Wednesday November 29th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

Roy’s Wednesday morning update:

Not sure what to think now and I likely will leave today.  Doctor said there is some heart failure but apparently a difference in emphasis from doctors at home and he said the signs have been there some time while effects have been minimal up to now. 

Cardiologist was just here.  Indicated I will need followup soon once home.  

Slept a bit better last night.

Yesterday’s walk was just to the end of the hall and back.  I’ve done twice that this morning; it was only 6 minutes but better than nothing.  I will try to walk more today.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 17

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Interesting about the discussion of Rarotonga and the tour.  We have that port on our GA itinerary and it's one of the few with NO excursions listed...wondering if any will still be added at this late date.

I doubt they will add more tours at this late date, but always check because who knows what the hold up is. 

However my apologies, Nancy was talking about Raiatea and like I said the R islands confuse me!  The actual island where there is nothing to do but see the pearl farm is Avatoru, Rangiroa!  I can see it plainly in my photo book!  So in Avatoru, Rangiroa we had no tours to the pearl farm available since HAL had bought up all the vans that could take you there.  So we walked down the one straight road away from the dock and ended up at the Tiputa Pass waters where the twice daily tides create churning water and the bottlenose dolphins frolic.  Unfortunately we weren't there at tide and didn't see any.  So we just walked back.  I was wrong when I said this was Rarotonga.

In Avatiu, Rarotonga we took a local bus ride which goes around the island and got to see all the nice scenery.  After that we walked around the area where the tents/canopies were with the vendors selling all their local goods. 

Then in Uturoa, Raiatea we saw buildings with shops, a marketplace for handcrafted goods, some small restaurants and vendor sales kiosks.  We watched some dancers entertaining us, then went to  cafe and ordered something to drink but didn't have any luck with Wi-Fi there.  After doing some looking in the marketplace there was a welcome ceremony that the Captain of the Maasdam attended.

You are a better person than I if you can keep those three island names straight!  I'm sorry for any confusion!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

In Avatiu, Rarotonga we took a local bus ride which goes around the island and got to see all the nice scenery.  After that we walked around the area where the tents/canopies were with the vendors selling all their local goods. 

Then in Uturoa, Raiatea we saw buildings with shops, a marketplace for handcrafted goods, some small restaurants and vendor sales kiosks.  We watched some dancers entertaining us, then went to  cafe and ordered something to drink but didn't have any luck with Wi-Fi there.  After doing some looking in the marketplace there was a welcome ceremony that the Captain of the Maasdam attended.

You are a better person than I if you can keep those three island names straight!  I'm sorry for any confusion!

Thank you Sandi, and no, I can't keep them straight either!  Having never been to any of them yet it adds to the confusion. 😂

We do plan to take the local bus in Rarotonga, as has been mentioned here before by you and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Like I said, there are no ship tours there.  We won't be in Raiatea.  

• Like 16

Good morning again.  It turns out it was the washer not the low water.  This morning it is still banging around instead of spinning smoothly.  DH thinks the thing filled with fluid that balances the drum and helps it spin is stuck.  After some research, he thinks we might need a new washer.  That would make two in one year.  One lasted 34 years and this on 15 years.  It looks like I'll be going to the laundromat tomorrow or Friday to get the rest of the clothes washed.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

It is a chilly 25F here in mid-Michigan with a forecast of 37F for a high today.  The electricians are coming at 10:30 am to fix the outlets that won't work.  I know they were working for the previous owners as I have pictures of their fan plugged in and working.  They were supposed to have all electrical issues taken care of according to the terms of the sale, but obviously they didn't.  There are two outlets in the dining room that don't work and one outside the dining room sliding doors.  Interesting that they are all in the same area of the house.  

Sue does have a virtual visit with the NP this morning.  She was feeling better yesterday, but woke up today and her face was on fire.  It is all sinus.  I can relate because I had that happen to me on the Zaandam this summer.  Fortunately, mine cleared up very quickly.  

We did have this meal of the day back in February so today we will be reviewing.  The meal sounds good to me, but has quite a bit of sugar in it, so I would probably decline.  https://houseofnasheats.com/slow-cooker-korean-beef-short-ribs-kalbi/

koreanshortribs1.thumb.jpg.3f17861d68b493ebfa95ef967b62f476.jpg

This one has less sugar in it, so might be a possibility minus the carrots.  I chose this one for Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and Carolyn @Cruising-along since they are carrot fans.   https://mykoreankitchen.com/slow-cooker-short-ribs/

koreanshortribs2.thumb.jpg.3871dae748d9c4112882467fd864adf5.jpg

This next one is a definite possibility due to the lower sugar content.  https://mykoreankitchen.com/slow-cooker-short-ribs/

koreanshortribs3.thumb.jpg.88d5e8c8cbd44614812a7c0addb4d2e9.jpg

It also uses a product called coconut aminios.  Here is a description of that.  https://www.eatingwell.com/article/289738/what-are-coconut-aminos/  This product would be good for those watching sodium.

