.

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I think these “past” cruisers are here to see if things will revert to how it used to be.  That being price point, service and food quality.