Personally, this next one looks the best to me.  https://damndelicious.net/2016/03/23/slow-cooker-asian-short-ribs/

koreanshortribs4.thumb.jpg.b21565613295937fa98dd1ae417b809d.jpg

I hope this finds all of you well or recovering.  Wishing  you a wonderful day.

Debbie, I hope the election can fix the outlets.

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Everything seems off for me here, I think moving is disorienting. DH seems off too, maybe has a bug. Hard to tell with all the antihistamines he’s taking for the glaucoma med allergies. One day at a time is enough. I have to focus on What’s good right now!  I spent part of the night worried about how we’ll get to granddaughter’s wedding if we’re sick, but I had to put that aside, that’s 2 weeks away!  And maybe we won’t get there, and they’ll still get married!  

@JazzyV I’m so sorry you have a mess on your hands, physically and now the house!  Hoping the plumber can sort it out. 

@marshhawk Annie, I hope you get your oxygen today!  That is just a horrible failure to have to wait for basic life support!  

@rafinmd Roy, you are doing the balancing between not having fluid’s building up where they cause difficulties, but enough needed for normalcy - homeostasis, or “even keel” is a challenge!  I hope a cause for the fluid buildup can be identified and addressed so it doesn’t reoccur. May today be a breakthrough!  

Blessings to all in need, near and far. For our country, your country and especially all the war zones!  

Cheers to all celebrating, Life is Good! 💐

🛳️ Smooth travels to all away!
Thank you all for being here!  Love the upbeat pulse of sharing, and the beauty from near and far!  
Maureen 

Maureen, I'm sorry you are feeling unsettled.  It may take some time to adjust, especially moving into a situation where everybody all ready knows everybody.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Cold here (20F) and cloudy although no snow is in the immediate forecast. Friday may be another matter.

@JazzyV... (no blue bubble this morning) I hope you can find someone who knows radiators. I have lived in houses with them and know they can be difficult to service.

I used to love square dancing but have not done it for many year. The ribs look good but tonight it will be soup and salad.

Dogs and I will be taking out a large load of stuff to the thrift store and I need to go to the bank.  Then home to continue the sorting and maybe do some reading just to relax. I am celebrating my microwave... did not realize how much I relied on it until is passed. The installer left some tools here, but since he is also my snowplow person, I will give them to him when he comes by... which may be soon.

Glad to hear Tana is feeling better and hope Roy will be discharged soon and can make his way home. Glad also he is not faced with driving that route.

Take care all...

Susan

Susan, my parents were also in a square dance group.  I remember all the fancy full skirts and matching tops.  

Good morning all!

My parents were in a square dance group for a number of years when I was small.  Good memories!  I think the great granddaughters still have Mom's square dance skirts. And I had square dancing in the 5th grade -- fun!   Every day is chocolates day for me, and Terry @smitty34877 and Jacqui @kazu I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. 😉 😄 Also like lemon cream pie!  I'll pass on the drink and red wine, but the meal sounds yummy.  Thanks for thinking of Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and me, Debbie @dfish! We'll eat the carrots.   I'd like all the recipes, but the first has more than a whole day's worth of sodium so will pass on that one.  I think the 2nd and 3rd recipes are the same (?)  but that's ok with me, I like that one LOL 😂

Today I'll be seeing my Nephrologist to find out what she thinks about my labs.  Hoping she doesn't think the slight dip in kidney function is worrisome.  

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad Tana is feeling somewhat better but very sorry her breathing is so difficult.

Roy @rafinmd I hope you can be discharged today and back on the road to feeling better.

Vanessa @JazzyV Very very sorry about the night you had!!  As if you needed anything else. 😞 We all wish we could wave a magic wand and make everything better for you! 

Debbie @dfish I would be letting my realtor know about the electrical issues which were supposed to be all taken care of before you took possession of the house.  

Sandi @StLouisCruisers Interesting about the discussion of Rarotonga and the tour.  We have that port on our GA itinerary and it's one of the few with NO excursions listed...wondering if any will still be added at this late date.

Carolyn, we took the van to the pearl farm on Rangiora.  It was interesting, and then we walked around.

55 minutes ago, kazu said:

Roy’s Wednesday morning update:

Not sure what to think now and I likely will leave today.  Doctor said there is some heart failure but apparently a difference in emphasis from doctors at home and he said the signs have been there some time while effects have been minimal up to now. 

Cardiologist was just here.  Indicated I will need followup soon once home.  

Slept a bit better last night.

Yesterday’s walk was just to the end of the hall and back.  I’ve done twice that this morning; it was only 6 minutes but better than nothing.  I will try to walk more today.

Jacqui, thanks for passing Roy's @rafinmd update along.

13 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you Sandi, and no, I can't keep them straight either!  Having never been to any of them yet it adds to the confusion. 😂

We do plan to take the local bus in Rarotonga, as has been mentioned here before by you and Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser.  Like I said, there are no ship tours there.  We won't be in Raiatea.  

Sandi, Rarotonga is in the Cook Islands, and that's where we took the bus around the island.  Rangiora is an atoll that is part of French Polynesia.  That is where the Pearl Farm is located.  So there are three R island which adds to the confusion.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope you are discharged today, but please listen to the doctors and don't rush things.  I know you'll follow up with your own doctors when you get home.  Moving is good, but please don't push yourself.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I hope your can find someone to fix the radiator.  You don't need any more hassle or stress now.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Roy, I am glad they have at least a vague answer to your issue.    I  am glad you get released this afternoon and hopefully are well enough to drive a ways towards your auto train.  Jacqui thanks for keeping us updated on Roy.   

Vanessa, @JazzyV you sure need a break.   I hope you will be able to get your radiator repaired soon.   

@smitty34877 I am glad that Tana has stabilized.  It is interesting your dogs are watching over her,  they know.   

I got the kitchen mopped after the Thanksgiving mess and I am happy it looks much better.    John got me a Shark Robot that mops and vacuums which we tried the mopping feature today.   It would do a good job on regular mopping but not Thanksgiving spills.   

After being locked out of a shore excursion I really wanted on GSA I am continuing to look for things on the 2025 South Pacific cruise.   I hit a snag on a scenic drive on Nuku Hiva and was going to book but it needed weights for myself and John.   They didn't state a weight limit but when I put in John's weight it showed red meaning it didn't allow him.   I messed with it and the max weight is 200.   I may book it for me because it is the only excursion for that stop.   It is a caravan of private cars to tour the island.   It is amazing these things have to be booked so far out but cruising is becoming really popular again.   They had a story about cruising on NBC this morning about full cruise ships.   How is it on the cruises our group have been on lately?    

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 19

Happy Wednesday, it's sunny and in the 30's here today.  I'm not so sure about the meal today, but the drink looks interesting.  My covid test was negative today, so 1 more test on Friday, and I can take off my mask!  I feel well, so praying it stays that way!  

@JazzyVI sure hope you can get your radiator fixed!  It sure seems like it's pouring on you right now.  

@rafinmdPraying all goes well for you, thanks to @kazufor keeping us updated.  

@smitty34877it's good to hear that Tana is sable for now, how is the teenager enjoying cooking?  

Thanks to all who share here, I love the travel journeys I get to see.  Have a good afternoon, Karen

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, everyone.

The electrical outlets are all working properly.  It was all caused by a problem with the outside outlet and that is fixed so the other two inside are fixed.  We also know why the lights under the cabinets in the dining room don't work. That is also an easy fix.  I just need to get to the hardware store.  

Sue picked up her prescription for antibiotics and we are going to settle in for an afternoon of Netflix.  Still no results from my November 10th CT scan.

@JazzyV I hope your radiator problems can be fixed as easily as our electrical ones were.  

@rafinmd I'm glad you have a diagnosis and are being discharged.   Safe travels home, but don't rush things.

@Nickelpenny I'm enjoying your travelogue of Hawaii as this is the cruise that we'll be doing in February. 

@kazu Thank you for the Roy updates!   I hope your appointment goes well today.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, I am so sorry the appliance gremlin attacked your washing machine.  Between the washer, the HVAC, and the need for a new motor home, you'll be ready to sit on the corner with a tin cup.  

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

My parents were in a square dance group for a number of years when I was small.  Good memories!  I think the great granddaughters still have Mom's square dance skirts. And I had square dancing in the 5th grade -- fun!   Every day is chocolates day for me, and Terry @smitty34877 and Jacqui @kazu I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. 😉 😄 Also like lemon cream pie!  I'll pass on the drink and red wine, but the meal sounds yummy.  Thanks for thinking of Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser and me, Debbie @dfish! We'll eat the carrots.   I'd like all the recipes, but the first has more than a whole day's worth of sodium so will pass on that one.  I think the 2nd and 3rd recipes are the same (?)  but that's ok with me, I like that one LOL 😂

Today I'll be seeing my Nephrologist to find out what she thinks about my labs.  Hoping she doesn't think the slight dip in kidney function is worrisome.  

Terry @smitty34877 I'm glad Tana is feeling somewhat better but very sorry her breathing is so difficult.

Roy @rafinmd I hope you can be discharged today and back on the road to feeling better.

Vanessa @JazzyV Very very sorry about the night you had!!  As if you needed anything else. 😞 We all wish we could wave a magic wand and make everything better for you! 

Debbie @dfish I would be letting my realtor know about the electrical issues which were supposed to be all taken care of before you took possession of the house.  

We got these chocolate's at the end of our meal in Epicurean restaurant on our recent cruise.

IMG_20231115_205709.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JazzyV said:

It's 19F out and still windy, with a high of maybe 34. I don't think I can take much more. I was awakened around 1:30AM by a loud noise. The house alarm was on, so it wasn't that. Then I heard water gurgling in the radiator (never a good thing). I hobbled up to the third floor, and all was ok, as was the 2nd floor where the bedroom is. I went downstairs and it took a minute to figure out it was the living room radiator. There was water pooled on the oak floor. The marble top table in front of the radiator had the top dislodged, so something powerful happened. The lamp on it was wedged between the table and radiator. 2 Lladro porcelain pieces were on the floor 🥲; luckily one landed on the area rug and is ok, while the other has a hand broken off. The floor is covered in this now dry dirty grime. I haven't been back to sleep. I can only do maybe 5 minutes at a time working on it, due to leg pain. I turned off the water and called the plumber. Of course all the old guys who worked on radiators at this company have retired. I'm just trying to get the water shut off to this one radiator, so I can have heat and water to the rest of the house. So he's coming to look at it this afternoon, but I may need to find an HVAC company that works on boilers and radiators. So, how's your day going? 

OMG Vanessa - you can’t catch a break 😞. I sure hope your new guy can help with the radiator.

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Best wishes for your appointment today 🤞 

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning again.  It turns out it was the washer not the low water.  This morning it is still banging around instead of spinning smoothly.  DH thinks the thing filled with fluid that balances the drum and helps it spin is stuck.  After some research, he thinks we might need a new washer.  That would make two in one year.  One lasted 34 years and this on 15 years.  It looks like I'll be going to the laundromat tomorrow or Friday to get the rest of the clothes washed.

Darn appliance gremlin 😡. So sorry it has struck you twice this year 😢 

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

They had a story about cruising on NBC this morning about full cruise ships.   How is it on the cruises our group have been on lately?    

My cruise on the Rotterdam was just about sold out.  

Koningsdam was more than sold out but it was a Christmas & New Year’s cruise.

It seems that the nicer, more different itineraries are selling well and quite early.

11 minutes ago, dfish said:

The electrical outlets are all working properly.  It was all caused by a problem with the outside outlet and that is fixed so the other two inside are fixed.  We also know why the lights under the cabinets in the dining room don't work. That is also an easy fix.  I just need to get to the hardware store.  

Great news, Debbie 👍.  If it’s an easy fix it all sounds good.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I am home from my appointment with the Nephrologist and feeling relieved.  She said I'm doing great!  I was worried that the 2 point drop in my kidney function was serious, but she said it's normal to see fluctuations like this, and as long as it stays in the same range not to worry.  Whew!  

She spent half the time asking me about cruising LOL -- and was thrilled to know that I've let the ship know I'm on a low salt diet. 

Now that's over, back to cruise planning!

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I am home from my appointment with the Nephrologist and feeling relieved.  She said I'm doing great!  I was worried that the 2 point drop in my kidney function was serious, but she said it's normal to see fluctuations like this, and as long as it stays in the same range not to worry.  Whew!  

She spent half the time asking me about cruising LOL -- and was thrilled to know that I've let the ship know I'm on a low salt diet. 

That's great news.  It's a good idea to let the ship know of your dietary restrictions ahead of time.  I'm sure they'll very tasty meals for you even without all the sodium.

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser I'm sorry to hear you need another new washer this year.  It's such a pain to have to go to the laundromat in the meantime.  Makes you appreciate the comforts of home when these types of things happen.

My DD got a copy of her future son-in-law Chris's Grandma's obituary last night and immediately noticed a weird coincidence.  The Grandma's birthday was the exact same day and year that my late DMIL was born.  Same exact day!  What are the odds?  The obituary listed her as being married 77 years and being survived by her husband, her 13 children, 34 grandchildren, 55 great grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.  119 survivors!  What an amazing woman (and family)!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, summer slope said:

@dfish, Debbie, I can go online at my hospital account and get my results the next day. 

One of the reasons I try to have lab tests done by a specific hospital group here is that the make the results available online right away. The other hospital group makes you get them from the doctor (although mine forwards them promptly).

A second reason is that the first hospital group does blood draws by appointment. The other one has you show up and wait, wait, wait, and I'm too nervous for that.

• Like 21

41 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That's great news.  It's a good idea to let the ship know of your dietary restrictions ahead of time.  I'm sure they'll very tasty meals for you even without all the sodium.

Thank you Sandi, it was a great relief.  Yes the meals are still tasty (we've done one shorter cruise with this dietary restriction).  Probably not as low-salt as I make at home, but at least lower than the usual on the menu.  I haven't eaten in the Canaletto yet with this restriction and I have to wonder how they would manage it since Italian food can have a lot of sodium.

• Like 18

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

They had a story about cruising on NBC this morning about full cruise ships.   How is it on the cruises our group have been on lately? 

Nieuw Statendam Dec 10 cruise (1st Caribbean cruise after TA) has been sold out for a while. A cruise for the NA was cancelled (I think so she could go into dry dock) and a lot of folks switched to the NS. 

• Like 17

Yay!  What great news 🙂. So happy for you.  Have fun planning.

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

How do you find out if your ship is sold out?

If you go to plan a cruise and look for the date and ship and if it is missing.  Choose sold out..

the ships sold out appear there.  I have learned that from doing the Bon Voyage threads as a number of the sailings have been sold out.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Oh my. I'm beat and hurting more. The plumber came. Due to threaded pipe leading to the radiator, he couldn't put a shutoff valve in. Being resourceful, he drained the whole system, then disconnected the radiator from above, capping both ends coming up through the floor. Then he had to refill the system and bleed it. I now have heat (except in the living room) and water! He said he could see the floor cupping. My poor 100+ year old quarter sawn oak (tiger oak). I filed a claim with my homeowner's insurance and a restoration team is coming this evening; hopefully they can mitigate the floor damage and maybe do some of the cleanup. Then I'll need to get someone to put in a new radiator.

@RMLincoln You have just been through major life changes, so no wonder things seem off. Be gentle with yourselves.

@Nickelpenny You're living the life! Thanks for sharing with us.

@kazu Thanks for sharing Roy's messages.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Oh no on the washer. I miss the good old days of appliances lasting 30 years or more. I think all the electronics are partly to blame; I try to buy simpler models.

@rafinmd I'm glad you are being discharged. Take it easy making your way toward home.

@dfish I'm glad it was an easy fix. I hope Sue is feeling better soon. And that's awful about the CT results still not available. 

@Cruising-along Great news on the lab results.

Now I can relax a bit, eat something and maybe have a big mug of decaf coffee. I deferred my morning coffee due to no facilities (I should have gotten a couple of buckets of water before shutting of the house water).

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

I am a certified chocoholicand I love lemon pie except with meringue instead of whipped cream on top. The spare ribs sound good if someone prepared them for me however tonight a bunch of us are taking my sister-in-law out to Carraba's for her birthday.

@rafinmd Glad you are being discharged from hospital but please take it very easy getting home.

@Cruising-along If it is not to much trouble please email me regarding the reduced salt diets on the HAL ships. My cardiiologist has told me to cut down on salt amd I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to do that. My email is themanginos@cox.net.

Jane. 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

@dfish, Debbie, I can go online at my hospital account and get my results the next day. 

I can, too, but they aren't posted until the images have been read.  So far, no posting.  It isn't that the surgeon is holding out on me.  The problem is that the deadbeat radiologists haven't read the films yet and posted the results.  I tried to find contact information for them with no luck.  I tried to find contact information for the hospital administration with no luck. These people insulate themselves quite well.

Super news!

Oh, @JazzyV Vanessa, that sounds like a royal pain.  At least someone came out today.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A late check on!  

@JazzyV yikes Vanessa, no fun at all!   We too are having hearing issues, our furnaces are taking turns going out!  Hopefully will be fixed tomorrow, but little heat is NO fun! 
@Cruising-along yay!   So glad it’s all good!  

We get the granddog tomorrow, so need to puppy proof!   The crate is ready 

IMG_0029.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5